Fix flamethrower please.

Zixus

Being stationary during the whole channel is nothing more then devastating in PvP.

With so many talents invested to power Fth its so useless when we cant use it on any class that moves more then a few yards. If we for some reason DO use it against a range and hope to get 1 or 2 ticks on him we have no gap closer to get back in melee range again... and no, a 45 sec grip isnt what i call a gap closer. We cant even slow targets at all...

In PvE Fth works pretty ok, but in pvp i rarely find chance to use it due to the movement restriction. It works good with electro dart but a 1 min cd shouldnt be need to make a 15 sec CD viable.

I actually want a core/signature ability to be viable pretty much all the time, i want to be able to rely on such abilites.. even more so since powertech is a melee class, and casting/channel time abilites as a melee have never worked well in any game before.

Take warrior slam ability in wow as example.. even thou you could keep mobile during channel, had snare and gap closers it was still a broken ability not used. I dont know any other game where they tried to make a melee class "casting" viable.

Our snare is 2/2 Sweltering Heat, which combined with 3/3 Bursting Flame - necessary to get to Sweltering Heat - gives Flame Burst a 100% chance to snare for 50% movement speed.

And while using combustile cylinder you dont get "Prototype cylinder ventilation" ability that is pretty much mandatory... even with it you reach 100 heat in no time while spaming flame burst.. wich you will pretty much have to since the snare is so low duration.

Though, I was hoping they'd import warhammer's moving while channeled for similar attacks as flamethrower, flamethrower still has some very significant uses in PVP. It's not an aoe you can indiscriminantly throw around. It's solid aoe damage when Death from Above is on cooldown. It's fairly useful for a powertech since they're forced into close combat range of the flamethrower. In Huttball, the platforms force your opponents in tight clusters (especially if they're running the ball). You can easily flamethrower to soften up targets, get a few kills, and generally make it miserable to be a healer. With some distraction and/or CC you can get full duration and full damage out of flamethrower.

Personally I have to say Flamethrower is just fine. Of course I only see it from my POV which is PvE centric. Based upon the fact that the whole game is PvE centric I doubt you can balance the skills toward PvP (which is just a small portion of the game) wihtout destroying the PvE part of the skills.

On a side note...I think it works just as intended. Ever seen anyone weilding a flamethrower run around while using it? ;)

*shrug*

Edited by Markyr

You all realize you can spin around in place with flamethrower for greater AoE correct? :D

As for moving with it, seems unecessary, thats what the flameburst(name its the insta-cast one) skill is for. When I use my FThrower i'm in my melee mode and I usually deploy my bubble sheild for added def. There are a talents in the sheild tech tree that reduce the cool down on it, and it's really best used by a BH tank/sheildtech,

Quick follow up, I think flamethrower is kind of a defensive ability best used by a sheild tech power tech BH, a merc shouldn't stand still that long, and doesnt belong in melee range, they are mid - long range. While a power tech is mid-melee and then in PVP the flamethrower will make people run away usually if you are playing the class well.

PvE I have no complaints I can stack stupid mobs up to aoe, in pvp it's a different story completely as pvp is inherently very mobile.

Problem occurs when you get up close and personal to use it, people are starting to know abilities and simply move out of it, the longer the games out the less effective/useful it will be in pvp as people learn you can simply move out of range, or run through the BH forcing him to turn.

Any inherently mobile class makes it doubly useless.

It's just as bad as giving a pure ranged class only instant nuke ability's, honestly a channeled stationary melee range ability that you have to close the distance with someone to use it, then hope they dont mind standing there on a core combat ability is just .. /facepalm?

Of course I only see it from my POV which is PvE centric. Based upon the fact that the whole game is PvE centric I doubt you can balance the skills toward PvP (which is just a small portion of the game) \QUOTE]

Not to be argumentative, but your making a big assumption for the rest of us.

I for one enjoy a good written PvE experience in MMO's but I play MMO's for the PvP.

So for me, and many of my friends/guildies MMO's are just another way to get the PvP we crave (when not getting player killin done in CoD MW3), and well written PvE content makes the forced PvE to level and gear up tolerable.

The truth is, no matter how amazing a game Bioware has created (and they have me very happy so far) a star wars MMO without PvP simply can't compete with the visceral experience provided by games like "The Force unleashed" or KoToR, etc.

So at least half if not more of the people play these MMO's for the community aspect, and a large part of that aspect is being able to stomp a mudhole in someones @ss in online player vs player.

If I was wrong, why would almost every pvp server have a huge que during peak hours and most of the available servers with no que's are PvE????

Soule

Being stationary during the whole channel is nothing more then devastating in PvP.

With so many talents invested to power Fth its so useless when we cant use it on any class that moves more then a few yards. If we for some reason DO use it against a range and hope to get 1 or 2 ticks on him we have no gap closer to get back in melee range again... and no, a 45 sec grip isnt what i call a gap closer. We cant even slow targets at all...

In PvE Fth works pretty ok, but in pvp i rarely find chance to use it due to the movement restriction. It works good with electro dart but a 1 min cd shouldnt be need to make a 15 sec CD viable.

Well Shield Tech has a slow, gap closing charge and more immobilizing abilities/talents. You may not have the same damage as AP but you gain more survivability and utility.

I'm guessing your AP?