Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Thaladan
07.15.2015 , 08:22 AM | #31
the 6 pieces bonus is good, one of the few things good for snipers in PvP environement.

BUT the problem is that this extra autocrit bonus using laze target/smuggler's luck has not the same power for the 3 specs..

1- stronger for MM

2- important for engineering (damn boost this spec for god sake !) but less strong than with MM

3- just decent with virulence. crit the base weapon damage of cull..hum ok better than nothing.

--> maybe give the crit bonus to lethal shot/dirty blast (the weapon AND the internal damage) for virulence/dirty fighting., this will be better for the cycle in my opinion.

--------------

but in general i would prefer you change this 2-4-6 set bonus. i don't find it very nice and interesting enough. i'm sure you can propose better, more choices, more bonus set, to give more diversity and strategy.

PS : i know it's not the point of this topic but please fix sabotage/engineering !! ( i speak for PvP) all fan of snipers/gunslingers are agree with this statement. we share the same fate as marauders with anihilation/watchman...you broke the specs, admit it and fix it.

legend of hyperspace

Camelpockets
07.15.2015 , 10:25 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaladan;8316187
--> [COLOR="PaleGreen"
maybe give the crit bonus to lethal shot/dirty blast (the weapon AND the internal damage) for virulence/dirty fighting., this will be better for the cycle in my opinion.
[/COLOR]
That would cause a significant DPS loss. Like I stated before, the damage dealt from cull is boosted to about 12k damage dealt by purely the white damage. Changing it to Dirty Blast would bring that total down to about 8k per Smuggler's Luck charge.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Camelpockets
07.15.2015 , 10:35 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
First of all, if Bioware does give Virulence a cost reduction on Takedown, then something needs to be nerfed as well. Virulence is strong enough as it is. A cost reduction on Takedown without some nerf will make the dicipline OP.
And honestly (no offence Bioware) I prefer if this dicipline does not get touched, at all. It is performing fine and I am afraid that any rebalance attempt by adding in the cost reduction for Takedown will lead to either a nerf, or being OP which will be followed by probably a big nerf.
The problem I see with this change is actually more of a PvP thing than a PvE. It should be relatively easy to balance out the energy reduction with reduced damage over a continuous fight. However, in PvP, an energy reduction would be a significant nerf in PvP because of two reasons:

1. Since this would most likely be tied to a damage nerf, this spec's burst would be brought down tremendously, and with proper use of free fillers, you shouldn't burn out of energy in PvP in a 1v1.

2. Since DoT Spread is much easier in PvP. especially in stalemated matches, the energy reduction will be totally useless since the player will be swimming in energy with all the DoT crits.

However, I do not know what Bioware has in mind for 4.0 regarding class changes. If they change the spec so that this is needed, then they should put it in. But if the classes will stay relatively the same, then the change will be unnecessary.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist

Whojoo
07.15.2015 , 02:35 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Camelpockets View Post
The problem I see with this change is actually more of a PvP thing than a PvE. It should be relatively easy to balance out the energy reduction with reduced damage over a continuous fight. However, in PvP, an energy reduction would be a significant nerf in PvP because of two reasons:

1. Since this would most likely be tied to a damage nerf, this spec's burst would be brought down tremendously, and with proper use of free fillers, you shouldn't burn out of energy in PvP in a 1v1.

2. Since DoT Spread is much easier in PvP. especially in stalemated matches, the energy reduction will be totally useless since the player will be swimming in energy with all the DoT crits.

However, I do not know what Bioware has in mind for 4.0 regarding class changes. If they change the spec so that this is needed, then they should put it in. But if the classes will stay relatively the same, then the change will be unnecessary.
A thing Tacmossie once came up with (I think it was him) was a proc for Takedown to be free every 18 seconds. I would drop it to 15 seconds so it can reliably proc on every Cull but same thing.
For my parses that ends up in an energy loss (some quite sever, some less) and in the end the rotation will be dull and very static.
But in change all crit can be put into power. Chances are that it results in about the same damage. Though it can be a sever dps loss as well.

But it would result in a boring easy rotation.
And like you said a cost reduction will probably lead to a damage reduction as well.
Any change to improve energy for Virulence should result in a damage reduction really since Virulence is (PvE) in a good place right now. Which is why I am against any cost reduction change. Takedown/Quickdraw really should stay 15 energy in my opinion.

4.0 might change stuff but we are not in 4.0 yet. In the current situation I think it is the most beneficial if the energy cost for Takedown and Quickdraw stay the same and the energy keeps coming from DoT crits.
Basically do not try to fix something that's not broken, that is what I am trying to say

On the other hand, I do not know the PvP side of things. If PvP requires some change then ofcourse Bioware should look at the current dicipline and make necessary changes. But for PvE no changes are necessary.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

ArcTrooperElite
07.15.2015 , 03:45 PM | #35
I would like to see the energy reduction to takedown that was on the old 4 pc set bonus added to the current 6 pc set bonus. I don't know if it would be wise to replace any of the current 3 bonuses but rather add it to the 6pc. This would allow for more liberal use of takedown as it procs and not leave you in trouble energy wise quite so easily.

BaineOs
07.15.2015 , 03:50 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by ArcTrooperElite View Post
I would like to see the energy reduction to takedown that was on the old 4 pc set bonus added to the current 6 pc set bonus. I don't know if it would be wise to replace any of the current 3 bonuses but rather add it to the 6pc. This would allow for more liberal use of takedown as it procs and not leave you in trouble energy wise quite so easily.
So how would this benefit engineering or marksman?
Es'carli D'Lakutos
Level 1 - 65, three disciplines, three characters, one video

AdjeYo
07.15.2015 , 06:03 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOs View Post
So how would this benefit engineering or marksman?
Better energy managment in execute phase.

Zoidrinali
07.15.2015 , 06:14 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
Better energy managment in execute phase.
So you're only thinking about pve...

Virulence would benefit from that much more so than the other two and it would ne useless for me in pvp. If there are energy management issues with virulence then the spec itself needs to be. changed not the bonus set things.

If they provide went down the route of spec specific bonuses then sure but otherwise that's not something I'd like to see
Es'carli D'Lakutos (Active) - Baine Os Juros (Active)
Engineering spec

Camelpockets
07.15.2015 , 07:02 PM | #39
*Waits for people to read the longish posts favoring against the energy reduction.

Or at least, stop posting the same exact thing.*
Camels the Revanchist

OMGITSJAD
07.15.2015 , 07:23 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Camelpockets View Post
*Waits for people to read the longish posts favoring against the energy reduction.*
*waits for 4.0 pts so we can just discuss class and spec QoL and overall balancing in general instead of just lmited to set bonuses*

Spoiler
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)