So I'm Capping Out On Classic Comms Today; Amber/Eric, Please, a Response?

skitzogreg

Amber/Eric,

I'm capping out today on the classic comms during my daily runs. Numerous posts have talked about a lack of individuals in the group finder (potentially), people not wanting to run dailies, a pointless limit, etc., but it never actually bothered me until now. In fact, those of us who run dailies who were not capped out from the 2.0 transfer will undoubtedly run out today. I enjoy logging on daily and doing my 'rounds' of dailies. Now, at least until Sunday with Makeb, I don't really have a reason to log on since I don't PvP. After the Makeb content is finished for my toon(s) next week, I'm concerned that I will (almost) be done playing for the week on Thursday, even though there are other comms to obtain because it's what I like to do. Not to mention I like the campaign gear to rip out mods for alts/companions.

You've had a lot of angry people over these comms limits. You've had, honestly, a huge amount of immature posts that bash Bioware and EA for imposing what they consider a 'needless' limit, and I agree that the wording of some of the backlash is uncalled for and flat out rude. The real question I just want to ask is, "Why?". Why do we have this limit? Only running dailies for cash doesn't carry a point after you have so many credits and a wallet of Cartel Coins. Can we please, please, please, get this weekly cap removed? I'm fine with a 400 cap total for these. Because once I go near that cap I can spend the comms, go back, and start over. Now I can't.

Please, can you at least let me (or rather, us) know why this was imposed? I'll take a PM if that's required and won't re-post the message. I just really want to understand the logic behind this due to the fact it's hurting the gameplay experience for no apparent reason.

EDIT:

There was a reply by Jesse in another thread about this. Next to last post.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=623430&page=2

Edited by skitzogreg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have been searching for an answer to this. I even PM'd Eric and got no response. I agree with you completely that the tone in many posts is over the top and rude. But I have personally posted at least 3 times about this and not received a single response. :rak_02:

This impacts folks like you and I, that like to do dailies/weeklys for the comms/credits, who are already maxed out on comms by Thursday, and impacts others by increasing queue times as a result. I see no logic behind this other than to artificially prolong the time required to gear your character and companions. Which for paying subscribers like you and I this is seriously impacting the way we play and is restricting us for no reason.

While I agree that the comm limit needs to be increased, or even removed...if I ever run into hitting the cap, I'll just switch to one of my other 50's and start up on those toons.

I have that option as well, but it's much easier to do with my main toon (who's actually geared). Nobody wants to run around with a lvl. 50 healer with 13k HP. I like quickly running the dailies and calling it a day; I enjoy it quite a bit. If I had to drag out the process with another toon, I wouldn't be too thrilled to do it. I know it's an odd rebuttal, but it really would be better if the cap was removed.

I think it would be great for them to give us a real response as to their reasoning -- and make sure they understand what they're doing.

Maybe the comm rewards need to be lowered? Or the cap changed and prices upped? I don't mind them "artificially increasing" the time it takes -- but I think it should be closer to realistic.

I'd love to be able to do my dailies 6-7 days a week, and still get rewards. I'd understand them doing 6 and not 7, because there needs to be some balance. I don't want to put "casual" players at too much of a disadvantage if they don't play every single day -- but I also don't want to be "punished" for doing them every day.

Great thread, though! Hopefully we can all voice our opinions maturely -- the devs absolutely do deserve respect, and maybe the heightened levels of respect will give us a speedy response! :-D

I know the WoW argument has been used before and some people hate the argument but here goes.

Unless I am mistaken when Firelands came out in Cata. There was a weekly limit on how many of the particular currency you needed for tier gear?

I think this was done on all of the gear commendations to keep everything on the same level.

The argument for the limit to begin with is to slow progression. Stops people from completing all the content in 2 or 3 weeks because they get all the gear. I completely understand why it is looked down upon because "we can't play it how we want" but it is really all Bioweare (or any game company for that matter) can do to stop people from complaining in 2 weeks that there is nothing else for them to do.

A questions for you guys. And please don't take this as a slight or as an insult, as I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Classic comms in my view are as worthless as tionese comms were. Maybe even worse. Why? Because Blackhole gear is now the default gear at 50. All HM Flashpoints and Ops drop BlackHole or better gear as default. So... accruing Classic Comms is pointless. In addition, you don't need Black Hole or Classic Comms to run Makeb. The green gear drops are sufficient for a fresh 50 (Columi level or better) and the Planet Equip Modification vendor on Makeb sells Rakata level Armoring, Mods, and Enhancements for Planet Comms which is more than sufficient for Makeb.

So, I ask you. Why the drive to get more Classic comms? I have a feeling that very soon everyone will be capped with Classic comms because they are literally of no use. Am I missing something?

BTW, IMO, the drive of for Basic Comms. That and the Elite and Ultimate comms will get you gear you can not get elsewhere.

Edit: One more thought. The difficulty for HM FPS and SM Ops didn't change at 50 so all you need is the equivilant of Tionese to run them. Hardly seems like an reason to gather Classic coms since if you are undergeared you will likely be paired up with peeps that are over geared.

Edited by Rafaman

A questions for you guys. And please don't take this as a slight or as an insult, as I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Classic comms in my view are as worthless as tionese comms were. Maybe even worse. Why? Because Blackhole gear is now the default gear at 50. All HM Flashpoints and Ops drop BlackHole or better gear as default. So... accruing Classic Comms is pointless. In addition, you don't need Black Hole or Classic Comms to run Makeb. The green gear drops are sufficient for a fresh 50 (Columi level or better) and the Planet Equip Modification vendor on Makeb sells Rakata level Armoring, Mods, and Enhancements for Planet Comms which is more than sufficient for Makeb.

So, I ask you. Why the drive to get more Classic comms? I have a feeling that very soon everyone will be capped with Classic comms because they are literally of no use. Am I missing something?

BTW, IMO, the drive of for Basic Comms. That and the Elite and Ultimate comms will get you gear you can not get elsewhere.

I think part of the problem. People want to run the dailies. Either because right now they don't have the expansion, or they want to do a flashpoint/operation, they want the credits, want the experience points, or they just think it fun.

And the cap makes it seem like you are not getting all the reward you should be getting. Which i understand.

I think a solution they should implement. If your weekly cap is full. You should maybe get a credit compensation.

I know the WoW argument has been used before and some people hate the argument but here goes.

Unless I am mistaken when Firelands came out in Cata. There was a weekly limit on how many of the particular currency you needed for tier gear?

I think this was done on all of the gear commendations to keep everything on the same level.

The argument for the limit to begin with is to slow progression. Stops people from completing all the content in 2 or 3 weeks because they get all the gear. I completely understand why it is looked down upon because "we can't play it how we want" but it is really all Bioweare (or any game company for that matter) can do to stop people from complaining in 2 weeks that there is nothing else for them to do.

I completely understand this logic. The only issue herein is regarding the gear level associated with the Classic Commendations. Please note this is the only specific cap I'm calling out, due to the fact the Classic Comms correspond with the daily quests, whereas other caps are not likely to be hit. The Classic Comms are there to purchase the 'Old' high-end gear; not the new gear that's effectively required for lvl. 55 ops/HM runs. If they want to limit those, which they do, that's fine as far as progression goes. All limiting the Classic Comms does is inhibit ones ability to gear up with, well, lesser status gear, and removes one of the primary points of running a daily. In other words, the gear that goes along with the Classic Comms doesn't affect the 'true' content in the came. It's more of a bonus; a way to gear up your comps. Removing this ability actually hurts more than it helps with that argument. Now that we can't gear up our alts/comps, it's harder to get the better gear. Does this make sense?

Classic comms =/= end-game

Edit: One more thought. The difficulty for HM FPS and SM Ops didn't change at 50 so all you need is the equivilant of Tionese to run them. Hardly seems like an reason to gather Classic coms since if you are undergeared you will likely be geared up with peeps that are over geared.

Then why put a cap :confused:

I don't agree with the planetary comm limit either. It just makes no sense at all. I had 50 comms by the time I reached Balmorra. I have all CM gear and a cybertech at 400. I don't need armoring, mods or enhancements (have a artificer too) so I take the comms but the cap is way too low.

Somehow -- my mind completely failed to realize this.

I completely agree -- Classic comms don't deserve a cap. You can get better gear by running HM Ops . The gear at the vendors is outdated.

I wonder, though -- even the Campaign gear isn't "insanely" outdated. You won't be trading it in for Makeb greens anytime soon. Maybe this has something to do with it?

I don't know -- but I completely agree that something that isn't end-game shouldn't have a weekly cap. On my main, with the exception of gearing my companion, the classic comms are useless.

Then why put a cap :confused:

I guess I'm confused the other way. Why would I care about a cap. It doesn't matter.

The only thing that might be exploited is the sale of the gear back to vendors for creds. With not cap this would be a source of revenue. But again, I wouldn't really care that much as Classic comms really don't help me gear up for 55 endgame.

You guys do know that by complaining that the cap is to low they (EA/Bioware) are going to take that as you are getting to many commendations right?

No, they won't. The gear is too low-specced with a high comm requirement to get any fewer comms.

Think the planet comms limit is even more ridiculous. It's only 50! With the conversion I ended up at 100, which I assume was the max limit. But at 50+ what am I supposed to do with these? I don't want to spend them just to spend. And now I'm getting these planet comms on Makeb but I'm not because I'm way over the max limit.

I sort of understand the slowing of the progression of the other comms, but there is no progression with these planet comms, so why the limit? Why such a low limit?

Head scratching.

I don't agree with the planetary comm limit either. It just makes no sense at all. I had 50 comms by the time I reached Balmorra. I have all CM gear and a cybertech at 400. I don't need armoring, mods or enhancements (have a artificer too) so I take the comms but the cap is way too low.

I think the point is that they want people to use planetary comms while leveling and not hoard them for the endgame, where they really want people to transition to so-called end-game content.

That said, I have to say that this thread exemplifies why MMOGs do not have a wider appeal--it's all about a gear grind and "getting compensation" to play content, and not so much about playing because it's actually FUN. I'm not sure who's more to blame about this, the companies for doing this because it's become the way to keep people playing (and paying, hopefully), or the players who have fallen into the trap of thinking that's all there is.

I think the point is that they want people to use planetary comms while leveling and not hoard them for the endgame, where they really want people to transition to so-called end-game content.

That said, I have to say that this thread exemplifies why MMOGs do not have a wider appeal--it's all about a gear grind and "getting compensation" to play content, and not so much about playing because it's actually FUN. I'm not sure who's more to blame about this, the companies for doing this because it's become the way to keep people playing (and paying, hopefully), or the players who have fallen into the trap of thinking that's all there is.

No, no. You're missing the point. I enjoy the dailies! I wouldn't run the dailies for a few comms here or there if I didn't enjoy them. But the reward makes it worth the effort. Without a reward, it's a needless grind. I get excited to turn in for my comms.

No, no. You're missing the point. I enjoy the dailies! I wouldn't run the dailies for a few comms here or there if I didn't enjoy them. But the reward makes it worth the effort. Without a reward, it's a needless grind. I get excited to turn in for my comms.

Agreed! The comms are the carrot on the stick.

Except, the string is too long -- and you figure out you can eat the carrot half-way through the week. It would be more beneficial for SWTOR if we couldn't figure out how to catch the carrot.

Think the planet comms limit is even more ridiculous. It's only 50! With the conversion I ended up at 100, which I assume was the max limit. But at 50+ what am I supposed to do with these? I don't want to spend them just to spend. And now I'm getting these planet comms on Makeb but I'm not because I'm way over the max limit.

I sort of understand the slowing of the progression of the other comms, but there is no progression with these planet comms, so why the limit? Why such a low limit?

Head scratching.

The cap is a total cap on storage for planetary comms, not how many you earn. So a player could theoretically earn thousands of planetary comms in a week, as long as they spent them as they got them.

The cap is a total cap on storage for planetary comms, not how many you earn. So a player could theoretically earn thousands of planetary comms in a week, as long as they spent them as they got them.

Bingo. Even if the total Classic Comm cap was 150 with no weekly cap, I wouldn't complain due to the fact I can spend them as I get them and not worry about being limited.

Ya I get that. I just like to spend them when I'm ready. I usually used these comms for alts. I'd spend them while leaving the alt to help them out. I'm not alting right now, but still forced to spend them. I'd rather just collect as much as I want and spend when ready.

Ya I get that. I just like to spend them when I'm ready. I usually used these comms for alts. I'd spend them while leaving the alt to help them out. I'm not alting right now, but still forced to spend them. I'd rather just collect as much as I want and spend when ready.

The best (though not ideal) way around this is to spend a few of the comms on high-end orange gear and sell for cash.

Planetary com have a cap of 50 and no weekly cap. So all you have to do is spend them. If there is nothing you want then why do you care about the cap? So you can collect a million of them and look at all the pretty planetary com in your bag? Some of the people that are complaining about the cap (not weekly cap) needs to spend them. If there is nothing you want to buy then what difference does it make if your cap or not?