Missing Element in PVP

FallenGuardians

Hello all,

Is it just me or is this game missing a certain something to make PVP more fun as well as having a purpose? I think the main focus of the developers should be to improve PVP instead of tweaking character skills (so that they cycle through making classes stronger and weaker), and adding new flash points and what not. The major thing missing from the game which i think would keep people playing and subscribed is a added purpose to PVP.

Many years ago i played Lineage 2, a pvp oriented mmo, in this game the central purpose of PVP was to control a number of castles throughout the kingdom as well as the capitol castle. Guilds and Alliances would face off against each other, on scheduled siege dates (usually every weekend). When the dust settled and the victors emerged they ruled the given castle for the week. The sieges were awesome hundreds of people would participate and the winners were rewarded with added buffs available from NPCs within the castle walls as well as collect taxes from the shops that were associated with the towns that belonged to the castle. SWTOR needs a similar mass PVP system.

My idea is not to have the two factions fight for control of castles within one kingdom, but fight for command stations on a number of different planets. There would be a set time and date for the events to be held and would be held bi-weekly. The Republic and Imperials would have to coordinate which guilds they would send to each planet to fight for control of the command stations. I would suggest the event last all weekend starting Friday night and ending Sunday night. At the end of this period which ever faction controlled the most command posts would be declared victors. Some kind of reward system would be given to the faction before the next battle period starts.

Obviously there is a lot more to consider and i could go on and on about my ideas but this is just a proposal to those who might care to listen to the people to make this game truly better and increase the longevity of the game itself. SO, if anyone else agrees please post your comments and recommendations to help make this a better game for all of us!

A constructive post that deserves attention.

I made a similar comment elsewhere, though it wil have been buried in the middle of another thread.

The way to get open-world PvP - which lots of people claim they want - isn't to create a neglected sandpit that no-one will want to waste their time in (I'm looking at Outlaw's Den here, though it might be at other places). You need to have areas that contain something of value that players of the two factions will want to fight over.

An example I used was Wintergrasp in WoW. Fun battles (with vehicles!) took place on a schedule, the faction that won then had access to a particular instance (Vault of Archavon) so only they could run it and get the gear that dropped, unti the next battle. There were loads of high-level crafting nodes that spawened there too, so people would tend to hang around even when a battle wasn't imminent and you had to watch your back all the time you were there. You also earned tokens for PvP gear while fighting,and completing quests linked to the battle.

To get people fighting, get them contesting for something and rewards to fight for. A reason to fight. A schedule gives them a when, instead of just hanging out in the hope something happens. Maybe transport shuttles to take volunteers from fleet to wherever it is. Of course, there's the "number of players in combat at once" performance issue, but even if work on that hasn't progressed so far it's not an issue then work around it somehow.

The missing element in pvp is fun. I've gotten to the point that I don't really have fun anymore. I login to do the pvp daily on a subset of my toons and about 1/2 way through I just don't enjoy it anymore. Sometimes I don't even login. Your suggestion might make it more enjoyable. Personally, I would prefer some alternative battles.

o 3v3 with no premades

o 3v3 with premades only

o 2v2 with companions

I would also add that once you are in the game, you quit and you get some sort of penalty. I have not been keeping records but it seems that every battle I'm in someone quits. Last night 10 seconds before the wz was complete someone quit. I really don't know why someone would do that, then again I don't know what's up with people.

Hello all,

Is it just me or is this game missing a certain something to make PVP more fun as well as having a purpose? I think the main focus of the developers should be to improve PVP instead of tweaking character skills (so that they cycle through making classes stronger and weaker), and adding new flash points and what not. The major thing missing from the game which i think would keep people playing and subscribed is a added purpose to PVP.

Many years ago i played Lineage 2, a pvp oriented mmo, in this game the central purpose of PVP was to control a number of castles throughout the kingdom as well as the capitol castle. Guilds and Alliances would face off against each other, on scheduled siege dates (usually every weekend). When the dust settled and the victors emerged they ruled the given castle for the week. The sieges were awesome hundreds of people would participate and the winners were rewarded with added buffs available from NPCs within the castle walls as well as collect taxes from the shops that were associated with the towns that belonged to the castle. SWTOR needs a similar mass PVP system.

My idea is not to have the two factions fight for control of castles within one kingdom, but fight for command stations on a number of different planets. There would be a set time and date for the events to be held and would be held bi-weekly. The Republic and Imperials would have to coordinate which guilds they would send to each planet to fight for control of the command stations. I would suggest the event last all weekend starting Friday night and ending Sunday night. At the end of this period which ever faction controlled the most command posts would be declared victors. Some kind of reward system would be given to the faction before the next battle period starts.

Obviously there is a lot more to consider and i could go on and on about my ideas but this is just a proposal to those who might care to listen to the people to make this game truly better and increase the longevity of the game itself. SO, if anyone else agrees please post your comments and recommendations to help make this a better game for all of us!

Amazing idea. This would not only bring the Galactic conflict into the game but also give players a reason to go back to all the planets which are abandoned after level 50.

I would add that there should be smaller points around the planets that also can be captured at anytime with a smaller reward...That way people can do prep work to the larger event and still have an outlet for world PvP during the week. (Say you have to own all the Smaller command posts (can b e taken anytime) on your Factions side of the planet before you can take the larger Capture point that is a weekly conquest).

I support this 100% I think bringing PvP into the fold of the Actual Galactic War only makes sense, and It would give people an escape from the Hamster wheel Wz grind. Not to mention all the folks that are fully geared can now put that gear to use rather than grinding an offspec set or whatever...

i like your idea of smaller objective points, maybe these could even be speeder locations where you respawn when you die, so the large network of speeders your side owns the quicker you can get back to the battle?

Sure makes sense. Several posts leading from each capital city to A mid point in the planet where the large weekly objective is located. You capture each small point starting from your city working out to the Large objective...you have to capture one before you can go to the next and the reverse for the oppssing faction...Basically If they want to set you back they have to keep working their way deeper into your territory all the way to near your Capital city.

At this point you have to recapture all your Outpost/Speeder points to even have the Large weekly attackable when the time comes....If you want to slow your enimies progress for the event you start working your way into their territory on that planet and capturing their points so they must retake them to activate the weekly event.....Have each Planet activate on a different day....Man this would be awesome all heck would be breaking loose on whichever planet is close to its Weekly event....But no one planet would constantly have Level 50's running around interupting people trying to level.....This would bring life back into the Planets that are currently abandoned...would also get people off Fleet...and It would make it feel Like your actually in the Middle of a War breaking out instead of just Knowing its supposedly happening....

Edited by Soljin

The missing element in pvp is fun.

I came in to post this.

Where is the disconnect between game development and fun?

Gear grinds and walls do not encourage fun, but every MMO seems to have the notion to put more of this **** in.

Competition and parity is fun. player skill vs player skill is fun.

Having to grind out losses upon losses in bad gear and not being on par competitively is not fun, and I have a secret to tell you all- its not fun once you get all the gear and are stomping the players you used to be either.

competition is fun. lets have that.

I came in to post this.

Where is the disconnect between game development and fun?

Gear grinds and walls do not encourage fun, but every MMO seems to have the notion to put more of this **** in.

Competition and parity is fun. player skill vs player skill is fun.

Having to grind out losses upon losses in bad gear and not being on par competitively is not fun, and I have a secret to tell you all- its not fun once you get all the gear and are stomping the players you used to be either.

competition is fun. lets have that.

I agree with your sentiment...But lets keep this positive. This op's thread started a wicked cool idea and I would rather not see it degrade into a gear gap/Bad design discussiion. Please, and thanks.

I agree with your sentiment...But lets keep this positive. This op's thread started a wicked cool idea and I would rather not see it degrade into a gear gap/Bad design discussiion. Please, and thanks.

Fun is the bottom line.

make it fun and all the complaints about why its not fun go away.

The things people complain about are the reason its not fun, so that is the true discussion point.

Really good idea OP, and I fully agree. The only thing that comes to my mind as to why this would be an issue is the game engine -- it's simply not robust enough to support that many players in the same zone at once.

But then again, I want to have fun so bad I really wouldn't even mind having old Ilum back, even at 10fps. :)

Heck, pushing pubs into their base, then climbing on top of their base to nuke them from above is just fun. Pick off a bunch of people before they figure out where all the death fields and force storms are coming from. :)

Sure makes sense. Several posts leading from each capital city to A mid point in the planet where the large weekly objective is located. You capture each small point starting from your city working out to the Large objective...you have to capture one before you can go to the next and the reverse for the oppssing faction...Basically If they want to set you back they have to keep working their way deeper into your territory all the way to near your Capital city.

At this point you have to recapture all your Outpost/Speeder points to even have the Large weekly attackable when the time comes....If you want to slow your enimies progress for the event you start working your way into their territory on that planet and capturing their points so they must retake them to activate the weekly event.....Have each Planet activate on a different day....Man this would be awesome all heck would be breaking loose on whichever planet is close to its Weekly event....But no one planet would constantly have Level 50's running around interupting people trying to level.....This would bring life back into the Planets that are currently abandoned...would also get people off Fleet...and It would make it feel Like your actually in the Middle of a War breaking out instead of just Knowing its supposedly happening....

yes I like the sound of this weekend war :p with many objectives to control an area with speeder points at respawn controled areas to get back to the front line Ilum Had a similar concept. My idea is 10+ turrets/bunkers(bunker could be a communications line or speeder link ups with middle battle field which need defending for respsawn troop movements loseing a bunker in the line would slow down movements) surrounding a central Bunker Ion Cannon that shoots down the enemy Invasion Fleet after a set time with control of a minimum 50% of the turrets/bunkers plus the Ion Cannon for the win(Ion cannon cap should be a long cap). Respawn at the edge of the map closest to your teams turret that you control to be able to use the speeder, which means controling turrets close to the edge of map will be crucial for fast movement to the front line, not every bunker needs to be a speeder post but you need to control a line link to the Ion cannon. The turrets/bunkers should be a good distance from each other like Novare Coast with capping maybe a bit further. Only a suggestion for a battle map but large scale objective control maps are the best makes people work together as a team and it involves PvP.

I think it's a great idea... this game really needs a persistent warzone. Illum failed. I watched a Youtube clip of Gabe Ametangelo (sp?) saying they were working on redoing it.

The only problem that this bring up is faction imbalance.

Does anyone remember the 20-24 persistent battleground in DAoC, Thidranki? I would create toons and keep them at level 24, just so I could play it. That was a lot of fun. A persistent warzone with 3 teams. You can zone in and affect the balance/outcome of your team at any time; and earn valor based on your participation (kills / obj points.)

Perhaps they can create a cover story; about how imp/rep are training for an unknown threat together... idk.

*Edit - Ooooo, Just thought of this. They could tie it in with a joint Operation that has the same layout as the persistent warzone, so the story would be legit.

Edited by BlackSpin

i like that idea! like you said that could eliminate the class imbalance issue of pvp

Well, world pvp, in almost any MMO, tends to favor range, as it is "blob" warfare and any melee that dares go in to their range gets nuked since rangers don't have a "close range" penalty. Anyway, I still would love it and I would still jump my Juggy in to the blob just for the heck of it.