Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion Thread: Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Discussion Thread: Galactic Starfighter
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dscount
07.06.2017 , 03:34 PM | #11
Good to see this happen. We have MANY things that GSF can improve upon.
Reference Link: Why not? http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

DakhathKilrathi
07.06.2017 , 03:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Osoygatitalove View Post
First, many thanks for listening to us players, GSF has been out a long time without changes.

When GSF first launch, i thought the game would center on dogfights, so i rolled a scout, and went really smooth with it.

Today i find that if i play a scout i will barely make a scratch on gunships or bombers, game became too difficult to us scouts and pretty much useless except for EMP. Laser damage should be increased to resemble vanilla, since dogfighting is the hardest of the gameplay styles (sniper turret -gunship, tank dps- bomber, and dogfight- scout/striker)

Bombers are fine, they were way OP back in vanilla, but now they can be easily neutralized with EMP and strikers.

Gunships atm are OP, i have a fully geared bomber, and eventually get 1 shot killed by gunships with damage boost, even with dmg reduction, or 2 shot killed on the regular. Gunships damage should be controlled, or their range reduced. Back in Vanilla, gunships were easier to kill, right now, they control games and make them slow and boring since most people play them.

tl;dr: Laser damage should be increased for scouts, due to dogfighting being the hardest skill to master. Gunships should be nerfed due to insane damage (1-2 shot kills) and insane survavility.

"GUNSHIPS ARE OP" says the bomber player. "Scouts need a buff" says the bomber player.

You may not realize this, but GSF balance is very much a rock/paper/scissors kind of thing.

Scouts counter gunships, gunships counter bombers, bombers counter scouts. So yes, as a bomber player, of course you're dying to gunships and of course the scouts are struggling to kill you.

It's hilarious that you're arguing that anyone should try to kill a bomber with strike fighters, btw, since EVEN THE DEVS have acknowledged that Strikes are the worst class in the game and by a very large margin. EMP is similarly bad.

"Dogfighting" is 100% the wrong way to play this game. You should never be chasing a target for very long unless it's a gunship. Scouts shouldn't be tangling with other scouts in open space, because that's not their job. (Unless of course they're setting up a shot for an allied gunship to finish off the player foolish enough to circle in open space.) Each ship has a clearly defined role (other than strikes).

Edit: As a further example that scouts are fine, here's me swapping to a scout after my gunship dies too easily and then performing well even in a build that's not even close to optimal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0RBfU1Pvvk

Pay attention to how I play this game. I don't chase any single target for an extended period of time. That's not my job. Instead, I swap targets to people who aren't trying to avoid me.

JediBoadicea
07.06.2017 , 03:46 PM | #13
I'm going to go post in all of these threads, but as an avid GSFer since GSF's early access, I just want to say thank you for all of these renewed signs that you are not letting GSF just die! Any game, or game mode, needs attention from its development team in order to thrive. Even without new ships or game modes, we've seen GSF bugs lie unaddressed for years, and it's incredibly disheartening. Seeing these threads go up made me giddy with disbelief and renewed hope, so thank you for reaching out. Hopefully you'll be able to sort through the flurry of opinions you're going to receive in order to pick out a few gems you can implement to really breathe some new life into this game mode that many of us love.

Lavaar
07.06.2017 , 04:00 PM | #14
Gsf is an excellent and timeless game mode and, despite the accusations of it being a dying part of SWTOR, it still surprises me that the vibrant, positive, and active community in GSF has continued to keep the game interesting and compelling for new and old players alike. Threads such as these are such a positive and encouraging thing for this community, and I would like to thank the dev's for reaching out.

To the newer players out there, there are so many community resources out there to help you get started on the right track, such as Despon's GSF School, The GSF Discord Server, A A Dedicated GSF Guild as well as the Galactic Starfighter Forum.

See you in the skies!

josephxp
07.06.2017 , 04:02 PM | #15
I'm in disbelieve that a dev went to the GSF forum

But so happy that we are going to get more love!
Give Us New GSF Maps
Tachyon(s)/Alpha Triage(pub)/Void(imp) from Ebon Hawk
7 days of free subscription and character transfer for subs and returners

Mord_Sith_Spit
07.06.2017 , 04:46 PM | #16
Thank you thank you for having this discussion! I agree with lots that's been posted already.

Gunships over-powered..just throwing ideas out there:
-handicap Gunships during the battle the as more enter the fray from one's team?
-make Gunship armour very "brittle" :P
-do not allow Gunships to be able to use powerups/boosts/bonuses
-limit each fight to 2 Gunships per team at any one time
-allow fighters to spawn right behind enemy Gunships as a free option :P
Dogfights: I love the idea of battles without Gunships
Spawning: I don't think I see too many capital ships firing anymore (might be something that one has to enable during the game? idk)...makes it hard to have a chance of surviving the first 5 seconds during a lopsided game, when the enemy is all over your spawning points...then again, that makes the game end quicker.
...wait...
...WHAT IF YOUR TEAM'S CAPITAL SHIPS (with ability to fire) MOVED CLOSER TO THE CENTRE THE MORE YOUR TEAM IS GETTING CRUSHED!?!?!?!?! BRILLIANT...I...think......

I may h8 Gunships...I might be biased :P

I honestly do love GSF actually...it's a fun mini-game and good for conquesting points. Once in a while, a blowout is fine, but not when it's like, 80% blowouts and only 20% competitive (so it seems)...

Venlac
07.06.2017 , 06:38 PM | #17
Nerf Gunships
Buff Strikes
Add a little balance to T2 scouts
Improve the tutorial for new pilots
Add drink cup holders

xmarcusprimex
07.06.2017 , 06:57 PM | #18
Quite honestly I enjoy it as it is. The main barrier I have however is that you have to be on a heavy pop server to play. Otherwise if you are on a lower or low pop server this aspect of the game is utterly non-existent. My main server is low pop and GSF never happens. I made characters on Harbinger only to play GSF, and this is fine, but I should be able to to this on any server. If anything in this game should employ cross server play, I say GSF should be it.

Besides all this, there is stuff in older starfighter packs (ships, colors) that can not be found anymore and should be reassigned to a vendor in the GSF deck at the fleet station. Possibly for credits. I want stuff, but I cant get stuff. Let me get stuff. Please?

Also some random bits, the GSF deck at fleet station should have more to do if you want to hang out there waiting for queues to pop. Perhaps a GTN and other utilities? I would love this. It is a fun deck with lots off love put into the design.. I would love more of a reason to hang out there. And from a RP standpoint, would be nice to have more to do there. Oh and would love a travel point added there as well, like what was done at Cartel deck.

josephxp
07.06.2017 , 07:18 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Mord_Sith_Spit View Post
Thank you thank you for having this discussion! I agree with lots that's been posted already.

Gunships over-powered..just throwing ideas out there:
-handicap Gunships during the battle the as more enter the fray from one's team?
-make Gunship armour very "brittle" :P
-do not allow Gunships to be able to use powerups/boosts/bonuses
-limit each fight to 2 Gunships per team at any one time
-allow fighters to spawn right behind enemy Gunships as a free option :P
Dogfights: I love the idea of battles without Gunships
Spawning: I don't think I see too many capital ships firing anymore (might be something that one has to enable during the game? idk)...makes it hard to have a chance of surviving the first 5 seconds during a lopsided game, when the enemy is all over your spawning points...then again, that makes the game end quicker.
...wait...
...WHAT IF YOUR TEAM'S CAPITAL SHIPS (with ability to fire) MOVED CLOSER TO THE CENTRE THE MORE YOUR TEAM IS GETTING CRUSHED!?!?!?!?! BRILLIANT...I...think......

I may h8 Gunships...I might be biased :P

I honestly do love GSF actually...it's a fun mini-game and good for conquesting points. Once in a while, a blowout is fine, but not when it's like, 80% blowouts and only 20% competitive (so it seems)...
You CAN'T limit the number of ships a team has, talked about this in another GSF post, there are achievements involved with playing 250 games with a type of ship and 50 wins with a type of ship, forcing a pilot to play something else they don't feel comfortable with will make them not play or que up, plus all of the people who want to fly gunships will just have 3 ships slots open only all 3 gunships so it wont even work.

Gunships are easy to counter <_< fly at an arcing angle with a scout or strike fighter, they lose accuracy from tracking penalty. Really not hard to kill a gunship. The only thing that may need a slight nerf is ion railgun to reduce the amount of engine power taken away so people can have a chance to speed out. But in all honesty scout or strike can easily cripple a gunship and force them to move around which is most devastating for commet breaker/dustmaker and quarel/mangler. There are guides to flying around gunships i recommend you use them i harass gunships when the other team is full of them with a novadive or a flash. Speed + Arcing angle = gg gunship.
Give Us New GSF Maps
Tachyon(s)/Alpha Triage(pub)/Void(imp) from Ebon Hawk
7 days of free subscription and character transfer for subs and returners

Verain
07.06.2017 , 07:19 PM | #20
Thanks for making the posts. Now lock this thread so the discussion actually happens there instead of genforum :P

Edit: Although I guess I'm happy to copy-paste all my responses into this thread, if needs be.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."