What use is the Legacy family tree?

DoctorBeckett

There is none.
Pretty much this.

It limits connections in any meaningful way so even as a tool to just map things out in your own mind, it fails.

I consider it one of the failed/abandoned things of the Legacy system and just ignore it.

I was told that the family tree enables you to send items cross-faction to your other characters on the tree. For instance, Imperial characters can send items to Republic characters as long as they're on the family tree.

This isn't true?

Edited by NightEngine

I was told that the family tree enables you to send items cross-faction to your other characters on the tree. For instance, Imperial characters can send items to Republic characters as long as they're on the family tree.

This isn't true?

It is not.

Your legacy is your legacy whether you use the family tree tool or not.

Sending mail cross faction has nothing to do with the family tree tool.

I don't see any practical use for it... Does anyone still use this?

I think it was an idea that the original developers had and probably intended to expand upon over time, but since they are gone and the game has changed a bit, it's now beyond useless.

I'm actually somewhat surprised it's still there given its uselessness. I mean, it still needs to be regression tested for each release. Even if that's automated testing, it still carries risk and expense. I'd have pulled it long ago and just dealt with the people who complained, probably fewer than complain that they get twice as much experience some weekends than they do most others.

Edited by DarthTHC

It's use is "fun". That's all. A concept I applaud.

Sure but I can't get even get half of my 20 characters in there without them becoming invisible. What would be much more fun is a sort of family picture of all your toons, so you can make wallpapers with them. The family tree will only have any point for me if I can put all characters in there without having half of them hidden from view so I won't have to scroll around to see them.

Edited by Tsillah

It's just for RP, which baffles me why they have it on non-RP servers.

How? RP involves other players right? Nobody but YOU knows who the hell the players are related to or anything. You can only ever see just YOUR tree...never someone elses...so what RP value could it possibly add?

How? RP involves other players right? Nobody but YOU knows who the hell the players are related to or anything. You can only ever see just YOUR tree...never someone elses...so what RP value could it possibly add?

You never talk to yourself? Why not RP with yourself? Sure, if somebody outside of your head see's you giggling all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it might seem a bit odd. But who cares? You have your own RP world going on inside your head and those outside shouldn't matter.

I like it honestly,I get to kind of figure out a little plotline in my head and I kind of get to look at my other characters while on one,, if I forget which level one guy was and am to lazy to log out and check I can just use the legacy window to find out. The one thing I wish though was that trees could be viewable to otehr players kind of like what is done with "inspect player", but I know that then a troll can just go, find all your character names that way and make you have to waste space on all your ignore lists after getting harrassed on each and every character.

You never talk to yourself? Why not RP with yourself? Sure, if somebody outside of your head see's you giggling all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it might seem a bit odd. But who cares? You have your own RP world going on inside your head and those outside shouldn't matter.

Well, yeah, but those voices tell me to do other things...:eek:

;)

As long as you don't start swearing at walls. One of my old neighbours used to do that. She was a really sweet old lady too. :D

I actually use the tree to keep track of the names of my alts, so that I know who to send stuff to. Like I sent an assault cannon to a character I plan to play later, and I forgot how I spelt his name.

Edited by horrorfaneightys

I actually use the tree to keep track of the names of my alts, so that I know who to send stuff to. Like I sent an assault cannon to a character I plan to play later, and I forgot how I spelt his name.

That's not a bad idea. I usually alt-tab to a text file I have for alts names I don't remember to send stuff to. I'll have to try that next time and see if it's faster than alt-tabbing.

I use my family tree to see who I need to make things for or gets things from. If only I could put notes on them or if their basic information was listed out like what level crafter they are and what recipes they have would be nice. Otherwise it's how I remember the names in my list to mail things around to.