How can Revan be returning? Where did he go?

Masterrag

Forgive me, I have been out of the game for quite a while. Just re-subscribed and pre-ordered only because of the 12 x XP class experience and finally some content that links with KOTOR!

If I remember correctly, I thought Revan was rescued and freed from the Maelstrom Prison, or have I totally missed much more than I can tell?

Am I also right in thinking, that Revan or any other link to KOTOR does not appear again in game (part of the reason I left).

Can someone bring me up to speed please and inform me of any content new or old that I might have missed, that a huge fan of KOTOR should aim to play.

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Long story short:

Revan, after being freed, goes to a space station named "Foundry". It is similar to the Star Forge in that it is of Rakatan origin and has the ability to produce basically endless numbers of battle droids. Revan wishes to use these droids to kill everyone with Sith ancestry, meaning 97.8% of the Imperial populace. He is stopped by an Imperial strike team and basically vanishes into thin air. He is thought to be dead but makes his return in the level 55 quest chain "Forged Alliances".