CM dyes on the GTN and is it time Bioware lowered the CM price?

Honest question.

Who actually buys these CM dyes that are listed above 500,000 credits on the GTN?

And more to the point, who actually buys the ones over 5 mil?

It makes me wonder how many of these dyes do Bioware actually sell on the CM for 500-700 CC as well as how many do these resellers actually sell?

Maybe it’s time Bioware reduced the cost of these to bring down the price in the game. It’s not like it’s an item you can put in your collection and use. It can only be used once.

If they won’t add them as part of the collections, then I propose they reduce the cost on the CM to between 50-100 CC. (Preferably 50).

This wouldn’t ruin the crafting market and it would reduce the cost of CM dyes on the GTN. And the big PLUS for Bioware is they will probably sell a hell of a lot more and make more money.

What do you guys think?

I brought one last night for 8m

I needed it and it was the only way to get it.

Although I completely agree with you, something as simple as a dye to make your character look good should be easily and cheaply obtainable.

Edited by QuinlanSaathis

I've never purchased the dyes as standalone items. The only ones I've gotten were from opening packs / crates. I wonder how many people directly purchase dyes on the Cartel Market given the exorbitant cost and the one-time use.

I've never purchased the dyes as standalone items. The only ones I've gotten were from opening packs / crates. I wonder how many people directly purchase dyes on the Cartel Market given the exorbitant cost and the one-time use.

I would say a lot.

It is the only reliable source of dyes

I buy quite a few, black/black and the orange/purple variants are some of my favourites, with how easy credits are to gain even 10 million isn't that high of a cost for an outfit., sure for some maybe the number sounds intimidating but credit gearing is a lot easier now than before.

Dye system should be completly reworked if You ask me... It's sad I need for example primary brown dye only, but there's only pale brown, dark brown + something, light brown + something etc. So many times i need dye that comes only with primary or secondary another color. Its a good bussines for them, to sell every dye for CC. Edited by tummiswtor

I buy quite a few, black/black and the orange/purple variants are some of my favourites, with how easy credits are to gain even 10 million isn't that high of a cost for an outfit., sure for some maybe the number sounds intimidating but credit gearing is a lot easier now than before.

I’d love to know how credits are so easily obtainable for some people that they can regularly spend 10mil on a dye you can only use once.

I wish they came that easy for me.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Dye system should be completly reworked if You ask me... It's sad I need for example primary brown dye only, but there's only pale brown, dark brown + something, light brown + something etc. So many times i need dye that comes only with primary or secondary another color. Its a good bussines for them, to sell every dye for CC.

I think all secondary and primary dyes should be crafted. Please dont ask them to put more on the CM.

I enjoy opening hypercrates. I sell off duplicate dyes and I find they sell much faster than armor, weapons or even decorations. Even the ones that cost millions! I'm rather cheap myself though. I keep holding onto the nicer ones, afraid that if I use one I'll think of a better use later. So they sit in my storage, just in case. And I can't bring myself to spend more than 50k on the gtn, so the pickings are slim :p

Moar.

My point exactly. I think people would see the lower price and actually buy more than the 700cc a lot of them are at the moment. When you see a lower a price, you often buy more of something than you probably should.

I know when I’m shopping and I see a good price on shoes, I’ll buy two pairs, even if it was over my original budget.

This is how Bioware could be getting people to spend more CCs and hence, make more money from the CM dyes.

Meh, I just use red/black black/red crafted dyes. Some outfits only recognize half of the dye so it’s basically black/black dye for free.

So true. It’s why they are the most highly demanded crafted dyes. It always amazes me the people who drive the price down on these because they sell so fast, even at 100,000. I mostly list mine for 78,000 and if people don’t drive the price below 65,000, I can sell about 30-50 in a 24 hour period at 78,000 because the lower priced dyes sell out so quickly.

But recently, there have been some really dumb people on SF who drive red black down to 40,000 and list 2-3 pages and then have price wars at that price. They list so many and replace them so often, that I seriously doubt they can keep up with collecting the mats by themselves. I even think one or two of them maybe bots.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for people making credits and having a free market with price completion, but crafted dyes being sold below cost or CM dyes selling for 5mil is ridiculous.

There needs to be some balance and I think Bioware can at least address the CM dye situation by lowering the cost the sell them for

Maybe it’s time Bioware reduced the cost of these to bring down the price in the game. It’s not like it’s an item you can put in your collection and use. It can only be used once.

How likely is it that BW lowers their real life money income on purpose, just so that the players can save some virtual ingame currency? My guess is: -12 on a scale from 1 to 10. I would even say, if at all, they will raise the CM prices for dyes. After all, people keep buying those shinies anyway. So why lower the prices? :(

I’d love to know how credits are so easily obtainable for some people that they can regularly spend 10mil on a dye you can only use once.

I wish they came that easy for me.

I believe the standard answer on this board has been since 5.0: run heroics. ;)

The only way I ever made a lot of credits is through cartel market investments. My opinion is that many players with a lot of credits have done the real life money 2 credits transition. It's by far the easiest, simplest and fastest way of acquiring credits.

If you don't actually want to invest money, then you have to be a bit more patient and wait for your monthly CC grant to come. Then invest it smartly and you get credits. Or gather friend referral CCs. That is the non-plus-ultra way of making ingame-credits: free CC 2 ingame credits transition.

Then again, some players are really good grinders and have a lot of free time. I don't mean this disrespectful. If you ask how to get credits, you are most likely a player without a lot of time in your life to spend on gaming. Probably with a job. Or family. Or both.

When I have 2000 CC, I buy the masters datacron and sell it on the GTN. That's some guaranteed 30-35m net income. With a little bit of time for the GTN game, I double this within a few days.

If I really need some extra credits, I craft some fast-selling items. When I was still properly crafting maybe 2 years ago or so, I easily made 3-5m every day. But it was soooo boring. :rolleyes:

I found a secondary (?) black dye in one of my char's cargo holds some time ago. What a surprise. Put it on the GTN for a - so I thought - ridiculously high price (8 digits number). Sold within 2 minutes. :eek:

I would agree that making credits these days is not hard. There are many ways to do that such as heroics, crafting, dailies area, selling CM items etc on gtn. For dyes, it is a market that newbie crafters like to enter as it have a low mat cost. Green and blue mats is really easy to come by farming or doing crafting missions. Also, dyes take up space after crafting, it will make sense for crafters to tend to dump them cheap so that they sell and not get stuck with inventory. I will suggest if dyes can stack in bank inventory, it will make it easier to store them. This will lower the incentive for crafters to dump dyes cheaply in the market.

How likely is it that BW lowers their real life money income on purpose, just so that the players can save some virtual ingame currency? My guess is: -12 on a scale from 1 to 10. I would even say, if at all, they will raise the CM prices for dyes. After all, people keep buying those shinies anyway. So why lower the prices? :(

I believe the standard answer on this board has been since 5.0: run heroics. ;)

The only way I ever made a lot of credits is through cartel market investments. My opinion is that many players with a lot of credits have done the real life money 2 credits transition. It's by far the easiest, simplest and fastest way of acquiring credits.

If you don't actually want to invest money, then you have to be a bit more patient and wait for your monthly CC grant to come. Then invest it smartly and you get credits. Or gather friend referral CCs. That is the non-plus-ultra way of making ingame-credits: free CC 2 ingame credits transition.

Then again, some players are really good grinders and have a lot of free time. I don't mean this disrespectful. If you ask how to get credits, you are most likely a player without a lot of time in your life to spend on gaming. Probably with a job. Or family. Or both.

When I have 2000 CC, I buy the masters datacron and sell it on the GTN. That's some guaranteed 30-35m net income. With a little bit of time for the GTN game, I double this within a few days.

If I really need some extra credits, I craft some fast-selling items. When I was still properly crafting maybe 2 years ago or so, I easily made 3-5m every day. But it was soooo boring. :rolleyes:

I found a secondary (?) black dye in one of my char's cargo holds some time ago. What a surprise. Put it on the GTN for a - so I thought - ridiculously high price (8 digits number). Sold within 2 minutes. :eek:

I’ve got 250mil in credits. But I worked damn hard to get them.

My question was a rhetorical response to being told credits are “easy” to come by. Which they aren’t unless you spend real money to buy CM items to convert to cash.

All my credits were from crafting, farming, playing the market and grinding content. None of it was given to me and none of it “easily” fell into my lap.

If Bioware lowered the price on CM dyes, they would most likely sell more of them and make more money because micro transactions often get people to pay more over time, than one big transaction.

I’d be more likely to spend 1000cc more often if I could get 10 dyes for that price. But I’m not going to pay 700CCs for 1 dye I can only use once and it might look crap anyway.

The same goes with all items on the CM. I would buy more and then pay to open things in the collections if they were cheaper. But because they aren’t, I just buy on the GTN and only use my CCs to open stuff. I’m certainly not going to pay $40 for a virtual Lightsabre.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

My point exactly. I think people would see the lower price and actually buy more than the 700cc a lot of them are at the moment. When you see a lower a price, you often buy more of something than you probably should.

I know when I’m shopping and I see a good price on shoes, I’ll buy two pairs, even if it was over my original budget.

This is how Bioware could be getting people to spend more CCs and hence, make more money from the CM dyes.

You know they won't though. Their price points are set for their target audience.. As long as people are willing to click 'buy 2000 cc' and then drop 1000 cc on a black/black dye, or buy 10,000 cc and drop 8,000 cc on gear and 2 black/black dyes, they have no incentive to drop that price. What people do with the stuff afterwards doesn't matter to them. I'm not their target audience. I'm small fry. I use my monthly grant and get a 240 cc one or two. You really aren't they're target either since you're only willing to buy from the GTN. They aren't concerned with GTN prices or sales. Yes I know, someone had to pay to put it on there in the first place, but as long as people are willing to do that they're only concerned with that original bulk purchase of cc and how much they can squeeze out of you for a purchase. You squeezing out more stuff from a purchase doesn't incentivise them.

Think of it like this. It's $20 for 2400 cc. I can get 2 black dyes and have 400 left over. Or for just $20 more (infomercial voice) I can get 5500 cc. That's 5 black dyes and 500 left over, some for me some for the GTN. What a deal. Bam! They got you. Because now you've spent $40 instead of $20. What a deal indeed - for them. Them dropping prices on dyes (or anything really) means you can get more out of a $20 purchase instead of pushing you into going up to $40. It may mean you don't make a purchase, but c'est la vie, you weren't the target, the next person that does go big is. What you get with the cc package isn't important in so far as you buy the best deal.

Edited by kodrac

I just came back since free EXP weekend.

I realize that dyes are one-time use, but they can last a long freaking time. I don't see investing 10 dollars on a dye to be a waste if I wear it for a month or so. You can make up an outfit, apply a dye, and unify the colors--and that outfit will be saved FOREVER!

They give us additional outfit slots, so I just purchase a new slot if I want to test something. But honestly, dyes don't seem to disposable as people make it out to seem. Unless you're swapping your colors out every other day. I suppose that can happen.

-----------------

I have a friend that religiously buys dyes for cartel coins to sell on the GTN. He claims nothing sells faster.

If you take a look at the GTN economy now, there is a massive credits inflation going on from basic level 1 to 10 green crafting mats each going from 1k to 9k depending on the market. This is due to the infinite conquest objective of crafting 50 items giving 300 conquest points each time. In such a market, almost all crafters will lose out as mats cost alone on gtn market price will always be more than finished product unless they take the time to slowly farm mats themselves. As of now, even normal casual players who are doing the class story can easily earn millions per day going through the story planets and selling gathered crafting mats on GTN. I would say that cartel dyes are working as intended, in fact 10 mil prices for black cartel dyes may even be too low today.

Basically, it's impossible for us to know the answer to the thread title.

If the devs are making their target sales for these exclusive items, then they're working as intended, and there's little reason to alter the price to give people more color for their money. The GTN is completely irrelevant, since it has no impact on the game's financials.

It's like complaining the Unstable Peacemaker lightsaber is overpriced, and more people would buy if it only cost 1,000 credits. Is it worth $50? I highly doubt it. Yet, the target audience seems to pay it happily. Black dyes and white dyes have always been extremely rare. At least now we can purchase the exact color desired directly (not me, I'm a cheapskate who only blows $40 unlocking CM styles, lol) instead of having to rely on RNG from a lock box.

I honestly forgot the last time I purchased a dye directly from the CM. It seems like such a waste of CC, when I can gain more, CC to credits wise, if I buy something else and sell it on the GTN.

As for the question "who buys dyes for 500k-5kk"... GTN players like me? 5kk is nothing: I earn more in a day. And I don't need dyes that often that spending 5kk on one (or a bit more than that) is something I can't allow myself.

Edited by Arkamos-Aurelius