lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

I see warzones as a way to get pvp gear which I then use to participate in open world pvp. Yes there isn't much out there at the moment but if you see some of the changes made in the game there is some coming down the road. Edited by GorZie

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s unfortunate that our Bolster 2.0 release hasn’t gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped and that can certainly lead to the suggestion of limiting its use, but without some kind of system in-place we would be in a situation where players will have been playing in a competitive PvP environment as they level up, and as soon as they hit level 55 their PvP enjoyment immediately tanks and they are forced to “suffer through it” to gain enough Warzone Commendations to buy gear to finally be competitive (or simply never play PvP again). We believe that would be very bad in the long run for SW:TOR PvP, and something we are working to avoid.

The problem of newbies not having viable PVP gear can be directly attributed to BioWares policy of restricting PVP gear purchases solely to max level characters. People don't have the gear because you active prevent them from purchasing it until it's too late. I'd dare say that most of us start PVPing around level 10, but thousands, tens of thousands of WZ/RWZ commendations are wasted because of the WZ commendation cap. Why not try:

1. Armor remains level 55, and may not be worn until level 55.

2. Partisan gloves would be purchasable at level 20. Boots at level 25. Belt at level 30. Helmet at level 35. Pants at level 40. Top at level 45. Off hand at level 50. Main hand at level 55. Players would actually have something meaningful to spend their WZ commendations on, and those that PVP diligently would easily have a full set to be competitive as soon as they hit level cap.

Too much time is being spent trying to streamline the system to accommodate non-PVPers at the expense of alienating the loyal PVPers. Bolster is a great concept, however until that system can be fixed, it remains a bigger liability than not having anything at all. Please fix it right or remove it altogether.

The fact remains that while its a valid concern with pvp gearing, the whole point of having a pvp stat is now pointless really.

Think about it, why have a pvp stat to begin with? To separate the gear from pve gear and make it useful in pvp.

While i dont even play PVE, and dont care to, having the bolster system as well as pvp gear with exp like it is now just seems like buying and wearing two jockstraps on top of eachother before a football game. Unecessary.

It just feels like another band-aid on a problem that needs to be ripped down with a slegdehammer and built from scratch. F2P recruited more players, wich is a very good thing. I love this game. But if the mantra could be fix a problem, then release it. Actually listen to people who know what their talking about, class feedback and actually adjusting the classes more thouroughly. Test it, then implement it. If it doesnt work, change it again!

Why do you think WoW was so successful for so long? Because they learned from their mistakes, stopped releasing patches before they were done and actually listened to the community! Wich in turns meant more subs! => More money! Sure they *****ed and whined because like any rabid consumers they want it, and they want it NOW.

But that ************ was silenced when they finally released an awesome patch.

Youre never going to see perfect class balance. And you guys are really good at balancing when you decide to do it, but its too far inbetween! And no feedback!

TLDR ; Quality > Quantity = more money

Edited by Dasgruberg

.... I'd dare say that most of us start PVPing around level 10, but thousands, tens of thousands of WZ/RWZ commendations are wasted because of the WZ commendation cap.....

No idea why the cap is so low, would be more sensible to raise the caps to something around the 12k-13k mark.

Stupid limitation, once you have full partisan which are purchased using WZ comms, RWZ comms take longer to gain if you don't play in ranked WZ, so you literally waste WZ comms which could be used to gear up alts for PVP.

WZ comms cap = 2750

RWZ comms cap = 4500

Full set of Partisan gear = 12475

So while i'm grinding away for full conq gear i'll be wasting a hell of a lot of WZ comms (unless i purchase early and pull mods early for legacy gear transfers). Let's face it, the PVP dailies / weekly doesn't give you enough credits to do that. They could always remove the costs incurred in pulling mods with expertise so it's a viable option. Anything is better than the cap limitation there is right now.

No idea why the cap is so low, would be more sensible to raise the caps to something around the 12k-13k mark.

Stupid limitation, once you have full partisan which are purchased using WZ comms, RWZ comms take longer to gain if you don't play in ranked WZ, so you literally waste WZ comms which could be used to gear up alts for PVP.

WZ comms cap = 2750

RWZ comms cap = 4500

Full set of Partisan gear = 12475

So while i'm grinding away for full conq gear i'll be wasting a hell of a lot of WZ comms (unless i purchase early and pull mods early for legacy gear transfers). Let's face it, the PVP dailies / weekly doesn't give you enough credits to do that. They could always remove the costs incurred in pulling mods with expertise so it's a viable option. Anything is better than the cap limitation there is right now.

Are you saying your not converting regular coms into ranked?

You cannot convert them till you reach valor 40. Valor 40 is reached when you reach level 40.

That would be 30 levels PVPing without ability to convert to ranked, thus you end up buying crap just so they dont get wasted... even boxes you can buy throw out crap stuff

Im not PVPer, I casually run into wz for fun but I understand how hard core PVPers feel right now.

Edited by SettGirkkurn

The funny thing is that many of those casual players that don't read forums and such got the notion that they needed to wear their recruit gear hammered into them. And now, wearing their recruit gear is the worst possible thing to do... Edited by Savej

Biowere is doing not besides sitting at a table and discussing this issue like politics. So basically nothing is getting done. Just quit the dam game like i did, star wars is dead thanks to biowere and Disney. SWTOR birth certificate says *expired* . Why play a game and waste your money on a game with no hope?. The economy is bad so just use $15 a month to pay a bill, get some food, go somewhere fun. You only live once so why waste it on this game anymore. I use to think it was the best MMO, But now that they did the bolster its my last straw, They lack the experience needed to keep customers happy. They lack the repair and capability to keep in game drama off the forums. If the Dev don't get their act together and work as a team, and stop thinking too hard i see no future. I love the game i really do but its gone to far. What happened to the old saying "The Customer is always right, even if they are wrong", Also no matter how much u want to kill them "the customer is always right"

I see warzones as a way to get pvp gear which I then use to participate in open world pvp. Yes there isn't much out there at the moment but if you see some of the changes made in the game there is some coming down the road.

If that's true; then I will be happy. Don't really care about bolster either way. Content and participation is more important to me in an MMO. That said; I will believe it when I see it. I certainly am not going to hang around holding my breath.

The bolster system makes sense for levels 10-54 and it helps to keep the war-zone pops somewhat frequent while giving everyone even the low levels some fun while in there. This was actually a great idea and it works well.

The bolster system should NOT be in 55 regular or ranked war-zones.

When a player reaches 55 they should be given a set of basic PVP gear for war-zones. This set of PVP gear should be better than any PVE gear inside of a war-zone. The Partisan and Conqueror sets should be superior to the Basic PVP set considering the amount of time and effort it takes to grind them.

Players who PVP typically want to see results from their hard efforts and time they put into obtaining the BEST PVP gear. These players should see results just as players who PVE see the results from their PVE gear in their PVE environments.

Regards,

Polysporinski aka Neosporinski

The funny thing is that many of those casual players that don't read forums and such got the notion that they needed to wear their recruit gear hammered into them. And now, wearing their recruit gear is the worst possible thing to do...

That's actually a good point. I also feel for the returning Battlemaster, Champion or Centurion wearing guys.

The bolster system makes sense for levels 10-54 and it helps to keep the war-zone pops somewhat frequent while giving everyone even the low levels some fun while in there. This was actually a great idea and it works well.

The bolster system should NOT be in 55 regular or ranked war-zones.

When a player reaches 55 they should be given a set of basic PVP gear for war-zones. This set of PVP gear should be better than any PVE gear inside of a war-zone. The Partisan and Conqueror sets should be superior to the Basic PVP set considering the amount of time and effort it takes to grind them.

Players who PVP typically want to see results from their hard efforts and time they put into obtaining the BEST PVP gear. These players should see results just as players who PVE see the results from their PVE gear in their PVE environments.

Regards,

Polysporinski aka Neosporinski

I Agree 100%

• Dev Post
I think most of us knew the goal of bolster at 55. We just want it to work correctly. Any word on a fix?

Good question! I probably should have mentioned that in my post. The bug that players are experiencing in relation to augments in certain armor slots will be fixed in Game Update 2.1, which is currently slated for release next Tuesday, 5/14.

-eric

Good question! I probably should have mentioned that in my post. The bug that players are experiencing in relation to augments in certain armor slots will be fixed in Game Update 2.1, which is currently slated for release next Tuesday, 5/14.

-eric

How about scamper roll being able to go over force fields, or making Huttleball pointless?

-eric

can you explain how bolster will effects end game pvp augments. Will 14 lvl 55 augments be 100% equal to 14 lv 25 augments or will the 55 lvl have an edge?

-eric

Finally! Thanks Eric.

-eric

Eric what about all the examples about the bolster don't giving the right stats to ppl in pve or mix gear?

Eric what about all the examples about the bolster don't giving the right stats to ppl in pve or mix gear?

It'll take them months to hash all of those out, I'm betting. Which is why an alternative to bolster needs to happen :/

-eric

Are you confident that PvP gear is absolutely better then the high end PvE gear? As there is no reason that we should have to raid or grind FPs to compete on an even level in PvP. There is a lot of misinformation, possibly, right now about what is BiS for PvP.

Is there anyway we can get clarification on how bolster works exactly so we can ensure PvP gear is BiS.

Not doing stuff like using BiS PvE armor with PvP mods or something of that nature to trick bolster in to adding stats it shouldnt? In addition is there a reason that the bolster doesnt look at X item and see is there ANY expertise on the item in any slot? If so do not bolster it at all. This way if people swap mods or w/e it is either Y = no bolster, Z = add bolster for the slot. Why look at each individual slot it over complicates the system and creates loop holes for players to exploit and gain an advantage which will likely include using the high end PvE gear since the iLevel is much higher then PvP.

Yes this could cause power creep for people that augment or depending on bolster if you have bolster include an average level augment then people that dont augment could possibly be at a slight disadvantage or on even footing most likely. However all of those scenarios are minor to what we have encountered thus far which has created a huge mess include that with the lack of communication and slow response time to fix.

Ideally this time should be spent fine tuning classes instead of bolster. Hopefully that is what is next on the list as there were major changes made but no tuning done yet to adjust the extreme TTK issues.

It'll take them months to hash all of those out, I'm betting. Which is why an alternative to bolster needs to happen :/

Don't get me wrong .. I am not a fan of the bolster .. but is definitely a stepin the right direction..

-eric

good to hear. but I would really like to know why BW isn't punishing the people who have been exploiting the augment bug in WZs. exploiting bugs for advantage is against TOS, isn't it? game will be better off long term if you ban cheaters out of the game.

good to hear. but I would really like to know why BW isn't punishing the people who have been exploiting the augment bug in WZs. exploiting bugs for advantage is against TOS, isn't it? game will be better off long term if you ban cheaters out of the game.

I can tell you for sure.. that harbinger will be empty if they enforce the TOS, I should have done a screenshot of my last wz a shadow with 47k :D yeap he was hitting like wet cotton but still

Why didn't BW punish people who took advantage of naked bolster before that was fixed?

Are you confident that PvP gear is absolutely better then the high end PvE gear? As there is no reason that we should have to raid or grind FPs to compete on an even level in PvP. There is a lot of misinformation, possibly, right now about what is BiS for PvP.

Is there anyway we can get clarification on how bolster works exactly so we can ensure PvP gear is BiS.

Not doing stuff like using BiS PvE armor with PvP mods or something of that nature to trick bolster in to adding stats it shouldnt? In addition is there a reason that the bolster doesnt look at X item and see is there ANY expertise on the item in any slot? If so do not bolster it at all. This way if people swap mods or w/e it is either Y = no bolster, Z = add bolster for the slot. Why look at each individual slot it over complicates the system and creates loop holes for players to exploit and gain an advantage which will likely include using the high end PvE gear since the iLevel is much higher then PvP.

Yes this could cause power creep for people that augment or depending on bolster if you have bolster include an average level augment then people that dont augment could possibly be at a slight disadvantage or on even footing most likely. However all of those scenarios are minor to what we have encountered thus far which has created a huge mess include that with the lack of communication and slow response time to fix.

Ideally this time should be spent fine tuning classes instead of bolster. Hopefully that is what is next on the list as there were major changes made but no tuning done yet to adjust the extreme TTK issues.

no he is not sure. because pvp gear is currently useless in pvp. which means bioware have no idea what they are doing currently. conqueror gear takes 3 times as long, and is significantly worse than black market gear in war zones. the difference on a full tank spec guardian in full base conqueror gear (no augs) and full black market with blue augs (not even purple) , is roughly 9k hp and double the dps output. until they get rid of bolster in 55's, pve gear will always be significantly better due to the enormous increase in main stats. my sub will stay canceled until pvper's dont have to do pve just to compete. (all rateds are being dominated by black market gear, makes sense right?)