Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Eric you are a *********** stain, just ignore everything and continue saying NA servers are the best option you should be in parliment!

Wow I'm not sure that's called for. He was simply told to make these posts and likely had no say in the choices. Don't shoot the messenger.

You wonder why they aren't replying when getting abused. Have a bit of civility.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually typed out a decently long response about why this merge would work in the long run, but then i realized that most people would not like to hear what i have to say so im going to resort to :

DEY TUK YER SERVERZ

Jack, really glad you are writing with some thought now instead of the pages of trolling that have been your mark till now.

Let's assume that we are right that this is a purely financial decision.

Considering that this is an EA game, we can also assume it is being hosted in the EA server farm for Australia.

Now I don't like the assumption that the cost in contracting that server group is so high it isn't being paid for by the current player base on the servers, especially with the F2P markets increased revenue. What the real issue here is having to pay any Australian workers, or Australian advertising costs.

Those Advertising costs were cut shortly after the game was even released to Australia, in April/May last year. They obviously didn't get the influx they were hoping for with a couple TV adds during sporting events, and so cut losses. I don't think anyone would begrudge them that.

But it seems to me they obviously made the call that these servers were temporary back then. Hence why when the rest of the world got server mergers to super servers, we didn't. When the rest of the world got F2P, they got advertising for it to get people in the door, we didn't.

They choked us off, and have continued to do so, because of a decision pretty clearly made nearly a year ago.

You are dead right that it is unlikely that EA will change thier minds based of a decision no one has questioned for that long. But there is a window for this change, in that they still have to transfer us with this aweful incomplete character transfer system. As long as it will cost them man hours (=$) to transfer us, we have a window to try and reach someone to re-evaluate the call.

EA does listen to the market enough that if we show on Sunday there was enough of us for our own server, that had they advertised there was money they have cast away on a bad business practices, they may look at alternatives rather than have more bad press.

Sunday is a positive action we can take that may be for naught, but declaring it will 'never work' because big business can't move quickly just absolves the business of ever moving quickly on any issue.

It would likely bring more negative press on EA to show up to PAX Melbourne and heckle thier booth and hinder thier presentations. It would likely hurt EA a few manhours by each making accounts and new characters on these current servers just to increase load on the transfer and destination servers. But those are just negative reactions, that will be forgotten well before the memory of a day we showed them what we could make if they had let us try.

That is what Sunday is, Jack.

Yeah I get what where you're coming from but you can't honestly think it will change anything?

I wanted to give an update on some things and answer some questions we have seen in the thread. First, one of the things we have seen multiple people suggest is that if we are going to merge the APAC servers into the NA West servers that we should give you the option to choose which NA West server you transfer to. Knowing that some APAC players have existing characters and Legacies on some NA West servers already, we agree. When we open free transfers we will allow you one time transfer from your current APAC server to any one of the NA West servers. Note: The actual server merges themselves will still happen based on server type, so once we open transfers make sure you move all of your characters to the server you want before the merge happens.

We have also seen some concerns that we “haven’t considered what NA West’s populations are at offpeak times.” Actually, this is part of the reason we are making the decision to move APAC into NA West. Currently the equivalent NA West servers are seeing higher populations at offpeak times than their APAC counterparts. Meaning that even during offpeak NA times, the APAC players should see an increase in population after the transfers/merges.

-eric

thank you for the update, sorry others are trying to hold you responable for something you had no part of. But one thing you did not answer, will there be some correct/fix/improvement of the server connection? I don't like to use other games as expample, but in this case I have to. You ping from asia is terrible, WOW, BF3, SImcity (not like ping really matters there), D3, all have playable pings and no lag spikes. Are they going to do anything about this? if not, than they are basiclly telling asia as a whole to unsub.

i actually typed out a decently long response about why this merge would work in the long run, but then i realized that most people would not like to hear what i have to say so im going to resort to :

DEY TUK YER SERVERZ

Still posting to hear your own voice I see, why don't you truncate your next post out of existence.

DEY TUK YER SERVERZ

EVERYONE BACK IN THE PILE!

Is literally what the petitions and server gatherings look like haha

Still posting to hear your own voice I see, why don't you truncate your next post out of existence.

oh let me introduce you to logic,

Since you just replied to my post to tell me that i was listening to my own voice, proved that you read and acknowledged my post, which nullifies your statement about me listening to my own voice.

He's a troll because he see's the reality of it all? Yeah real mature. Just because you're angry doesn't mean you need to flame people who have an adverse opinion to you and call them a 'troll'

What reality? The APAC servers are still working. The only thing that is certain is that we know eaware's intended course of action.

Some people are trying to change that course of action. You, Jack and a few others don't like this. Great - you've put your opinion up. It's been noted and a lot of people seem to disagree with you. Deal with it. Repeating the same lines and ad hominem attacks every time another person steps up and disagrees with you doesn't make your point of view any more valid nor does it alter the ratio of people agreeing or disagreeing with you. It just makes you appear bigoted.

Hence the troll calls. You appear to have nothing else of substance to offer the argument yet you continue to attack alternate points of view. If you aren't doing it to further the discussion, then it is fair to assume you are doing it for your own gratification. That said, there are people guilty of the same sin on the opposing side. However, they post once or twice and then leave or go on to another point of the discussion.

If you're happy with the change - good. If you're not happy with the change but still want to play - good. If you're not happy with the changes and want to organise petitions / in-game protests because it might change eaware's mind (or just helps you deal with the proposed change) - good. At the end of the day, every player will make up their own mind regarding the APAC merge.

For me, I'll be leaving the game if things stay as they are. If I wanted to play on US servers, I would have rolled on one. For me, I find that the US latencies (300+ ms) make the game much harder to play. I find that if I chain a series of abilities in anything over 150+ ms, abilities don't activate at all, particularly instant cast abilities than can be used after a proc (eg. PPA railshot). Now, I don't know if this is purely a latency issue or some in-game bug that eaware hasn't gotten around to fixing BUT I do know that it is far more prevalent at higher latencies. I'm not an expert in computer game coding or computer hardware so I can't point to the exact problem with any degree of reliability or authority. However, I shouldn't need a Degree in Software Engineering to play an MMO either.

Edited by Yubided

What reality? The APAC servers are still working. The only thing that is certain is that we know eaware's intended course of action.

Some people are trying to change that course of action. You, Davey and a few others don't like this. Great - you've put your opinion up. It's been noted and a lot of people seem to disagree with you. Deal with it. Repeating the same lines and ad hominem attacks every time another person steps up and disagrees with you doesn't make your point of view any more valid nor does it alter the ratio of people agreeing or disagreeing with you. It just makes you appear bigoted.

Hence the troll calls. You appear to have nothing else of substance to offer the argument yet you continue to attack alternate points of view. If you aren't doing it to further the discussion, then it is fair to assume you are doing it for your own gratification. That said, there are people guilty of the same sin on the opposing side. However, they post once or twice and then leave or go on to another point of the discussion.

If you're happy with the change - good. If you're not happy with the change but still want to play - good. If you're not happy with the changes and want to organise petitions / in-game protests because it might change eaware's mind (or just helps you deal with the proposed change) - good. At the end of the day, every player will make up their own mind regarding the APAC merge.

For me, I'll be leaving the game if things stay as they are. If I wanted to play on US servers, I would have rolled on one. For me, I find that the US latencies (300+ ms) make the game much harder to play. I find that if I chain a series of abilities in anything over 150+ ms, abilities don't activate at all, particularly instant cast abilities than can be used after a proc (eg. PPA railshot). Now, I don't know if this is purely a latency issue or some in-game bug that eaware hasn't gotten around to fixing BUT I do know that it is far more prevalent at higher latencies. I'm not an expert in computer game coding or computer hardware so I can't point to the exact problem with any degree of reliability or authority. However, I shouldn't need a Degree in Software Engineering to play an MMO either.

you know if the servers actually had people to play with i woudnt be on the forums arguing with a bunch of strangers to help me deal with my boredom, And if you think we;re repetitive with our lines, have you seen the last 100 posts? i can guarantee that half of them are "/signed" pls, dont act like we keep repeating the same thing, you guys do it too!

With the increase latency (because of internet backbone problem) to APAC server since 5months ago, I never wanna go back to darnalla. The decision to open APAC servers in aussie itself should be questioned. Everyone knows that the internet hub in Asia Pacific is in Singapore, why did they choose AU to host APAC servers. Most asian countries dont have good connection to aussie, hence they went to US servers. I believe one of the problem of the low population because of lack of asian players playing in apac servers. Many aussies were so proud with their so called australian server, they said they dont need asian gamers here. Exactly one year after apac server opened, Bioware close the servers. Ironic!

I recieved a Customer Service reply from Bioware which apologises for this because they understand 'some people may not be happy.'

I admit I'm impressed with them to go as far as an apology with their track rate, but it really isn't enough. They were still dead-set convinced they were doing the right thing and weren't about to be persuaded. I don't think we'll have a choice, but they're blinding themselves to the amount of players they're losing.

Twenty four members of my guild I know have quit, and that's just my guild. Others have also, I'm well aware, and a far greater number. Not all of us cared about populations, around half of us did if not a bit more; but they choose to move all of us to servers when we didn't ask to be treated this way and get increased lag as a result.

(Before someone comes along and suggests that we won't get increased lag, Bioware actually acknowledges it in the email they sent me as fact and that latency will change for 'performance degration.' They think, 'With higher populations and a server type that suits each individual player, we hope that any performance degradation will be mitigated by an improvement in the overall play experience."

In other words, they don't really care.)

you know if the servers actually had people to play with i woudnt be on the forums arguing with a bunch of strangers to help me deal with my boredom, And if you think we;re repetitive with our lines, have you seen the last 100 posts? i can guarantee that half of them are "/signed" pls, dont act like we keep repeating the same thing, you guys do it too!

Well I did write that both sides were guilty of the same sin.

As I understand it "/signed" is nerdspeak for "I agree with you", which infers that it's not the same person posting "/signed" over and over and over so your counter point doesn't hold much water there Snivy and I'm pretty sure you know that.

Also, your point about spending time arguing with people out of boredom is in line with my point about self gratification. I see nothing of additional substance in your response. You've already established that you didn't like the low population environment in previous posts and that you're happy with the proposed solution (many times).

So... why bother with your response to my post? Do you really find the game that boring that you'd prefer to waste your time repeating yourself on these forums about a potential outcome that you find satisfactory? Does that mean you aren't happy with the game? Also, you have the option to be playing on the higher population US servers right now. You could be sating that thirst for PVP on a high population server right now... and yet you are wasting your time and energy here. Why?

Edited by Yubided

Haha thank you darthnish.

They do it even more so. It's seems as if you don't jump on the apac server merge you're seen as a "scumbag" or "troll"

If I'm correct the start of this thread was about apac population problems? I see the solution bioware has given us as a good thing and I have abuse hurled at me. I say I don't think a petition is the way to do things and people call me American or retarded. Don't even try to respond to defend yourself that's trolling as well apparently :(

Well I did write that both sides were guilty of the same sin.

As I understand it "/signed" is nerdspeak is another way of saying "I agree with you", which infers that it's not the same person posting "/signed" over and over and over so your counter point doesn't hold much water there Snivy and I'm pretty sure you know that.

Also, your point about spending time arguing with people out of boredom is in line with my point about self gratification. I see nothing of additional substance in your response. You've already established that you didn't like the low population environment in previous posts and that you're happy with the proposed solution (many times).

So... why bother with your response to my post? Do you really find the game that boring that you'd prefer to waste your time repeating yourself on these forums about a potential outcome that you find satisfactory? Does that mean you aren't happy with the game? Also, you have the option to be playing on the higher population US servers right now. You could be sating that thirst for PVP on a high population server right now... and yet you are wasting your time and energy here. Why?

Mate , i cbf re rolling i tried, got pissed cause i didnt have my legacy benefits to speed up the process and stopped, HOWEVER if you would be so kind as to lvl a scoundrel/merc/vangaurd/marauder and guardian and deck them out in WH gear on a US server for me, i will gladly stop posting on the forums and never feel the need to come here ever again.

Also as to why i post , for 2 reasons:

1) To point out Bioware did in fact fix the issue this thread was made for(i.e. Low APAC pops) not in the best way for some people but they did fix it.

2)Aussies claiming that they;re qutting cause of ping is crack up, mainly due to the fact that they play almost very other mmo with a ping handicap, im sure by now aussie gamers all have a 300ms faster reaction speed than the rest of the world.

I recieved a Customer Service reply from Bioware which apologises for this because they understand 'some people may not be happy.'

I admit I'm impressed with them to go as far as an apology with their track rate, but it really isn't enough. They were still dead-set convinced they were doing the right thing and weren't about to be persuaded. I don't think we'll have a choice, but they're blinding themselves to the amount of players they're losing.

Twenty four members of my guild I know have quit, and that's just my guild. Others have also, I'm well aware, and a far greater number. Not all of us cared about populations, around half of us did if not a bit more; but they choose to move all of us to servers when we didn't ask to be treated this way and get increased lag as a result.

(Before someone comes along and suggests that we won't get increased lag, Bioware actually acknowledges it in the email they sent me as fact and that latency will change for 'performance degration.' They think, 'With higher populations and a server type that suits each individual player, we hope that any performance degradation will be mitigated by an improvement in the overall play experience."

In other words, they don't really care.)

Hi, just wondering if you could take a screencap of the email and post it here ?

Haha thank you darthnish.

They do it even more so. It's seems as if you don't jump on the apac server merge you're seen as a "scumbag" or "troll"

If I'm correct the start of this thread was about apac population problems? I see the solution bioware has given us as a good thing and I have abuse hurled at me. I say I don't think a petition is the way to do things and people call me American or retarded. Don't even try to respond to defend yourself that's trolling as well apparently :(

If that's what you actually did that would be fine.

But you took it a step too far by saying deal with it and laughing at the majority that don't wont this course of action.

People tend to think of this as douchey behaviour and have called you out on it.

You make you own bed, you get to sleep in it.

If that's what you actually did that would be fine.

But you took it a step too far by saying deal with it and laughing at the majority that don't wont this course of action.

People tend to think of this as douchey behaviour and have called you out on it.

You make you own bed, you get to sleep in it.

I might have been obnoxious in a few posts and i apologize for that but know that in no way was i trying to "troll".

Also as to why i post , for 2 reasons:

1) To point out Bioware did in fact fix the issue this thread was made for(i.e. Low APAC pops) not in the best way for some people but they did fix it.

2)Aussies claiming that they;re qutting cause of ping is crack up, mainly due to the fact that they play almost very other mmo with a ping handicap, im sure by now aussie gamers all have a 300ms faster reaction speed than the rest of the world.

Regarding 1) A fix in your eyes but there's no arguing that they are going to do something.

Regarding 2) Why is this funny? I've already explained in some detail how a 300ms latency affects my ability to play the game. Are you saying that I'm lying?

Also, let's assume you have a twin over in America who plays the game as well as you do. Suddenly, that 1/4 second is no longer a handicap (it's not leveling the playing field), it's a disadvantage - you lose every time you go up against your twin. As such, your twin is regarded by the entire server as being better than you. Would you be happy with that outcome given your hunger for PvP (and I suspect, your hunger to win)?

You also appear to be making the assumption that lag affects SWTOR like it affects competing MMOs. In my experience this is not the case. In EVE, the very nature of how combat took place meant that you could fight effectively at much higher latencies. In WoW the game engine was far more robust and well developed - you could stack abilities and they would execute in the order selected in the event of a lag spike. In my experience, SWTOR doesn't do this. In SWTOR abilities that are stacked together during noticeable lag simply don't activate. Combine this with the plethora of bugs and glitches in WZs and it becomes far more difficult to fight effectively.

Your final point about Aussies adapting to the lag holds some truth. There are some very good Aussie PvPers out there - no doubt. My question is, how much more successful would they be (or have been) without the lag? Would we see more Aussie / Kiwi / SEA e-sports / pro-gaming teams? Would there be more people playing at a competitive level if they knew they weren't handicapped by latency?

Oh and please don't point to SWTOR's Australian servers as justification that lag isn't a factor in attracting / retaining competitive gamers. People have left SWTOR for dozens of reasons during it's short life. The game is flawed in many ways. It just so happens that the prospect of higher latency is the tipping point for another group of players unsubscribing and, unfortunately, your opinion / experience on playing with lag isn't going to dissuade them - especially when your response is to laugh at them and dismiss the point entirely.

Edited by Yubided

Quite ashamed of my APAC brethren for the personal insults and name calling of a Community Manager.

Eric doesn't make the decisions. He's the poor fella that has to deliver the news to everyone and cop the flak.

If you're upset, then don't shoot the messenger.

I love how you try to attribute my response to some sort of inability to address your original point. That's entirely impossible, because I haven't even read your original point. I'm simply responding to your repeated, persistent, and deliberately destructive antagonism. It speaks volumes that, given whatever options you have for occupying your time, this is your choice.

Yep and everyone has every right to decide on what they want best for themselves. (I think that's what we are talking about)

Nevertheless I'm still going to be sticking it out, I'm used to the US/EU servers since day one of the SWTOR Beta, Vornksr server before moving to the APAC servers. As for the character names and Legacy name, I wish we had more information to go by about that on what they do have in mind for it that situation. Upgrading the server to handle the change sounds good and bad but I will admit I will be annoyed if I had to restart my legacy from level 17 all over again since I got it 50 almost :S.

Some people are trying to change that course of action. You, Jack and a few others don't like this. Great - you've put your opinion up. It's been noted and a lot of people seem to disagree with you. Deal with it. Repeating the same lines and ad hominem attacks every time another person steps up and disagrees with you doesn't make your point of view any more valid nor does it alter the ratio of people agreeing or disagreeing with you. It just makes you appear bigoted.

Well said.