These forums are so dead

Tenacity

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I partially blame that one young, always positive, highly enthusiastic lady who commented on each and everything with utmost positivity for several months. It almost drove me crazy and I think she pushed away a lot of the usual critics, because her friendliness and commitment to this game, no matter what, was unbearable. ;) She has been very quiet lately. Is she even still around? (I forgot her name, sorry.)

No, wait. What killed this forum was all those love interest threads which commanded haters to stay out. They took it literally and... stayed out. ;)

If you want some action, you can always go to Dulfy's. There, you still get the scum and villainy you are missing here. :p

"Haters get your own" is one of the biggest memes in the history of memes.

Edited by PennyAnn

I partially blame that one young, always positive, highly enthusiastic lady who commented on each and everything with utmost positivity for several months. It almost drove me crazy and I think she pushed away a lot of the usual critics, because her friendliness and commitment to this game, no matter what, was unbearable. ;) She has been very quiet lately. Is she even still around? (I forgot her name, sorry.)

No, wait. What killed this forum was all those love interest threads which commanded haters to stay out. They took it literally and... stayed out. ;)

If you want some action, you can always go to Dulfy's. There, you still get the scum and villainy you are missing here. :p

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I hope she drowned in saccharine. :eek:

The love threads united the people and gave them a place to share their love. (*said like Han Solo* It's not my fault!)

The original love thread spawned others, again uniting those of a like mind and like love. Do you really think most of the members were haters? :(

I thought for scum and villainy I'd have to go to reddit. ;)

Edited by Lunafox

I thought I had sent the PMs to you about those, I'll try again, and yes, Star Forge.

Nope, but I just got the one you sent now, so I'll log in and send your Imp toon some goodies...seeing as I have them on Imp side where I play the most. :)

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I hope she drowned in saccharine. :eek:

The love threads united the people and gave them a place to share their love. (*said like Han Solo* It's not my fault!)

The original love thread spawned others, again uniting those of a like mind and like love. Do you really think most of the members were haters? :(

I thought for scum and villainy I'd have to go to reddit. ;)

I've been stalking these love threads because I couldn't believe anyone could talk about Malavi's bum-hair for 100 pages... and they turned out to have mostly off-topic "i did this today with my life" "haha you go girl" "look i made new husbando toon!" "Aaw cute!" "hey my companion got stuck in the decoration haha" "look at my dancer outfits for my bois" "I wrote sexy fic" and other such posts. Seriously you should just form a like page on facebook for this stuff, for a while there I actually thought you had a 800 page speculation about the complexity of Malavi's betrayal... turns out it was just girls chat room for erp luls where you need an authentic lover-badge to join the inside jokes club :D (should't these threads be in offtopic or RP anyway?)

I like these characters but hell I don't even know what to say in these threads when the conversation is not really about the topic anyway, lol

Edited by Kiesu

I've been stalking these love threads because I couldn't believe anyone could talk about Malavi's bum-hair for 100 pages... and they turned out to have mostly off-topic "i did this today with my life" "haha you go girl" "look i made new husbando toon!" "Aaw cute!" "hey my companion got stuck in the decoration haha" "look at my dancer outfits for my bois" "I wrote sexy fic" and other such posts. Seriously you should just form a like page on facebook for this stuff, for a while there I actually thought you had a 800 page speculation about the complexity of Malavi's betrayal... turns out it was just girls chat room for erp luls where you need an authentic lover-badge to join the inside jokes club :D (should't these threads be in offtopic or RP anyway?)

I like these characters but hell I don't even know what to say in these threads when the conversation is not really about the topic anyway, lol

There is a lot of encouraging and sharing going on there, but, there was also a lot of meaningful dialogue too, where one of our members contacted the SW story's writer and we asked him various questions about Quinn and his relationship with the romanced SW. We also did have quite a bit of discussion about his character, betrayal and romance, earlier on. We also share art pertinent to Quinn and SW as well. And it's not just girls we have at least two male members. The thread meets the forum guidelines and honestly, it's nice to have a few love threads to break up all the bit**in' no?

Edited by Lunafox

There is a lot of encouraging and sharing going on there, but, there was also a lot of meaningful dialogue too, where one of our members contacted the SW story's writer and we asked him various questions about Quinn and his relationship with the romanced SW. We also did have quite a bit of discussion about his character, betrayal and romance, earlier on. We also share art pertinent to Quinn and SW as well. And it's not just girls we have at least two male members. The thread meets the forum guidelines and honestly, it's nice to have a few love threads to break up all the bit**in' no?

Well that's exactly why I like my threads sorted to where they belong. If I wanna rant about pvp I'll go to pvp section, if I want to discuss characters and lore I'll go to lore section, if I wanna see community content I'll go to community content section... Having one thread be everything at once is making it incredibly hard to navigate to anyone who isn't reading/replying to it constantly. I have no idea what any of the color coded quinns are, I'm not really interested in sharing player-quinns, I don't have time to read everyone's fics... I'd love to read the lore conversation, but if I need to find it from 800 page thread yeah no never mind then <__<

Here is an interesting site, that estimates in-game activity based on reddit activity.

https://mmo-population.com/r/swtor/

Clearly off, and I certainly don't think that there are 150,000 swtor users daily, but it is interesting nonetheless (it ranks SWTOR as number 11, behind a bunch of things including GW2, which is ranked 3).

Why would you post something if you don't even believe it? Who at that website has an axe to grind and is fudging the numbers?

Why would you post something if you don't even believe it? Who at that website has an axe to grind and is fudging the numbers?

Oh, I believe the numbers are "pretty low" but I wouldn't presume to even try to guess the number of daily players or even the active player base.

I think we all know what is happening here. But, just enjoy it as long as you enjoy it. That's my plan, anyway!

Oh, I believe the numbers are "pretty low" but I wouldn't presume to even try to guess the number of daily players or even the active player base.

I think we all know what is happening here. But, just enjoy it as long as you enjoy it. That's my plan, anyway!

Same here. Unfortunately I can understand how people despair when their ONLY in-game activities require the availability and grace of faceless strangers, especially when I want to just hit Conquest quickly and not slog through the slow solo stuff. But I love vanilla so much and re-rolling toons that I don't need others to keep enjoying the game. I'm even taking more alts through KOTFE/ET and finding new ways to make it more interesting (it's tough, just requires creative head-canon)

There are other forums and media channels for this on the internet, like reddit. And good riddance.

I'd be OK with given non subs a subforum just for them (this is what other MMOs typically do) as long as they keep things on topic or get moderated into oblivion ....

......but ABSOLUTELY NOT access to the entire forum. It would be nothing but axe-grinders, trolls, and subversive personalitys who want to interfere with game play and discussion any way they can. The forum would quickly become pretty much what it was in the early months after launch ---> 95% garbage rhetoric and perhaps at most 5% productive discussion.

That's complete BS and you know it. Dont let an elitist attitude cloud rational thought.

The ESO forums are a good source to draw from. They're lively, active, everyone can post, there's very rarely any need for moderation (only a few trolls that pop up every now and then, and are quickly dealt with by either the community or the moderators).

The ESO sub model is better, too: there's almost no limitations for Free to play, but subscribers get a few conveniences that make life much better, like unlimited space to store crafting materials. ESO also gives its subscribers 15$ worth of store currency (crowns) each month for their 15$/month fee, while SWTOR is only giving us 5$ worth and taking the other 10 for their pocket.

Another point of failure with SWTOR is that cartel market items can be sold on the ingame trade network/gtn. That has singlehandedly ruined the entire game economy here, and now you've got items worth 90 million credits and little to no access to affordable alternatives. ESO doesnt allow their crown store purchases to be sold to other players, and nothing sold on the crown store offers a gameplay advantage (unlike swtor's cartel market, which is most definitely pay to win).

The simple fact that bioware has to continually remove and restrict more and more features from f2p players to force them into subscribing shows exactly how flawed their system is. Part of the reason I dont play this game very often anymore (taking YEARS off at a time) is because it's too much of a hassle to come back on a non-subcription basis. When everything in the game is designed to force you to subscribe, it makes it very offputting for people who just want to hop back into things and see what's changed and if the game is worth playing again (lo and behold, it really isnt, there's hardly any new content even since the last time I played years ago).

If bioware/EA got rid of the f2p restrictions, removed the ability to sell cartel market items, cut back significantly on cartel market development (you know 90% of their work is going into new items to steal money from you, not towards new expansions or content), and made significant updates buy-to-play, we'd be much better off here and I think that the game population would see a significant rise.

EA has already cut support for this game. It might as well be on maintenance mode - the only new content we're getting is cartel store junk to try and milk more players of their hard earned dollars. Rather than building for a long product life, they've geared this entire game towards making a quick buck to put towards other projects. As someone who was a huge supporter of this game back at launch, I'm absolutely disgusted to see what's become of it.

Sounds like Eshvara.

Another point of failure with SWTOR is that cartel market items can be sold on the ingame trade network/gtn. That has singlehandedly ruined the entire game economy here, and now you've got items worth 90 million credits and little to no access to affordable alternatives. ESO doesnt allow their crown store purchases to be sold to other players, and nothing sold on the crown store offers a gameplay advantage (unlike swtor's cartel market, which is most definitely pay to win).

I might just be ignorant of a possible "black cartel market" but what in the market is pay-to-win? Every single item in the market is cosmetic, except maybe some boosts, but those drop like rain in the game and you in no way "need" them

That's complete BS and you know it. Dont let an elitist attitude cloud rational thought.

The ESO forums are a good source to draw from. They're lively, active, everyone can post, there's very rarely any need for moderation (only a few trolls that pop up every now and then, and are quickly dealt with by either the community or the moderators).

The ESO sub model is better, too: there's almost no limitations for Free to play, but subscribers get a few conveniences that make life much better, like unlimited space to store crafting materials. ESO also gives its subscribers 15$ worth of store currency (crowns) each month for their 15$/month fee, while SWTOR is only giving us 5$ worth and taking the other 10 for their pocket.

The simple fact that bioware has to continually remove and restrict more and more features from f2p players to force them into subscribing shows exactly how flawed their system is. Part of the reason I dont play this game very often anymore (taking YEARS off at a time) is because it's too much of a hassle to come back on a non-subcription basis. When everything in the game is designed to force you to subscribe, it makes it very offputting for people who just want to hop back into things and see what's changed and if the game is worth playing again (lo and behold, it really isnt, there's hardly any new content even since the last time I played years ago).

If bioware/EA got rid of the f2p restrictions, removed the ability to sell cartel market items, cut back significantly on cartel market development (you know 90% of their work is going into new items to steal money from you, not towards new expansions or content), and made significant updates buy-to-play, we'd be much better off here and I think that the game population would see a significant rise.

EA has already cut support for this game. It might as well be on maintenance mode - the only new content we're getting is cartel store junk to try and milk more players of their hard earned dollars. Rather than building for a long product life, they've geared this entire game towards making a quick buck to put towards other projects. As someone who was a huge supporter of this game back at launch, I'm absolutely disgusted to see what's become of it.

I find it hard to empathize with the plight of the F2P players.

I also have no problem paying for a game especially if I enjoy it, and it's hardly a difficult task to pay for a month's time on a game if I want to hop back into it and give it a spin after a lengthy time away.

I also find it interesting F2P players seem almost always critical of this game, proving that basically the majority of them probably won't stick around very long anyway when they find they can't enjoy it for free.

I won't criticize games that have a strong F2P model, but at the same time I won't criticize games that have an unfriendly F2P model.

Both can work, and if you require that a game have a strong F2P model then by all means play one with it, however expecting all games to cater a F2P model just because some do is unrealistic.

And personally I think it's being cheap. But w/e.

Also as the guy above mentioned, there's nothing on the CM you can buy that gives you any advantage over someone that never buys anything from the CM. SWTOR has a ton of flaws, but it's not a pay-to-win game in any way.

Edited by Lhancelot

Well that's exactly why I like my threads sorted to where they belong. If I wanna rant about pvp I'll go to pvp section, if I want to discuss characters and lore I'll go to lore section, if I wanna see community content I'll go to community content section... Having one thread be everything at once is making it incredibly hard to navigate to anyone who isn't reading/replying to it constantly. I have no idea what any of the color coded quinns are, I'm not really interested in sharing player-quinns, I don't have time to read everyone's fics... I'd love to read the lore conversation, but if I need to find it from 800 page thread yeah no never mind then <__<

Maybe if I feel more energetic later, I'll search it and post you the page numbers lol. :cool:

HAHAHA that's only because the forum goose steppers delete any and all criticism. Negative feedback doesn't stay long enough for anyone to see it. They'd rather delete and ban paying customers than have their faults exposed to the public. Those forums are a joke. At least here we have the freedom to be honest about how we feel.

but I think in this case it's also due to the fact that only subscribers are able to create or reply to posts.

Personally I dont feel that's healthy for the game. There's a lot of non-subscribers still playing, and those players are unable to discuss the game here. They cant ask questions, they cant answer questions, they cant discuss updates or make suggestions. It's not a good idea to cut out a huge portion of your dwindling player base from one of the main communication outlets available to them.

I still dont get why its still a thing for bioware to keep f2p & preferred players of the forums. It serves no good purpose, and as you stated, makes the game look much more silent than it is.

Their move to make f2p only talk in channel /1 after level 25 is even worse. Now new players will leave even faster since they cant even chat in /the g channel if they get an invite.

No one knows e.g that I've been playing this for *years* as f2p, then later preferred and now for a short while (90 days) as a sub again. Last time was last year, also in the middle.

I did not leave because back then I could chat in /g channel and get / ask help in that way