LVL 50 tanks for HM/NM

Just wondering wich tank guilds look after the most for endgame tanking (i do not care one bit about tanking ability from lvl 1-49) My main is a PT and ill probably hit 50 by tomorrow.. but scrounging around on the forums im getting confused.. some say that the only vallid tank is Juggs.. some say Juggs suck at keeping aggro some say juggs are best at single target aggro and others claim something else.. Assassins seem to be laughed at as tanks? and it is generally dead quiet about PTs.. since its not that popular a class... so im asking experienced players wich kind of tank class guilds prefer to recruit putting player skill/gear and all such asaide (i know that a skilled player can make any character work). Edited by Moonlightthorn

Our guild has tried to get 1 of each tank. Our current main tank is a Powertech, but we have used Juggernauts as well. Haven't tried out an Assassin tank yet, but I doubt there is such a big 'imbalance' that you wouldn't be able to tank everything. We have downed EV on Nightmare and KP on Hard mode with our MT powertech and OT jugg.

I have a 50 juggernaut and here are a few of my perceptions from tanking in hard modes:

1. I can hold any single target indefinitely. When it switches, I taunt, if it tosses me, I leap, if it switches targets again, I aoe taunt. If it switches targets after that taunt should be off cd.

Admittedly there is some delay on the taunt. I will see the boss switch targets, click taunt (yep it's not even hotkeyed!!! troll troll flame flame, where I have it works for me) and it takes a couple seconds to register. Hope BW fixes that.

2. I can hold multiple targets IF: dps burns normals before they touch silvers/golds. Target order needs to be weakest to strongest. I have plenty of options: taunt 1, aoe taunt all, dps on one and cc another w/ something like force choke and other stuns. If the encounter is something like 3 golds there's not usually an issue, but 1 more and a different tank or an off tank is needed.

3. I'm still learning EV but I have a hard time with the turrets at the beginning. I only have so many ranged abilities + taunts so it's hard for me to hold aggro.

That really covers it. Juggernaut can do pretty much any tanking needed if the group knows its weaknesses. And I'm sure the other tank classes can do the same if they will share their experiences.

Jugg tanks do suck a bit in threat.

I have a 50 Jugg tank with some average 126 / 136 level gear.

After a normal pull i have no problem holding agro until i run out of rage.

Mainly because the boss barely hits me with dmg.

I got a raid spec as can be found on most websites tough.

Area tanking is just crap, jumping in and smahing / sweeping and repeating will keep the mobs on me as long ther isent to much aoe from other players.

But ill lose agro on the main target fast.

Building up threat is no problem, but as soon as i use my throw and choke to genereate some extra threat ill lose agro fast when the rage runs out.

Im just getting used to being over agro'd by almost any Marrauder.

I heard powertech are atm the best tanking class.

Also heard a jugg buff should be in a future patch.

Can only hope jugg gets a little boost.

Edited by Bobiefatt

Admittedly there is some delay on the taunt. I will see the boss switch targets, click taunt (yep it's not even hotkeyed!!! troll troll flame flame, where I have it works for me) and it takes a couple seconds to register. Hope BW fixes that.

thats a problem with most "instant" skills.. animation takes 1-1,5 seconds and the "hit" doesent go off untill the end of animation... whats even more annoying is that if the target gets out of LOS or CC you before the animation is done the skill wont hit att all... major malfunction in skilldesign if you ask me...

I honestly wish they would give some of these dps classes a Misdirect type ability just to give tanks some help. As it stands right now you can already tell that DPS's threat is scaling a lot better than tank threat is atm, and once better gear starts getting released its going to become a problem.

We use an assassin tank for all of our raids.

No issues as of yet. Cleared 10/10 8 man and 16 man hard modes with him tanking, and 5/5 nightmare EV 8 man with him tanking.

His threat is solid, rarely ever loses is, his health doesn't spike, he does great,.