Need help with names that fit

PsykoKiwi

Now, firstly, I'm awful with naming things. It's never been a strong suit. :/

Can anyone suggest some obi-wan/qui-gon style names that fit the lore? I'm interested in the hyphanted style but, frankly, I lack the brain for thos kind of thing.

Thanks so much :)

I let my brain open its creative floodgates, so here are a few names I came up with on the spot. I'll divide the spoiler tags into male and female. You (or others) are absolutely free to use any name I post below:

Female Names

Sei-Nala

Rui-Laesa

Ter-Seila

Jil-Nadi

Mel-Suis

Far-Ganu

Sedi-Amala

Cor-Sinta

Gena-Daru

Lei-Rama

Veli-Garu

Moina-Syn

Pel-Adana

Ris-Seya

Soida-Ti

Krana-Fol

Jeira-Nis

Sebi-Lan

Berla-Tin

Kai-Bala

Ona-Felu

Tae-Sinu

Male Names

Xus-Rikadi

Dar-Corin

Pol-Sindu

Ra-Teru

Vol-Soda

Karn-Or

Doya-Su

Rodu-Ban

Kaer-Nol

Dar-Obyn

Cor-Sintu

Valu-Ro

Sewin-Odo

Kir-Antan

Moi-Ralo

Ri-Sola

Aral-Toru

Jan-Kora

Val-Rodu

Gar-Son

Car-Lodar

Hal-Sinda

As I said, these are a few right from the top of my head, so if something is not to your liking, feel free to change it!

Edited by Ylliarus

Is there any lore behind those names anyway? Lots of Jedi have names constructed that way, but the Jedi are an order and not a culture, so are those names ones that the characters have since birth or do some Jedi take new names in the order?

To be honest, we don't have much lore about names in the Star Wars universe. We know there are some rules about Chiss names, "a long tripartite structure with three distinct sections... the first and last being family names and the middle being [a] given name." Beyond that in most cases we just have generalities. This species tends to have guttural sounding names, that species tends to have rhyming names, this species sometimes uses hyphens while that species sometimes uses apostrophes and that one over there sometimes uses both, but all three might not use them at all. If you look at the different species on Wookieepedia you'll see that names are all over the place. These are the pages for the various playable species in SWTOR: Chiss [1], Human, Miraluka [1], Mirialan [1], Rattataki [1], Sith, Twi'lek, Zabrak [1]. Certainly a Sith wouldn't be named Robert, or a Nautolan named Steve, but those names aren't too common for Humans, either. In general there are very few Earth sounding Human names in use. Going through the list of Humans in Star Wars you'll see that names like Luke and Owen were exceptions rather than common names. There's even a character named Yolo Ziff. From this we can surmise that, in most cases, we shouldn't place too much concern on the "lore" of a name because, except in rare cases, even in universe names don't seem to strictly adhere to conventions.

From this we can surmise that, in most cases, we shouldn't place too much concern on the "lore" of a name because, except in rare cases, even in universe names don't seem to strictly adhere to conventions.

That's a bit of a pity though, it can sometimes say a lot about a culture or order how they name things/people or on what principles or rules.

There is a break down of qui-gon jinn and obi-wans names but there dont seem to be alot of easy to follow rules, as mentioned.

Thank you so much for the list! Cor-Sintu has a great flow to it :D

Feel free to use it! I hope it will be available :) and yeah, I just applied the rule "what has a good ring to it" because I believe that was also how George Lucas created the names Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Certainly a Sith wouldn't be named Robert, or a Nautolan named Steve,

I should hope not. *I* am Steve! ;)

but those names aren't too common for Humans, either. In general there are very few Earth sounding Human names in use. Going through the list of Humans in Star Wars you'll see that names like Luke and Owen were exceptions rather than common names. There's even a character named Yolo Ziff.

"Yolo" could easily be an anglicised spelling of the pronunciation of the Welsh given name "Iolo", just as "Neeve" or "Neve" are anglicised spellings of the pronunciation of the Irish name "Niamh". Don't forget also that "Obi-wan" and "Qui-gon" both sound somewhat *like* Earthly Far Eastern names, while "Han" is a Dutch personal name.

From this we can surmise that, in most cases, we shouldn't place too much concern on the "lore" of a name because, except in rare cases, even in universe names don't seem to strictly adhere to conventions.

However, this is something I'd agree with. Guild Wars 2 seems to do better at this sort of thing, in part because the lore is written by one tight group of people, and in part because they don't have all those hundreds of species and worlds to deal with. There are the five playable species (Charr have Latinate names with a militaristic thrust, Sylvari names are mostly Irish / Welsh fusion, Asura use short, often monosyllabic names, and human names in Kryta are mostly European in nature), and a loose bundle of minor species who each have reasonably self-consistent names.

Compare that with Star Wars, with hundreds of authors, occasionally loose supervision of conventions, widely separated time-periods, and hundreds of major or minor species. That's a grand old recipe for inconsistency.

Certainly a Sith wouldn't be named Robert

EXCUSE ME, I disagree, emphatically. Robert is a perfect name for a Sith. Do you mean to say that the sound of Darth Robert doesn't inspire awe and fear within you? That it doesn't make your very core quake with dread?

On a serious note, it's why I have Star Warsified such names. For example, Robert becomes Reuberd and suddenly, it fits perfectly for a Miraluka or Human Jedi Master :)

Edited by Ylliarus

EXCUSE ME, I disagree, emphatically. Robert is a perfect name for a Sith. Do you mean to say that the sound of Darth Robert doesn't inspire awe and fear within you? That it doesn't make your very core quake with dread?

On a serious note, it's why I have Star Warsified such names. For example, Robert becomes Reuberd and suddenly, it fits perfectly for a Miraluka or Human Jedi Master :)

I should have said Richard. :p

What I've done a few times is search for "popular baby names in (country)" and then taken a name, or two, and Star Warsified them. I've searched on almost every continent doing this, but unfortunately Antarctica didn't find any baby penguin names to use for my Nautolan.