Any changes for Resolve and/or help with CC on melee?

Skeptical

The forums really need another thread from Operative/Smuggler players who think a very needed damage nerf is the end of the game and world, but what about other aspects of the game?

It seems like there are way too many CC abilities that either don't give any Resolve or barely fill Resolve up.

Roots are horrible on melee. CC in general is, but Roots need to increase Resolve a good bit and I don't think that they currently raise Resolve by much, if at all.

Are some abilities ignoring Resolve or is Resolve not working as intended?

It feels like it currently is not.

When you couple that with the escapes and mitigation that ranged classes have it really highlights the ranged vs melee issues that every game seems to suffer from.

Shouldn't the Resolve mechanics and the amount of Resolve CC gives be a priority insofar as PvP balance is concerned?

P.S. Don't use my post to try to "prove" that Operative/Smuggler nerf isn't necessary because it is.

Agreed. I also wish that if your Resolve Bar was filled, that you got immune to every CC.

Right now, if your resolve bar fills, and they wait about 3 seconds, they can CC me again, and it doesn't throw me over to Immune to all CC, it just puts me at 100%. It requires you to be at 100% Resolve and hit by another CC in order to get completely immune.

ya when its filled but not "filled" that is when i get mad, also snare and roots should work when the bar is "filled"

Roots do work when the bar is "filled" and that's one of the biggest issues melee classes face. Roots are really long, they don't seem to fill Resolve up much if at all, and they can be used on you even if your bar is full.

Maybe I'm missing something but that seems broken to me.

I was confused as heck about the resolve/CC issue until i read this post...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61363

helped me understand a ton when i should/shouldn't use cc breaker..

As for roots not affecting resolve, i THINK that is intended (according to that post pretty much, that seems like how it should be) biggest problem ATM with CC is EVERYONE has it most of the time in warzones i have no CLUE who CCed me, sometimes not even sure if it is a stun, a knockdown or a root even!

roots are an issue i understand for melee's and i know so little about them in this game (having not played a melee one), but out of curiosity how many roots do melee's have and how fast is the cooldown for your "gap closer skill"??

Only time i really get annoyed with being rooted is when i get hit by i think it is sith juggernaughts/jedi guardians who have the leap that does a knock back and does a 100% root, also the sith sorcs lightening attack as long as that is hitting me it seems like it does a 50%+ root to me as well.

The resolve bar is a "interesting" concept, and i see why they did it instead of diminishing returns for stuns/cc's and that is simply because everyone has at least ONE stun, and ONE root, if not multiple of each....

I do have some experience with roots though, being a sawbones smuggler, about 2/3 of my attacks (in fact all but 2) have a range of like 4-5meters (melee distance in other words) and the thing i learned that helped a ton in warzones (and PvP in ilum) is use my own 40% root attack if they start to flee, because i am normally being rooted by someone else randomly, but i never use that attack unless i notice the person breaking away from me due to my own character being rooted...

personal opinion though i kinda like resolve not being hurt by roots, i think it might get "reset" too often if roots filled it up too, that might inadvertently make stuns more powerful by making everyone's resolve bar be constantly filling up and emptying.

This is a worthy discussion,

Resolve is a good concept but yes i do think hardroots and slows should fill some of the resolve bar, id say knockbacks may give to little of it right now aswell but i dont have any hardfacts except being knocked around like a pinball in huttball :)

Maybe i should try a duel with somebody and use my assassin slow on them and see what it gives. (and my knockback then).

edit typo

Edited by Cabriel

I was confused as heck about the resolve/CC issue until i read this post...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61363

helped me understand a ton when i should/shouldn't use cc breaker..

As for roots not affecting resolve, i THINK that is intended (according to that post pretty much, that seems like how it should be) biggest problem ATM with CC is EVERYONE has it most of the time in warzones i have no CLUE who CCed me, sometimes not even sure if it is a stun, a knockdown or a root even!

roots are an issue i understand for melee's and i know so little about them in this game (having not played a melee one), but out of curiosity how many roots do melee's have and how fast is the cooldown for your "gap closer skill"??

Only time i really get annoyed with being rooted is when i get hit by i think it is sith juggernaughts/jedi guardians who have the leap that does a knock back and does a 100% root, also the sith sorcs lightening attack as long as that is hitting me it seems like it does a 50%+ root to me as well.

The resolve bar is a "interesting" concept, and i see why they did it instead of diminishing returns for stuns/cc's and that is simply because everyone has at least ONE stun, and ONE root, if not multiple of each....

I do have some experience with roots though, being a sawbones smuggler, about 2/3 of my attacks (in fact all but 2) have a range of like 4-5meters (melee distance in other words) and the thing i learned that helped a ton in warzones (and PvP in ilum) is use my own 40% root attack if they start to flee, because i am normally being rooted by someone else randomly, but i never use that attack unless i notice the person breaking away from me due to my own character being rooted...

personal opinion though i kinda like resolve not being hurt by roots, i think it might get "reset" too often if roots filled it up too, that might inadvertently make stuns more powerful by making everyone's resolve bar be constantly filling up and emptying.

CC breaker is 2 minutes and usually talented to 1 minute 30 seconds.

Melee doesn't get roots. Some melee Assassins/Shadows have a few stuns and a snare but no root.

Sentinels/Marauders have a tree with a root in it and another talent in the same tree that turns Force Camo into a CC breaker but they are about midway up the tree.

Guardians Force Push now resets Force Leaps cooldown and I'm sure that helps a lot but I haven't played my Guardian since the changes to see how it affects CC in PvP.

Ranged classes seemingly have no counters to their strengths. By that I do not mean from other classes.

For instance, Guardians/Juggernauts have increased survivability but reduced damage.

Ranged classes have roots, stuns, damage mitigation, and high damage. Something needs to give in order for the disparity between ranged and melee to be on somewhat of an equal footing.

As it stands now, it's always an uphill struggle for melee versus ranged because you burn up your cooldowns getting into range only to be rooted then snared and have to slog through their DPS to get in range again.

Every melee class has 1 or 2 "ranged" abilities but you can't spam them, they don't do much damage and they don't counter ranged escape mechanics or snares.

Granted Shadows/Assassins have a speed burst that pushes them in close enough to have options but once it's used up you aren't going to live long enough for another cooldown when you're being focused.

Marauders/Sentinels have Leap abilities but they can't be used when you're rooted and roots seem to last way too long. Root duration should be halved. It's entirely too long to be a CC that stops melee DPS in their tracks and doesn't increase Resolve.

If it's going to be as long as it is it's needs to give out at least half a bar of Resolve if not more.

Increasing Resolve on roots wouldn't make Stuns more powerful, it would make them less effective and cut down on some of the excessive CC in PvP.

Roots do work when the bar is "filled" and that's one of the biggest issues melee classes face. Roots are really long, they don't seem to fill Resolve up much if at all, and they can be used on you even if your bar is full.

Maybe I'm missing something but that seems broken to me.

Three seconds isn't that long and there is only one melee class Knights/warriors the rest are basically hybrids. Shadows have ranged attacks and methods to get out of roots. The longest root is 3 second so saying they last too long is a bit of misnomer.

Leg Shot roots for 5 seconds: http://www.torhead.com/ability/1KgmaGG/leg-shot

It's instant, has no GCD, and has only a 15 second cooldown.

It's on a class with multiple knockbacks and a snare AND can't be the target of Force Leap while in cover.

So Knights are Forced to slog through the snare, dps, knockbacks which all give very little Resolve, then get Rooted which ignores the Resolve bar.

5 seconds is ample time to get some range and breathing room to start the snaring process all over again.

So no it's not a "misnomer". And by neglecting to take into consideration the plethora of other CC available to just this one class/spec you are missing the big picture.

When you factor in the CC available to all classes it's makes for PvP with an excessive amount of CC and it's the crux of the disparity between melee and ranged classes.

Edited by Skeptical

I just want roots affected by resolve. Heck my class in its shared tree has a 2 second root on a 9 second cd with 30m range. No one at all should ever ever ever be able to control anyone's movement 20% of the time before counting other CCs like snare (fine with it not being resolved), stun, kb, kd, without it affecting resolve.

Also to the person 2 above me sins have ways to get out of roots that's true once every 20 (if specced) or 30 seconds and only available to tanksin. All sins attacks are within 10m except the madness top tier ability our own stupidly overpowered root or once every 2 mins we can make our force lightning reach 30m plus all our non immidately melee range attacks have cds on them. Saying roots aren't a big deal for sins/shadows is wrong.

Edited by kainsec

I just want roots affected by resolve. Heck my class in its shared tree has a 2 second root on a 9 second cd with 30m range. No one at all should ever ever ever be able to control anyone's movement 20% of the time before counting other CCs like snare (fine with it not being resolved), stun, kb, kd, without it affecting resolve.

Also to the person 2 above me sins have ways to get out of roots that's true once every 20 (if specced) or 30 seconds and only available to tanksin. All sins attacks are within 10m except the madness top tier ability our own stupidly overpowered root or once every 2 mins we can make our force lightning reach 30m plus all our non immidately melee range attacks have cds on them. Saying roots aren't a big deal for sins/shadows is wrong.

There's no reason whatsoever that Resolve should not be affected by Roots.

I don't think being in Cover should negate Force Leap either. Both together is too much. Add in snares and stuns and it's troubling that the current mechanics have lasted this long.

If ranged classes can be immune to melee's gap closers than why doesn't melee have some form of root/stun/snare immunity other than Resolve?

Edited by Skeptical

Increasing Resolve on roots wouldn't make Stuns more powerful, it would make them less effective and cut down on some of the excessive CC in PvP.

*snips*

Ah your much more informed than me on stuff thank ya for the info :),

The reason i said/implied it might make it more powerful is if roots are constantly resetting the resolve, your resolve will be active/drained much more often, i am ALWAYS watching someone's resolve to see if it is full/empty, so i know if i wanna use my 7second mez or my 3second stun, i also sometimes (if it is 1v1) use my stealth mez to make em burn their CC breaker then wait till the resolve is empty again then stun them. If they are almost full i usually use my 7second mez, watch em break it because their resolve is full and they figure now is the best time to use the CC break, i then just run around while resolve empties etc etc..

If i could use my root to reset/fill up resolve i might be able to use that in situations to reset people's resolve so my 7second mez or 3second stun would last full time (if they had no CC breaker up)

dunno would be interesting to play with root's causing more resolve, just to see the difference if it helped or hurt things.

on a side note, in warzones i honestly usually get killed my melee's 2nd most often, with sith sorcs being #1killer, bh/mercs being 3nd and finally smugglers/IA's being 4th. I think this is because i am a scoundrel though and my defense sucks, yet i have to be "up close" to do damage :)

i could see commando's/vanguards and bh/mercs driving melee tanks NUTS with roots and kiting

There's no reason whatsoever that Resolve should not be affected by Roots.

I don't think being in Cover should negate Force Leap either. Both together is too much. Add in snares and stuns and it's troubling that the current mechanics have lasted this long.

If ranged classes can be immune to melee's gap closers than why doesn't melee have some form of root/stun/snare immunity other than Resolve?

quick question does that "shield" that snipers/gunslingers put down prevent force leap?? if so that would be annoying, as a scoundrel i NEVER use cover (we only have the 2 baseline smuggler abilities that require it), but i tried it a few times seeing how it affects force leap (which drives me crazy btw that leap has like a 30m range doesn't it? i swear sometimes it seems like they JUST come into view then WHAM they are on top of me :)

quick question does that "shield" that snipers/gunslingers put down prevent force leap?? if so that would be annoying, as a scoundrel i NEVER use cover (we only have the 2 baseline smuggler abilities that require it), but i tried it a few times seeing how it affects force leap (which drives me crazy btw that leap has like a 30m range doesn't it? i swear sometimes it seems like they JUST come into view then WHAM they are on top of me :)

Yeah, being in Cover (the shields) negates Force Leap. You can't Leap at a target who's in cover.

And I'm interested to see how Resolve being affected by root would affect PvP. The test server is a perfect place to try it out.

Edited by Skeptical

The forums really need another thread from Operative/Smuggler players who think a very needed damage nerf is the end of the game and world, but what about other aspects of the game?

It seems like there are way too many CC abilities that either don't give any Resolve or barely fill Resolve up.

Roots are horrible on melee. CC in general is, but Roots need to increase Resolve a good bit and I don't think that they currently raise Resolve by much, if at all.

Are some abilities ignoring Resolve or is Resolve not working as intended?

It feels like it currently is not.

When you couple that with the escapes and mitigation that ranged classes have it really highlights the ranged vs melee issues that every game seems to suffer from.

Shouldn't the Resolve mechanics and the amount of Resolve CC gives be a priority insofar as PvP balance is concerned?

P.S. Don't use my post to try to "prove" that Operative/Smuggler nerf isn't necessary because it is.

As a sentinel, this is pretty much how all my WZ encounters go.

1. Engage and hammer on one ability that has a 50/50 chance of never going off.

2. Hold (remove with resolute) - knockback - hold - hold - knockback - dead

3. Rinse/repeat

Playing a sentinel in PVP is like a stress test. Now I get my *** kicked by level 17 sorcerers at 48.

It's like the PVP is bad on purpose.

As a sentinel, this is pretty much how all my WZ encounters go.

1. Engage and hammer on one ability that has a 50/50 chance of never going off.

2. Hold (remove with resolute) - knockback - hold - hold - knockback - dead

3. Rinse/repeat

Playing a sentinel in PVP is like a stress test. Now I get my *** kicked by level 17 sorcerers at 48.

It's like the PVP is bad on purpose.

I don't think it would be that bad if some of the CC was toned down or Resolve gains were increased, or even just making all CC increase Resolve.

Can anyone come up with a legitimate reason for Resolve not being affected by roots?