Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why you shouldn't like Game Update 6.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why you shouldn't like Game Update 6.0

Jdast
08.16.2019 , 07:40 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by jxjxjx View Post
The optimal set will still take some time to get.
A) Who cares if the content is good?

B) How do you know this?

Dasty

jxjxjx
08.16.2019 , 07:42 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
I didn't notice anything on the tactical racks that was better than current set bonuses for my sent/mara but I didn't look too closely. It struck me as something I was going to mostly ignore for pvp.

I'm looking.forward to 6.0 to find out what happened to Kira and Scourge and maybe look at the new worlds. After that I think I'll be focusing on other games/priorities.

It's interesting how SWTOR devs have completely forgotten what's supposed to be fun about opening up new levels for players in rpgs. For them it's clearly just a chance to reset gear, reset accomplishments and throw out cxp levels. I doubt they even realize why or how many of their most dedicated players aren't celebrating.
Exactly. It's a chance to reset gear, reset accomplishments and throw out the old system. They probably figure "Hey, I bet if we got rid of galactic command system people would be so happy we could get away with releasing a whole new grind fest without people getting too ticked off about it. And it'll keep people subbed."

jxjxjx
08.16.2019 , 07:44 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post

B) How do you know this?

Dasty
You can already see some of the new sets on the PTS. Not all of the new sets will be useful.

JX to the third,

There is a fundamental flaw in your premise. I don't suffer from what I call "BiSitis" -- or BestinSlot-itis - an affliction where I feel I must have the best gear.

As long as I can do SM and Vet FPs, I'll be just fine. If I get tactical / amplifier gear that makes the aforementioned content that much easier, that is just some chocolate sprinkles on top of my coffee with Bailey's I'm about to have this fine morning out in the Western USA.

Sorry, you didn't kill my impending buzz.

Put differently, what will make Onslaught a success or a failure is whether it has interesting content. Will the gearing system probably need tweaks? Sure, but you assume, incorrectly in my case, that I need BiS to enjoy the game. I don't.

Now where are my chocolate sprinkles?

Dasty
Not me, I am a competitive player. I practice and practice until I perfect my class and rotation. A lot of my fun comes from doing NiM operations and comparing my parse with other player's parses. I work extremely hard to stay at the top of the leaderboards and I am not happy about having to grind my way to the top again. But oh well, what can I do about this update besides express my disapproval?

casirabit
08.16.2019 , 08:42 AM | #14
OP,

Thank you for you post and the time you took to write the post but I have never based my like or dislikes on what someone likes or dislikes. I make my own decision. I am not from the "new" era that I listen to what everyone else says and agrees with them or disagrees with them. I based my choices on what I like or don't like so thank you but I will wait and make my own decision.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

ZionHalcyon
08.16.2019 , 08:44 AM | #15
Not to be a buzzkill, but update 6.0 is going to be the biggest grind fest ever introduced in SWTOR. They are throwing away the simple system and replacing it with a hugely more complicated one. It is a terrible idea for many reasons. First of all, right now the gearing system is easy. In fact, if you want to be ridiculously overpowered all you have to do is learn your class rotation and purchase a full set of 258 gear on the GTN for credits. Don't have the credits? Well, people spend hundreds of dollars on the cartel market stuff all the time. Why not just buy some hypercrates on the cartel market and resell them on the GTN for credits? Bam just like that and you can get the best gear in the game. Will gearing be that easy after 6.0? Of course not. Also, there is only 1 freakin' useful set on the live servers. No amplifiers, no tactical items, none of that crap. All you have to do is reach a certain alacrity, crit and accuracy threshold. GEARING HAS NEVER been difficult in SWTOR. Even when you had to open a million command crates it was simple. So what makes me think that? Well, think about it. A brand new player to the game doesn't have to do challenging content like NiM operations or ranked PvP in order to get good gear. All you ever had to do was spam veteran mode fps for crates and open them for the best in slot gear. Anyone is capable of it. Ossus was easy too.. Seriously? You can't be bothered to do a couple of master mode fps and world bosses for crystals then buy the one set you need with them? I was able to get a full set of 248 gear in less than a week just by doing Hammer Station. 6.0 is going to be a grind fest. Why? Because it's going to be much worse than that. There are going to be over a hundred tactical items which do different things... Each piece of gear will have 3-4 amplifiers which you will likely have to spend millions of credits on rerolling stats in order to have an optimal set for DPS/Healer/Tank (for whichever role you are playing). Bioware already stated that challenging content will be more rewarding than easy content. THIS IS BAD NEWS.

So for 95% of the community that only does SM and Veteran flashpoints:
If you are currently in 258 gear, you will likely NEVER be as powerful as you are now or it will take a very long time. You will likely have to grind HM/NiM operations in order to get the best in slot gear. I can only assume this is true based on bioware's statement "challenging content will be more rewarding" since bioware won't be more specific we can only assume this means you will be forced to do hard content to get the best gear in the game. Don't get me wrong, all content will drop gear. I'm talking about the best gear in the game (gear as powerful as 258). Again, before anyone could just spam veteran fps for best in slot gear. We didn't have to do challenging content for better rewards as this would just make the grind take even longer. There are many players who avoid doing challenging content because they aren't capable of it or they just can't find a group. These players will have a harder time obtaining overpowered gear.

Oh by the way.. I'm sure it's going to fun for all you Marauder / Sentinels out there (and of course other classes as well) spamming NiM operations over and over and over again only to get ridiclous set gear. For example,
(2 pieces) "The cooldown of mad dash is reduced by 2 seconds."
(4 pieces) Mad dash does 2% more damage.

Yeah, so many people complained about the current gearing system and they honestly think that the new system is going to be better? I can't even believe that bioware implemented a set like that on the PTS. That set is absolutely USELESS for any content. I'm sure people will enjoy spamming HM/NiM ops and getting ridiculous drops with set bonuses like that. Just remember, getting an optimal set of gear won't be so simple like Ossus and Galactic Command was. All you had to do was simple missions on Ossus for Masterwork Data Crystals and then you could buy exactly what you need. Now you will have to deal with tons and tons of RNG and countless useless tactical items, mods, enhancements, set bonuses, etc. Tons of useless items will likely drop from challenging content only (assuming you want gear that has equal power to 258). Still think the new system is better than Galactic Command?

I mean come on people.. There are so many players who aren't even geared correctly with the simple system. I still see people with 1600 alacrity or 400 alacrity. People aren't even hitting the accuracy or alacrity threshold. Some people don't have augments. Imagine how bad things will be after 6.0 when the gearing system is 100 times more complicated than it ever was before with amplifiers, different mods, set bonuses, tactical items, etc.

It is going to suck having to find a HM / NiM team just to grind best in slot gear. It's going to suck even more having to deal with all the useless gear bioware has added to the game. Again, mad dash cooldown reduced by 2%. Yeah, it's not going to be fun getting drops like that. Just remember how great the old system was and think about how all you complained about it for years after 6.0 is released in September.

Not to be a buzzkill to your epic rant but 6.0 isn't even out yet and you have barely any concept of what's going into it. Not to mention people get to decide for themselves what they like and what they don't like. You are not the moral authority to decide that for them so why don't you just stuff it?

KendraP
08.16.2019 , 09:02 AM | #16

B) How do you know this?

Dasty
I agree with point A. On point B, for me I just kind of assumed that since they're adding a crap ton of options, gear is going to be a prolonged grindfest.

But, as you said, who cares as long as the content us enjoyable.

Jdast
08.16.2019 , 09:02 AM | #17
You can already see some of the new sets on the PTS. Not all of the new sets will be useful.

Not me, I am a competitive player. I practice and practice until I perfect my class and rotation. A lot of my fun comes from doing NiM operations and comparing my parse with other player's parses. I work extremely hard to stay at the top of the leaderboards and I am not happy about having to grind my way to the top again. But oh well, what can I do about this update besides express my disapproval?
Fair enough, but your original post seems to be all over the place -- like throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. I too think that some of the sets are kind of meh; ditto with tacticals. But...

That is a separate analytical category and distinct issue, however, from the pace at which one acquires gear. Unless you have inherited the powers of Psychic Cleo (may she RIP) or have inside knowledge, you have absolutely zero clue about:

a) where the BiS gear will drop (i.e., what content do they consider challenging besides, obviously, NiM Ops); or b) the drop rate (i.e., could you still have a chance to get the good gear in Vet FPs, just at a lower chance).

The reason is pretty straightforward: Onslaught isn't out yet.

We get that you don't like the gear grind. Just understand that for some of us, it is irrelevant because we care about the journey, not the gear. And, given that you have no idea how long the grind will be for you, your post falls under the category for me of "pointless speculation."

Hopefully, we'll know in about six weeks.

Dasty

TrixxieTriss
08.16.2019 , 09:10 AM | #18
@jxjxjx

There’s always WoW classic starting in a few weeks if swtor becomes to much of a grind

commanderwar
08.16.2019 , 09:13 AM | #19
I will be the judge if I like a game update or not, not you random person who thinks that just because he doesn't like the update meaning everyone should hate it.

Bioware already stated that challenging content will be more rewarding than easy content. THIS IS BAD NEWS.
Lol, how?!? This is how MMO and games are suppose to work the harder the content the greater the reward.

Anyways the current gearing system is boring, the new gearing system offers a lot more customization and fun to it. can't commit on the gearing acquisition yet because they have not put it on the PTS yet. Sure some Set bonus are useless but they already change some of them, so if they change the rest of the useless one that they know no one would use, such as Mad dash one on the PTS, then there's no problem.
here's my refer a friend link
http://www.swtor.com/r/QWYrwx

Transcendent
08.16.2019 , 09:18 AM | #20
I'm just here for the story and new content, I gave up with gearing with multiple alts and the RNGfest called Galactic Command. If the new system iterates on GC or replaces it for something else, it'll be the same as every other "major" update where the gearing system gets tweaked in some manner.

Worrying about it means I've lost sight of why I started playing this game years ago, to have fun.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.