Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

One side has significantly more grass/snow than the other, hence the bloody names. When you call directions, people get confused for a handful of reasons. If people understand grass/snow, it will be used. Deal with it. Do you think everyone knows what the freaking port side of a ship is? No, but mariners still use the sailing terms. Suck it up, Buttercup.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you do it? Why necro this monster? WHHHHHHYYYYYYYY!?!?

:mad:

Why did you awaken the beast?

Now we have to sacrifice your children to put it to rest.

You two are monsters you know that? You almost made me pissed my pants laughing.

Can't. Suppress. Giggles. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I don't understand how anyone who has played this map more than 3 times can get confused over grass and snow. This is not a complex map. There is one side that is covered in snow, and there is one side that is covered in grass. They are always the same spot. You might prefer east/west, but that doesn't mean snow/grass should annoy or baffle you.

This lol if you can't tell which is Grass and which is Snow after playing it a few times just quit pvping

This whole conversation should be irrelevant.

There are 3 bases, 3 for heaven's sake.

If your team controls 1 base and you are at another....presumably fighting to cap it......you should easily know where your single controlled base is in relation to you. In the unlikely event that the team holding 2 bases sends a guy or two out to cap your single base any call of 'HELP!' or 'Ahhhhh!!!!' should allow you to take off in the correct direction. If you don't know that direction you have bigger problems than we want to address here.

Personally in this situation I always keep 1/2 an eye on the hp of the guy defending our one base just in case he's one of those that like to excite things up by calling inc at the spawn point.

If your team holds 2 bases, you are guarding 1 and you see 'HELP'....immediately you think, are we fighting to hold this base? Yes - Keep fighting, No - then the other base needs help. As above if you can't find the other base you control you have bigger problems than we want to address here.

If your team holds all 3 bases...well I won't go on as if you get into that situation you know what you are doing or they are so bad that if they do cap one you'll quickly get it back.

I know I've over simplified it a bit but the tl;dr version......use your map and your brain.

Edited by PalihoJ

To anyone who says snow/grass is simpler, tell me how you tell which side is which when you're at mid fighting next to the turret. Please tell me how your awesomeness figures out which way to go when someone calls snow/grass, and you can't visually see the sides. Edited by Smashbrother

To anyone who says snow/grass is simpler, tell me how you tell which side is which when you're at mid fighting next to the turret. Please tell me how your awesomeness figures out which way to go when someone calls snow/grass, and you can't visually see the sides.

It's not simpler for the responder, but it may be simpler for the caller. If they get jumped by stealth, they may not immediately think east/west, but may see grass/snow. Not to mention they are probably calling for help at the only/only other node that's green, so probably just head that way.

I'm still not sure why anyone is complaining that their team actually attempted to call incs anyway, however they said it. Grass/snow is infinitely better than watching the node change from green to red while still at mid.

Agreed, Grass and Snow is just lazy and separates the Jersey Shore watchers from the rest.

I really don't understand how some people find it difficult to look at the mini map and know which side is west and which is east.

On top of that, east and west is consistent with every map. You'll be calling east and west for Ancient Hypergates as well. AND it is easier to shorten when typing and will give you more time to fight and defend.

For example, on EVERY map (even HB has north side and south side)... you can shorten inc east 3 to just E 3... or W 2 -- that is super easy to type and most educated players get it right away.

However, how many times have you been in this situation and it just blew your mind!

you: "inc W 3"

derp: "wehre"

you: "west"

derp: "but where??"

you: "effing west!"

you: "grass you derp!"

;)

Ok, how many of you we're in spawn when and inc was called, or died at a node and wanted to quickly get back to it. If you have played the civil war quite a few times, I know you have. If someone calls east/west you have to find whether east/west is left or right in relation to your spawn point, which takes away some time for most people. However if someone calls snow/grass, all you have to do is look at which side is green and which side is white, which is very easy when looking at the area from above. Also, do you really think that everyone in the game is intelligent enough to quickly determine where east and west are in relation to their character.

Smart players can instantly figure out which door or node is in trouble, regardless if the callout is east, left, other door, help, grass, glass, or sniowdfdf.

You shouldn't need someone to follow designated protocols for helping you figure out where the action is.

Also, Grass/Snow is better because you don't have to adjust your eyes to check the minimap. When the game is going very fast paced, it only takes a split second to look at your screen for grass or snow. But to stop in the middle of a mosh pit and refocus your eyes on the minimap definitely takes longer, even if its a fraction of a second longer.

Looking at the minimap also causes you to look away from the action. If someone calls Snow or Grass, you don't need to look away at the minimap. You just continue looking in the center of the screen and you can continue the melee circle of death with someone without losing focus.

Smart players can instantly figure out which door or node is in trouble, regardless if the callout is east, left, other door, help, grass, glass, or sniowdfdf.

You shouldn't need someone to follow designated protocols for helping you figure out where the action is.

Also, Grass/Snow is better because you don't have to adjust your eyes to check the minimap. When the game is going very fast paced, it only takes a split second to look at your screen for grass or snow. But to stop in the middle of a mosh pit and refocus your eyes on the minimap definitely takes longer, even if its a fraction of a second longer.

Looking at the minimap also causes you to look away from the action. If someone calls Snow or Grass, you don't need to look away at the minimap. You just continue looking in the center of the screen and you can continue the melee circle of death with someone without losing focus.

It takes literally a tiny fraction of a second to check the mini-map. It is a map, treat the directions like it's one.

It takes literally a tiny fraction of a second to check the mini-map. It is a map, treat the directions like it's one.

I agree but if you are on a melee toon and need to stay perfectly spaced so you can continue to DPS, looking away from the action could potentially cause you to lose sight of your target if there is a big mosh pit. If the callout is snow, i can just see snow or grass in the background without looking away at all.

Yeah... What's up with that?

What I have noticed is that not everyone memorizes which direction is East or West. Hell, I have a hard time remembering East from West myself, it isn't ingrained in my head that West is left and East is right (Looking at a compass right now to know this btw) so it is harder for me to follow which way to go when someone shouts "East." It's easier to do on NC since the turrets are literally labeled "East" and "West" where as in CW and Voidstar, they are just "Turret" and "Door" respectively.

<.<

Okay... Novare coast seems pretty easy because both spawns share an orientation with north and south.

Huttball... I will never understand how people end up going the wrong way... >.> maybe I'm just always focussed on the enamy goal and never have that moment of "Oh ****, how'd I get this ball?"

Voidstar I've started to use east and west, except the last room where it's actually like North and East... I think direction from spawn is usually good enough as long as you have half decent players. Usually the one's ************ about "use East and West" are the ones that couldn't count they were 6 vs. 2 on one door.

As for Civil War... -.- it took me 2 matches to orient myself with grass or snow. I -never- get confused and I never have to look at the screen to see if I'm on snow or not. <.<

<.<

Okay... Novare coast seems pretty easy because both spawns share an orientation with north and south.

Huttball... I will never understand how people end up going the wrong way... >.> maybe I'm just always focussed on the enamy goal and never have that moment of "Oh ****, how'd I get this ball?"

Voidstar I've started to use east and west, except the last room where it's actually like North and East... I think direction from spawn is usually good enough as long as you have half decent players. Usually the one's ************ about "use East and West" are the ones that couldn't count they were 6 vs. 2 on one door.

As for Civil War... -.- it took me 2 matches to orient myself with grass or snow. I -never- get confused and I never have to look at the screen to see if I'm on snow or not. <.<

Hey you. I want my bonus points. You promised!

To anyone who says snow/grass is simpler, tell me how you tell which side is which when you're at mid fighting next to the turret. Please tell me how your awesomeness figures out which way to go when someone calls snow/grass, and you can't visually see the sides.

You're an idiot

Edited by Didy_Kush

It can't always be oriented "North". Both teams cannot possible have two opposing northern directions. The map can always face "up", which is different from North. Snow and Grass are easy landmarks for people that understand there is no North.

In fact due to this obvious attempt at trolling, I propose we start up a "Grass and Snow" campaign. In fact, we should rename "Civil War" to "Grass and Snow"

Time to get out of Mom's basement me thinks ;)

I totally agree with that. Not sure why they don't consider the inverted map. Same goes with voidstar, Left & Right are the directions based on how you are entering the arena.