New to HM FP's

OK, I've always played solo till this point and I played my first HM FP today. When the purple loot drops appear, the box says "need" "greed", or "disassemble". If I don't need the item,. i.e. not for my class, what do I do? I missed out on same daily comms and other stuff because I chose to close the box instead of picking something. What do i have to do if I don't need the gear item and don't want to make my teammates angry but at the same time still try to get stuff like daily comms and biometric crystal alloys? Thank you.?

if i have no intention of using the item or i would like it for a companion, i just greed. if i dont get it oh well. if a columi piece drops and its not for my class i usually pass unless i am running with guildies that dont need it and than i will see if its ok to need for companion or i greed. I would have to say the #1 rule doing any endgame pve content is ask if you can need something outside of you class gear.

I understand, thank you very much, so I will either pass or greed if need it for a companion, but will ask for need if outside of class, i thought there was a timer on the roll but I guess not, I thought I had to be quick. Again, first FP and didn't really understand the way things work. Thanks.

The OP mentioned missing out on comms so I figured I'd note, even if you greed/pass on the blue/purple gear, you can still obtain the crystals and commendations by looting the body/chest.

Typically, tionese crystals and daily commendations are lootable by each person.

Wow, once again thanks everyone for the input, I haven't never played with other people before outside of Madden and really wsa in the dark, thanks so much for educating me, I really appreciate the advice, the last thing I need/want is to get potential friends/allies upset because I didn't know what I was doing. Thanks again.

The OP mentioned missing out on comms so I figured I'd note, even if you greed/pass on the blue/purple gear, you can still obtain the crystals and commendations by looting the body/chest.

Typically, tionese crystals and daily commendations are lootable by each person.

So you're saying that typically each person can go the chest and get some loot from it, not just the person who opened it?

So you're saying that typically each person can go the chest and get some loot from it, not just the person who opened it?

That is correct, each boss drops some form of crystals and/or comms..ie Columi crystals that you can use to trade in for gear. You must click on the boss or chest itself to receive these tokens for yourself.

Edited by Phill

To answer more specifically:

The game has a couple tiers of rolling. The lowest is greed. If everybody rolls greed, whoever got the highest number will win the item.

Need is highest priority; if even one person rolls need, every greed roll is ignored and that person gets the item. If more than one person rolls need, whichever one of them got the higher number gets the item.

Standard etiquette in SWTOR is that you may "Need" on an item if it is a direct upgrade for your PC in your role, full stop. Anything else is a "greed." Are you a tank and it's DPS gear? That's a greed roll. Are you a consular and it's good heavy armor for Qyzen? That's a greed roll. Are you a GTN mastermind who can sell it for a tidy profit? That's a greed roll.

Now, most people in PuGs won't necessarily notice or care if you roll for an item that *is* for your class but *isn't* for your particular spec. I've even seen operatives Need on sniper rifles or vanguards on assault cannons (probably an automatic reflex, "oh it's a gun for my main stat!") and nobody even comments. Still not good karma, though, so I wouldn't do it. You'll also run into guilds who have specific rules about rolling on crafting components or other items that either nobody or anybody could legitimately "need", but those should be explained by the raid leader at the beginning of the instance.

It's also good etiquette to Pass on stuff when you're a level 40 running through Esseles with a level 10, or similar. Nothing that drops there is of any use to you even terms of vendoring it for pocket change, so it's a little mean to rob it from a player that could actually get benefit from it.

One more thing you also might see is that when someone really wants a particular, specific drop, they'll intentionally pass on everything else and ask to win that one piece. If you get two commandos running together, for example, one as DPS and one as healer, they'll be competing for all the same loot, so they might agree to make things simple by having one of them give up a lot of potential incidental money (from selling all the random Greed loot along the way) in order to get a guarantee on one item (by Needing while the other commando Passes). Not everyone will agree to that, though, and it'll only happen in casual group finder-style play, not serious raiding.

Edited by Quething