DPS class without a set rotation?

Beanze

Hey guys, I don't usually play DPS classes, mostly because I'm not a big fan of just pressing 1,2,3,4,5 and repeat for the whole fight.

I'm wondering if there is a DPS class that works off of mostly procs or something or a priority, rather than a set rotation.

I just get bored if I just press the same buttons in the same spot all the time, want some variation.

I've never done ops and I want to try, and I was told that DPS is the way to go for a first timer, but want something fun to play while I do it. Thanks

Are most specs forgiving if you miss something in your rotation, due to a mechanic where you have to move and may not be able to use a channeled or casted ability? Or is it a huge dps loss if that happens? Never ran a parse or anything so I don't know how detrimental that kinda stuff is.

Are most specs forgiving if you miss something in your rotation, due to a mechanic where you have to move and may not be able to use a channeled or casted ability? Or is it a huge dps loss if that happens? Never ran a parse or anything so I don't know how detrimental that kinda stuff is.

All non-force classes (bounty hunter, agent, trooper, smuggler) have a punishing resource management system where if you mess up, you can lose a lot of DPS. As far as channeled ability specs having issues in fights with lots of movement, that only affects ranged specs.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Okay, I've been interested in either guardian or marauder lately, are they fun to play, or do they have stale rotations?

My favorite spec is Vigilance Guardian/Veng Jugg. Fairly simplistic once you know your priority, and has a dot system that doesn't severely hurt your burst damage. It can also respec into a tank which is my main role.

Fury Marauder/Conc Sentinel is the best DPS spec at the moment, though it isn't as easy to learn as some other specs and has a leap in the rotation.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Okay, I've been interested in either guardian or marauder lately, are they fun to play, or do they have stale rotations?

Far as marauder, I like annihilation. Why? Sure you can follow a set rotation but you can easily get by with 4 moves once you leap into action. The base attack, vicious slash, battering assault and force tend. The latter two just because it keeps up your force energy. Outside of that you can almost endlessly hit 2 till you run out of energy and if you time it right the other two abilities are back up and more force energy. Or spam the base attack a few times then mash vicious assault.

I mean it can be more in-depth with a rotation to get a lot of damage but you can literally make annihilation that easy.

From the top of my head:

- Deception assassin is the most dynamic rotation.

- Merc arsenal,concealment operative, AP powertech have some dynamism, and even if some optimal usage exists, it doesn't feel like a set rotation at all (well AP has a set proc every 4 abilities)

- Vigi jugg, anni mara, leth operative, viru sniper, pyro PT have some strict DoT reapplication rules, but it does have some dynamism

- IO merc, fury mara, rage jugg, carnage mara, Engi sniper are really punishing if you don't follow an optimal rotation. MM sniper is kinda set, but not as punishing.

I haven't played sorc DPS specs in ages, IIRC I'd put Madness in the 3rd category (strict dots but not that punishing) and lightning in the 2nd (dynamic, tho not as much as deception). I might be wrong tho.

I haven't played dps assassin but I will say lightning/Tele have a few procs for you to watch. Very priority based. Granted you have to like ranged and you have to over look that it's lagging behind the pack right now.

Tele is one of my very favorite specs in the game because of the procs. The animations shaking the screen make everything feel so impactful. And then you proc off extra casts and so much is usable on the move. If your after a fast paced spec I recommend it highly.

Far as marauder, I like annihilation. Why? Sure you can follow a set rotation but you can easily get by with 4 moves once you leap into action. The base attack, vicious slash, battering assault and force tend. The latter two just because it keeps up your force energy. Outside of that you can almost endlessly hit 2 till you run out of energy and if you time it right the other two abilities are back up and more force energy. Or spam the base attack a few times then mash vicious assault.

I mean it can be more in-depth with a rotation to get a lot of damage but you can literally make annihilation that easy.

As a marauder main, this makes me facepalm so hard my face is in another dimension now.

As a marauder main, this makes me facepalm so hard my face is in another dimension now.

Good for you. I'm not saying I do that. I'm just saying it's possible if people simply want the least amount of buttons possible.

Me I actually use a rotation and it works out damn well while keeping my energy high so I can always use other abilities and use the least amount of the base attack.

You should never be encouraging players to get by with doing the minimal amount possible. That said, the OP didn't ask about this, and your post about what is the minimum 4 abilities is horribly misleading. That kind of advice leads to PUGs failing flashpoints, so please, don't give bad advice!

You should never be encouraging players to get by with doing the minimal amount possible. That said, the OP didn't ask about this, and your post about what is the minimum 4 abilities is horribly misleading. That kind of advice leads to PUGs failing flashpoints, so please, don't give bad advice!

Why not give bad advise. Then you get easy kills.

Da faq did I just read?

What spec do you run? I am currently at carnage but damn I am always low on rage and have to spam that fkn base attack. Any advice?

I play all specs on nightmare level, tho I mainly roll with annihilation because anni is love. I hate playing fury but I spec into it if for some reason I need more burst than what anni provides.

I haven't played carnage in raids after BW destroyed the spec with the ferocity rework.

You can find a solid rotation for carnage by browsing parsely, there might be something uploaded by me (Liffu), but I don't remember if I uploaded anything on carnage.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be a "rotation". Yes all DPS classes have optimal opener: do abilities in a specific order so that you maximize DPS early. But then, in my experience, most DPS classes are "priority" based:

you have 5 or 6 abilities, most have a CD

when one comes off CD use it

If two come off CD at relatively the same time use ability A first

When all 4 or 5 CD abilities are on CD use your filler.

The one that I hear is the most "set in stone"/"press 1,2,3,4,5 repeat" is the sharpshooter gunslinger.

I play all specs on nightmare level, tho I mainly roll with annihilation because anni is love. I hate playing fury but I spec into it if for some reason I need more burst than what anni provides.

I haven't played carnage in raids after BW destroyed the spec with the ferocity rework.

You can find a solid rotation for carnage by browsing parsely, there might be something uploaded by me (Liffu), but I don't remember if I uploaded anything on carnage.

Is anni good for both pve and pvp at the moment?