Whos the bad guys?

Izutah

Hey guys.

Just thought i'd start this thread as it came up in a discussion with a group of friends. Who do you think are the bad guys sith empire or galactic republic? And why do you think that. Reason i ask as we was on about WoW aswell saying that the horde wernt actually bad guys they just had different views some good some bad but just like the alliance.

Lets see what you think, be nice to hear your views.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Empire is a totalitarian dictatorship ruled by a personality cult and governed by scheming, back-stabbing individuals who only look out for themselves and their own interests. It's rather like real life but turned up about two places on the "Oh god" metre. Social Darwinism certainly comes into play and they do employ slavery and speciesm, but as has been demonstrated it is possible to overcome those boundaries - even the Empire itself is looking at evolving past that to an extent.

Are they evil? Yeah, probably. They most certainly are from an outsider's point of view. From inside? Business as usual; it's the Sith way.

Basically you're asking about a universal concept of morality versus the actual application of morality and how it becomes quickly relative.

I've not played the Republic, but I can easily imagine that they have similar "evils" as the Empire, they're just more hypocritical about it.

The grammar nazis. And I'm with them.

"Who are the bad guys?" or, if you are going to use a contraction, "Who're the bad guys?" would be correct. Even if you are going for an ungrammatical contraction, you are still missing an apostrophe: "Who's the bad guys?"

While the Republic and the Jedi Order are not without flaws, the Sith Empire are the aggressors and villains.

Edited by Uluain

its all a matter of prospective

if your a imperial then the republic are the bad guys

if your republic then the empire are the bad guys

the definitive answer would be the empire are the bad guys because in the end the republic win and the winner writes the history books

the republic is a political system, it has corrupt ppl, but a few bad ppl doesn't make the republic bad (tho i prefer the word evil)

the empire is a political system, the system it's self is not bad/evil. in many ways its society runs well, its a well run well organized, bureaucrats dream, but at its heart the ppl that run the empire are xenophobic, paranoid control freaks. where as many of the servants of the empire are not evil, its open practices are.

the sith are the real evil in the empire, the religious cult that rule the empire. the dark council and the emperor, the lords and even the apprentices, they are the evil at the root of the empire.

and if your are into your EU books you would know. that when the empire isn't ruled by the sith its not evil at all

Well, the genocide doesn't help our image :)

its funny when you look at it as a whole if palp had of turned luke and crushed the rebellion the empire would be the good guys there writing the history books the republic would of been known as the evil ones

look at it this way if germany had of took the whole of europe and japan had of done there job and took care of america hitler would of been a war hero not a war criminal

messed up init

From the story and lore perspective, both the Empire and the Republic, as states, are not squeaky clean. The obvious answer is that the Empire are the "bad guys" but after leveling a Republic toon and nearing level 50, I'll tell you this - the Republic has some skeletons in the closet too; corrupt senators, murderous soldiers, extremely amoral secret projects - while not the norm, these things do happen in the Republic.

Now, the Sith Order in particular is pretty much evil but I have met decent non-Sith Imperials who fight on this side either because they don't have a choice or because they believe in their state and feel that they go to this war to protect the interests of their country.

its funny when you look at it as a whole if palp had of turned luke and crushed the rebellion the empire would be the good guys there writing the history books the republic would of been known as the evil ones

look at it this way if germany had of took the whole of europe and japan had of done there job and took care of america hitler would of been a war hero not a war criminal

messed up init

History is written by the winners. Right now? History is written by the political party with the most friends in the media. The Empire is ruled by propaganda, but then one must assume the Republic is also, it's just that their propaganda is written differently.

Hey guys.

Just thought i'd start this thread as it came up in a discussion with a group of friends. Who do you think are the bad guys sith empire or galactic republic? And why do you think that. Reason i ask as we was on about WoW aswell saying that the horde wernt actually bad guys they just had different views some good some bad but just like the alliance.

Lets see what you think, be nice to hear your views.

Truthfully, for me, it depends not only what side I'm playing, but what class I'm playing as well. With my bounty hunter, there is no bad or good, only the highest bidder, unless it's someone that takes action against one of my team. I would imagine if I got my smuggler up any farther, it would be the same for her. She doesn't owe the republic any loyalty, as such, she's just out to make a buck (but I can't play her until we can get more character slots so I can transfer her over). Most of my Empire characters, of course, don't think that they are the bad guys, and my play supports that. Yes, they may be dark, but they are fully convinced that embracing both the light and the dark is a much better way than the Jedi do it, although my SI has seen that power struggles are tearing the Empire apart - that doesn't mean she's going to stop that train.

Edited by Ashu-ri

How?... I mean... How can you ask this? The answer is obvious: the Sith Empire. Why?

Genocide? Check. Slavery? Check. Ruthless leaders that kill anyone who fails in even the slightest ways? Check.

Yes. The Republic has its skeletons. But what has the Republic done that is as bad or worse than Genocide.

How?... I mean... How can you ask this? The answer is obvious: the Sith Empire. Why?

Genocide? Check. Slavery? Check. Ruthless leaders that kill anyone who fails in even the slightest ways? Check.

Yes. The Republic has its skeletons. But what has the Republic done that is as bad or worse than Genocide.

i really do love this debate when i was in school we talked about good and evil

we grow up learning that democracy, freedom and human rights are good and oppression hatred prejudice is wrong so when where asked a question who are the good guys we automatically chose the republic because that's how we where raised

now look at it from someone who grew up as a imperial citizen, they are going to say that the republic is evil and the empire is good because that's how they where raised

right and wrong, good and evil are all just a point of view passed down from one generation to the next with each new generations views change what once was wrong is now accepted and what once was ok is now wrong

50 years ago it was ok to be prejudiced against people for colour sexuality faith and creed now its illegal to discriminate someone for these reasons

things can go the other way too it only takes fear to change the opinion of the masses and all the above can become accepted once again its happened before and will most likely happen again its human nature

P.S if i have come off as a crazy anti democracy freedom person i did not mean to im all for freedom

i really do love this debate when i was in school we talked about good and evil

we grow up learning that democracy, freedom and human rights are good and oppression hatred prejudice is wrong so when where asked a question who are the good guys we automatically chose the republic because that's how we where raised

now look at it from someone who grew up as a imperial citizen, they are going to say that the republic is evil and the empire is good because that's how they where raised

right and wrong, good and evil are all just a point of view passed down from one generation to the next with each new generations views change what once was wrong is now accepted and what once was ok is now wrong

50 years ago it was ok to be prejudiced against people for colour sexuality faith and creed now its illegal to discriminate someone for these reasons

things can go the other way too it only takes fear to change the opinion of the masses and all the above can become accepted once again its happened before and will most likely happen again its human nature

P.S if i have come off as a crazy anti democracy freedom person i did not mean to im all for freedom

The point of view argument is logical, but when you look at both sides( because we have that luxury) you can see who the bad guys are. And it is pretty obvious.

Talking about point of view.

Many conquered imperial citizens will say the Empire is bad. But those born into the Empire are indoctrinated into believing the Empire is good and the Jedi and the Republic are bad. Republic citizens, on the other hand, are allowed to think as they wish. If they don't like what they see, they have the right to say so. In the Empire, you don't. Any loyal Imperial Soldier or Sith will have you executed on the spot for saying that you don't like how the Sith run things.

In a way both the Republic and Empire are evil,especially if you look at it from a neutral perspective.The empire returns after a millennial long period after its crushing defeat by the republic,upon their return they begin the first great galactic war which devastated and changed the course of history and the Galaxy forever.

The republic fights hard to protect the galaxy from the empire.Though sometimes they go to extremes to exterminate the empire such as making secret weapons projects,organizing secret attacks,bombardment.The republic has it's secret weapons such as privateers,like in the smuggler storyline.Now does this make the republic better than the empire? no.I say this because throughout the game you come across republic people who are extremely biased against the empire,they will even kill civilians just because their imperials sometimes.

So mostly what I'm saying is that it depends on your viewpoint and your perspective.Both factions can be both good and bad:cool:

I read threads like this and just shake my head.

It's a method of discussing morality without the inherent emotional attachment people get when you use real life examples. It's a lot easier to discuss difficult concepts when using fictional and theoretical examples than it is to use actual. I personally find the comparisons between differing moral viewpoints to be quite interesting, particularly when both consider themselves to be universal truths.

the "point of view" argument is stupid. this is not a point of view situation. this is a story that we are experiencing. the writer is the architect, they decide what is good and what is bad. we don't get to decide that, this is not some historical event that has been written by the winner, this is a made up event, told by a story teller, this is not our work, this is thier work and their view of good, and bad, and who is who is the correct one. (one of my fav saying) "star wars is the ultimate battle between good and evil" and if you don't know who is good and who is evil we can take one of two things from this.

1) the writer has done a bad job and not made it clear to the reader who is bad and who is good

2) you are too stupid to realize who is bad and who is good. they model the empire on natzi's and you still can't see who is sposed to be the bad guys

playing a computer game and making the choices you make, is not the same as reading a book or watching a movie, and in the game you can do things that you want to do, and that includes things that would never happen in a real star wars story. so if your saying the empire isn't evil in my story, well thats fine thats your story, but that will never be star wars canon, and the ppl here your having this discussion with will never experience your story so we really can't talk about that.

but real star wars story's its not hard to see who the bad guys are, and when they release the real canon story's for SWTOR. its not going to be some obsure thing the empire will be bad and the republic will be good

Edited by grandmthethird

The uhh, the Empire isn't quite the stereotypical image of "good" with all of the Cathar Genoicide, Xenophobia, and killing within ranks. Plus they all have British accents, and everybody knows that contributes to a faction's Evil factor.