Cinematic + expansion Vs No Cinematic and expansion

Eshvara

Maybe I'm just tinfoil hatting, but the SoR and RoTHC​ both didn't have any trailers, yet the game itself came with plenty of things that I'd say are expansion worthy. We had a pretty fleshed out planet, I think the story had a different feeling as well, although I did not like RoTHC's story personally. But SoR was good and I liked everything about that expansion.

KoTFE and KoTET both did have trailers, and I wouldn't trade them for anything today, especially KoTFE's trailer. (/Swoon):rak_03: but the expansions were lacking in many ways and we got a bit less of, well, everything. With what team blur asks for their amazing trailers it would make sense (to me) that if taken out of the expansion budget, the game would have less credits to work with.

We just didn't really get any of the things the previous expansions offered, with the exception of a few things.

Now I know we all really enjoy the trailers and they are always well received, but what I'm wondering if you rather do without and have a "proper" expansion or do you still wish to have the trailers because of how amazing they all were?

So far at least, whether it matters or not in the future, it does seem to be an either or thing.

Thoughts?

PS: I do wish we could have seen Revan in a trailer, his character deserved one so bad! And well, given the story they gave his character, it would have been redeeming imo.:rak_03:

Also, I'm not stating anything I said as fact when it comes to the whole money issue, it just was something I noticed.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

Do you still think we're getting an expansion this year?

If there was a big major expansion planned for this year, I think we would have heard about it by now, especially considering that right around Thanksgiving, the studio pretty much goes on break for the remainder of the year.

If a major expansion is planned, the earliest I can see it happening is Spring 2018, and that's an "if an expansion is planned".

As a current player a $5M cinematic is not worth it. That's 20-30 good FTEs for a year or more that could be putting out content if the budget went from marketing to development.

KOTFE did rake in some new subs, albeit short term. And one would have to put some ROI on the trailer (vs. just movie excitement). But MMOs should be about player retention not short term cash grabs so it probably didn't work out long term (hence the reversal in game design).

As a current player a $5M cinematic is not worth it. That's 20-30 good FTEs for a year or more that could be putting out content if the budget went from marketing to development.

KOTFE did rake in some new subs, albeit short term. And one would have to put some ROI on the trailer (vs. just movie excitement). But MMOs should be about player retention not short term cash grabs so it probably didn't work out long term (hence the reversal in game design).

Not everyone who came back to the game for Kotfe/Kotet was short term! I adored them, still do, and still here hopeful for more story expansions.

In saying that, I a ok with however they do story expansions (kotfe/kotet chapter styles or full planet exploration) so long as exisiting companions play a part and missing LIs get a return/reunion.

We'll be lucky to get a full on expansion now to be honest.

I can see us getting something released in chunks.

Full? No.

As far as Cinematic vs. No Cinematic. If they'd put the money they spent on the CGI into actual game development, not creating more micro-transactions, we'd maybe be back on course to what I'd call salvaging the game. We just don't need it at this point. We need content, content, content. And we need them to hire more staff if they truly plan on keeping SWTOR going on anything the playerbase won't consider having development on auto-pilot.

I'd still like a new Star Wars mmorpg more relevant to the material Disney is putting out now. IE... the first Star Wars mmorpg to take place during the major movies being released. I think it'll happen too. I just don't know what it looks like from the business end. IE... will Disney wait till sometime after 2020 to pursue another Star Wars mmorpg... or are they already working it with EA/Bioware right now? The straight answer is... we don't know and they really couldn't tell us if they were.

So, current SWTOR. No thanks. No more cinematics please. Just spend that money on in game content and use the staff to "phone in" voice overs if need be. Go old school mmorpg with it. Don't waste it on costly cgi. A new Star Wars mmorpg? Well, depends on the style... sandbox... or like this... a themepark. Either way, a new Star Wars mmorpg will most assuredly need at least a launch cinematic.

Trailers mean nothing to me, even for a game I am considering playing, it's advertising and not real.

So yes, dump that add the budget the game that lasts longer that 15 seconds.

I take this back, I have come to understand that if there is no trailer the "2 bosses" will become unemployed and may never return. :D

Be careful what you wish for.

I take this back, I have come to understand that if there is no trailer the "2 bosses" will become unemployed and may never return. :D

Be careful what you wish for.

Indeed. Raiders are ultra-nerds anyway. Who needs 'em.:D

The sub fees are being spent on ladies of low virtue and blow anyway.

Edited by orangenee