Producer Letter – Galactic Strongholds

EricMusco

I am very much in support of pushing the date back to get a lot more features. At work, we push dates back all the time when a product simply isn't 100% what we wanted.

Eric,

Can we get some input on buffs or bonuses strongholds will provide? Is it simply a sandboxy feature for fun (which is fine) or does it also provide some bonuses, etc? I am sorry if you covered this before. I think there was a post before that mentioned something about bonuses but I don't recall.

Either way, it is something I will definitely be enjoying.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would we have to buy it?

"thanks for saving countless planets... here's the bill"? loll if the Republic or Empire can't assign us a guild ship and crew without cost they can save thier own frakking universe :D

Don't let logic get in the way of the game.

They said during the Boston event that decorations for guild ships might fall into the 2-15 million credit range. We've known for a while that personal strongholds will have a credit cost (as one option for acquisition).

It stands to reason there will be a cost of acquisition for the guild flagships, too.

You will be able to have more than one Stronghold, yup! The rest of your questions unfortunately will need to be answered at a later date ;)

-eric

Awesome about more than stronghold, and I figured about the others, can't wait though haha!

Thanks Eric

Aren't homesteads different for factions though? Even though it's legacy I'm concerned about placing items like mounts and it being in different locations because of the difference in faction layout.

Basically, are there specific placement options for the faction specific locations?

• Dev Post
Aren't homesteads different for factions though? Even though it's legacy I'm concerned about placing items like mounts and it being in different locations because of the difference in faction layout.

Basically, are there specific placement options for the faction specific locations?

Certainly the idea that there is a Stronghold on Dromund Kaas and one on Coruscant adds in some extra complication. We are still working through the details but we will talk a bit more about how the separate faction stuff will work across Legacy further down the line.

-eric

Will we be able to place our companions in a cage, or a torture chamber? I would totally place Quinn or Skadge in a prison cell, or in a box with a gundark.

Why would we have to buy it?

"thanks for saving countless planets... here's the bill"? loll if the Republic or Empire can't assign us a guild ship and crew without cost they can save thier own frakking universe :D

Why do we have to pay for guild bank slots, or stronghold locations, or armor, or speeders, or... well, anything in this game? It's an optional bonus for guild who can afford it. You're buying a capital ship FFS, that's not cheap.

So if my subscription doesn't expire until after May 11th, will I get the rewards that include the Palace Stronghold with 5 extra rooms (my sub runs out on May 23)?

Also, will active subscribers during May and July get two Palace Strongholds (one with 5 extra rooms, one with 3), or will we only have one?

I figured that each character gets his own version of your legacy's stronghold. It wouldn't make too much sense to have Mako in my Jedi Knight's stronghold, or Quinn in my Sorcerer's.

So if my subscription doesn't expire until after May 11th, will I get the rewards that include the Palace Stronghold with 5 extra rooms (my sub runs out on May 23)?

Also, will active subscribers during May and July get two Palace Strongholds (one with 5 extra rooms, one with 3), or will we only have one?

We only get one

• Dev Post
Grrr! Just tell us...you'll either please us all tremendously, or we'll all be able to moderate our expectations. Why can't you tell us NOW? It's a very simple answer...it's a very basic question Eric. Pegs? Item slots? Freedom? If so, how much? X, Y and Z axis?

Hey TUX,

I do entirely understand the sentiment behind the question. Unfortunately the answer is surprisingly not simple. Placing of decorations may work a bit differently than some might expect and as such we would like to show you. To your own point, we have to manage expectations and I would hate to have me explain it since that won't really do it justice. You need to see it :)

More information on that coming soon™!

-eric

First off, amazing, thank you for the information.

That said, one thing

My Sith characters would live, decorate and focus on architecture and designs completely different from my Agent and my Bounty Hunter. I know you said that the Strongholds are Legacy based, and I'm assuming that means that there's one Stronghold on each planet per account, as opposed to having Strongholds for each character.

I'm a bit saddened by this as this means I'll have to pick ONE character to focus on when it comes to Strongholds.

Would it be at all possible to add in an OPTION to allow us to buy more Strongholds per account? I want my characters to have their own homes, not share one.

Certainly the idea that there is a Stronghold on Dromund Kaas and one on Coruscant adds in some extra complication. We are still working through the details but we will talk a bit more about how the separate faction stuff will work across Legacy further down the line.

-eric

Also note the timeline differences for factions e.g. Taris and Balmorra , different views out of said windows.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I figured that each character gets his own version of your legacy's stronghold. It wouldn't make too much sense to have Mako in my Jedi Knight's stronghold, or Quinn in my Sorcerer's.

I hope not I wanna throw my whole legacy in one building (companions included) for a massive orgy! ;)

• Dev Post

I know it has been asked so I just want to confirm, Nightmare Dread Palace will still be coming in Game Update 2.8. Again, we will talk about what else is coming in Bruce's Roadmap. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about that!

-eric

Hey TUX,

I do entirely understand the sentiment behind the question. Unfortunately the answer is surprisingly not simple. Placing of decorations may work a bit differently than some might expect and as such we would like to show you. To your own point, we have to manage expectations and I would hate to have me explain it since that won't really do it justice. You need to see it :)

More information on that coming soon™!

-eric

The things which from a consumer perspective appear simple, fluid, and obvious, are anything but behind the scenes. It ain't easy looking easy ;)

Good on you to not answer a question via text that is entirely visual in nature anyway.

Some questions!

- Will we be able to decorate with friends, i.e. put a friend on "admin" of our stronghold and allow them to help us decorate?

- Will large groups of players be able to visit our strongholds so we can have player-run events in them?

- Will guild ships have a permissions system so multiple people in the guild can decorate?

- Can we own two strongholds of the same type, like two Dromund Kaas strongholds, or can we only own one of each?

Eric,

Can we have multiple copies of the same stronghold?

Will stronghold ownership be like rift, where one character owns it but is accessible by the entire legacy, or is ownership by the legacy itself

Will we be able to custom name our stronghold?

Can we set access to public so anyone can drop in and look at our work?

Will strongholds be in a public listing that people can rate and vote on? The best part about rift dimensions is that there was no limit on who could visit, and we could share our creations with the community

Will strongholds only be in doors or will there be strongholds if different sizes, indoors and outdoors like Lord Grathans estate?

Will there be props in place to make our own structures? Like walls and floors?

Can we resize props?

Some questions!

- Will we be able to decorate with friends, i.e. put a friend on "admin" of our stronghold and allow them to help us decorate?

- Will large groups of players be able to visit our strongholds so we can have player-run events in them?

- Will guild ships have a permissions system so multiple people in the guild can decorate?

- Can we own two strongholds of the same type, like two Dromund Kaas strongholds, or can we only own one of each?

I would really love if we could do the bolded part. Would be great if they would extend that to the guild bank as well. We should be able to let more than just the GM manage certain systems.

Actually, there are several instances in the game of cross-class companion character interaction, including cross faction. I think it would be great if I could have companions I've unlocked on one side visit the other,.

I'm just happy to hear they will be legacy wide. If I had to pay for each character, or eve each faction, I just don't think I'd use it. The idea of having to decorate/unlock a stronghold for each character you have sounds very un-fun.

I'm a bit saddened by this as this means I'll have to pick ONE character to focus on when it comes to Strongholds.

Would it be at all possible to add in an OPTION to allow us to buy more Strongholds per account? I want my characters to have their own homes, not share one.

I agree with this 100%. I was really looking forward to having individual strongholds per character, not account.