How is the darkside Consular story?

AGSThomas

Without revealing TOO much, how is the consular story if you play it mostly as darkside? I am playing a darkside Sith Warrior and the light choices I make really seem kinda goofy and out of place. Like the story was meant for Darkside. Is the consular meant to be played lightside?

I just finished it up this weekend. It's maybe not always 'goofy'... but you're still out there doing some pretty nice things. A lot of the story line is spent helping different groups of people, so there were some moments where you snark back at someone, then two seconds later your only response can be "yes, sire. I am more than happy to help you and your people."

Even the non-affiliated conversations usually resolve to something goody goody. The conversation wheel will have text that may say "You people are terrible soldiers" but, when selected, your character says "Your people show great promise as fighters." I think there were only a few laugh-out-loud ones. "Is this some freaky local thing?" being one of my favorites from an early quest line.

TLDR: You can, but the quest line and remainder of the dialogue still seem written by Glinda the Good.

You definitely can. I played mostly dark, doing a few choices on the light side by "respect" or "love/affinity" to the moment/situation. But I basically played my Counsular as "the end justifies the ways" (La Fin justifie les moyens). Don't know this proverb in english.

Defending my beloved Republic at all costs. It does get you to some strange situation thaough, sometimes ^^

Won't tell more if you don't want any spoilers ;)

Except maybe my huge disapointment at the end, while being a dark side counsular...

(don't click and read my comment in my signature if no spoiler is wanted)

I played the Consular story the first time around as Dark side, and it always seemed laughable for most parts. I went out of my way to make my character say and do the most twisted things she could, but the Jedi Council still hailed her as a saint. It didn't make much sense to me. It seemed that the bad guys acknowledged the terrible decisions you make, so why couldn't the Jedi Council? They just kind of blow it off like "Oh, that was regrettable... But you still did a great job and we couldn't have sent anyone better than you!"

I started a second Consular, and really... The story is a lot more enjoyable as light side. It's a story that was meant to be played light side.

I've played full darkside till 50 and it's probably just as entertaining as playing darkside of something else republic side. It may take you a bit out of the immersion a little bit as you often have to wonder "how am I going to justify this to the Jedi Counsel?". Often I'd get back from story missions waiting to be cast out of the Order because what I just did was kind of the opposite of what I was just sent out to do. I kept on expecting them to come to their senses and figure out I was screwing everyone over. Any time you play bad when you're meant to play good, or good when you're meant to play bad there's going to be some kinks in the story. Overall, I felt my darkside choices were smoothed out and somehow I always got away with it xD

GL, enjoy being a blight on the galaxy :p

Thanks Dinadan ;)

@ SpankyMcFlych: I think this was the only big issue in it. But other than that I didn't saw any character I killed in later scene. Maybe I'm just blind. :/

Overall I thought the general choices you can make in other missions and in dungeons are far MORE hardcore/violent/darksided choices... Like the two choices on the Esseles ? So darker as killing a "sith/jedi/scum/not-strong-enough-to-resist-dark-side". At least it's my point of view.

But clearly. If I was to start over again a consular, I would't definitely do it Light sided, at least for the whole class story. As I was really upset with my ending :/

(by the way, I wonder if doing every choice of the class story light sided, while doing every other choice dark side, to which end that brings you...)

I'm playing one this way right now. They didn't do a very good job making dark side choices affect the story. You'd think after my master being "appalled" at me threatening villagers on Tython, for example, and my eventual showing up with a red saber, that the Jedi Council would take note and take action...

@ SpankyMcFlych: I think this was the only big issue in it. But other than that I didn't saw any character I killed in later scene. Maybe I'm just blind. :/

Generally, I think that any character that you COULD kill/allow to die won't appear on-screen again after that story-arc, because it would require too much effort to keep tabs on all of that.

The sole exception would seem to be the finale of the Class story, where everyone that you didn't kill off/allow to die seems to turn up.

Going dark side on any republic character makes you schizophrenic. I tried going with a female darkside Jedi knight, within the same conversation I spoke with a dark voice wanting to be nasty to people then the very next line the voice was changed to that of a little school girl "of course I'll help!"

You also do/say some very obvious darkside things infront of the jedi council and they don't bat an eye lid or just say "careful, that path leads down the dark side" Well no s**t sherlock, I've got glowing red eyes, a face like a drug addict and I'm pretty far down that path and you're warning me about it?

Sorry but going darkside on republic or lightside on Empire is really, really stupid and no matter how much BW wanted the system to have both sides it really doesn't work in practice, they'd have to make two separate storylines and conversation voices for it to work.

I'm playing one this way right now. They didn't do a very good job making dark side choices affect the story. You'd think after my master being "appalled" at me threatening villagers on Tython, for example, and my eventual showing up with a red saber, that the Jedi Council would take note and take action...

I just finished Act 1 and agree with this (some spoilers below).

"Hey, now that you can shield people go see whats up with this jedi master. "

"Oh, you killed him? That's too bad, check on this one now."

"He's dead too? ok...see whats up with this other one."

When I think dark side republic I think someone who is going to do whatever it takes to make sure the republic succeeds...regardless of how "bad" it is.

Right now it just feels like I am running around screwing over the republic.

• 1 month later...
You definitely can. I played mostly dark, doing a few choices on the light side by "respect" or "love/affinity" to the moment/situation. But I basically played my Counsular as "the end justifies the ways" (La Fin justifie les moyens). Don't know this proverb in english.

Defending my beloved Republic at all costs. It does get you to some strange situation thaough, sometimes ^^

Won't tell more if you don't want any spoilers ;)

Except maybe my huge disapointment at the end, while being a dark side counsular...

(don't click and read my comment in my signature if no spoiler is wanted)

I agree. Dark side ending on the conuslar dissapointed me extremely.

consular in general is pretty underwhelming. although i went full ls (merely as a joke throwaway toon dork), i felt that the dark choices i saw were fairly intriguing and i could believe it worked as well or better as light.

thing is that this isn't kotor, where your choices actually feel like they make a difference. its a railroad, and while i dont mind that, it can make certain alignment options feel 'off'. and yea, by default the consular has a lightside friendly story.

Sorry but going darkside on republic or lightside on Empire is really, really stupid and no matter how much BW wanted the system to have both sides it really doesn't work in practice, they'd have to make two separate storylines and conversation voices for it to work.

I can attest that lightside Bounty Hunter works perfectly well.

• 1 year later...
thing is that this isn't kotor, where your choices actually feel like they make a difference. its a railroad, and while i dont mind that, it can make certain alignment options feel 'off'. and yea, by default the consular has a lightside friendly story.

Someone hasn't played the Imperial Agent storyline! :o

In general, the complaints I'm reading here about LS/DS only working for one side (LS for repub, DS for empire) are only true for certain classes. LS SW, LS BH, DS JK (done smartly), and DS Smuggler all work...

I really wanted to play a Kreia-esque Jedi Consular - one not bogged down by dogma and self-restrictions. But I think after reading this thread, I'll have to try a LS SI to get there :/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I did LS sith inquisitor and it felt fine. I wanted to do a second consular but I always have a hard time making "evil" choices so I'm kind of glad that I won't miss out on anything if I do my second consular LS.

• 2 weeks later...
I did LS sith inquisitor and it felt fine. I wanted to do a second consular but I always have a hard time making "evil" choices so I'm kind of glad that I won't miss out on anything if I do my second consular LS.

Well, now that this thread was dragged out of the grave, here are my 2c:

DS Smuggler is great, a self-serving rogue. Neither a scoundrel with a heart of gold, nor a comic-style villain who is evil for evil's sake. IMO it's the most satisfying class story ending on Rep Side. Corso doesn't approve, but who cares.

If you play DS Trooper, play female, and play it like a renegade Mass Effect playtrough. A bit exaggerated but when you're fine playing a galactic a-hole, it's good.

DS knight plays fine, it's basically replaying Anakin's fall, and you have RP reasons to go full nuts after your first meeting with the main antagonist.

DS Consular has a lot of wasted potential, you are still the great galactic healer, literally and figuratively. Kinda works when you keep the "for the greater good" theme in mind, and remember that the jedi are agents of balance, not light; but it needs a lot of retconning in your head to play well.

On imp side on the other hand, every single class plays great light and dark side, maybe because imp light side means being a decent person in a fascist regime, rather than a naive philanthropist.

Edited by Mubrak