Can we spice up the teleporting with some scenes?

Macetheace

it's great we can teleport to most vital things.. like heroic areas, FPs, , daily zones without necessarily having to go the long way fly. But it's bad that we just seem to be jumping around with tons of loading screens. We stronghold zone, guild ship zone, fleet zone, heroic zone, warzone zone in, group finder zone in, all sorts of transport shuttles - and it just ends up feeling like you're playing a loading screen half the time, lose the sense actually moving through the galaxy, isn't immersion endearing

I know loading is part of the game. But can we make it an attractive and scenic event, enhancing immersion rather than obliterating it, by replacing that picture during load up with a travel scene. you know the ones that you see when leaving or entering a destination. Fly in/fly out scene?

You know , the one nearly all destinations have (some you only see on opening mission like certain ops), some you will def see if you flew there with your ship. Simply have a fly out and fly in scene for every destination in the game, so when you go from anywhere to anywhere, during the load up, this can play (with option to skip or option to turn off and have pictures instead)

But just two important psychological factors you need to be aware of bioware, that would potentially ruin what would be a great addition if you don't recognise it: and would end up annoying rather than enhancing the experience.

N.B Very Important MUST HAVES for Making this RIGHT !!!!!

1. The scenes should play during loading.. if they play before or after, it will feel like time wasting for the fidgety group of hardcore players who want to rush ahead... the opening class scenes all had scenes playing during loading. The guild ship teleport is a classic example of a good thing that can be come annoying because you have to sit through a scene, then wait for a load - and as such some people find it annoying.. but if it happened during the loading in screen instead, and you could turn off the scene for a picture instead - well, everyone would be happy, those who like the scene can have it, those who'd prefer picture have it, and no extra time being wasted.

However note if the guild fly in scene wasn't there at all, while it may feel a convenience, you lose something and it feels just a little bit more mechanical.

2. You must have the option to spacebar through the scenes, and you must have an option to turn of scenes all together and have the default picture. No matter how much some like scenes, some will always want to skip, allow skipping through scenes, even if loading hasn't finished. If you reach the end of the scene through spacebar skip, last scene is the picture. [players need to do something even in quiet moments, especially the more fidgety ones, having an option to spacebar, even though it doesn't change much, would help them, failure to do this creates the psychological impression that you're forced to watch - this is why the option to totally turn off scenes during load u should be there, and space bar, without it even though it has no detrimental effect people will feel it a nuisance.

Another advantage this option has, is that it can allow for the fly in and fly out scenes to be a little longer, so those who want to enjoy the look of their ship or the beautiful planet or have a longer respite can can continue watching though the scene has loaded

3. You must have the progress bar during the scene (can have an option to hide it, both in preferences and both on the bar itself during the scene. This is because people who don't know their destination is loaded, will feel they are compelled to watch. This is purely for those who don't like this. A scene or picture doesn't change their time investment at all, but having a scene for the hasty ones that has no indication of when you can exit (or option to skip) makes them feel compelled and they would hate it, and ***** about it. I believe in KotoR 2, this was exactly the problem. It wasn't that the scenes during loading were bad, bioware got that wrong, it's because people felt compelled to watch them every time, and sometimes some people wanted to skip and had no idea their load was finished. Especially the more hardcore fans. These are more active on forums, so when they don't like something they will kick up a fuss. And sometimes people do want to skip something if they can.

Without a progress bar, they may feel compelled to have tow ait through this, like it's an un-necessary thing that could save them time. But it can't, because the thing has to load, this is a psychological fix, that helps prevent issues. when people don't know they can skip or their scene is loaded, they get agitated.

Always remember the full scope of your playerbase BW. People who played this loads, every day, won't think twice of this, i the rush to just knock out dailies and CQ points and log off, that's why they must have skip options, turn off options. But in doing so, also don't that you always have new players and immersive players, to him this experience is vital - players who this is more than just a quick daily grind, and convenience is not everything. Hard cores don't often think of others, it's your job devs too, they want everything fast, but you must also have things for new players and immersion players, as such this feature must be around, but have options like skip, turn off and showing progress bar.

So here are the pros and cons

Pros:

1. Visual spectacle - this would be one of the most attractive things to new players - seasoned ones might not be bothered or even prefer to skip things, but it's far easier to make fancy sly-in scenes than upgrade all the graphics. it would be a major eye candy attraction, especially for new players, and immersion loving players who love the movie-feel style of this game - which is it's strong suit [play to your strengths]

You get a smoother transition experience, that feels like a movie instead of erratic jumping

2. you feel a lot more immersed and connected with this,, and you can turn it off in options, but with all the zoning around, a travel scene would be

3. You can get the most breathtaking and visually stunning vistas and clips in game a huge boos (especially if you improve some of those planet and ship models

[some of the shuttle ships : (I'm looking at you Athiss and you Lost island.)

4. It makes the wait of loading not feel liek a wait (with options to space bar through the scenes if you wanna speed up, or turn them off for a static picture instead altogether like we have currently).

5. Feels good.

Cons if you don't do this

These are the negative things, the lack of a scene has for me currently in the game.

1. Makes the end game experience feel mechanical like the beautiful parts of the adventure, the gorgeous travel scenes are no longer there, it's now just skipping from place to feel

2. Makes the game feel a lot more disjointed, not connected, inter like it lacks a catch to pull you back in and make you go wow, this is gorgeous

3. Remind you that you are playing star wars, and you do travel through space, you have as hip.. especially if you do grouped content a lot, take guild summons or ops

4. I keep feeling this could be so much better if we had travel scenes during load ups.

Far more pros than cons, pros out weigh cons

Work Involved:

not match, updated models for some transport crafts:

Updated scene : Looking at the Rishi battle with the Revan ships..looks awful, needs to be update

Planet model review: some planet models would need an update

What needs scenes:

Every destination that you can shuttle to or fly to via space:

• Every planet
  • Stronghold
  • Flashpoint planet/area
  • Operation planet area
  • Warzone
  • Uprising destination
  • Every time you zone to heroic area, it will show the loading screen of the planet.. with two exception
  • Black hole coreilla - needs its own
  • Section X
  • Space Combat destination (let the exit be in the load up, back ot the planet you were at)

Basically nearly all of these have anyway, so it's just a matter of

1. Updating those who look pretty rough

2. Adding the few that zone: some class story destinations, black hole and Section X etc

3. Ensure the right ship is used. If it's a guild summon the fly out must use your ship leaving to guild ship (fly out), fly in, guild ship (instead of your ship) to planet or maybe just use the class ship instead, teh class ship docks into the guild ship, the guild ship goes through hyper space, and the class ship leaves the guild ship to the planet.

The Travel Scene:

Each fly in and fly out could potential have 3 sections:

Fly Ins:

• Scene showing you drop out of hyper space on approach to planet ( space combat scnees only use this part),
  • Then flying into orbital station if there is one,
  • Flying into planet .. i) far planet approach like most planets, ii) have a near planet approach, like Voss and Ilum have, iii) an inside planet approach, ( one that has an aerial view of where yo land, and touch down of your ship or shuttle where applicable.

An example of this is the Makeb starting missions. The intro one has a lovely scene that plays as you approach the space station, but it only lays there, future visits to makeb, just have the loading screen only.

The first mission to the planet surface again shows an example of the sequence, now you are in a shuttle, it shows the shuttle leave space station, with a nice view of the planet ( needs updating btw) and then shows flying in to the planet and landing.

It's there, but you just don't have it load up.

Fly outs:

• Lifting up from planet on ship,
  • Flying away (aerial view) flying out near planet view, flying away far planet view.
  • If you're not heading to your ship but direct to new destination, it shows you going into hyper space, before playing the fly in sequence of the destination.

Every destination would have a tag for the scene sequence to play based on what mode of transport you use..

For example, above, you notice that if you use your ship transport, you will have no hyperspace scene, you'd have the fly out scene of the current location, but as destination is your ship, basically it will know not to do anything else.

so what loads up depends on what transport mode is used to get there.

Emergency fleet pass or group finder transport.

It's simpler than it seems, even what involves guild transports (guild transport just add a section of your ship or a shuttle going into the guild flag ship, then it's the guild flag ship hyperspace scene instead of your ship, and the scene you ship leaves the guild ship and starts the planet fly in..

each are about 2-5 secs long

Edited by Macetheace

People who played this loads, every day, won't think twice of this

As a "fidgety" player who "plays loads" trust me, there's been more than one thought about this.

Starting with, you left off a few more cons:

1. More bloat to the game's download for all those scenes.

2. More load time to load those scenes from the hard drive to play them, only then for "fidgety" players like myself to spacebar to cancel. Better would be an option not to load them / play them at all and save us "fidgety" people the trouble.

3. Most likely Bioware won't follow along with your engineering-heavy safeguard suggestions like progress bars, leaving people staring at a screen for no good reason rather than interacting with the game.

Overall, good job having perfected the art of tossing noise onto the forums, this is your second such post covering this very same topic. I have every confidence in you that your 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th posts on this same topic will be just as illustrated and revealing.

Congratulations.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Ya Kno???

... I LIKE The Teleportion Scenes, As They Are....

... Reminds Me Of StarTrek!!!!!!!

awww.. now i just wish that while we were loading from going from location A to Destination B - we would see a scen e of our ship or shuttle flying out, and flying in.. if you don't go to ship first, then haev a hyperspace scene.

But it must happen on the loading screen, not before, not after, -it helps with the wait, and it makes the game look good.

As a "fidgety" player who "plays loads" trust me, there's been more than one thought about this.

Starting with, you left off a few more cons:

1. More bloat to the game's download for all those scenes.

The vast majority of these scenes are already there, the thing is, your quick trasnport that bypasses the ship which or the mission scene, simply skips them, your files alreayd have this data, it's part of the game. now some of it needs to be updated, and properly organised to make a great experience, and only handful of places would need scenes done for them, but the vast majority are already there.

And how would it be more load times? these aren't new scenes, they are already there, if they're now playing during the laod up, rather than before or after, if anything it will save time.

Currently when a scene plays, the scene plays, then you switch to the picture loading screen, then you're there. Instead what happens here is that the scene plays while you are loading. This is what happens in the first missions at level one, the intro, the scene plays while the destination is loading. you see a progress bar too, and it flashes with a prompt to pace br when the scene has ended. But the bar indicates to you that the destination is finished, experience players know they can skip if they want. (i never do, I watch it through.)

2. More load time to load those scenes from the hard drive to play them, only then for "fidgety" players like myself to spacebar to cancel. Better would be an option not to load them / play them at all and save us "fidgety" people the trouble.

There will be an option for fidgety players to not have any scenes but since there is a load time.. regardless of whether a picture pops up or scene players, it doesn't stop that.

But yeh, you have to have an option to turn it off for those who feel it's more an inconvenience, what I'm trying to remind Bioware is that this would be a major plus for a lot of immersion gamers, an attraction to new players, and it's a good thing to have by default, but there is always a hardcore population, where convenience and efficiency is by far more important than silly things like conversation, talking scenes or flying scenes, where possible if a blander option is available, they can have that.

There were some people that space barred through the conversations of the game their entire play, and this from the very first time at release..It's not for them. that's fine, that's why there is a spacebar, for most people, at least for me, it is these conversations and fly in scenes that make SWTOR special. it's why I'm playing this and not world of warcraft.

3. Most likely Bioware won't follow along with your engineering-heavy safeguard suggestions like progress bars, leaving people staring at a screen for no good reason rather than interacting with the game

This means you don'twant it, htough ti has little to no impact on you.

Overall, good job having perfected the art of tossing noise onto the forums, this is your second such post covering this very same topic. I have every confidence in you that your 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th posts on this same topic will be just as illustrated and revealing.

Congratulations.

So whiles I dot hat, you on the other hand just like being negative about things that don't really impact or effect you, and love to show how something will fail.

The whole point about a forum is for people to express their views and ideas, if you don't like what they have to say, or you feel you've said it before, you don't have to respond, there are 100s of other topics around waiting for you. But if you are free to give negative opinions, I am also free to give and take my time to do things I feel would make the experience better for me,.

you may not thing it's worthwhile or necessary. And it may not make a difference to you.. I cover that, you won't be affected, you have options to turn it off and not bother, but for likes of me, it would be a significant improvement.

Like I mentioned, different players play this game, things that aren't important or necessary for you, might be game changers or all the difference for others.. good criticism is always welcome to hone ideas, but outright negativity, well, while it is your right, , I would remind you that others like myself prefer and have other priorities and things we like or would like.

Put it this way, I am inspired enough to right 5 or 6 topics about it, must tell you something, and I' know I'm not the only one who's found the good fly in scenes they do a spectacle and delight to have and to see as part of the gaming experience.. inspiring enough to write an essay about.. should tell a developer something. Furthermore a forum manager should note the topics where people show appreciation and admiration rather than just complain and note what attracts and inspires them. And while something likes may do nothing for a player like you.. well you're not affected, you can switch it off, you're on the one developing the game, it's not your time or money spent, you're not the one investing in writing this post, time I could be using to play, I felt was important enough to put aside to say this.. what's it to you?

Edited by Macetheace

So here are the pros and cons

Pros:

Cons if you don't do this

Far more pros than cons, pros out weigh cons

So ... this is sort of like, "Heads I win, tails you lose?"

Anyway, I just thought I'd point out that load times vary from player to player. You may sit looking at concept art for 10 seconds while another player may have practically loaded right in without even noticing a "loading screen."

I just want taxis or whatever mode of transport is used between areas on a world to have actual animations again for all the worlds that copped out with a cheap fade-out/fade-in instead. Can you imagine if the tube tram on Iokath had animations? It would rival the rocket tram on Corellia for awesomeness! Those animations really lent to the scale of the worlds we were on. Edited by Tofu_Shark

I prefer to use the speeders for Travel to be honest, its more real to star wars

Oh, I'm talking about moving between planets, so for example you are in section X, your queue pops for a flashpoint, you accept, instead of a loading screen static picture, you have a scene of you flying out of Section X(via the shuttle - b/c that's the means to go too and fro from it, then flying to the FP via the means it uses (which depends on the FP, some FPs you get there via dropship shuttle from fleet)

Basically as you are in section X, leaving it will always show the fly away section X scene regardless of where you are going.. whether it's interfleet transport or your stronghold, or an FP or back to your ship (for your ship, you won't enter hypespec scene). the destination determines what fly-in scene loads, and whether or not you see a hyperspace scene).

I chose Section X because it is one of the few places that doesn't have a scene, we get ot section X via shuttle from iether hte orbital station of the minimum security section shuttle, so a scene would have to be designed for it. The full fly in would be a shuttle (not your ship emerging from the orbital station, with Belsavis in the background. Flying towards the planet, then in the planet landing at section X.

The scene that plays if you take the shuttle form minimum security is simply flying through the atmosphere to land in section X (it won't pay leaving hte orbital station). you do this by simply allowing the interactive panel to trigger the right scene.

if you are travelilng to section X from the console in LFG, or in other places like Makeb.. it's nothing unique needs be, the fly out for whatever destination is what plays, and the fly in from orbital station shuttle is what plays. the shuttle from minimum security simply shows the last scene because you are leaving from on the planet and not space.

I just want taxis or whatever mode of transport is used between areas on a world to have actual animations again for all the worlds that copped out with a cheap fade-out/fade-in instead. Can you imagine if the tube tram on Iokath had animations? It would rival the rocket tram on Corellia for awesomeness! Those animations really lent to the scale of the worlds we were on.

This too, this yes.. definitely this.

Look, I get it, some people like the guy who responded earlier, prefer fade outs, but for me after awhile they kill the soul of the game, and it feels wooden/mechanical - It's Star Wars, I travel through space, we have these incredible scenes in game.

remember seeing your ship in a spaceport or taking off for the first time, and some stunning scenes they've done? These really raise the look of the game. Some of the graphics are well outdated, and may not be able to be updated. They can help somethings like some creature models/ races models and items like shuttles/ships etc

Some of those small things can make a different, but what can really look fancy are the scenes. And some could be updated. Like how they updated the ship fly in scenes for the old planets (look at Voss now, compared to 8 years ago).. now when you see that it makes you excited, it looks good, and you are curious to see other planets, you love the little slow mo or scene, and it raises the look of the game.

You want these ones too look good. there are some awful looking ones,.. like that Battle for Rishi/Revan - the scene with the ships above.. looks awful.. if they remodelled the ships and the lasers, it just raises the profile of the entire FP and scnee.

The fly in for Athiss and/or Lost Island, unlike Voss or Kuat Drive Yards, looks awful, new model for the ship, add some effects to Athiss, like wind, thruster burn animation as you see the shuttle landing.. or even design a view going in to the planet Athiss (we've never seen it from orbit). This is what makes sci-fi breathtaking.

Especially in games where it's not quite like a film or CGI animation series. you need things like this that make it look awesome in the in between times. And for those who don't like it, they can always opt to have their static picture and space bar through everything to module jump.

They may be use to it, because they've played this forever, but they should never forget those who have other preferences and ofc, new players coming in from other games, who you would want to keep playing this game, and you'd want to keep seeing stunning new things and vistas.

Trust me, the response would be much better, if you had breathtaking fly in scene on your starter mission, your trip to the fleet, and every planet you go, even when you try GF for the first time, wherever it sends you, at higher level? you still haven't seen all the worlds, so every time you get a loading it's like a wow this is o cool. This is how i felt when i saw the loadings, they improved the quality and look of the game, raising some of the dated feel some of the zones have. It may be irrelevant to a seasoned vet, but it makes a difference to some players, and it's biggest impact would be to new ones.

old games that keep giving new content have to find ways to look impressive and up to date especially when they can't rebuild the whole game. Actually cool fly in scenes are a great way to do it.

So ... this is sort of like, "Heads I win, tails you lose?"

Anyway, I just thought I'd point out that load times vary from player to player. You may sit looking at concept art for 10 seconds while another player may have practically loaded right in without even noticing a "loading screen."

That's right they vary enormously based on your machine, it's still a lot more entertaining for me to see a travel scene during the load time, even if it's short.. having a progress bar that indicates when the destination is loaded and being able to space bar to speed up the viewing (or turn the scene off to have picture instead) removes any inconvenience or irritation having a scene might cause, allowing it to just be enjoyed and look/feel good when you see it.

Helps save time too, there are some places like fleet/ guild ship gravel ,certain flashpoints that have mandatory scenes, while I like those, and prefer to enjoy/watch them every time I know some players would rather have them off, because they have to watch or space bar through then wait for loading. (personally i think for them first time was enough, and when they do these things over and over again, the novelty wears off, the problem is when these travel scenes only show in the first /opening mission and no more, - an important part of the journey is left out, and in time that disconnected feeling pops. now some people don't experience this or don't care, but I remember going through the adventure again on a new toon, and then just really enjoying some of the opening scenes from operations like Karagga's palace, Ev, , EC, TfB, that actually have scenes flying in that you never see after or outside the mission - there's gotta be a way to turn these on, or off, and actually they really and look really good seeing again.

The obvious option is to be able to have them show or not, but truth is, if they play during loading time rather than before/after, you are saving time, you get something nice to see that boosts immersion, while having no choice but to wait .. when it happens before loading, for some who see it over and over again 9even for me sometimes ) it can become a little annoying. You fix this by having it during load, have it obvious this is playing during load, and have an option to show a picture instead for people who don't like. they'd obviously complain about the wait, but hey.

if the scenes played during loading instead, that will save them sometime.

And obviously the "if you don't this" is just away of expressing the cons of not having travel scenes, it could have been worded better.

That's right they vary enormously based on your machine, it's still a lot more entertaining for me to see a travel scene during the load time, even if it's short.. having a progress bar that indicates when the destination is loaded and being able to space bar to speed up the viewing (or turn the scene off to have picture instead) removes any inconvenience or irritation having a scene might cause, allowing it to just be enjoyed and look/feel good when you see it.

Epically stupid question: what would it display while it was loading the assets for the loading-screen cutscenes?

Alternative version: I'm not sure that it's a good idea to have loading screens while waiting for a loading screen's animations to load, but if the loading screen has an animation, there would be a loading screen for the loading screen.

Epically stupid question: what would it display while it was loading the assets for the loading-screen cutscenes?

Alternative version: I'm not sure that it's a good idea to have loading screens while waiting for a loading screen's animations to load, but if the loading screen has an animation, there would be a loading screen for the loading screen.

this is not loading screen for loading screen thing. WE already have this functionality possible in the game. Turn your attention to the opening mission, a scene plays while the destination is loading. Also think about how scenes play.. if they play before a destination loads, surely it is clear they didn't need the load time, it's the destination planet that needed it.

Furthermore, you don't see conversations requiring load times either when you have them. none of the game scene convos, of which Fly-ins and Fly outs are, need load ins, this is one of the reasons why people oppose this move sometimes, they don't quite understand how it works. They think they're getting extra loading times or loads within loads, and they're furthermore the speed of most systems, any extra load time you may have had even on a full cinematic is negligible.

Think..when you were on the character screen, and clicked the cinematic button, did it require a load time? No. Load times are there to stabilise the destination, so you don't see gabbled rubbish, in addition to accessing the destination.

Think of it this way, does your computer need a loading screen to access or show a video you double click on? no. Basically the scene can be near instantly accessed, and can do so while the zone you are travelling to is loading.

One of the other reasons why these scenes are important to show (even with an option to hide them or swap for the picture) is the sense of positioning.

What's to tell you're on a different ship or even planet, instead of just a different room or section if you just loading A to B with standard pics?

This may be terrible obvious to you a seasoned player, but take for instance a new player, or maybe in the heat of the battle or in a group where they're moving form place to place, you can get no sense of where you are without scenes that show the travel.

This is why the connect is important.. what if you're a bit dazed or drunk while playing or you have some learning or mental disability and things are a little bit harder.. the game thrusts you into the high end action especially when you pair with vets, join guilds and you're just zoning around areas they're well familiar with but you don't have a clue, it can seriously feel confusing, disconnected and just potentially removes or devalues one of the most powerful assets of the game - it's immersion - for which these conversation scenes and fly in/fly out travel ones play a key role.

One of the other reasons why these scenes are important

You labeling it important doesn't make it so.

1) You're apparently the first person demanding it since the game's inception*

2) The devs obviously haven't thought it important since the game's inception

3) You've heard plenty of voices contrary to your oh-so-important point

* (which inspired others to create tag-along posts)

You posted a want, not an important need.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I hate the fade in/fade out on the newer planets. I much prefer to see the travel. It's so lame how it's done now.

If this comes to pass, and slow travel forces me to needlessly burn through xp tokens because the devs completely screwed up the opt-out option in implementing it, I won't be a happy camper.

this is not loading screen for loading screen thing. WE already have this functionality possible in the game. Turn your attention to the opening mission, a scene plays while the destination is loading.

And before that cut-scene can begin playing, it has to be loaded. For sure it doesn't have to load as much stuff as the planet(1), but it still has to load whatever's drawn in the cut-scene. The more "between things" scenes there are, the more time is spent loading those scenes.

Also think about how scenes play.. if they play before a destination loads, surely it is clear they didn't need the load time, it's the destination planet that needed it.

Sort of, but how does the game have the assets that are required to play the scene if it doesn't load them?

Furthermore, you don't see conversations requiring load times either when you have them.

There's sometimes a visible delay, especially where the conversation is accompanied by a location change as it launches. Or like all those cut-scenes in KotFE/ET where you get to see what Arcann and co are talking about while you're not there either before or after. Unless it loads them along with whatever you're doing otherwise.

none of the game scene convos, of which Fly-ins and Fly outs are, need load ins,

If they are in new locations where the player is not just before, and where the player will not be just after, yes, they very much *do* need load times. It might be possible to background-load them just for players with the relevant mission open, but I'm not convinced they do that.

this is one of the reasons why people oppose this move sometimes, they don't quite understand how it works. They think they're getting extra loading times or loads within loads, and they're furthermore the speed of most systems, any extra load time you may have had even on a full cinematic is negligible.

The speed of 2019-2021 systems, sure, with fast SSDs and so on, but remember there are still people playing this game on machines from 2011 that still have 90MB/sec "spînning rust" hard disks. *Those* people will notice the extra load time more than I will. (Unless I'm playing on my old from-2011 machine that I used for four and a half years to play SWTOR, that is, which I still do from time to time, for purposes of helping my other account, or of using my other account to give characters on my main account some Social points.)

Think..when you were on the character screen, and clicked the cinematic button, did it require a load time? No. Load times are there to stabilise the destination, so you don't see gabbled rubbish, in addition to accessing the destination.

The actual cinematic button on the character screen (the one that plays the trailers, "Hope" etc.) plays pre-rendered stuff, so is of no importance in this discussion, but when you create a new character, yes, there's a loading time for the scenery and so on that appears in the intro cut-scene. That stuff loads during the crawl, probably, but if you Esc out of the crawl and press Space really fast when prompted *on*a*slower*machine*, you'll see a small delay while it loads the assets for the cut-scene. (Probably a mix of the cut-scene assets and the real-planet assets, but that's not relevant for e.g. fly-in scenes as you arrive on planets, since you never hang around in outer space while you are on the planet/in the orbital station, and the version of the planet you see from the docking bay looks nothing like the one in the fly-in.)

Think of it this way, does your computer need a loading screen to access or show a video you double click on? no. Basically the scene can be near instantly accessed, and can do so while the zone you are travelling to is loading.

Not a loading *screen*, but it will spend a short time loading the first fraction of a second of the video(2), but that's a very short time. The rest loads as the video plays. That cut-scene rendered by the game engine probably has to load all the assets for the whole cut-scene of e.g. the Inquisitor flying in to Korriban and strolling over to see Harkun before it can play *any* of it.

(1) Even there, they don't load *everything* about the planet as you arrive. They have to do a trade-off between how large an area they pre-load around you (and how much memory that takes up) versus how often they have to load new pieces and whether they can do it fast enough to keep up as you move. One of the ingredients in that trade-off is the maximum travel speed they want to allow (with the caveat that taxis follow a fixed path and therefore have reduced requirements of what they must pre-load and can go faster).

(2) If the video in question is on a DVD or Blu-Ray disk, of course, it takes a *lot* longer to get going than an MP4 on your hard disk / SSD, but it still only loads a small initial amount.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

I really have no problem when people ask for things on this forum. I really don't.

It's when what they ask for impacts other players -- to whatever degree -- who have no desire to see such changes.

With this particular thread, If the devs suddenly get a mind to follow this OPs suggestion, and implement something such that we're now all taking the scenic tour everywhere we go for every reason, life's gonna suck.

How much hedging, how much noise, must we deploy to counter such suggestions, to ensure they're opt-in only? No idea. I don't trust there's enough noise to be made to ensure it. Us typing text out into a forum is no guarantor that devs typing out code in their program will result in exactly the way we want it to be.

Edited by xordevoreaux

You labeling it important doesn't make it so.

It is to me, so it is.

1) You're apparently the first person demanding it since the game's inception*

I'm sure i'm not the only one who likes to see travelling and would prefer to see a scene instead of a picture.

Nor am I the only one who feels a scene could make the gaming experience look better and feel less disconnected.

Also you'd have to have read every topic since 2011/2 to qualify that statement. Have you?

2) The devs obviously haven't thought it important since the game's inception

Just because it isn't important to you, don't assume everyone feels the same way. If you don't care for it, and it doesn't impact you, what's it to you?

3) You've heard plenty of voices contrary to your oh-so-important point

You don't know how many voices i've heard, who i converse wit and speak to, do not presume for me or dictate what I have experienced, you don't know me, you don't walk where I walk.

You posted a want, not an important need.

Yes, and? The whole game is a want , not a need. That's the point of expressing your views here.

I really have no problem when people ask for things on this forum. I really don't.

It's when what they ask for impacts other players -- to whatever degree -- who have no desire to see such changes.

With this particular thread, If the devs suddenly get a mind to follow this OPs suggestion, and implement something such that we're now all taking the scenic tour everywhere we go for every reason, life's gonna suck.

How much hedging, how much noise, must we deploy to counter such suggestions, to ensure they're opt-in only? No idea. I don't trust there's enough noise to be made to ensure it. Us typing text out into a forum is no guarantor that devs typing out code in their program will result in exactly the way we want it to be.

How is your life going to suck when you can continue on with things EXACTLY as they are, by simply not having the option to show a scene during loading unticked.. or the option to skip if you occasionally wanted to? Did you read what I said? Or just looked at the heading and skipped to write a negative I don't like response?

It looks like you have a problem with me requesting this and I don't get it.

Edited by Macetheace