[need advice] how to get back a node in dominion?

Kacynski

Yeah, I am on my way to get a grip a GSF and start to hold my own in TDM. I also got the basics down in Dominion, but as soon as there are above decent pilots on the other side I am sorta lost (as it should be with a rookie against aces). Now, I try to improve myself but so far I have no real idea on how to deal best with a captured node in dominion:

- either the guard satellites get me or defending ships get me if I try to close in in a Scout

- if I try to clean the mess from a distance with a gunship any smart player will move out of LOS, forcing me to reposition and probably drawing attention from others

I play only solo cue so there is no group effort involved which would obviously a much better approach, but what is the best way one can do just alone?

The turrets shouldn't be much of a problem unless you fly a bomber. Just switch all power to cannons or shields and charge them head on. It is also recommended to use a damage increase from ether systems or co-pilot if available

In your post, you said that you fly a gunship (quarrel I hope). With a GS, you can actually turn the turrets to your advantage by upgrading ion rail gun to AOE, charge it to full blast, and fire on any hostile objects. Since most of them, turrets, drones, and mines, are stationary, it is very unlikely to miss, and you will end up taking out everyone in the vicinity. Ion rail gun will strip all ships in that area of their shield, engine, and cannon power for 6 seconds. Simply follow up with a damage rail gun. This tactic will even work if you are dueling an enemy GS and they pop distortion field. Ion aoe has 100% hit chance, and their rail charge will fire prematurely.

The second, less cowardly method is to fly the tier 2 scout (my main ship.) Equip it with burst laser cannons, and blaster overcharge system. This combo is optimal for close range dogfights, and you will have a natural advantage against anyone else using another type of cannon. I also advise to use distortion field for shield component to deal with turret fire. The only ship that will cause you trouble in this matchup is another tier 2 scout.

You can take out mines with cluster missiles or rocket pods at max range. Drones, you can charge head on because they die in 2 shots. Bombers are pretty much a free kill unless they catch you by surprise or are backed up by some buddies.

One last thing, for the engine component, always go with barrel roll. Use it as often as possible en route to the satellite. It allows you to take out the turrets, die, respawn, and make it back fast enough to block the turrets from respawning.

I've found some success assaulting satellites in my Pike, unless they're defended by a (good) gunship or multiple bombers. 7700 meter range on Conc and EMP missiles, and 6900 meters on Heavy Lasers let me outrange the turrets, so either the defenders come out to meet me, or I pick off their turrets first. If there's multiple defenders, usually only one or two will boost out to meet me, in which case I can usually deal with them first (mastered Concs are a nasty thing once you've figured out how to land them). Assaulting a satellite tends to force a head-to-head encounter, which I rarely lose in my Pike, since I can put Directional Shields forward, and the fact that I can start shooting from several thousand meters beyond most enemies' weapons means that I start out with a huge advantage. Once they're dealt with, I can clear out the turrets (w/ the armor ignore, Heavy Lasers kill them in 2-3 hits). Any satellite humpers that are left can be a pain to clear out, but I've gotten pretty good w/ Heavies up close.

If there are 3 or more defenders, and they all come out to meet me before I reach the node, I just barrel roll away and try a different node. But the biggest issue is definitely bombers - if there are 2-3 remotely competent bombers on the node, you're gonna need half your team to flip the node. If there are 4, it just isn't going to happen.

There is no best way to solo capture an enemy held node that is being guarded by a superior force. Just because you queued solo doesn't make it a solo activity. GSF is a team activity. Coordinate with your teammates to capture the node.

I was not very clear with my posting. I don't intend to be able to singlehandedly take a node back. With referring to solo cue I just wanted to point out that voice chat, coordinated changing of crafts and so on are out of question.

OFC this is a team game, what I am looking for is advice like this: "if you see your team's scouts do this, then maybe you want to get in a GS and do that to support them"

I find that typing in chat and communicating with the team is even more difficult in GSF than in ground pvp so to set up coordinated attacks in a PUG game is really hard (imho). What I am trying to do is "reading" my teams behavior and try to match their moves (if I can make out a coordinated approach).

Edit: thanks at the very helpful advise to the two posters above, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Edited by Kacynski

Usefull things to know.

- Fully upgraded heavy lasers are THE BEST for killing turrets because of 100% armor ignore.

- If you are in contest range of a satellite no turrets will spawn. you do have to kill off the current ones though.

- Flying under the satellite at Paint on the hull range at medium-full throttle is the best defense against missiles.

- Bombers + GS can lock down a node and only a team effort can retake it, get on /ops and make it happen.

- If a node is mined EMP scouts are a great option.

teamwork is usually the best bet. the only time you really need to race off the cap ship is at the start. when respawning, take a second to look at the minimap, see where your teammates are headed and tag along.

the gunship's Ion Railgun is the single best weapon to clear out a cluster of mines, drones & enemies. fire off a couple of fully charged shots against a turret or drone and you'll shred the shields and drain the power of the nubs huddled underneath the sat.

Even when you queue solo, it is good to watch what your team is doing. If it is a group of nutjobs, well, sorry, better luck next game. But if you see some basic organization, you can join the efforts.

Check the area. If you see enemy node but don't detect any enemies nearby, you can go and try to capture solo. Shoot one turret at a time and make sure to kill it before proceeding. Try to kill them as fast as you can so you don't suffer too much damage.

If you detect enemies guarding a node but nobody from your team attacks, don't go solo, instead look around what your mates are dealing with. Maybe they are defending another node from heavy enemy attack? Go help them sort it out.

If you detect enemies guarding a node with one or two of your mates attacking, go and help. Turrets are priority one. If your ally(ies) die and there are still living enemies, don't be afraid to chicken out.

Being alone in battlefield is usually a death wish. If your confidence gets too high you can go and try your luck, but usually you will have way more success if you join forces with at least one ally, voice comm or not. You can, like, take charge of defending that one gunship guy. Or the bomber. Don't leave their side, repel attackers and try to ensure their safety. That's also very efficient way of teamplay, and you may even get a "thanks" whisper at the end of a fight.

Edited by Slivovidze

Even when you queue solo, it is good to watch what your team is doing. If it is a group of nutjobs, well, sorry, better luck next game. But if you see some basic organization, you can join the efforts.

Check the area. If you see enemy node but don't detect any enemies nearby, you can go and try to capture solo. Shoot one turret at a time and make sure to kill it before proceeding. Try to kill them as fast as you can so you don't suffer too much damage.

If you detect enemies guarding a node but nobody from your team attacks, don't go solo, instead look around what your mates are dealing with. Maybe they are defending another node from heavy enemy attack? Go help them sort it out.

If you detect enemies guarding a node with one or two of your mates attacking, go and help. Turrets are priority one. If your ally(ies) die and there are still living enemies, don't be afraid to chicken out.

Being alone in battlefield is usually a death wish. If your confidence gets too high you can go and try your luck, but usually you will have way more success if you join forces with at least one ally, voice comm or not. You can, like, take charge of defending that one gunship guy. Or the bomber. Don't leave their side, repel attackers and try to ensure their safety. That's also very efficient way of teamplay, and you may even get a "thanks" whisper at the end of a fight.

There is an alternate strategy though: if you are good and can survive for a while, attacking an enemy sat solo can draw off enemy fighters to come and deal with your threat. If you can pull at least 2 enemies to fight you, then you've given your team an edge on the rest of the battlefield. I find this useful if one sat has become a stalemate.

This doesn't work so well when one is a bomber, of course, since going evasive against enemy ships just means mines and drones will kill you.

Edited by ptwonline

This is really great advice in general, to be honest. The mini-map is a HUGE wealth of information about what's going on in the battlefield. Refer to it often in flight, as well as when spawning. It will let you know what your mates are doing, and help you figure out how best you might be able to help them.

Post 2.6, the mines and sentries (along with the basic defense turrets) will make your life a living hell if you try to go clean out a fortified sat alone in a type 2 scout. And you've got half the gunship equation right in your lede post. A very effective way is indeed to clear things out with upgraded Ion rail, but there's a caveat. Not always, but usually you need 1-2 of your buddies to go in and clear everything else after you popped all the mines and shields of everything. At which point, the GS swaps to a support role, and is looking for incoming that might mess with your friends.

TDM is something you can get away with flying absolutely solo at times, and as long as you're careful. Domination requires at least minimal coordination against a set of skilled pilots. You don't need voice, so much as you need to see what your mates are doing, at which point, you can join them in an appropriate way (support/defense or attack their targets).

Looking at the minimap is also a good way to clue yourself in on a node that might be unprotected by actual ships as well. If, for instance, your team has A, and there's a little action, but not a lot, and there are already 2 of your mates over there defending, and then there's an absolute cluster at B with 4-7 from either team, but you see no info about C, a quick headcount of enemy icons can clue you as to whether C (which they are holding in this scenario) might be open.

If it is, then you can fly over there and start to whittle away the defenses (pick your attack angles to be advantageous, though). Ideally, people on your team will notice and come help, but a worst case scenario there is that the other team comes over to save their sat, and the shift in parts to chase you off lets your team grab B.

Even if it's defended, you can peel off once you're sure and help your mates at B.

There's nothing wrong with sacrificing yourself in GSF if it serves a valid purpose. But you also need to be able to figure out when it's a lost cause, and you should just focus on keeping 1 satellite and not worry about the rest. No offense to anyone, but if your team is garbage, your team is garbage, and you should just focus on getting all the awards, req, xp, and credits that you can out of the match.

Turrets by themselves aren't a problem for any ship class other than perhaps some bombers. Use the body of the sat to LOS one or two of the turrets, get to ideal range for your weapons setup (outside turret range for most strikes and gunships, boost right up on top of them for most scouts) and fire away. Then head around the perimeter of the sat and nail the other two turrets if they are up.

Where you'll run into problems:

Flying in a straight line to shoot at turrets makes you a perfect target for any other starfighter in the area. So make sure the area is empty of hostiles or that they are busy doing something else before you try this. Gunships can handle most other craft by shooting them down (or forcing them to run) before getting the turrets. Scouts and strikes will often find it best to boost in, kill one turret, and then boost out again to a safe distance to regen energy and deal with any pursuit that may have left the sat. Then head in for the next turret, which should be easier because at least one is down now so it's easier to use the sat for LOS and take the other two turrets one at a time.

Gunships parked on sats. Very dangerous to any non-gunship if turrets are up. If you're in a gunship then it's gunship duel time. Hope that you're better than they are. If you're not in a gunship you have a few options. You can try to boost in using the sat to LOS the gunship and then come around and hit it (hopefully from the side or behind). If you're lucky (and they're not a good gunship pilot) they'll run for it and you can hunt them down outside of turret range. If they're good and sit tight (and they didn't kill you with burst laser cannons when you tried to flush them) then the best option is to get a really good gunship pilot on your team to take care of them. If you insist on still trying to do something, and aren't getting effective help from teammates, then you can try using the sat body to LOS the gunship and 1-2 turrets so that you can deal with turrets one at a time. It's a pretty hazardous thing to try though.

Mined sats. Ion railgun aoe's, EMP weapons/systems, outnumbering the opponents. If you are really good and have mid to long range weapons you may also be able to clear out a bomber or two with normal anti-sat-humper dogfighting as long as you remember that mines and drones are high priority targets.