Was Revan handled right? (Honest Opinion)

Neltronluur

Yes and no. He had been locked in stasis, fighting a mental war with Vitiate for 300 years. Now, Jeff Bennett doing his voice was outstanding.

His motives in Foundry were good, but his methods were 100% Dark Side. Ending the war was a great motive. Unfortunately, killing nearly every man, woman, and child in the Empire was not the way to go about it. Revan should have seen that, but he was blinded by his insanity.

Now, without proper backstory on what happens to him between Jedi Prisoner and Foundry, we have nothing to go on as to WHY he went completely off his rocker again. There are several story hiccups along the way. Malgus saying Revan was "released" obviously wasn't true, if we go off the Jedi Prisoner FP. What happened when he went to Tython? How did he react to seeing his great great great great great granddaughter as Grandmaster of the Jedi Order? None of these questions have been answered.

Jedi Prisoner was good. Foundry was hack work.

Just my view.

Yep.

He was best treated as a tragic character from start to finish and got some poetic justice imo.

Did not make him too eccentric outside of his given qualities and did not make him too subtle imo.

Did not exaggerate his character nor role but did not diminish his significance.

Simply put, I read a biography of his life and his end and read something human about it, with real humanity in it.

Just my two cents.

I think Drew and Bioware completely tore apart the whole KotOR franchise and sacrificed it just so they could sell more copies of SWTOR.

Yeah, that's about the size of it. To expand on my admittedly flippant first comment, and in part to respond to Captain Zone's more thorough commentary -- Revan may have been handled well enough within SWTOR, but in my view his story was already butchered by the Revan novel. I have no objection to the voice acting or the dialogue in Flashpoint content.

he was handled fine, one of the reoccuring themes in SW of late that's really been pushed, (one I suspect comes straight from the top) is that there is no grey side, and those who straddle it tend to fall. we've seen this with Jacen Solo, and now the poster boy for the "Grey fallacy" Revan himself.

if you simply accept that as a result of his imprisonment Revan had simply fallen to the dark side something he was skirting for ages anyway, it makes sense

Can you elaborate a tiny bit more, I'm just curious as all not standoffish :)

The Revan novel was not only rushed, it tore apart the Exile's character and made her into just another generic Jedi, Revan himself wasn't elaborated upon at all and the chance to have him be that epic 'do what must be done' type character was thrown out in favour of hyping up Sidious 2.0.

Not only that but T3 looked like a set-walker the whole time, practically everything in KotOR II was ignored entirely, and the repeated attempts to demean the exile in favour of Revan in Drew's "My character's better than your's" way throughout the whole novel was so forced down your throat I almost felt sick reading it.

Even worse was the ending and the obvious way in which Drew went about it, he literally sat there and thought to himself: 'How can I keep Revan alive for three hundred years so we have an excuse to put him in a game he has no business being a part of?' so he killed off the other main character and in a way that made her look even worse than he'd portrayed her throughout the novel, she was meant to be a powerful Jedi Master not Revan's padawan learner.

Then when we see Revan in the game he's just another madman for the Imps to put down.

Ah, this is a thread about whether or not Revan was handled right. I thought it was a thread about whether or not he was right handed. This is less dumb a question.

Revan is not

Unfortunately, the Emperor isn't

Edited by Invictos

Having Revan in the game didn't really make sense. I think it was just another way for them to sell the game to the "Revan fanboys'. I didn't like the book either for two reasons. 1. The exile was turned into some Jedi chump that couldn't sense the Scourge of the galaxy from backstabbing her. 2. They killed T3-M4, the best little droid in the galaxy. I haven't wanted to play either KOTOR games because I know where the end is and the end is not good. Poor little T3.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Having Revan in the game didn't really make sense. I think it was just another way for them to sell the game to the "Revan fanboys'. I didn't like the book either for two reasons. 1. The exile was turned into some Jedi chump that couldn't sense the Scourge of the galaxy from backstabbing her. 2. They killed T3-M4, the best little droid in the galaxy. I haven't wanted to play either KOTOR games because I know where the end is and the end is not good. Poor little T3.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I do see where you are coming from, in fact I can definitely see both sides of the arguement.

I didn't really like bioware using Revan as an opponent for imperial players (one reason I dont do empire). But I am looking forward to knowing what happens to him after the foundry (he didn't die).

Now, I also saw some people complaining about how Meetra was handled here, and I'd like to say my opinion. I thought karpyshyn did great with the book. To be honest, I was actually shocked because the way she was in the book was almost completely how I thought she was in the game.The game made her seem like she was loyal to the Jedi Revan. The one thing I was worried about was I thought she might get between Revan and Bastila, and that didn't happen. Meetra was also just as bad*** as she was in the book as she always was in the game. Taking on 3 members of the emperor's guard at once and winning with hardly a scratch? If u played either of the jedi classes u know how tough those guys are. Also, as too how she died, I looked at it as that was the only way she and Revan could have lost. I think they were both too good to lose to anything but betrayal.

Finally, I think Meetra got off easy compared to Revan. She died almost instantly and became a force spirit while Revan was locked up for 300 years, facing mental torture and getting his life-force leeched out of him the entire time.

Edited by RevanKnight

I ask a question now. A friend of mine is pissed off about Revan's physical appearence see he is from Kenya and he really wanted an African Revan but now he is all disheartened about the character. He likes Jeff Bennett's voice but not the appearence, what do I tell him? I already told him it was because of building his character but he still isn't convinced.

I ask a question now. A friend of mine is pissed off about Revan's physical appearence see he is from Kenya and he really wanted an African Revan but now he is all disheartened about the character. He likes Jeff Bennett's voice but not the appearence, what do I tell him? I already told him it was because of building his character but he still isn't convinced.

Tell him to imagine how female KoTOR players feel. ;)

Yes and no. He had been locked in stasis, fighting a mental war with Vitiate for 300 years. Now, Jeff Bennett doing his voice was outstanding.

His motives in Foundry were good, but his methods were 100% Dark Side. Ending the war was a great motive. Unfortunately, killing nearly every man, woman, and child in the Empire was not the way to go about it. Revan should have seen that, but he was blinded by his insanity.

Now, without proper backstory on what happens to him between Jedi Prisoner and Foundry, we have nothing to go on as to WHY he went completely off his rocker again. There are several story hiccups along the way. Malgus saying Revan was "released" obviously wasn't true, if we go off the Jedi Prisoner FP. What happened when he went to Tython? How did he react to seeing his great great great great great granddaughter as Grandmaster of the Jedi Order? None of these questions have been answered.

Jedi Prisoner was good. Foundry was hack work.

Just my view.

i was lead to Believe that he meanth the sith population as in the SITH Population, i think he had plans to merge the Republic with the Remainder of the Empire when the sith were extinct, because without the Sith the Empire falls apart, they are dependant on eachother, i believe Revan survived the Foundry battle

i was lead to Believe that he meanth the sith population as in the SITH Population, i think he had plans to merge the Republic with the Remainder of the Empire when the sith were extinct, because without the Sith the Empire falls apart, they are dependant on eachother, i believe Revan survived the Foundry battle

And it was stated in the Foundry FP by HK that 97% of the Imperial population had Sith DNA in them, making them targets.

And it was stated in the Foundry FP by HK that 97% of the Imperial population had Sith DNA in them, making them targets.

Been a while since I ran BP and the Foundry, but wasn't it Revan's droids would kill anyone with Sith heritage or a drop of Sith blood, for a lack of better term? HK then estimates it to be about 97% of the Imperial population but he conveniently leaves out any defectors to the Republic or those who may be Republic citizens and happen to have ancient Sith lineage going back decades,generations or hundreds of years.

If I'm remembering that correctly, it makes Revan a lot nuttier and dangerously close to falling again or full on Dark Side without even being aware of it.