Original Companion Romances Revised To Include LGBT?

Ylliarus

As the title states I was wondering whether the community would want to see the "vanilla" companion romances revised in such a way that they would enable our player characters to romance them when they are of the same gender. The inclusion of LGBT romances namely first came with RotHC, but they were never made a part of the base game. With the amazing inclusion of same gender romance in KotFE and KotET where aside from our own character multiple other NPC and story characters appeared to identify as LGBT, my question also was to Bioware whether they'd consider doing something of the sorts or if such a thing would be off the table? The Devs did go back and remake the intro cutscenes of the 8 base class storylines, so maybe it's not a stretch to hope they'd do the same for the original companion romances :)

For example, a female Sith Inquisitor able to romance Ashara Zavros, or a male Sith Warrior able to romance Malavai Quinn? What I would love for them to keep is the marriage part of those romances, because in KotET and KotFE we do get to have same gender romance, but not marriage as far as I know. At least, my male Darth Imperius wasn't able to marry Theron Shan yet and make him a proper Imperial (as he always should have been hehe). So it would be amazing to have the ability to have Quinn and male Warrior marry one another.

Does the community agree? Would something like this be a welcome sight or do you think there are bigger fish to fry? I'd love to know your thoughts!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title states I was wondering whether the community would want to see the "vanilla" companion romances revised in such a way that they would enable our player characters to romance them when they are of the same gender. The inclusion of LGBT romances namely first came with RotHC, but they were never made a part of the base game. With the amazing inclusion of same gender romance in KotFE and KotET where aside from our own character multiple other NPC and story characters appeared to identify as LGBT, my question also was to Bioware whether they'd consider doing something of the sorts or if such a thing would be off the table? The Devs did go back and remake the intro cutscenes of the 8 base class storylines, so maybe it's not a stretch to hope they'd do the same for the original companion romances :)

For example, a female Sith Inquisitor able to romance Ashara Zavros, or a male Sith Warrior able to romance Malavai Quinn? What I would love for them to keep is the marriage part of those romances, because in KotET and KotFE we do get to have same gender romance, but not marriage as far as I know. At least, my male Darth Imperius wasn't able to marry Theron Shan yet and make him a proper Imperial (as he always should have been hehe). So it would be amazing to have the ability to have Quinn and male Warrior marry one another.

Does the community agree? Would something like this be a welcome sight or do you think there are bigger fish to fry? I'd love to know your thoughts!

arhh NO I like it how they wrote it in the first place.

arhh NO I like it how they wrote it in the first place.

I didn't mean of course for them to completely discard the original romance, that could remain as it is :) but it would be nice if certain characters from your vanilla crew members would be a LGBT romance option. So basically it would be an addition instead of a revision :)

I would prefer not but here is why. I prefer characters to be written as people with distinct perspectives not replaceable widgets to be gamed by the player. It breaks story immersion for me. If you make a straight character, leave them straight. If you make a gay character, leave them gay. If you make a Bi or pan character, you get the point. Why should I care about a character when storywise they are really just reflecting what any given player wants to see at that moment? They stop being characters and start being more like exchangable furniture for me.

I feel this way beyond romances too. If the character dislikes something, give them a reason and don't go back on that without some character development. I feel the story is better, more whole, and easier to write when starting conditions are made with a rationale and followed through on.

However, I admit I play the game more to see the story than to game it.

I get the LGB romances, but what are the T romances?

Habit of taking the LGBT community as a whole when referencing to such matters :) and I didn't want to repeat "same gender romance" in every sentence so I tried to vary my vocabulary XD

I would prefer not but here is why. I prefer characters to be written as people with distinct perspectives not replaceable widgets to be gamed by the player. It breaks story immersion for me. If you make a straight character, leave them straight. If you make a gay character, leave them gay. If you make a Bi or pan character, you get the point. Why should I care about a character when storywise they are really just reflecting what any given player wants to see at that moment? They stop being characters and start being more like exchangable furniture for me.

I feel this way beyond romances too. If the character dislikes something, give them a reason and don't go back on that without some character development. I feel the story is better, more whole, and easier to write when starting conditions are made with a rationale and followed through on.

That is very much true and I agree that each character should be unique, but as it stands currently we don't have a single original companion that seems to be homosexual or bisexual. While I wouldn't want all companions to have been revised to be potentially bisexual, picking out a few would be nice or... do something revolutionary... and like Treek or HK-51 allow us to have a new companion that can be a part of our journey from like when we leave the starter planet that could be romancable with new cutscenes in Act I, II and III of the game.

While we are on the topic, the female Sith Inquisitor has an extremely low amount of romanacable companions for example and the same goes for male. The other classes at least have 2 companions they can romance but the Inquisitor can only pick Ashara or Andronikos, which is a great pity if you ask me.

Edited by Ylliarus

Not happening. They're not going to change anything story-wise from vanilla. The opening cutscene changes for each class was purely of a cinematic value, not voice acting and NPC reactions, for example. To go back and add new "romances" for every romanceable companion would a) screw up an unholy amount of coding (likely for the same reasons they've already said nope to gender changes for PC's), and b) require A LOT of new voice acting from every companion and PC voice actor. Not going to happen.

Besides, if it *did* happen, can you imagine the sheer outcry of rage from the forums here? "You're FORCING us to go back and play EVERYTHING WE'VE PLAYED AGAIN to enjoy LGBTalphabetsoup+ romances!!1!" Cue cries - somehow - of "homophobic" and "sexist" and whatnot. No matter what, people would complain, and with a hot-button subject like this, it'd get exploded out of proportion and overshadow any other legitimate issue people may have.

As a proud and out member representing the "G" in the LGBT community, I would say no. The reason is resource constraints and the obvious direction they are taking companions -- basically as interchangeable 'pieces of furniture' to quote a previous poster. My female Sith Warrior romanced Quinn and, frankly, was a bit disappointed by the 'return.' Sure, there were a few specific lines, but no many. My super hunky commando is romancing Dorne, I'm curious to see what happens when I get him through the storyline -- if it's like Quinn -- not much.

Had they originally started with the option then sure -- but it would take a lot of effort and resources to go back and retcon the storylines. Just not worth it when there are other far more pressing issues.

Not trying to be curmudgeonly here, just suggesting there are priorities.

TL;DR: Companion, even class specific storylines (except for maybe the off quest like they did in Shad of Revan) are gone. RP is now in our heads, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Exactly!!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe it's very minor, but you can take companion gifts as an example. Theron likes republic stuff, pierce likes military stuff Arcann likes imperial stuff and weapons etc. It still adds to their character. Same goes with romance, but on a much larger scale. I want my love interest to have a certain character and it always gets diminished when suggestions like the op has happens. Andromeda and DAI have it, and it gives the LI something extra. Don't take it away from swtor!!

Add new characters for different sexualities, don't ruin the old ones just to shoehorn something in. Same goes for playersexual.

Edited by Eshvara

As a proud and out member representing the "G" in the LGBT community, I would say no. The reason is resource constraints and the obvious direction they are taking companions -- basically as interchangeable 'pieces of furniture' to quote a previous poster. My female Sith Warrior romanced Quinn and, frankly, was a bit disappointed by the 'return.' Sure, there were a few specific lines, but no many. My super hunky commando is romancing Dorne, I'm curious to see what happens when I get him through the storyline -- if it's like Quinn -- not much.

Had they originally started with the option then sure -- but it would take a lot of effort and resources to go back and retcon the storylines. Just not worth it when there are other far more pressing issues.

Not trying to be curmudgeonly here, just suggesting there are priorities.

TL;DR: Companion, even class specific storylines (except for maybe the off quest like they did in Shad of Revan) are gone. RP is now in our heads, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

When debating the matter in my head your arguments were pretty much the same as mine when giving counter arguments as to why not do this :) The companions are becoming like interchangable furniture. I do like the option to shift them from tank, to dps, to healer so that should remain but I agree as to their personality and story they should be more unique.

Retconning the entire romances would indeed be a costly project, so I definitely see the argument of "bigger fish to fry with this budget" to be true. If not the original companions, perhaps when others do return such as Ashara or another companion, Bioware might consider opening up the possibility for a same sex romance with some, not all, a few? That way they don't need to retcon as it could be a part of their "coming back" storyline?

Yes! But I would really also like to see polygamy added!

Sith Warroirs can be polygamists.

If you romance Vette and do not start any flirtations with Jeasa [pretty much you don't do any companion interactions with her for the time being], once you Marry Vette, after that you can start doing companion interactions witj Jaesa and you can romance her and end up marrying her with no conflict with Vette. You just need to leave Jaesa alone until you marry Vette. Of course this means that the vanilla stroyline is almost over by the time you Marry Vette but you can marry them both like this. I did =] Of course, this requires that Jaesa be Darkside [which she should be anyways, shes so much cooler and yummier than lightside Jaesa].

You'll get letters from both of them referring to you as husband.

Why settle for one when you can have two? And 4 is better than 2 =p

Habit of taking the LGBT community as a whole when referencing to such matters :) and I didn't want to repeat "same gender romance" in every sentence so I tried to vary my vocabulary XD

That is very much true and I agree that each character should be unique, but as it stands currently we don't have a single original companion that seems to be homosexual or bisexual. While I wouldn't want all companions to have been revised to be potentially bisexual, picking out a few would be nice or... do something revolutionary... and like Treek or HK-51 allow us to have a new companion that can be a part of our journey from like when we leave the starter planet that could be romancable with new cutscenes in Act I, II and III of the game.

While we are on the topic, the female Sith Inquisitor has an extremely low amount of romanacable companions for example and the same goes for male. The other classes at least have 2 companions they can romance but the Inquisitor can only pick Ashara or Andronikos, which is a great pity if you ask me.

Theron and Lana can both be romanced by either gender, as can Koth.

When I first started this game as a Sith Warrior it was obvious that Vette was a romance option. But I when I met Quinn, I assumed Quinn was the gay male romance option. I mean, it felt like a perfect fit. In fact, I was surprised when it turn out he wasn't.

Of course now I know none of them gay (male or female). It's not until SOR do you meet a gay male char that can join you on missions (Theron). The bad thing about Theron, is that he just screams gay. Look at him.

I'd prefer Quinn. But whatever. I play as a straight dude usually banging Vette then dumping her for Lana.

PS: I doubt the dev's will make any changes to any part of the romance system. Even the straight romanes are bland and boring. Compared to other BW games (like DAO/2/3, ME2/3 (hell even MEA), this game's romances are BORING.

Edited by cagthehack

When I first started this game as a Sith Warrior it was obvious that Vette was a romance option. But I when I met Quinn, I assumed Quinn was the gay male romance option. I mean, it felt like a perfect fit. In fact, I was surprised when it turn out he wasn't.

Of course now I know none of them gay (male or female). It's not until SOR do you meet a gay male char that can join you on missions (Theron). The bad thing about Theron, is that he just screams gay. Look at him.

I'd prefer Quinn. But whatever. I play as a straight dude usually banging Vette then dumping her for Lana.

The first same gender romance was in Rise of the Hutt Cartel, Cytherat was one (and I hope for him to return as a companion someday!) and a few others but I forgot their names. But true, Theron, Koth, Lana are the first companions that are bisexual, as Cytherat was a story character not a comp.

I think this type of topic can cause more grief than benefit Bioware know people want some sort of same sex within the game but at the same time the storm for a topic like this can out way the good bring up the topic on the fleet see how toxic things get rather fast I don't have anything against LGBT I have friends that are in this community but pushing it in peoples faces in a video game i'm not a big fan of remember if they wanted it in the original game play it would have been in it.

Nope I dont care about ingame romancing at all really. So for me it would be a total waste of hours to develop that. I much rather see ingame content such as FP's or OP's or even abit of story and pvp.. in the story they can put more companions willing to romance any sex aslong as it dont take away from all the new pve and pvp content we hunger for. Edited by zappito