Miraluka Lore Questions

Milyssa

I'm thinking of rolling a Miraluka to roleplay. Before I do, I want to make sure I have a few facts straight. I messed up on a few facts and things with my Chiss and it totally ruined the character for me :( I don't want to make the same mistake twice; I hope there are some lore minded people who can help.

1) I have done a search and found that there are varying degrees of knowledge about the Miraluka vision.

In order of detailed vision, I have read:

a. they see just like we do but without eyes (IE: the force paints a realistic and colorful portrate in their minds eye),

b. they can see perfect detail in black and white but those who are shrouded in the force are visualized in an aura of color. So, as if a filter were placed on the black and white image.

c. they cannot see detail of any items that are not touched by the force; that their world is a general haze, becoming sharp when their attention is focused on an item close to the force. I picture them walking around in a fog where people and objects of force present themselves when focused upon.

I cannot seem to find a generally accepted truth though. Is there any further lore in SWTOR that would give more credit to any of this choices, or would it be similar to the adage "Can't prove if a Dog sees in black and white or color, so choose whatever you like."

This effects roleplay a great deal. She cannot be expected to be an excellent armortech if she cannot see detail in a non-force textile. Any insight people can give will help.

2) My understanding of their lifestyle is they are a very loyal people who consider their race more an extended family than a class of people. (Correct?). I also read they live on their homeworld of Alpheridies.

My question is this: If they are as loyal as I am understanding, would they seperate in family groups to live on other planets, or would they choose to remain on Alpheridies, only leaving for important missions or life decisions etc? If their loyalty has no influence on their family's residence, would there be a planet that they would gravatate to?

For example, going back to my Chiss, A Chiss family would be right at home on Hoth as a large number of their race has gravitated to the planet. In terms of Miraluka, would it be reasonable to assume she and her family were living on another planet (and which one) before she joined the Jedi Order on Tython. Afterall, the opening cinematic shows her flying in.... I just need to know from where. :)

Sorry sorry for the TL;DR post... .. I've tried to narrow it down, but these are the two questions that nag at me.

I have a lot of Miraluka characters and a great love for the species so I'll try and give my interpretation. Their sight is obviously an important trait, and I would describe their sense of sight as variable. The force allows them to, through various methods of "seeing" do many things. Whereas a traditionally-sighted Jedi must learn to wield a lightsaber guided by the force, not by their eyes, to a Miraluka there is no difference. Thus I tend to think of them as preternaturally gifted in all forms of martial combat.

The ambiguity over how exactly their sight "works" is reflective of how alien it truly is. Just as a human blind since birth could not tell you what the color blue is, neither could a Miraluka, at least not using any of the same points of reference. I see Miraluka as being able to "focus" in different ways, a Jedi may focus on the energies of combat or the alignments of the force itself, and through careful practice use the force to see what they need to see. So the answer, to me, at least, is all of the above. A Miraluka's vision is whatever it needs to be, if the individual is talented enough to hone their sight in such ways.

The existing pieces of lore on the subject all point to this ambiguity, there are very definite things a Miraluka can do, and they can teach force sight to others, though there is no way to know whether it is the same force sight as a Miraluka possesses. For instance, Visas Marr teaches the Exile force sight, which manifests as seeing individuals alignment and presence in the force without physical detail or attribute. Notably it seems to only show people, and even then there are some who can cloak themselves to that particular technique. If the Sith could completely evade Miraluka sight they would have wiped them out by now.

As for the social sense of being a Miraluka, their nature lends itself to forming close bonds in all things. Many Miraluka join the Jedi Order, and they have long been mutually respectful allies. Miraluka that leave Alpheridies would see joining the Jedi as a worthy and necessary sacrifice. A Miraluka Jedi might have a particularly difficult time forsaking the personal bonds and attachments that the order requires of them. Miraluka of other classes in the Republic may be more individualistic and adventurous, but they would likely bond with their companions in a manner similar to that of family. Miraluka in the Empire would be very uncomfortable, with Miraluka Sith being extremely rare. The best explanation I have, RP-wise for this is kidnapping. Visas Marr was the sole survivor of Darth Nihilus' destruction of Katarr. He warped her force sight to turn her to his servitude. She was, however, very quick to leave and return to the light once defeated by the Exile. My Miraluka Inquisitor is the daughter of my Knight, kidnapped during infancy by a vengeful Sith Lord, for instance.

As for where the Miraluka would be most likely to go, planets strong in the force, and mysterious in the force would be the most likely. They would hold unique appeal. Same for planets with tremendous populations. Coruscant, Corellia, Nar Shaddaa, and Tython are all worlds Miraluka would be in some form drawn to. Miraluka would also likely be fascinated by the recent discovery of Voss. A new arrival to the Jedi on Tython may well have come directly from Alpheridies itself. A Miraluka Jedi living off homeworld before traveling to Tython would be rare. In the Empire, any Miraluka that is not a Bounty Hunter (who would have similar motivations to a Miraluka smuggler I'd think) would have likely been a slave that grew up in the Empire, and have no connection to their homeworld.

The Miraluka homeworld was destroyed by Darth Nihilus 300 years before TOR, so there aren't many left in the galaxy. Also, not all Miraluka become Jedi, since the only Force ability they are guaranteed to get is Force Sight. They can see just fine even in perfect darkness. The Force lights their way. They "see" objects not touched by the Force as a tangible absence of Force, and they see everything else pretty much as we do. Also, the Miraluka Jedi Knight has one of the best lines in the game for his race-specific dialogue options:

On Alderaan, when Lord Neffarid says "You can't fight what you can't see." You can pick the "I see just fine" option. Then Solid Snake replies "My eyes are the Force, and you can't hide for long." Purely Epic, imo. :D

Hmm. Thought for sure Visas said it was her Homeworld where the Jedi Masters had gathered....

It may have been HER homeworld, but not the actual homeworld of all Miraluka. I remember it being specifically called a colony of theirs, as well as it being described as wiping out all Miralukans 'In that sector'.

Yeah, the world Nihilus destroyed was Katarr, a Miraluka colony that the Jedi gathered on because of the Miraluka's strength in the Force. Their homeworld of Alpheridies is still around. I doubt it gets many visitors, though, just because, well, no one but the Miraluka would be able to see.

[snip] A Miraluka's vision is whatever it needs to be, if the individual is talented enough to hone their sight in such ways.

If the Sith could completely evade Miraluka sight they would have wiped them out by now.

As for where the Miraluka would be most likely to go, planets strong in the force, and mysterious in the force would be the most likely. A new arrival to the Jedi on Tython may well have come directly from Alpheridies itself.

I enjoyed reading your answer. It was very helpful. These are the points I found most illuminating, though your examples helped cement the ideas.

Miraluka would also likely be fascinated by the recent discovery of Voss.

As for the above: Why would you make this conclusion? I read in the planet description on the holonet that "Natives of Voss are powerful force users?" As you have already suggested Miraluka prefer force strong planets, I agree that Voss would be of great interest to them.

To summarize: Hopefully my understanding is correct. 1) It would not be unusual for my new Jedi character to have lived her intire life on Alpheridies, growing and learning the Jedi ways on her home planet before coming to Tython. 2) The way my Jedi sees is unique to her and can be changed through study or training.

I'm only quoting from Magics' post, because it was the most detailed, but you've all helped a lot!