Mask of Darth Nihilus

Sithcreep

I think that item from the Cartel Market is one good example of BWs lack of manifesting ideas in a creative way. BW really fails to understand what makes the SW universe so epic. Its that aura of legends and dark secrets. So why would you introduce an epic item like this mask and turn it into a boring moddable headgear anyone can wear? Why would you waste all the legendary components to it? The Mask of Darth Nihilus can be considered as one of the most epic Sith artifacts, giving the wearer its power at the cost of being slowly consumed by the inherent dark influence. The way BW introduced this mask is really boring and uninspired.

A creative way of introducing that mask would be to include the whole legends and dark secrets surrounding the mask. For instance giving the wearer a special ability something like "Call on the Void" which could for instance summon Darth Nihilus who would assist you in battle for a few seconds, dealing a lot of damage to your adversaries, at the cost of a tremendous amount of your HP.

Or let the mask increase your primary stat dramatically at the cost of constantly losing HP while wearing the mask.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Sithcreep

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldnt be something that is wearable by players imo. Like you said it should a really powerful sith artifact. But there ya go it is what it is unfortunately. I guess Revans robes is next or something like that. They already have Bastilas/Jolees/whoever eleses lightsaber for sale at vendors lol.

You do realize that the mask being sold by the cartel shop is a replica without the power inherit on the actual mask of Darth Nihilus. The cartel shop mask are purely replicas of Darth Nihilus, which is why they don't have any thing special other than they look like Darth Nihilus mask. Edited by Knockerz

No becuase with the amount of people getting it would kill the point of even having it.

They would have to either limit or cap the amount of them per server (which would piss people off) or make it a artifact item.

Just because it sa mask and who and what story is behind it doesnt mean it needs a super duper OMG story and spell tied to it.

We can say that then for other items in the game of why it doesnt have this or that.

I think that item from the Cartel Market is one good example of BWs lack of manifesting ideas in a creative way. BW really fails to understand what makes the SW universe so epic. Its that aura of legends and dark secrets. So why would you introduce an epic item like this mask and turn it into a boring moddable headgear anyone can wear? Why would you waste all the legendary components to it? The Mask of Darth Nihilus can be considered as one of the most epic Sith artifacts, giving the wearer its power at the cost of being slowly consumed by the inherent dark influence. The way BW introduced this mask is really boring and uninspired.

A creative way of introducing that mask would be to include the whole legends and dark secrets surrounding the mask. For instance giving the wearer a special ability something like "Call on the Void" which could for instance summon Darth Nihilus who would assist you in battle for a few seconds, dealing a lot of damage to your adversaries, at the cost of a tremendous amount of your HP.

Or let the mask increase your primary stat dramatically at the cost of constantly losing HP while wearing the mask.

What do you guys think?

If they didn't let anyone wear it, people would uproar. (It would not be 'fair'.)

If it did not have the potential to be better than that BiS item, people would uproar. (It would sit in the bank.)

If they introduced it with a story, people would uproar. (They have to 'work' to get it.)

If it had too many awesome abilities/hindrances, people would uproar. (It would be 'Pay to Win' at that point.)

You get the idea I hope. No mater what they do someone is going to be upset. It was implemented as cosmetic fluff, and honestly that is the main reason the majority want it. Yes, it seems a little odd with the 'how' in obtaining the mask. But what stops you from imagining or writing your own variation as to 'how'? Seems more fun than a default story that may or may not be 'out of character' for my character.

You do realize that the mask being sold by the cartel shop is a replica without the power inherit on the actual mask of Darth Nihilus. The cartel shop mask are purely replicas of Darth Nihilus, which is why they don't have any thing special other than they look like Darth Nihilus mask.

I approve of this explanation.

Edited by Norsalith

Why would any Sith wear replica of some mask? That makes no sense to me.

It makes perfect sense. From historical cultural examples, various peoples of our own world's history have often used copies of (or more commonly contemporary takes on) archaic objects to establish or reinforce a specific connection to the "glorious past" of a culture.

That said, I agree that being able to purchase these semi-unique items from a shop, random chance or not, is a lost opportunity. But of course, also a cheap solution for Bioware that takes the least amount of effort.

It would be much better for the game as a whole if such items where indeed the reward of an interesting chain of quests (like robbing a museum or plundering a long lost temple), and that the entire quest-chain would be a purchase from the store. That way these items actually help expanding the game with optional extra content, while still bringing in money (the quest chain would obviously mean the item would cost more in the store)

Exactly my point, lack of immersion and imagination. While some gun-wielder who has never experienced the power of the force might be exited about wearing such a replica mask, like "Wohoo I look like some ****** Sith now, check me out bro!" But why the heck would any Sith in their sane mind wear a completely useless hello-kitty-halloween-mask?

Exactly my point, lack of immersion and imagination. While some gun-wielder who has never experienced the power of the force might be exited about wearing such a replica mask, like "Wohoo I look like some ****** Sith now, check me out bro!" But why the heck would any Sith in their sane mind wear a completely useless hello-kitty-halloween-mask?

Read my post above you. It's quite logical for a Sith to use a copy of a mask of a powerful predecessor to invoke the same emotions (in the case of Nihilus terror & power) or to establish ties to a specific past.

[...]

That said, I agree that being able to purchase these semi-unique items from a shop, random chance or not, is a lost opportunity. But of course, also a cheap solution for Bioware that takes the least amount of effort.

It would be much better for the game as a whole if such items where indeed the reward of an interesting chain of quests (like robbing a museum or plundering a long lost temple), and that the entire quest-chain would be a purchase from the store. That way these items actually help expanding the game with optional extra content, while still bringing in money (the quest chain would obviously mean the item would cost more in the store)

I concur, the idea of being able to just purchase such an epic item at Walmart is ridiculous of course.

I concur, the idea of being able to just purchase such an epic item at Walmart is ridiculous of course.

Well this pretty much. Things like that should be either not i game at all or unique drops as 1 per server.

The cartel coins store should be stuff like the Hydra armour or some other cool looking armor and weapons that everyone wants.

Revans mask Nihilus mask and similar lore artifacts are going to be ridiculed since every schmuck with $5 will have them and they ultimately will stop buying it. So in the end it is even counter productive for Bioware to have them in the store.

But that is their decision of course. Bottom line the moment I see Darth Vaders helmet I am out of here :)

Quick question, how many cartel coins does the mask cost?

I've looked through the threads, but I've yet to see how much it is. Since thats one item that I do want

As far as it being rare...etc who cares really? Its just a game, let the people get what they want. I'm sure there is an item that you really want that is available to other players as well.

Siths are hardcore individuals who cares just about themselves. So again - why would some Sith want to wear copy of mask of some ancestor and pretend i don't know what? Maybe "hey, i'm huge fan of Darth Nihilus, who am i isn't important at all!".

That weirdo Revanite chick on Dromand Kaas that was obsessed with Revans maske would probally were a replica of Revans mask to show her loyalty to a long dead sith.

I am sure there are freaks out there that would wear a replica of Darth Nihilus mask because they are followers.

Siths are hardcore individuals who cares just about themselves. So again - why would some Sith want to wear copy of mask of some ancestor and pretend i don't know what? Maybe "hey, i'm huge fan of Darth Nihilus, who am i isn't important at all!".

If you wanna roleplay your character then don't make your sith buy it... it's called the Cartel Shop. Some underworld black market dealer is selling these things to make a quick credit... lore wise I can make it make sense and if your a hardcore RPer don't purchase and talk down to other Sith who do.

Quick question, how many cartel coins does the mask cost?

I've looked through the threads, but I've yet to see how much it is. Since thats one item that I do want

As far as it being rare...etc who cares really? Its just a game, let the people get what they want. I'm sure there is an item that you really want that is available to other players as well.

Its a rare or super from the cartel packs i think.

If you wanna roleplay your character then don't make your sith buy it... it's called the Cartel Shop. Some underworld black market dealer is selling these things to make a quick credit... lore wise I can make it make sense and if your a hardcore RPer don't purchase and talk down to other Sith who do.

I agree.

The lore started getting watered down when they caved on the dark side/light side color crystal thing very early on in this game. At the end of the day, it's a business. So if the masses want a Mask of Darth Nihilus and things like that available, then that's what they are going to go with.