Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

I agree with the OP.

I would like to have spells in both bars at bottom to change depending if I am using a modifier or not.

I have small hands and I can't reach many keys, so to be able to put more actions in less real state would help me a lot in the game.

It won't make things easier and won't play for me just to cast a diferent spell if I am hitting shift or not.

That fuctionality - to hit one spell or the other when using key + shift - is already in game.

But with macros I would not have to bind so many keys and strech the hand so much so It will make everything more enjoyable.

So yes I support macros completely.

Thanks for your support. This is definitely a valid point. People with small hands may have difficulty finding binds for all of their keys, and they shouldn't be punished for that. Macros can assist. In addition, even with the current number of spells there are going to be issues getting everything bound considering the 4 actionbar limit. As new abilities are added, these problems will only be exacerbated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No really, a macro support thread in a pvp forum?

Has it really come to this?

:sadface:

Not sure if you're bemoaning the lack of macros in-game, or think this thread is somehow inappropriate for the forum - either way, thanks for the bump, and elaborate if you like!

Essentially what you want is this:

One button that does all the work for you.

Get some skill and you won't need macros. GG

What are you trying to prove? that you are more skilled because you don't use macros or don't like them?

I support macros 100% and it's not you or anyone else's business if a player chooses to use macros in game, are you paying there $15 a month? NO.

Macros are needed to help players like myself "micro manage" my skills without having to resort to clicking hindering my reaction time in PvP & PvE.

I feel Bioware should add /castsequence macros & /cast macros for skills that share a different (GCD) so they can be bound to other skills, example a JK's riposte, CC breaks, taunts, and such.

I see your problem.

You were looking for WoW2 and not SWTOR.

SWTOR certainly doesn't need macros, all it needs is individual skill and a good set of keybinds, maximum efficiency comes from your own skill.

Again, I'm not sure you actually read my entire post. The individual skill cap is actually raised SIGNIFICANTLY with the implementation of focus macro support, and I think many healers would agree that Mouseover macro support is not a matter of "skill", but a necessity to make healing large groups even feasible.

There have been many complaints with the clunkiness and difficulty of healing in general, whether in a PvP or PvE environment. We'll only see these complaints increase in volume when the majority of the population is at endgame and running Operations, and healers are having major difficulties healing their large groups.

This is a matter of satisfying gameplay and retaining players in the long run. Healers actually enjoying their role is important, and something the implementation of mouseover macros would help to facilitate.

Also again, I'll re-iterate - As far as combat mechanics go, this is fundamentally a Hotkey based MMO, as WoW is, and is going to bear many similarities inherently, which it does.

Another fact is that SWTOR is drawing many former WoW players, players who are used to using macros (particularly focus and mouseover) and their gameplay and overall enjoyment is hindered as a result of their absence.

That serves no one.

@Nij and Xer - thank you for your support.

Edited by _compton_

I see your problem.

SWTOR certainly doesn't need macros, all it needs is individual skill and a good set of keybinds, maximum efficiency comes from your own skill.

Why shouldnt the player who can manage 3+ targets at a time (using focus/mouseover macros) be rewarded for his "OWN SKILL"?

What are you trying to prove? that you are more skilled because you don't use macros or don't like them?

I support macros 100% and it's not you or anyone else's business if a player chooses to use macros in game, are you paying there $15 a month? NO.

Macros are needed to help players like myself "micro manage" my skills without having to resort to clicking hindering my reaction time in PvP & PvE.

I feel Bioware should add /castsequence macros & /cast macros for skills that share a different (GCD) so they can be bound to other skills, example a JK's riposte, CC breaks, taunts, and such.

Just because you pay for a game doesn't mean you get to dictate how the game should be.

Also fyi you don't need to click you should be using proper keybinds. I play Guardian class and I have everything keybound.

I'm not an elitist by any defininition but I have to say macros are for the unskilled, people that lack co-ordination and reaction so they need a system to do that for them.

Don't beg for a system to make you competitive by augmenting your skill.

Just because you pay for a game doesn't mean you get to dictate how the game should be.

Also fyi you don't need to click you should be using proper keybinds. I play Guardian class and I have everything keybound.

I'm not an elitist by any defininition but I have to say macros are for the unskilled, people that lack co-ordination and reaction so they need a system to do that for them.

Again, if you'd bothered to read my post or many of my subsequent replies, you would be aware that these arguments have been addressed.

Please explain how adding an additional target to maintain awareness of/manage is going to lower, and not raise, the complexity of the game.

I don't think anyone can argue that reducing clunkiness when it comes to healing is negative.

Again, if you'd bothered to read my post or many of my subsequent replies, you would be aware that these arguments have been addressed.

Please explain how adding an additional target to maintain awareness of/manage is going to lower, and not raise, the complexity of the game.

I don't think anyone can argue that reducing clunkiness when it comes to healing is negative.

This^

Edited by Xerks

I see your problem.

So... macros didnt exist before wow?

You prolly think you are 37331 because you know wow had macros :D

Macros have existed long before wow. Games like aion used the Surge system(where multiple skills could hide behind the same one essentially making macros less usefull) but most games do not have this :)

There have been many mmo's before wow that have used macros. Games alot more demanding and tedious than wow. Mostly if not only because wow is and was extremely casual.

You've made your position on macro support quite clear, but could you elaborate as to what makes someone who uses macros less skillful than someone who doesn't?

Not trying to troll, I just want a clear picture of both sides of this discussion.

I am confused.. how is it augmenting your skill?

If you are under the impression that pressing 2 buttons instead of 1 is augmenting your skill level in anyway... there is something wrong with your definition of the word augmenting. Also I dont see how it could raise anyones skill level.

Edited by CoreofexisteNz

And just because you pay doesn't mean that you or anyone else should dictate if someone chooses to use macros or not.

And yes you have something to prove by the reply you have left, who in the heck do you people think you are to tell people how to play there game? I could give a rats butt if you think macros are for the unskilled I have nothing to prove, I want better micro management to my skill so I don't have to hinder my game play, if you choose not to use macros because it makes you feel better about yourself then more power to you.

Edited by Nijraw

So... macros didnt exist before wow?

You prolly think you are 37331 because you know wow had macros :D

Macros have existed long before wow. Games like aion used the Surge system(where multiple skills could hide behind the same one essentially making macros less usefull) but most games do not have this :)

There have been many mmo's before wow that have used macros. Games alot more demanding and tedious than wow. Mostly if not only because wow is and was extremely casual.

Wth are you even talking about? he kept referencing WoW so I said WoW, you should read peoples posts.

Quoted wrong response sry.

No worries bro - edited my response as well.

@High - I've addressed your arguments in some previous posts if you want to go take a look.

I think that in many cases, people need some clarity as to what macros actually are (particularly the discrepancy between a macro and an addon) as well as how macros actually function.

I think, High, that if you develop a more complete understanding of the mechanics involved you'll realize that Macros, particularly focus macros, only add depth and complexity to the game as a whole.

Edited by _compton_

Wth are you even talking about? he kept referencing WoW so I said WoW, you should read peoples posts.

This is mostly because you used the words: wow2.

Thats not a reference. iIts an assumption.

Yes the OP made lots of comments about wow. But you somehow are under the impression that it macros make a huge difference. If you believe that beating someone who uses macros or beating someone that doesnt use them makes any difference. You are wrong.

Mouseover and focus macros are made for people who are too slow and never learned to target fast and accurately. That is mostly due to their inability to multitask and/or their horrible hand-eye coordination. Those two macros DO make the game easier, do not lie to yourself. That being said, due to the fact that a lot of people come from that other game I wouldn't mind too much if those two options were implemented, even though it would simplify an already simple system. In case they do not implement it I suggest working on your hand-eye coordination, multitasking, accurate and fast targeting, anticipating damage and prehealing.

And just because you pay doesn't mean that you or anyone else should dictate if someone chooses to use macros or not.

And yes you have something to prove by the reply you have left, who in the heck do you people think you are to tell people how to play there game? I could give a rats butt if you think macros are for the unskilled I have nothing to prove, I use want better micro management my skill so I don't have to hinder my game play, if you choose not to use macros because it makes you feel better about yourself then more power to you.

I don't need to dictate, there are no macros at the moment and that is perfect.

I don't need to tell you how to play either, you struggling without your macros against someone with a good set of keybinds doesn't effect me at all it just means more misery for you.

Like I said I'm not an elitist, I just rely on my own skill even if I lose.