Who else uses nova dive/black bolt (by choice)?

Nocher

I feel as though the nova dive gets a bad rap by the community as something inherently inferior to the flashfire, but I believe it is better in most situations if you know how to use it. Are there any among you who agree and pilot the nova dive in favor of the other variant?

I feel as though the nova dive gets a bad rap by the community as something inherently inferior to the flashfire, but I believe it is better in most situations if you know how to use it. Are there any among you who agree and pilot the nova dive in favor of the other variant?

I usually get higher dmg numbers when flying my half geared nova dive than I do on my mastered flashfire but I still like the flashfire more.

I fly them when I need them. Ships are like tools, they have specific functions they fulfill. Choose the right tool for the right job, that's how I see it.

Scout 1 and Scout 2 each have different roles. Is there some overlap? Yeah. Not enough that I'd say one is inferior to the other though. That'd be apples to oranges. They've got different gear selection because they DO different things.

It's the interaction of diverse ship roles that make GSF a team game. I wish people would stop trying to shoehorn everything onto one chassis.

I think the main reason why that ship isn't very popular lies in it's lack of useful secondary weapons for dogfighting. And people who fly a scout, usually want to dogfight.

- Rocket pods are nice and powerful against slow or static targets, but they are mostly useless in dogfights.

- Sabotage probes are gimmick weapons. Difficult to use and very situational at best.

- And Thermite torpedoes are simply crap in their current form.

Edited by Sindariel

I think the main reason why that ship isn't very popular lies in it's lack of useful secondary weapons for dogfighting. And people who fly a scout, usually want to dogfight.

- Rocket pods are nice and powerful against slow or static targets, but they are mostly useless in dogfights.

- Sabotage probes are gimmick weapons. Difficult to use and very situational at best.

But that's the problem. Dogfighting is a waste of time in a team game like GSF. (just leaves you open to gunships, and then the fools complain about how OP gunships are...)

I like my sting, but I looove my blackbolt. Sting is more for killing strikes and other scouts, but the blackbolt has more utility, and in the right hands, is absolutely deadly just the same. With proper upgrades, it can be the ultimate gunship ambusher, and sensor damping won't work on them. True, they aren't as good at dogfighting compared to the sting, but the margin isn't wide, and rocket pods are underrated. Seriously, they double your DPS and have great shield piercing.

Of course, no ship is better at capping objectives than a rocket pods blackbolt, except perhaps a gunship with ion AOE and slug armor piercing.

Edited by Vid-szhite

Given the amount of complaining you get (most rightfully so, I've done it as well) about Ion railguns, I'm not sure where you're getting that Sab Probes are gimmicky. They're a pain when they land on you, and you know you're going to be stuck in a straight line for awhile... that's a death sentence most of the time, whether from enemy fire or crashing into something. It's a different difficulty than ions, but equally dangerous in most situations.

Given the amount of complaining you get (most rightfully so, I've done it as well) about Ion railguns, I'm not sure where you're getting that Sab Probes are gimmicky. They're a pain when they land on you, and you know you're going to be stuck in a straight line for awhile... that's a death sentence most of the time, whether from enemy fire or crashing into something. It's a different difficulty than ions, but equally dangerous in most situations.

Except for Sabo Probes are *far* harder to land than hits w/ Ion Railguns, and they give the target a nice big warning sound while you lock on. The thing that pisses people off about Ion Railguns is the lack of warning - out of nowhere, *bam* no shields, no weapons, no engines, no way to fight back.

Except for Sabo Probes are *far* harder to land than hits w/ Ion Railguns, and they give the target a nice big warning sound while you lock on. The thing that pisses people off about Ion Railguns is the lack of warning - out of nowhere, *bam* no shields, no weapons, no engines, no way to fight back.

Yes, some things are easier about the Ion, but that's mostly because sab probe is pretty balanced for what it does. If it had a 2 second default lock-on time, you'd be hearing a lot more complaining about it. There's a reason there are plenty of comments about at the very least removing the energy drain on the aoe ion attack.

All of that doesn't negate that sab probe really messes you up when it lands... flying in a straight line for a few seconds and mostly like not being able to boost, etc... again, that's most often a death sentence. The whole point of my first post was to say that sab probe is actually worthwhile and has its place in a scout build if you want to run with how it works.

They're a pain when they land on you...

Exactly. When they land on you.

Their long lock-on time and short range makes it really difficult to actually land a hit.

And any half-decent pilot who gets hit by one will never give you another chance to land a second one.

blackbolt all the way.

i'd like a second one so I can have two loadouts.

You can have a second one. It's called Sting. Everything useful the Blackbolt/Novadive has to offer is also available on the Sting/Flashfire, except EMP-Field.

Fact is, EMP-Field is the only thing that makes this ship kind of unique.

Don't understand me wrong. I still use my Blackbolt regularly, but that ship is definetly missing something to make it more useful/versatile outside of certain scenarios.

You can have a second one. It's called Sting. Everything useful the Blackbolt/Novadive has to offer is also available on the Sting/Flashfire, except EMP-Field.

Fact is, EMP-Field is the only thing that makes this ship kind of unique.

Don't understand me wrong. I still use my Blackbolt regularly, but that ship is definetly missing something to make it more useful/versatile outside of certain scenarios.

Yes, the difference is only EMP, but that single component makes you use the Nova/Bolt entirely differently in this new bomber and gunship infested era. Pre-2.6 I would agree with you that there was no compelling reason to be on a Nova, but with the addition of that single ability, along with the new class, the Nova has become a MORE versitile tool than the Flashfire, whose only merits are in dogfighting or killing careless pilots.

The glory of the novadive will come as soon as they patch up the broken double volley cluster missile on the flashfire.

Before, flashfire was so great because it was far beyond broken, a refuge ship for all crummy pilots out there who wanted cheap kills.

They could simply grab targeting telemetry, get the shield piercing crew ability, grab burst cannon and double volley clusters, pop all their cooldowns, and no matter what they were aiming at, it was taking direct hull damage in amounts scout pilots drooled over, all while being untouchable during the onslaught.

The distortion field issue is fixed. The shield piercing is nerfed.

As soon as popping the shield piercing copilot ability and getting a guaranteed hit with your clusters is patched up, this ship has no more unintended advantages.

All those who know how to pilot the novadive like a boss, and can land those rocket pods in a dogfight regardless of what the naysayers tell you, will shine bright.

tl;dr - Depends on play style and what you want to do during a match. I prefer the Nova for node capture, gunship hunting and serious support in Domination, and Flashfire with Kenny Loggins cranked to 11 in Deathmatch

For me it's very situational.

For domination matches I fly the Nova Dive almost exclusively. The speed and engine power are perfect for getting the initial cap and then speeding between nodes for additional support, gunship hunting, and general havoc. Rocket pods are perfect for taking out defensive turrets. I have no problem going into a heavily armed node, blasting a couple turrets away, and if it's being actively defended, I can either speed away or get blasted to bits and be back at the node toot sweet trying to open up a Pack of F'em Ups

In Deathmatch I prefer the Flashfire for pure dogfighting. Much better handling/turning and the offensive abilities just match up better for me. No way I could pull off some of the twisty in & out flying I do in the Flashfire had i been flying the Nova (at least in my loadout).

My pub toon uses a decently upgraded Nova. I love that little ship. My imp has his Sting.

I haven't played in a while TBH (I've burned out and need a break), but I can't play anything other than a scout (both types)... The others just feel too sluggish after my Nova and Sting.

The glory of the novadive will come as soon as they patch up the broken double volley cluster missile on the flashfire.

Before, flashfire was so great because it was far beyond broken, a refuge ship for all crummy pilots out there who wanted cheap kills.

They could simply grab targeting telemetry, get the shield piercing crew ability, grab burst cannon and double volley clusters, pop all their cooldowns, and no matter what they were aiming at, it was taking direct hull damage in amounts scout pilots drooled over, all while being untouchable during the onslaught.

The distortion field issue is fixed. The shield piercing is nerfed.

As soon as popping the shield piercing copilot ability and getting a guaranteed hit with your clusters is patched up, this ship has no more unintended advantages.

All those who know how to pilot the novadive like a boss, and can land those rocket pods in a dogfight regardless of what the naysayers tell you, will shine bright.

You mean the same rockets that the Flashfire can also carry? And it can carry them and have more shields instead of the utterly worthless sensors that the NovaDive is forced to use?

Exactly. When they land on you.

Their long lock-on time and short range makes it really difficult to actually land a hit.

And any half-decent pilot who gets hit by one will never give you another chance to land a second one.

I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here. 5000 meters isn't all that short of a range for a lot of weapons scouts get, and it's the same range as cluster missiles. It's got a longer lock on time than cluster missiles, sure, but it should be longer with the extreme debuff it causes (and I think you can make an argument for cluster missiles having too short of a lock-on time, but that's more open to debate, I know). As for lock on times, 3 second default is tricky, but not impossible. It's not an issue for decent strike pilots with concussion missiles or scouts with sab probe.

The only real secondary weapon that is iffy for scouts is Thermite, I would say... Cluster is the no brainer if you just want some straight damage, rocket pods have their use for static or straight moving targets, and sab probe is the nice debuff option. If you don't want the debuff option, that's your call, but that doesn't mean it's worthless. I dislike rocket pods, but plenty of people get mileage out of them, and you can see how with how they're set up.