EC : 16M-NiM (world ranking)

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for keeping track of the progression Nibbon. You should start your own thread next time, we'd love to take part in in.

I plan on it - this one just happened to catch on earlier. I'll be sure to start it as soon as the next operation is officially announced. I also plan on taking feedback from all the top guilds to try to reach a consensus on the one or two best ways to actually track progression for the next tier. As we learned from this time around, the two ways we had didn't make everyone happy - so I am happy to hear feedback on ways to improve them (perhaps something closer to the old website http://www.swtor.raidranks.com/#! whereby the first guild to kill got 1000 points and then every hour or so away from the kill the guilds after that get X fewer points ...). Anyway, that is for a future discussion, but something I am willing to assist in setting up.

OK so I decided to play around with that system I mentioned earlier to see what would happen. These were the results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgCWcFAbOaZwdEg0SG54S2FzZENsaHZDZ0tPVk9pNUE&usp=sharing

(NOTE: THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL AT ALL, I AM DOING THIS PRIMARILY AS AN EXAMPLE OF A FUTURE SYSTEM THAT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED)

This system takes the time of the first kill and gives that team 5000 points. 1 point is then subtracted every hour (and a fraction thereof inbetween those hours) to calculate a score for the subsequent kills. For example:

If team A kills at 5pm GMT on 2/2/13 and Team B kills at 5pm GMT on 2/3/13 then team A gets 5000 points and team B gets 4976 points.

Therefore ... the scores take into account how much longer it took for you to get the kill from the time the first group got the kill. So, technically, the order in which it was killed does not matter at all, really, but rather how quickly you managed to get the kill.

Let me know your thoughts - and please - try to be civil about it.

Edited by Nibbon

Thanks, Nibbon, definitely an interesting approach. I do like how this approach does not penalize people for being #10 on the first boss, and allows for #2 and #3 to effectively come out equal if they kill within a few minutes. I would say that the lack of emphasis on later bosses is the only downside of this strategy. I'm not saying that the last boss should be twice as important as the first, but maybe 30-50% more important.

Keep making the effort towards these things; both your tracking system and your handling of your W1st Dreadtooth stuff has made this game much more enjoyable for us other guilds. Thanks!

Thanks, Nibbon, definitely an interesting approach. I do like how this approach does not penalize people for being #10 on the first boss, and allows for #2 and #3 to effectively come out equal if they kill within a few minutes. I would say that the lack of emphasis on later bosses is the only downside of this strategy. I'm not saying that the last boss should be twice as important as the first, but maybe 30-50% more important.

Keep making the effort towards these things; both your tracking system and your handling of your W1st Dreadtooth stuff has made this game much more enjoyable for us other guilds. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah I thought about scaling a bit as well, definitely a possibility. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would absolutely love to get some of the guild heads together in a skype/google hangout/mumble/ventrillo, something along those lines, and come to an agreement of the one best system to use going forward. Thus, I wanted to get this out as an example of another system.

Chosen is invited, of course :)

OK so I decided to play around with that system I mentioned earlier to see what would happen. These were the results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgCWcFAbOaZwdEg0SG54S2FzZENsaHZDZ0tPVk9pNUE&usp=sharing

(NOTE: THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL AT ALL, I AM DOING THIS PRIMARILY AS AN EXAMPLE OF A FUTURE SYSTEM THAT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED)

This system takes the time of the first kill and gives that team 5000 points. 1 point is then subtracted every hour (and a fraction thereof inbetween those hours) to calculate a score for the subsequent kills. For example:

If team A kills at 5pm GMT on 2/2/13 and Team B kills at 5pm GMT on 2/3/13 then team A gets 5000 points and team B gets 4976 points.

Therefore ... the scores take into account how much longer it took for you to get the kill from the time the first group got the kill. So, technically, the order in which it was killed does not matter at all, really, but rather how quickly you managed to get the kill.

Let me know your thoughts - and please - try to be civil about it.

I like the system, however I have one problem.

"So, technically, the order in which it was killed does not matter at all, really, but rather how quickly you managed to get the kill."

There MUST be a provision for having killed the previous boss before you can get points on the next one. Otherwise, one can skip to an easy boss and seal the 5000 points while other groups are struggling with the first.

I like the system, however I have one problem.

"So, technically, the order in which it was killed does not matter at all, really, but rather how quickly you managed to get the kill."

There MUST be a provision for having killed the previous boss before you can get points on the next one. Otherwise, one can skip to an easy boss and seal the 5000 points while other groups are struggling with the first.

I actually updated yesterday to include all 3 systems so it can be seen side to side - also I aggregated the three (note this could be the actual system too - it is very easy for me to update the spreadsheet after it is coded).

I agree, you must kill in order - that is something that just must be entered manually (visually, it is extremely easy to see if someone went out of order).

thanks for your feedback, I will keep iterating based on feedback and show more systems as examples if needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...