I will pay Bioware $1,000 US for a playable Rodian species

ComradeDima

- They're seen speaking basic in the Clone Wars series

- Their model is already in the game

- At most, you'd just have to run the existing player dialogue through a modulator, like helmets already do

All arguments against this have been completely subjective, e.g. "b-but I don't like Rodians!" or "eeeew, the romance would be yuckyyyy!"

Please, Bioware. Do it for Greedo. There's no reason not to.

inb4 more subjective arguments based on personal preferences :rod_angel_g:

It is not that rodian romance is gross, it is the graphics issues. when a rodian PC would kiss a companion the beak/snout would go through the companion's face and protrude from the companion's waddle (under the chin). It would require a MASSIVE undertaking to remap the kissing scenes.

Up your bid to $250,000 and that might cover the costs involved.

also a Rodian speaking basic in Rebels is probably an exception to the rule (The empire probably forced that Rodian to learn basic) just like Dr O. the Hutt speaking basic.

In EU legends there is a wookiee that speaks basic (it's a "speech impediment"). Does that mean wookiees are now a viable playable species? NO!

Edited by psandak

It is not that rodian romance is gross, it is the graphics issues. when a rodian PC would kiss a companion the beak/snout would go through the companion's face and protrude from the companion's waddle (under the chin). It would require a MASSIVE undertaking to remap the kissing scenes.

Up your bid to $250,000 and that might cover the costs involved.

also a Rodian speaking basic in Rebels is probably an exception to the rule (The empire probably forced that Rodian to learn basic) just like Dr O. the Hutt speaking basic.

In EU legends there is a wookiee that speaks basic (it's a "speech impediment"). Does that mean wookiees are now a viable playable species? NO!

In one of the non-canon books, Shadows of the Empire I think, they reveal that Jabba could, in fact speak Basic, he and many other choose not to as a matter of racial pride and as a power move. There's also Ziro from The Clone Wars...

Anyway it seems that almost every character is multilingual, even if they don't speak Basic. Everyone in the game (Including the Rakata who've probably never even HEARD Basic, and vice versa) understands everyone else enough to hold bilingual conversations. To my knowledge there's never been any equivalent of Trek's universal translator mentioned in Star Wars Lore.

- They're seen speaking basic in the Clone Wars series

- Their model is already in the game

- At most, you'd just have to run the existing player dialogue through a modulator, like helmets already do

All arguments against this have been completely subjective, e.g. "b-but I don't like Rodians!" or "eeeew, the romance would be yuckyyyy!"

Please, Bioware. Do it for Greedo. There's no reason not to.

inb4 more subjective arguments based on personal preferences :rod_angel_g:

I don't think there are models for meshes 2 (athletic), 3 (muscular), or 4 (curvy?) for either male or female. And I mean for the faces. They subtly change.

And in addition to cut scene mishaps, I don't think applying a voice modular for just a species is feasible. It's possible but probably not worth the effort. In the end, it'd be a sloppy job. I'll pass on that.

• 2 years later...
A grand is probably about right for development of playable character models in a normal functioning game where the devs have coders and actually understand the code and engine they are working with. Thats famously not the case here.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. $1000 pays for 50 hours of work at $20 an hour, and $20 an hour is $40K annually. I don't know much about salaries for game art designers, but $40K feels low to me. Let's mark it up to account for that...

At $80K annually, $40/hour, that grand pays for 25 hours of work, three working days.

The reality is somewhere in between, most likely, so let's propose *one* five-day eight-hours-per-day week, paid at $25 per hour including stupid stuff like payroll taxes, electricity to run the art designer's PC, lighting, etc.

Do you really think that setting up and testing *all* parts of a new species, even in the mostest idealest of cases, will take the equivalent of one person working for one week?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. $1000 pays for 50 hours of work at $20 an hour, and $20 an hour is $40K annually. I don't know much about salaries for game art designers, but $40K feels low to me. Let's mark it up to account for that...

At $80K annually, $40/hour, that grand pays for 25 hours of work, three working days.

The reality is somewhere in between, most likely, so let's propose *one* five-day eight-hours-per-day week, paid at $25 per hour including stupid stuff like payroll taxes, electricity to run the art designer's PC, lighting, etc.

Do you really think that setting up and testing *all* parts of a new species, even in the mostest idealest of cases, will take the equivalent of one person working for one week?

Yes, close enough.

• 2 weeks later...
dont give greed any advice please.

allso trandoshans and rodians please.

Only issue with Trandoshans is then people would be griping that their gloves and boots "didn't show up".

Used to have the same complaints in SWG.

However I would love a trandoshan. Or a rodian. Even a sullustan would be nice!

But what I really want is an Ithorian.

I'd love for Trandoshans or Rodians to be playable but sadly I doubt either is very likely to ever happen. Any new species that is introduced as playable has to be able to fit into existing cutscene content without that content needing to be significantly reworked. That pretty much rules out any species that doesn't have a humanoid face.

The best bets are also species that have some character models in the game already.

That pretty much leaves Devaronians, Weequay, and Chagrians. Maybe Bothans as well, but they have slightly more elongated faces than the others.

You could also see new species introduced that are very close to humans or the more humanoid aliens like Chiss, Rattataki, or Mirialans. Pantorans, Zeltrons, Echani, and Umbarans for example.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Yeah, an estimate of $1,000 is laughably low for adding a race. I imagine it's closer to $100,000 after coding, graphics, animations, voice acting, story updates, Q/A and so on.

However, if they sold it as a $20 upgrade in the Cartel Market, they'd only need 5,000 players to buy it.

I'm sure they could get that many for Rodians, Wookies, and a number of other races.

Of course, those people are probably busy doing other upgrades and bug fixes (I sincerely hope).

Yeah, an estimate of $1,000 is laughably low for adding a race. I imagine it's closer to $100,000 after coding, graphics, animations, voice acting, story updates, Q/A and so on.

For a can-and-usually-does-speak-Basic species, there's no special voice acting to record, and no new species has ever had any new story updates.(1)

(1) Unless they modified Koth and Senya's lines in KotFE Chapter VII when Thea calls The Exalted. They *should* have modified them, especially Senya's(2), but they didn't modify the Stolen Medicines mission on Ord Mantell when they added Cathar(3), so your guess is as good as mine.

(2) "I've never seen a species like that before." If the player is a Nautolan that will sound ever so slightly stupid.

(3) The mission-giver NPC offers the player a careful explanation of what a Cathar is, which sounds a little strange if your character *is* a Cathar.