Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

So, the Revan mask clipping isn't an artist thing?

Unless the artist (whose job should be designing the armor/scenery etc.) is also directly coding that information, no, that's an issue with the coding and how the helm interacts with its surroundings.

Twi'lek models are quite pretty when they're not interacting with other things, because their lekku clip into everything. That's not a "art" issue, that's a coding issue. Lekku need to be programmed to move to the outside of armor/vibroswords what have you, not just sit there and clip. They don't seem to be programmed as solid objects, and, therefore, clip like mad.

Edited by irishfino

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read all of the responses however all we really need to spice up PVP is cross server and a ranked season. Open world PVP is not really something I think will be viable unless population is there for it and there are rewards that make it worth doing open worled world PVP. Open world PVP is normally all about who has the biggest mob.

SGR I'm fine with I think some of the companions had the option for this that are in place now but didn't make the cut if that is the case they should be add the option for that even if it was for new characters going forward. From the sounds of things the new storylines that come with the new content will have new storylines for characters so a lot of you asking for a continuation of your characters story I would think this would fill that void at least for the time being. Future character development through our characters storyline I would think would be a top priority once class balance is sorted out.

Class Balance is a big issue and should be at the forefront as we Sorceror's have been nerfed since 1.2 our damage is a joke and we have to spec into cc that other classes get baseline, we need a fix. If you intend to make these changes in the expansion to fix those like the Inquisitor/Sage then please let us know as I'm sure it would go a long way with keeping sub's

New content levels and everything else is great.

I didn't read all of the responses however all we really need to spice up PVP is cross server and a ranked season.

Really? You honestly think THAT is all that's needed huh? LOL! Changing the name to all the existing worthless stuff we have now, is not "all we really need". We need a helluva lot more for PvP.

Really? You honestly think THAT is all that's needed huh? LOL! Changing the name to all the existing worthless stuff we have now, is not "all we really need". We need a helluva lot more for PvP.

I rarely PvP...... And I agree you need a hell of a lot more then what there is now.

As far as the expansion goes, please don't go the route that the other popular MMO goes every time there is an expansion, and feel like you have to totally redo talent trees and points.

Players get comfortable playing the talents and points they have. I for one don't want a complete overhaul of the system. I am quite content to have 5 more talent points to put into my CURRENT talent tree(s) at level 55.

Thank you!

#1 issue should be free or inexpensive character transfers.

We need to be able to play where we want. Many of us were caught by your server population mismanagement (ie: The Fatman as an example).

Please expedite this. And allow us to transfer from pve to pvp or pvp to pve or to a different time zone.

#1 issue should be free or inexpensive character transfers.

We need to be able to play where we want. Many of us were caught by your server population mismanagement (ie: The Fatman as an example).

Please expedite this. And allow us to transfer from pve to pvp or pvp to pve or to a different time zone.

I keep seeing people ask for things that has been stated that they will be getting. Case in point:

Topic #3: Character Copy to Public Test Server (PTS) – What is taking so long? Answer: As of the writing of this letter, we are in focused, internal testing on character copies for PTS. You should expect to see this come within the first part of this year. It will provide free character copies to PTS at any time (with possible restrictions dependent upon our testing needs at any given time). This will also lay the foundation for our new live character transfer system that will be coming later this year.

I want to transfer some characters from a West Coast RP server to an East Coast PVE server. So I hope the transfers will allow that (and aren't TOO expensive). :cool:

Are your next updates going to address the sad state of affairs in pvp? like bubble poppers, smash monkies, premades ruining pug wzs, est? If not, you really dont understand what the pvp crowds are complaining about. Roll a lvl 50 toon and play a bit and you will see.

Unless the artist (whose job should be designing the armor/scenery etc.) is also directly coding that information, no, that's an issue with the coding and how the helm interacts with its surroundings.

Eeeeer no, not at all. Clipping is an issue that relates most of the time with how the character is animated and how the influences are "painted" on the mesh, that is the weights that the bone structure has an how it applies it to the mesh, and how hard it applies it : and this is tipically an art issue.

Most of the time it's a rigging issue, sometimes it's an animation issue, sometimes a mesh issue, and yes sometimes the coding of the physics can make stuff clip BUT this is because the art department made a mistake somewhere and didn't test properly.

That said, I do think the art department is doing a very good job all accross the board, the only thing i'm bothered with is the management that don't give them enough time allowance to fix those UNLESS it's for a cartel item model...

Class Balance is a big issue and should be at the forefront as we Sorceror's have been nerfed since 1.2 our damage is a joke and we have to spec into cc that other classes get baseline, we need a fix. If you intend to make these changes in the expansion to fix those like the Inquisitor/Sage then please let us know as I'm sure it would go a long way with keeping sub's

Roflmfao, are you seriously complaining that sorcs are UNDERPOWERED? For real? You have the most cc of any class, the most ***-savers on the lowest cds, oh and bubble spec (the most op thing in pvp now). Hiding behind a wall of melee spamming lightning and then running is hard I hear... Seriously not trying to insult or troll you, but if you think sorcs need a buff of any kind you're delusional.

Now faceroll jugg/guardian smash spec and pyrotech pwrtcs need balancing, that I'll agree with.

I keep seeing people ask for things that has been stated that they will be getting. Case in point:

They have claimed to be working on character transfers for 9 months now. It is now going to be in the second half of 2013 based on that letter. Theoretically, yes, they're probably coming at some point, but the issue is priority. The list of things they've been "working on" since the guild summit is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. That doesn't mean we should stop asking.

The squeaky wheel and all - why do you think he had to address SGRs?

I think this may be the funniest thing i have ever read on the boards...Thankyou for the laugh.

Well it's good to see the SGR people are getting some attention. They've only been asking for the option since beta.

I have to agree with the lack of class updates though. It's a killer. My character is basically in limbo right now. If you are never going to expand the class stories could you at least let us redo them.

Please, please, please Bioware, Lucasarts, and EA do not allow SGR in Star Wars The Old Republic. It will ruin the game and make a lot of people leave it. I'm only suggesting my opinion because I love this game so much and I don't want to see it go down the drain. As a subscriber, I'm asking all of you to change your mind. Star Wars is a family based story with nothing to do with SGR.

Please, please, please Bioware, Lucasarts, and EA do not allow SGR in Star Wars The Old Republic. It will ruin the game and make a lot of people leave it. I'm only suggesting my opinion because I love this game so much and I don't want to see it go down the drain. As a subscriber, I'm asking all of you to change your mind. Star Wars is a family based story with nothing to do with SGR.

An SGR option in dialogue choices will not ruin this game just as other [Flirt] options have not ruined this game.

On the topic of same gender romance I say great. Personally I would have made a female char but I made a male because I wanted the romance option. Well if it's implemented then I can romance my female companion and be a female toon. It's like haveing the cake and getting to eat it. The only problem is i'd have to restart my male toons lmao Edited by Deathen_Shada

On the topic of same gender romance I say great. Personally I would have made a female char but I made a male because I wanted the romance option. Well if it's implemented then I can romance my female companion and be a female toon. It's like haveing the cake and getting to eat it. The only problem is i'd have to restart my male toons lmao

Companions are all straight... at least for the time being. It's only going to be homosexual NPCs on Makeb for now.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

So much heated debate and over what? You've continued to play the game this far or you've come back to stir up flaming posts about things that coulda woulda shoulda been added. Yes there are things they could do and should do, but one step at a time no? Yes the next coming updates might not be for PVPers, whoop de freaking do. SGR was promised long ago and it was about time it was added. Would it make or break my game? No, but it would be a neat avenue to follow. Don't like it? Tough. I'm sure there are features that have been added that you like and others don't. I'm sure smash(Sweep for you jedi scum) spec warriors are rejoicing. The rest of us find them annoying (Except for my sintank.. silly smash juggs)

Personally I'm just happy they're continuing to update. Sure I've disagreed and disliked some of their updates, but until they seriously botch the game (Read: Actual pay to win, so far it's a vanity thing, even for that person who mentioned sounds) I will continue to play. That is because in spite of it's faults I still find a reason to play. Maybe it's the company, maybe it's the fact I can still find something entertaining to do. I'll admit, I haven't been here since the beta, but I've still been around for a fair amount of time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be a bit cross with Bioware if they stopped adding new content, but really, at this stage, anything they do add will give me something to fiddle with. I still want some of the big changes some of the other folks want (Some working of Open world pvp would have been nice if it was possible... and keep your chat bubbles unless they can be toggled), but holy cow lighten up. They can't release a huge expansion with every update!

Having said that, I do agree that this was a bit vague. I've been looking for more information on some of this stuff and it just isn't here. I'm glad to hear about SGR but there are other things I'd love to hear about. Like how you plan on addressing the gear, what are your op/ flashpoint plans Just something more than "We're going to be working on these." Well gee I hope so!

As for story content? I'm not quite sure what they could do personally. I can't speak for every storyline as I've yet to do them all, but the inquisitor and Imperial Agent story arcs seem to be done as much as they can be. I won't spoil it for any who haven't done it, but I don't really see much for them to continue on.

And lastly the open world pvp debate. Yes, I'd love it, but the people talking about the game engine have merit. Some of you have some ungodly, beastly machines. (Hope to build one myself one day, though the one I have isn't too bad.) But no matter how many numbers your pc can crunch, and no matter how much data you can send over your interwebs, you're still grounded to reality by one major factor. The server you are playing on. These servers are not built especially for you. They will not allocate all their resources to make sure -you- do not have issues.

Fun fact: (The Devs will probably hate me for going on about this but :p) I am an EVE Online Vet. No that doesn't make me special, not the point. EVE Online has never been paralleled in one particular field. It's combat scale. WoW doesn't come close to even touching on how many people can and have been involved in some skirmishes in some of the great EVE wars. We're talking thousands on thousands in one single fight. True many don't care for blob warfare. I'm one of them, but in this is a lesson to be learned.

It doesn't take an impressive machine to run EVE at full graphics. It takes more than it did three years ago, but even my dated PC can max out the graphics without telling me to go F myself. Some of the Eve enthusiasts have dream machines capable of hosting servers. However, even the mightiest machine was brought to it's knees when they joined in these massive battles. It would take entire minutes, we're talking up to ten and even more, just to load the battlefield. At times people would find themselves reloading a station before they ever had it loaded. Even when it was loaded, things were beyond choppy. But it was not their PCs that caused this. It was the load on the server. This in EVE online, where they even tried to reinforce (Bolster) the node for known upcoming battles.

It wasn't until they tried an entirely new way of thinking that they managed to, for the most part, solve this issue. They had improved their game engine over the near decade the game has been out, but they could not destroy the 'lag' beast. (Lag of a different sort). So instead of simply focusing on improving the streamlining of the engine, they added a new feature. Time dilation. This feature would incrementally 'slow' down the speed at which events occurred upon a node to allow their server to process and distribute all the information being generated by the massive amount of players present. The result? It lightened the load on the server and nearly obliterated the 'observed' lagging, stuttering frame rates, etc. The catch was that any action you took would be slowed down up to 80%. So while it wasn't lagging, you were just nearly frozen in time.

While this is a neat and innovative feature that works -epically- in EVE Online, I do not believe it would work here, nor would I want to see it ever tried. Perhaps from a technically standpoint it would work, but as a player It would become difficult to handle the slowed environment. It works in a setting like eve as it operates on a point/click basis. On a WASD setup things are a bit different. You would either need to scale the effect of the keystrokes or leave it to your players to estimate when to let go of the key, else overshoot their goal. It just doesn't strike me as feasible in this environment. Not to mention as I do not believe the servers are segmented... Time dilation would likely need to be implemented server wide. Imagine being nowhere near the conflict but having it still effect you? That would not be very fun.

So in the end, they can continue and continue and continue to 'improve' the streamline of the game engine, but without something to alleviate the load that players create on the server, it will be a while in the making before they overcome the obstacle of massive open world battles. Remember, the more people in one area, hacking it out, means that the information load increases -exponentially-, not -incrementally-.

Now that you've probably fallen asleep without reading half of what I've said, I will just say that I, for one, would still not object to them creating something to encourage a little world pvp here and there.

/end rant

Rennia

THIS.

PvP is horribly broken at 50, and not much better sub-50.

My ideas:

1) Implement cross-server PvP. We're tired of fighting the same team over and over and over.

2) Seperate sub-50 pvp into 2 brackets - 10-25, and 25-50.

3) Add a 30 minute cooldown before queuing again for anyone who leaves a match in progress.

4) Fix class balance. Fix class balance. Fix class balance.

5) Did I mention fixing class balance?

Totally agree!!

Well, this one finally broke the camels back.

The biggest issue for me in this game is its poor performance.

Not a single word about that in months now I think.

Their so called expansion coming at some point and they tell us we'll get new operations LATER this year? (Like I expect them to deliver what they promise...)

And Same Gender Romance being so high on top of their list of things that need to be addressed? Seriously?

So yes, I just canceled my sub.

Gonna keep myself entertained with Global Agenda and Skyrim until The Elder Scrolls Online comes out.