Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How playable is pvp now with current bolster and lack of pvp gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How playable is pvp now with current bolster and lack of pvp gear?

Raansu
11.13.2017 , 07:00 PM | #1
I quit about a year ago, right before the implementation of cxp. I saw that rng stuff and removal of pvp gear and I just didn't want to be a part of it as I quite liked bouncing around from toon to toon all of which I could gear quickly compared to what I saw in the cxp as a long grind. I've kind of followed the changes they have made, but I'm just curious how good/bad the current gear gap is with bolster as I still really am not a fan of just sticking to one toon and like bouncing around doing pvp on multiple toons.

Aeneas_Falco
11.13.2017 , 07:19 PM | #2
Bolster works fairly well and as such gear isn't the end-all-and-be-all in PVP, at least in Regs. If you're good you can be competitive even in bolstered 208s. A bolstered player in 208s who is a lot better than someone of the same class in full 248s is probably going to going to be able to out perform the player in 248s.

That said it would be a lie also to say that gear does not matter at all. For starters some in full BiS is going to have a larger health pool than someone of the same class in bolstered 208s, and people with low health are often an early if not initial focus in arenas. More health = more up time to heal, damage, or guard. Bolster has it's limitations as well, and even if you're playing a class you're already very familiar with (so experience isn't a factor) you'll notice you generally start doing more DPS and HPS as your gear level climbs.

Tl;dr version: PVP is entirely playable in less than BiS and you can be competitive without BiS, but all things being equal full BiS with set bonuses is a slight advantage over those without it.

Metthew
11.13.2017 , 07:31 PM | #3
Lack of bolster is offset by skill in NA I think, except for very situational times (lack of DPS to 1v1 someone etc.) I haven't really felt it. But I take so much more damage undergeared, which would be a problem in EU. Talking about ranked btw, regs is fully fine - Devil seems to do just good without full set bonus even.
Erhart / Wilhemine | Darth Malgus | <Take a Seat>

teclado
11.13.2017 , 07:43 PM | #4
Some rehash of what has been said, but here's my 2c...

Bolster is at 242 gear rating, best gear rating is 248. That's both good and bad. It's good because you will be pretty competitive with pretty much any gear. It's bad because you, starting from scratch, will experience a very long period of not progressing your character at all. You'll have to follow the upgrade path of 230-->236-->242-->248 all the way before you experience any improvement over bolster. That upgrade path takes a bloody long time.

To get to 248, you basically need to get your character to command rank 300. On the way there, keep all of the 230/236/242 gear pieces that you get from crates. You'll have to use some Unassembled Components (from warzones) plus the 230/236/242 gear shell to trade up to 248. If you want to ignore the crates altogether, you'd have to rely only on Unassembled Components and purchase each directly, then upgrade. It's possible, but slower.

TLDR: gearing is very slow, but bolster is decent.
Tecldo - Deception, SF

NikSunrider
11.13.2017 , 08:26 PM | #5
The only problem I've had with bolster is that my crit is that I get accuracy when I don't want it (like AP PT) and my crit isn't as high as I want it (meaning I can't global someone on the aforementioned AP PT) but otherwise gear isn't really that big a deal and there's only an 8k difference in health.

Just, don't forget to keep your augments updated and setbonus equipped.
Eternal Q, definitely in the wrong franchise.
CFO <Bacon Pancakes>, raider/PVPer with <Nemess> and <Eon>,
Owner-Operator <Cartel Vendor> - your one-stop shop for decorations and other cartel goods.

RaF Link Info

funnypat
11.14.2017 , 02:15 AM | #6
Yupp setboni is pretty much the only thing you "need" (you will feel it if you don't have it).
But as for bolster - works nice, I'm almost always still top or second best dps in wz on my sniper (3 - 4k dps), and she has "only" some 242 stuff and mostly still 236, so I should have the same stats that you have with 208.
Rly (Operative - Star Forge)
Cly (Scoundrel - Star Forge)

dead-cat
11.14.2017 , 04:11 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by teclado View Post
Some rehash of what has been said, but here's my 2c...
To get to 248, you basically need to get your character to command rank 300. On the way there, keep all of the 230/236/242 gear pieces that you get from crates. You'll have to use some Unassembled Components (from warzones) plus the 230/236/242 gear shell to trade up to 248. If you want to ignore the crates altogether, you'd have to rely only on Unassembled Components and purchase each directly, then upgrade. It's possible, but slower.
you don't need to keep 230 shells, they are not "legendary". after takeing out the armorings etc. you can safely sell them.
you can take some shortcuts here: buy or craft 246 mods, enhancements, hilt/barrel. even gemini mk-4 earpieces and impants. This should be sufficient to be able to do some hm ops to get 242 gear. with the unassembled components you get from wzs, upgrade the 242 to 248. while doing this, use cxp boosts and you'll get to 300 rather quick (2-3 weeks without a double xp event) and pick up some 236/242 drops on the way.
Will take a lot less time than waiting to get to 300 and hoping for useful drops.
While progressing through the command tiers, keep whatever legendary drops you get, even implants/earpieces/relics which you wouldn't want. you might get, for example a 242 devastating vengence which together with enough UCs you could trade in for an unassembled 248 relic which could be turned into a seredipitous assault relic. same for impants/earpieces with "unwanted" stats.
My referal: Here to get some free stuff.

Foambreaker
11.14.2017 , 10:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
I quit about a year ago, right before the implementation of cxp. I saw that rng stuff and removal of pvp gear and I just didn't want to be a part of it as I quite liked bouncing around from toon to toon all of which I could gear quickly compared to what I saw in the cxp as a long grind. I've kind of followed the changes they have made, but I'm just curious how good/bad the current gear gap is with bolster as I still really am not a fan of just sticking to one toon and like bouncing around doing pvp on multiple toons.
If CXP/RNG bothers you, which is normal, you can do pretty well with just bolster. You can run 208s or if you can get the 230 gear for tokens then you get set bonuses.

228 augments are good to have but also keep in mind they are releasing new augments sometime soon.

teclado
11.14.2017 , 10:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by dead-cat View Post
you don't need to keep 230 shells, they are not "legendary".
Oh wait...we can directly purchase 236 with Unassembled Components now, right? If so, I forgot about that!
Tecldo - Deception, SF

dead-cat
11.14.2017 , 11:02 AM | #10
yes, you could, although it's a waste of UCs. better do some quick sm ops where you get the 236 "for free".
My referal: Here to get some free stuff.