Name change?

Crimsonorion

So I wanted to change the name of my new toon, to that of one of my old toons. So I got a name change, changed Toon A to a different name, then got on Toon B and changed the name to Toon A and... "Name not available" I highly doubt someone picked it in the 10 seconds between the name change, and its not a name someone would pick. Is their a time when a name is locked? Like I have to wait X minutes before I can use that name again. I did it before on another toon, changed Toon C to something else, then Toon D to that name. So whats going on?

What I thought to, but I just did it to another toon. Changed the first one, and renamed the second to that name with no issue. The original name I tried different variants, accent marks, adding - or ' to it and they all came back at "Unavailable" I put in a ticket but I'm thinking the original name had something..."wrong" with it. But since it was made years ago it never got changed. And now that I freed the name up and tried to use it the game kicks it back. Like some..swear word or something that it thinks I'm trying to say. I won't say the name for obvious reasons, but if it has a swear word of some kind..I don't see it lol

I highly doubt someone picked it in the 10 seconds between the name change, and its not a name someone would pick.

The chance of it happening is *small*, but it isn't zero, obviously.

I put in a ticket but I'm thinking the original name had something..."wrong" with it.

"Unavailable" means exactly that, that it's not available for you because someone else slid in and got it. If it was barred by the automated name rules, you'd be told that it was "Invalid".

Given that you tried various combinations with accents and hyphens and apostrophes, I would say that your supposition that "it's not a name someone would pick" is fundamentally flawed. Obviously a bunch of someones have picked it, and have stomped, collectively, on all the variations you tried.

How old was the original name? You may have been able to use that name before they updated their name policy a few years ago. And now when you try to use it, it results in 'Name Unavailable".

No. "Unavailable" means someone else has it. If the name is blocked by the automated rules, it shows as "Invalid".

No. "Unavailable" means someone else has it. If the name is blocked by the automated rules, it shows as "Invalid".

Well, gee Steve, maybe when they added names to the unavailable list they also changed the error text associated with them. I've done what the OP describes numerous times and the name releases instantaneously. I've also tried to use names that were previously available (because they were being held by myself) and suddenly were "unavailable" after the name policy change. I was simply asking him how old the name was because used names were not grandfathered into the policy. I know from my own experience.

Edited by kodrac

Well, gee Steve, maybe when they added names to the unavailable list they also changed the error text associated with them. I've done what the OP describes numerous times and the name releases instantaneously. I've also tried to use names that were previously available (because they were being held by myself) and suddenly were "unavailable" after the name policy change. I was simply asking him how old the name was because used names were not grandfathered into the policy. I know from my own experience.

No. The last time I tripped over a blocked name (blocked by policy, that is) was when I got "Flopialis" as output from the random generator, and my internal voice said "Floppy Alice". The name policy blocked that as "Invalid" but accepted "Floppy Alyce".

That was a year ago, just over.