[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

DieGhostDie

I do & what confuses me is that I'm pretty sure I had an APM around 40 pre-3.0 (though IIRC I did tend to pop out of cover to proc the instant charged burst). I've got Trick Shot, Penetrating Rounds, Charged Burst, Aimed Shot & Vital Shot set up on the 2-6 keys, Sweeping Gunfire/FFB on 11/12 & I usually manually click on Smuggler's Luck, Burst Volley & Illegal mods. I do have a Razor Naga but I find the keys on the side a bit small (I do use it for Vital Shot & the AoEs).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one question, for the pvp side of the house. Why are we still augmenting for main stat? 3.0 threw out the in-spec boost to cunning we used to see from Gearhead. I also notice that I'm at 70% surge and 29% critical chance. So you'd think I'd get the biggest damage boost from augmenting for power, yes? I'm not trying to bash the guide I just want to know if there's something I've missed here...

Just one question, for the pvp side of the house. Why are we still augmenting for main stat? 3.0 threw out the in-spec boost to cunning we used to see from Gearhead. I also notice that I'm at 70% surge and 29% critical chance. So you'd think I'd get the biggest damage boost from augmenting for power, yes? I'm not trying to bash the guide I just want to know if there's something I've missed here...

At the moment, I plan on running Main Stat augments for my PvP Sniper. However, I'm still not entirely sure of PvP Min-Maxing. I'd say for now, go with whatever you think is BiS for you. If you find that Power works wonders in Ranked and everything else, feel free to share your data.

Would like to ask you guys about stats.

Right now im using 6items with accu+1augment and im thinking if I should use 1alacrity item. From parsing I dont see much difference, just some skills hits little harder but still its alot RNG dps spec.

So I would be glad if some1 who is using this setup :

6enhanc+1augment accu, 4 surge enhanc

6enhanc+1augment accu, 3 surge enhanc, 1 alacrity enhanc

could post their parses.

Btw does any1 have sometimes bugged energy regeneration in cover ? Cuz I sometimes got energy rate : 5 instead of 6 at 100% energy rating.

This has been a long time coming, but here's the video of the Sharpshooter Rotation. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWPBK_QJBo&feature=youtu.be

You'll notice that there's some slight adjustments in my rotation. The information will come soon™.

You are using Burst Volley on cooldown Like. even when PS is only a few seconds from being off cooldown. Is that required?

You are using Burst Volley on cooldown Like. even when PS is only a few seconds from being off cooldown. Is that required?

Correct. Like I mentioned in my guide, you can see that I had around 2-3 GCDs (about 3/4.5 seconds) left to play with before BV came off, so I used Charged Burstx2 and Trickshot to compensate the flow. Admittedly though, there are mistakes like my Marksmanship video, but hopefully you get the idea. :D

Would like to ask you guys about stats.

Right now im using 6items with accu+1augment and im thinking if I should use 1alacrity item. From parsing I dont see much difference, just some skills hits little harder but still its alot RNG dps spec.

So I would be glad if some1 who is using this setup :

6enhanc+1augment accu, 4 surge enhanc

6enhanc+1augment accu, 3 surge enhanc, 1 alacrity enhanc

could post their parses.

Btw does any1 have sometimes bugged energy regeneration in cover ? Cuz I sometimes got energy rate : 5 instead of 6 at 100% energy rating.

In my opinion, I think the 6 ACC Enhancements, 1 ACC Augment, 3 Surge Enhancements, and 1 Alacrity Enhancement is a good way to approach Marksmanship optimally.

Parsing every day and my numbers are decreasing ... I changed a little my gear (swapped coms 198 power mods for 192 tokens ) dunno if its cuz of it or if I'm doing something wrong.

Before I changed mods i made around 4.3k each parse, now im doing around 4.2.

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, I think the 6 ACC Enhancements, 1 ACC Augment, 3 Surge Enhancements, and 1 Alacrity Enhancement is a good way to approach Marksmanship optimally.

I'm so confused. There are 7 enhancement slots, but you are making suggestions for 10 enhancement slots.

Are there any others who've noticed Takedown being gimped?

My tooltip says 5.7-5k (this should be without crit) but I NEVER see it hit higher than 4.8k. My snipes are hitting harder when they don't crit. Ofcourse they have the 15%bonus dmg from stacks but nonetheless. Even with crits, takedown just ****s up my damage. I'm very well considering not using it anymore. I'm doing better without it.

• 2 weeks later...

My tooltip says 5.7-5k (this should be without crit) but I NEVER see it hit higher than 4.8k. My snipes are hitting harder when they don't crit. Ofcourse they have the 15%bonus dmg from stacks but nonetheless. Even with crits, takedown just ****s up my damage. I'm very well considering not using it anymore. I'm doing better without it.

nobody?

I haven't parsed in a long time outside of just checking things, but I did a couple ones to look at this and I have an idea of the problem you're talking about in general. If you never see Takedown higher than 4.8k, maybe it's a faction-specific thing (I don't have a sniper so I can't check), but I know that Quickdraw (the Gunslinger equivalent to Takedown) does crit for more for over 8k for me on the mainhand hit (should be more for Snipers since they don't have an off-hand hit). I'd advise you to just hit the dummy for a little while it's under 30% to see if you are getting crits for the appropriate damage.

Other than that, Quickdraw/Takedown isn't very good anymore since the energy cost is 12 now in Sharpshooter/Marksman, which is only 3 less than a properly used Charged Burst/Snipe, but it's still better than another Charged Burst/Snipe. Quickdraw/Takedown seems like it does about 8% more damage without crits than Charged Burst/Snipe based on the tooltips and damage in my logs, but Charged Burst/Snipe also had a 4% more chance to crit because of our discipline.

The most important thing to remember since you really want the Charged Burst/Snipe buff that increases its crit chance + damage up at all times so you just need to make sure it doesn't fall off as a result of using Quickdraw/Takedown. Other than that, you'd ideally want to use Quickdraw/Takedown in place of a Trickshot/Followthrough instead of your main skills if you can afford the energy.

Personally, I mostly just use Quickdraw/Takedown when I want to finish an add off if I don't think I have time to channel any of my other skills. It's still a DPS upgrade when used optimally, but it's tougher now to manage it and your energy while still maintaining the rest of your rotation correctly.

I haven't parsed in a long time outside of just checking things, but I did a couple ones to look at this and I have an idea of the problem you're talking about in general. If you never see Takedown higher than 4.8k, maybe it's a faction-specific thing (I don't have a sniper so I can't check), but I know that Quickdraw (the Gunslinger equivalent to Takedown) does crit for more for over 8k for me on the mainhand hit (should be more for Snipers since they don't have an off-hand hit). I'd advise you to just hit the dummy for a little while it's under 30% to see if you are getting crits for the appropriate damage.

Other than that, Quickdraw/Takedown isn't very good anymore since the energy cost is 12 now in Sharpshooter/Marksman, which is only 3 less than a properly used Charged Burst/Snipe, but it's still better than another Charged Burst/Snipe. Quickdraw/Takedown seems like it does about 8% more damage without crits than Charged Burst/Snipe based on the tooltips and damage in my logs, but Charged Burst/Snipe also had a 4% more chance to crit because of our discipline.

The most important thing to remember since you really want the Charged Burst/Snipe buff that increases its crit chance + damage up at all times so you just need to make sure it doesn't fall off as a result of using Quickdraw/Takedown. Other than that, you'd ideally want to use Quickdraw/Takedown in place of a Trickshot/Followthrough instead of your main skills if you can afford the energy.

Personally, I mostly just use Quickdraw/Takedown when I want to finish an add off if I don't think I have time to channel any of my other skills. It's still a DPS upgrade when used optimally, but it's tougher now to manage it and your energy while still maintaining the rest of your rotation correctly.

Hmm looking back at the post of mine you quoted I might've mistyped something.

When it crits, it's certainly worth it, crits go from 8-12k on Takedown. It's when it doesn't crit that it's utterly worthless to me. Or worthless because it hits for more than 1k short of what the tooltip says.

On bosses <30%hp I've now started using it instead of followthrough. It causes me no energy issues and I make sure to watch the buff followthrough gives to my snipes so I don't lose out on any stacks from it.

Takedown is surely worth it when it crits, but I don't like using an added skill that's only worth it if it crits.

Hmm looking back at the post of mine you quoted I might've mistyped something.

When it crits, it's certainly worth it, crits go from 8-12k on Takedown. It's when it doesn't crit that it's utterly worthless to me. Or worthless because it hits for more than 1k short of what the tooltip says.

On bosses <30%hp I've now started using it instead of followthrough. It causes me no energy issues and I make sure to watch the buff followthrough gives to my snipes so I don't lose out on any stacks from it.

Takedown is surely worth it when it crits, but I don't like using an added skill that's only worth it if it crits.

So haven't looked at this thread til now. Sorry about that. :p

Regarding the Takedown issue, I've already submitted a bug report. I believe this was already discussed back in the PTS, but I won't explain that any further...

I'm going to be really dumb on this one, because as far as I know, all other abilities (Snipe, Ambush, etc.) deal damage less than what the tooltip says as well. Therefore, I'm not sure if the damage on Takedown is working as intended or not.

Still, I do replace Takedown with Followthrough whenever applicable. Aeralos hit the nail in the head about its use, so I'd use it if you can really afford the energy.

Edited by DieGhostDie

I have to admit I'm confused by what you guys are saying about tooltips. The tooltip is just supposed to list the normal damage of a skill, but it doesn't take into account your opponent's armor. From what I recall, the operation dummy's armor value has about a 35% damage reduction from attacks that are affected by armor (aka non-Internal/Elemental damage) so your actual damage on almost every attack for Gunslingers/Snipers is going to be lower than listed by roughly that amount.

I have to admit I'm confused by what you guys are saying about tooltips. The tooltip is just supposed to list the normal damage of a skill, but it doesn't take into account your opponent's armor. From what I recall, the operation dummy's armor value has about a 35% damage reduction from attacks that are affected by armor (aka non-Internal/Elemental damage) so your actual damage on almost every attack for Gunslingers/Snipers is going to be lower than listed by roughly that amount.

Well that explains it. #RIP I'm gonna get coffee... :(

EDIT: What we're talking about is a concern of Takedown not doing damage as intended from the tooltip. Some (including I) Snipers/Gunslingers are speculating about this, but I think we're probably being stupid here. :/

Edited by DieGhostDie

Armor? You do mainly weapon damage so it is effected by armor the most, although the armor rating debuff is active they still have some damage reduct.

While I'm here posting other stuff , I might as well re-evaluate my opener. There will be some changes to the guide hopefully soon™, but for now, I'm going to post an opener of what I've been experimenting with so far (by the way, credits to ThomasCool aka Lunagazer for this).

Laze Target -> Orbital Strike -> Ambush -> Corrosive Dart -> PB -> Sniper Volley/Followthrough -> PB -> FT -> Snipe x2-> FT -> Ambush -> Snipe -> Corrosive Dart -> Followthrough.

There's a lot more information behind this logic at Dulfy.net, but I'll copy-pasta here:

http://gyazo.com/be06e4431ddc7ef631e48ffcc0fcd907 (Luna's original reply)

http://gyazo.com/d1c03c4a25f3f7fe997075fdb0fba070 (My reply)

http://gyazo.com/5eea54e0d2be70804dab6f3becfe5dc6 (My attempt (500k dummy))

WTB Thoughts and Criticisms cuz bored.

Edited by DieGhostDie

From looking at the parsely leaderboards, I have to wonder how the heck can I get 4.7k with Marksman too? I'm not parsing for hours or anything, but most I can eek out is 4.4k. parsely / stats (pictured is too much crit(359), but I did a parse afterward with 41 less and only saw a minimal DPS increase)

Do you notice anything off i'm doing or is it mainly a gear thing? I know that extra surge enhancement would be real good since I have like 40% crit overall, but I can't replace that until I get like 5 more things with accuracy in them. :( I guess it would make sense to be 300 DPS away from people who are close to 198 BiS with my best Virulence parse being 300 below the top, but I just wanna be sure.

Edited by OMGITSJAD

From looking at the parsely leaderboards, I have to wonder how the heck can I get 4.7k with Marksman too? I'm not parsing for hours or anything, but most I can eek out is 4.4k. parsely / stats (pictured is too much crit(359), but I did a parse afterward with 41 less and only saw a minimal DPS increase)

Do you notice anything off i'm doing or is it mainly a gear thing/I'm comparing to god parses? I know that extra surge enhancement would be real good since I have like 40% crit overall, but I can't replace that until I get like 5 more things with accuracy in them. :(

As always, it takes a lot of lucky crits to get a possible 4.7k parse in some 198s and 192s. However, I'll state that the current highest MM/SS parse has been made possible using the double proc bug. For those who don't know, the Resurrected Relic of FR is confirmed to be the only relic capable to double proc. The Revanite Relics, however, cannot do them, so fortunately they are working as intended. (Look under the "Effects" tab, and you'll see that the Primary Surge uptime is around 40-43%, when they are supposed to be around 27-30%).

I personally don't recommend doing this sort, but I can't stop anyone from doing what they will, so that's beyond me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would stay at around 300 Crit. You've made a good decision of taking out a Crit Crystal in favor of Power, so keep parsing that way. I would also try replacing a Main Stat Augment with an ACC Augment to see if anything improves. :)

Edited by DieGhostDie

I'm in full 192 BiS gear and I can do 4.4k (Missing 1 relic)

Its pretty much true though. 4.7k is possible with the 2x relic proc. And its all about getting as many extra snipes as you can. (As far as I can tell.) using Overload shot rather than rifle shot to gain some energy (if it crits) can also help. I'm mostly in awe at the crit percentages though on the parses that are that high. :p

heres my gear. http://imgur.com/GiYgEun

Edited by GethOvermind

I'm in full 192 BiS gear and I can do 4.4k (Missing 1 relic)

Its pretty much true though. 4.7k is possible with the 2x relic proc. And its all about getting as many extra snipes as you can. using Overload shot rather than rifle shot to gain some energy (if it crits) can also help. I'm mostly in awe at the crit percentages though on the parses that are that high. :p

Well it may be possible even without the 2x relic proc. There are some impressive parses that are in the 4.6k range, and as far as I know, still have the 192 mainhand. I speculate that with even higher crit percentages, it can be possible AKA the dream. :rak_03: