Whos the bad guys?

Izutah

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's clearly explained and conveyed in every single piece of SW lore... in fact the point is hammered in over and over

Not in this game, and is this game part of the lore or not? Some of the things you witness and hear on Taris, Hoth, and in particular, Belsavis, changed my opinion of the Republic. While not as evil as the Sith, still evil.

Though, to be fair, the OP does not say whether the over all lore, or just this game.

Not in this game, and is this game part of the lore or not? Some of the things you witness and hear on Taris, Hoth, and in particular, Belsavis, changed my opinion of the Republic. While not as evil as the Sith, still evil.

Though, to be fair, the OP does not say whether the over all lore, or just this game.

My apollogies i did refer the op to this game. As we were discussing it.

My apollogies i did refer the op to this game. As we were discussing it.

i was mistaken earlier when i said wookiepedia has the canon story for each class, it doesn't, but the entry's on wookie are the probable canon outcomes for each class. anyway one day there will be a actual canon write up for each class story (like kotor 1, 2) ask yourself honestly, do you think for the canon version of each story in SWTOR the sith warrior will be lightside? do you think the jedi knight will be darkside?

i'll admit that the bounty hunter and the smuggler could be a bit harder to figure out, so i'll come back to those in a minute but i would be shocked if SW, SI, and IA are not darkside, darkside being the bad guys. and JK, JC and trooper being lightside the good guys. now with smuggler and bounty hunter simply look at OT han solo was lightside, ok so he shot greedo (first) but by the end he was a good guy, and bobo fett was a bad guy, if i'm wrong they will be neutral.

in the end the bad guys will still be empire faction and the good guys will still be republic, even in this game

American Graffiti?

THX-1138?

Never seen those. I've only seen Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Red Tails from him. And I didn't say I saw all of his movies. I said that I've liked all of the movies that I've seen from him.

Edited by Aurbere

Imperials are the bad guys. Think of them like the oppressive WW2 nazis, which is how George Lucas thought of them. The common german citizen didn't really see it right away, they were well fed, and had jobs during much of the war. Those in power are evil though.

If you have actually played the game, you will have seen that much like the nazis, the empire had secret facilities to exterminate "inferior" beings. It's not even a matter of point of view it was an evil act, because many german soldiers who took part early on were sickened by the orders of their superior officers, but had no choice in the matter. They could have resisted, and found themselves, along with their families, getting the same treatment as those they murdered. I would imagine there are those in the empire who do not condone similar actions.

If you paid attention to details of the game, you might notice empire propaganda, which closely resembled that of the nazis. Then there are the promises by the empire that if they surrender, in one quest, they will send them home. Of course, that was never their real intention. Just like nazis promising the jews they were being deported, they instead carried them to concentration camps to be experimented upon, starved to death, executed by firing squad, or gassed, and cremated.

Yeah, the empire is no friend to anyone, including their own citizens.

Edited by Hambunctious

Indiana Jones

Wasn't directed by him, and Crystal Skull was horrible because of his input. Indie went from dealing with matters religious and supernatural, to extra-dimensional aliens.

Haven't seen Red Tails, but he wasn't sole director on that (only some post production reshoots), and it hasn't exactly received good reviews, but I can't provide an opinon on it yet.

Edited by Fyurii

Crystal Skull was horrible because of his input. Indie went from dealing with matters religious and supernatural, to extra-dimensional aliens.

1. Way to miss the intentional homage Lucas and Spielberg were making to adventure-serials of the 30's and the sci-fi-serials of the 50's.

2. How come completley unrealistic aliens are somehow worse for Indiana Jones than the completley unrealistic fake religious stuff?

3. Why does no-one hate the fact Indiana Jones fights Commies instead of Nazis? Because that actually made sense given the time period and setting? Exactly like the ancient astronaut aliens do?!

I like Indy 4 but understand why some people might not like it, but seriously, have a legitimate reason for your opinion other than "It's different therefore it sucks".

Wasn't directed by him, and Crystal Skull was horrible because of his input. Indie went from dealing with matters religious and supernatural, to extra-dimensional aliens.

Haven't seen Red Tails, but he wasn't sole director on that (only some post production reshoots), and it hasn't exactly received good reviews, but I can't provide an opinon on it yet.

But he was involved in production and all that good stuff. I liked the movie, it had superstitious stuff in it, but had a good explanation for why they were there. As good an explanation you can make for aliens.

I thought Red Tails was good. It doesn't really matter what reviewers say about a movie or game. It really depends on what the viewer thinks of it and I thought it was good.

Edited by Aurbere

The game you play now is not part of star wars lore. In fact, there is no real star wars lore prior to Episode 1, because that is the point at which Lucas started writing. He is still responsible for approving game content (as he did with SWG), but he also get's paid....

If you don't understand how the Empire is evil you have to watch "A New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" and you will understand. And yes the previous poster was right about Lucas antagonists being based on Nazis...this is true for both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Bioware has fiddled with things by allowing you to play Empire characters , not necessarily a bad thing but it creates confusion among younger players. I remember back when Bioware was promoting the game, and I kept hearing "choose your side". This always sounded odd to me as I did not understand why anybody would want to play the Empire...as they were well known as the bad guys.

In fact, you only have to watch about 5 minutes of "A New Hope" before Darth Vader kills one of his officers :).

• 2 weeks later...
The game you play now is not part of star wars lore. In fact, there is no real star wars lore prior to Episode 1, because that is the point at which Lucas started writing. He is still responsible for approving game content (as he did with SWG), but he also get's paid....

If you don't understand how the Empire is evil you have to watch "A New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" and you will understand. And yes the previous poster was right about Lucas antagonists being based on Nazis...this is true for both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Bioware has fiddled with things by allowing you to play Empire characters , not necessarily a bad thing but it creates confusion among younger players. I remember back when Bioware was promoting the game, and I kept hearing "choose your side". This always sounded odd to me as I did not understand why anybody would want to play the Empire...as they were well known as the bad guys.

In fact, you only have to watch about 5 minutes of "A New Hope" before Darth Vader kills one of his officers :).

This thread Is primarily discussing the empire and republic in SWTOR, so this is irrelevant

Playing as a Light side sith warrior it allows me to see how much imperials actually care for the common folk, becuase of a few evil sith you can't call the entire empire evil. The republic has complete mistrust for imperials and will backstab them before "they get backstabbed themselves" as they claim. Jedi are the worst, (I've played a consular to 50) the jedi way asks us to destroy sith because they follow a different side of the force. In the war in SWTOR, I believe the only good side are parties like the revanites who practice both side and fine the equality in between.

A few Sith? Virtually every Sith ever is evil. And they run the whole Empire. It's an empire with institutionalized slavery, racism, xenophobia and warmongering. And the ruling class of force users have absolute authority and can kill and tortue anyone they please without repercussions and often do. The Jedi don't fight and destroy Sith because they follow a different philosphy of the force, they do so because the sith are evil and a threat to everyone else in the galaxy.

Overall the Republic tries to live after principes I consider good, while the Empire is ruled by a religous cult who favors power above everything else. But that does not make every single citizen of the Empire bad. You can easy compare it with real life nations historical and present. There are nations that at least tries to live after good values equality, freedom etc. Does that make every single citizen of that nation good? Absolutely not. Are every single citizen of a dictatorship evil? Absolutely not.

I usually play good imperial characters because I find it nice to explore what it would be to be born on that side of the fence. The difference between this sith empire and most other sith empires we seen in star wars so far is that this was not recently created by a fallen jedi. The people in the swtor empire were born into it, and have been for generations. My empire charatcers does not like everything their government are doing, but they still have love for their country and the people within it.

1. Way to miss the intentional homage Lucas and Spielberg were making to adventure-serials of the 30's and the sci-fi-serials of the 50's.

Star Wars was the Sci-Fi homage to the sci-fi serials - Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

Indiana Jones homage to the adventure serials.

Indiana Jones dealt with matters more grounded in the "real" world with religious and supernatural thrown in the mix.

No extra-terrestrial or extra-dimensional beings, no sci-fi.

2. How come completley unrealistic aliens are somehow worse for Indiana Jones than the completley unrealistic fake religious stuff?

Because they took already existing religious and mythological matters from the real world as inspiration for the Indie films, and kept it mostly grounded in the real world. The fantastical stuff only comes into play with the actual relics themselves - The Ark of the covenant burning the nazi swastika on the crate it was inside of, (a prelude to the climax of the movie) and the opening of the Ark itself.

I had no problem with anything else in Crystal Skull except for bloody aliens from another dimension, and the crystal skulls being alien heads!

3. Why does no-one hate the fact Indiana Jones fights Commies instead of Nazis? Because that actually made sense given the time period and setting?

Bingo

Exactly like the ancient astronaut aliens do?!

Exactly like they don't. They don't fit with an Indiana Jones movie.

They even went as far as changing the look of the crystal skulls to alien skulls, instead of human skulls, just so they could be extra-dimensional aliens.

I like Indy 4 but understand why some people might not like it, but seriously, have a legitimate reason for your opinion other than "It's different therefore it sucks".

It's not that it's different, it's that Lucas was allowed to go too far.

Again, turning the crystal skulls into alien skulls and these aliens being from another dimension. Too much sci-fi in an Indiana Jones movie, instead of mythological and/or supernatural.

It would be like if the remake of Clash of The Titans had the gods of Olympus being originally humans who were elevated to god-hood by "mystical beings that landed on their world in a strange metallic boat", and the Titans being lab experiments gone wrong. Pulling sci-fi out of the writer's backsides just to "jazz things up".

Hell, using Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis for the movie would have been better. Swap out the Nazis for Soviets and there you go!

Better yet, Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine - Already has the Soviets in it!

Edited by Fyurii

Star Wars was the Sci-Fi homage to the sci-fi serials - Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

Indiana Jones homage to the adventure serials.

Indiana Jones dealt with matters more grounded in the "real" world with religious and supernatural thrown in the mix.

No extra-terrestrial or extra-dimensional beings, no sci-fi.

No, the original 3 Indiana Jones were a homage to adventure serials, and Indy 4 was an intentional homage to sci-fi serials from the 50's - because it takes place in the 50's. That's why there are Commies and aliens in it. Like I said, way to miss the point they were making.

The Sith code doesn't have to be interpreted as it it and the emotions that power them don't have to be destructive. That being said, even my sith think that much of what the empire does is evil, and while they don't know everything the knights do, think that the galaxy might be better off without the emperor.

Still, there's good and bad on both sides. The republic commits atrocities, they just feel bad about it. Crime is rampant, society is fragmented, and it's rife with internal rebellions which kill thousands, or so it seems. The empire is virtually free of those things (except atrocities), but at the cost of freedom. While many in the empire seem irredeemably bad, the republic seem like hypocrites,and the jedi try to live up to a standard that's doomed to failure since it goes so utterly against human nature

It seems to me that there must be some middle ground between the two that's both more right and more honest.

I really don't think it's fair to say crime is rampant and their are constant internal rebellions. General Garza mentions that most of Coruscant is safe and it's only the handful of sectors you visit that are problems. In fact if anything, I think the Empire has more (but usually smaller ones) because they often subjugate worlds. They also have slave rebellions So much so that there are branches of the Sith and Imperial military specifically dedicated to putting them down. Edited by OldVengeance

I really don't think it's fair to say crime is rampant and their are constant internal rebellions. General Garza mentions that most of Coruscant is safe and it's only the handful of sectors you visit that are problems. In fact if anything, I think the Empire has more (but usually smaller ones) because they often subjugate worlds. They also have slave rebellions So much so that there are branches of the Sith and Imperial military specifically dedicated to putting them down.

The rebellions are actually stated by a SIS agent in the knight storyline, and we see Ord Mantell. All you have to do is compare the two stations, Corruscant and Dromund Kaas to see the crime aspect. I don't think that's a reach. As far as I remember, we only have one slave rebellion, instigated purposely by a sith. Hmm...better refresh my memory about there being a specific branch of the military? I don't recall that.

It's all relative. Alot of imperials hate the republic because of the atrocities it committed against them. Check the holorecords. The biggest reason the empire returned was because it was brutally wronged by the republic in the first place.

Granted the government is full of backstabbing, aggressive maniacs, but most of the citizens seem content regardless. Both sides have their rebellions, but from what I've seen most of the republics came from before the war, from people who weren't happy with the government that had been ruling them, while the Empire's rebellion are mostly groups of people who aren't crazy about the change without even giving it a chance.

Commit an infraction in the Empire and you die. Commit an infraction in the Republic you get a slap on the wrist. It is like comparing the US to Nazi Germany.

Or you could get sent to a secret prison planet and put in stasis for decades because you were a political dissident who hadn't even broken any laws...

It would be like if the remake of Clash of The Titans had the gods of Olympus being originally humans who were elevated to god-hood by "mystical beings that landed on their world in a strange metallic boat", and the Titans being lab experiments gone wrong.

Sorry to hijack, but have you ever read Lord of Light? I couldn't help but think of that when you made that analogy. A bunch of colonists with advanced technology re-create old Earth religions on a new planet.