I don't think fixed means what BioWare seems to think it means

onfireguy

I don't understand how BioWare could think something is fixed to the point where it is declared fixed in a Patch Note, yet it really isn't! How is this allowed to happen? Could somewhere from BioWare please explain what you mean when you use the word "fixed"? Thanks.

Just a few examples of where BioWare uses the word "fixed" in Patch Notes when the issues are NOT fixed. These are just off the top of my head

Stuck frozen upon respawn? Not fixed.

PVP Raid Frame showing all members? Not fixed.

Jawa Balloon randomly resetting? Not fixed.

I am sure others could add to this list.

The first thing that needs fixed is the BioWare dictionary definition of fixed cuz that thing is broke man.

• Dev Post
There are instances where multiple issues can contribute to the same symptom. Not every issue has multiple possible causes, but any time we continue to see a problem after a fix for a cause is in, we will keep investigating and issue more fixes as we're able. If you see an issue persist (especially after we've published a patch note that should address it), we encourage you to submit it to us via the In-Game Customer Service portal. Make sure you include as many details as you can - where you were when it happened, exactly what you experienced, etc. More details can help us reproduce the issue and hunt down any continuing causes. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback!

To be fair, I'm perfectly fine with "fixed" items not being actually fixed, (as the dev poster stated, frequently many problems cause the same result, when one of them is found & fixed, they probably think they squashed the bug)

What irritates me is when something that wasn't broken in the first place is declared as fixed, and only after the fix does it actually become broken.

I was super disappointed to see that "An issue that could cause the global cooldown to incorrectly occur when rapidly attempting to use multiple abilities has been corrected." was not actually fixed. Seems like a big problem to me, I mean it seems like 10% of the time I use attacks, I have to wait through a 1.5 second GCD while nothing is happening.

I don't understand how BioWare could think something is fixed to the point where it is declared fixed in a Patch Note, yet it really isn't! How is this allowed to happen? Could somewhere from BioWare please explain what you mean when you use the word "fixed"? Thanks.

Just a few examples of where BioWare uses the word "fixed" in Patch Notes when the issues are NOT fixed. These are just off the top of my head

Stuck frozen upon respawn? Not fixed.

PVP Raid Frame showing all members? Not fixed.

Jawa Balloon randomly resetting? Not fixed.

I am sure others could add to this list.

The first thing that needs fixed is the BioWare dictionary definition of fixed cuz that thing is broke man.

are you a software designer?

are you a software designer?

I am, and fixing code issues can be infuriating, especially when more than one programmer is working on a system. Earlier this week I traced a six line error report that was ostensibly on line 1020 of file A to a one line change made on line 126 by another programmer, in a file I wrote that the other programmer was using a function from. Somewhere in his code there was a small error that didn't register until a search function (which is where the error logs said the problem was), my code, and his code (where the error actually existed) all interacted together. It doesn't surprise me at all that in a code base the size of SWTOR there can be multiple problems that all look similar and aren't easy to track.

Unless you have some idea how hard it is to troubleshoot code, procedures, database logic, etc, you can complain all you want but your opinion isn't worth much.

Because if you DID have some idea how hard it is you wouldn't be complaining about it and instead a little more understanding.

Now if Bioware does something blatently "stupid", I can understand your frustration but for the most part they have been locking down bugs and fixing them.

im still having the 'sound' issue from like patch 1.2.....they said it was 'fixed' a long time ago....you know the issue where mid convo the sound goes away....randomely, and then for other parts of conversations with npcs its there....and then it decides to go awol again..

There are instances where multiple issues can contribute to the same symptom. Not every issue has multiple possible causes, but any time we continue to see a problem after a fix for a cause is in, we will keep investigating and issue more fixes as we're able. If you see an issue persist (especially after we've published a patch note that should address it), we encourage you to submit it to us via the In-Game Customer Service portal. Make sure you include as many details as you can - where you were when it happened, exactly what you experienced, etc. More details can help us reproduce the issue and hunt down any continuing causes. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback!

This translates to "We have no idea how to debug our code, nor do we have any idea how our code interfaces with each patch. We rely on our players to find bugs and can only recreate a bug after its pointed out by a player. Player feedback is paramount to our development".

What a joke....

This translates to "We have no idea how to debug our code, nor do we have any idea how our code interfaces with each patch. We rely on our players to find bugs and can only recreate a bug after its pointed out by a player. Player feedback is paramount to our development".

What a joke....

If you're not a software devoper (HTML and CSS don't count), then it's almost impossible to understand how complicated getting massive amounts of code to play nicely actually is. Given the size of their team, I suspect that they spend a pretty fair bit of time doing QA and debugging, but the simple and unfortunate truth is that no testing compares to releasing it into the wild. Not only does your group of people interacting with the code go up substantially, but it's hard to proactively search for problems in a system you've built for the same reason it's hard to proofread your own essays. You know how it's supposed to look and work. It's only when a (preferably large) group of people gets ahold of something and interacts with or reads it in ways you never intended that the weird bugs come to light.

• Dev Post

What a joke....

No, this is not what this means. Our team finds, reproduces, and fixes a large number of bugs (as a look at any of our patch notes, especially for our Game Updates, will reveal). We certainly do not rely exclusively on players to report bugs. As we develop features, we test, find, and fix bugs internally. However, bugs DO make it out. When they do, we work to fix them, and player reports can help us (which is why we encourage you to submit them if you encounter an issue), but they aren't the sole source of bug reports or the sole driver of fixes. There have been occasions, as mentioned above, where a fix doesn't cover all the causes of an issue, and in those cases, we continue work to fully fix the problems.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

What a joke....

You just got schooled son.... LMFAO! :D

Allison, thank you for the quick and thorough response! Much appreciated!

Unless you have some idea how hard it is to troubleshoot code, procedures, database logic, etc, you can complain all you want but your opinion isn't worth much.

Because if you DID have some idea how hard it is you wouldn't be complaining about it and instead a little more understanding.

Now if Bioware does something blatently "stupid", I can understand your frustration but for the most part they have been locking down bugs and fixing them.

You and other posters claiming to understand troubleshooting robust software may think that my opinion isn't worth much. Interestingly enough, BioWare must not agree with your opinion, since the first reply to my thread was from a BioWare employee.

As a customer, it is not my responsibility to be a software designer or anything else - I am paying to use their service, so my question is completely valid and reasonable, and I have the metric (Allison's near immediate response) to prove it.

Additionally, your logic is flawed. As an example: must a person be a certified mechanic before you take your automobile to get serviced? If your automobile is serviced but there is still a problem, isn't it COMPLETELY fair and reasonable to ask the mechanic what's up?

While Allison's response was spot on and directly answered my concern (thanks again Allison o/"\o), your and the other couple of responses are redundant at best. IMO too condescending to be considered constructive. Or do you feel BioWare failed to answer my question correctly and somehow needs your "expert" help?

While I still think the wording of some of the Patch Notes could be better, I am confident Allison already picked up on that, which is why I was thanked for my feedback.

• Dev Post
Everyone, please remember to be respectful, even if you disagree. We appreciate everyone's feedback and comments as long as they're constructive and add to conversations. Because there isn't much more to discuss here, I'm going to close the thread, but please do let us know when you see anything in the notes that appears to not be fixed! This helps us track things down. We're always working to improve the notes and appreciate your feedback! Edited by AllisonBerryman