Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Guardian spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm specced as tank and do plenty of LFG stuff on it.

I really get no feedback from anyone so I guess they perceive it as neither particularly good nor particularly bad. Just another tank, I guess.

The Guardian / Tank playstyle is a ton of fun. I just wish the class were better at gathering / holding AOE threat.

Others know and fear me, rightfully so.

I do not discuss my spec with others especially development for fear of the nerf bat

Here are my answers:

1 - Other classes (being players the right word) think about Guardians as mainly tanks and often unfit for DPS so I guess Vigilance is underrated.

2 - Playing as DPS (Vigilance) Guardian, I sometimes find the DPS output as kind of weak when compared to other classes which have greater damage output. Some non-brown gear would be appreciated. Everything is brown or brownish in color. Give us some more variety on what color is concerned. Besides that I really enjoy the class, visuals and animations.

I know the last sentences were more about the gear than the spec but still, I thought I should add those :-P

Edited by BrunoLogan
additional data

1. I ran a 16 EC HM and just kept getting crushed compared to the Shadow and Vanguard. I was told guardians are no where as good as a shadow, was starting to believe it.

2. I enjoy the playstyle, just want the guardian to be a better tank.

1. The guardian vigilance spec was generally regarded as a sub-par dps spec by other people.

2. I found Vigilance to be fine as a dps spec in terms of damage and utility, but found that it was highly rotational, really just being concerned with hitting whichever ability was off cooldown at the time.

1. In regular group content, the general consensus I've seen is that guardians are sub-par tanks. I haven't played another tank spec, but I hear that tanking is a LOT easier as a shadow at least.

2. I feel like my aggro generation is weak. I have to rely on somewhat long cooldown abilities (taunts, hilt strike) to generate aggro. I frequently lose aggro to my DPS or healer group members and have little recourse to reclaim it other than damage.

Class that is not strong but weak DPS wise.Much weaker then sentinel DPS wise.

But there is a general feeling it is the worst of all

the tanks. And i agree, lack big accurasy debuff and more endurance skill etc that other tanks have+ it does the least damage of all tanks.

My spec that is mostly vigilance is a good spec and ok for both pvp/pve.I first wanted to play tank tree but i

quiqly found out it is a weak tree for pvp.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

I play a DPS Guardian (Vigilance) and I agree with those who have posted about DPS Vigilance Guardians.

I'm always looked upon as a sub-par DPS class compared to other melee DPS classes. Most often I'm over looked for DPS vs. a sentinel because of the added value a Sentinel brings with their group buffs. If there was some group utility that a Guardian DPS could bring to the group I think that would help immensely.

I love playing a Guardian\Vigilance spec. I do wish I could be a little more "mobile" at times. If I need to move to another group after using Force leap often times I'm walking there and that weakens my DPS. Typically its about every other Mob or group of mobs that I can use Force Leap.

Thanks for all your hard work. I <3 this game.

I think other classes perceive my Guardian spec as awesome. Not only am I capable of playing well in PvP, but I can also PvP well in the same exact spec. I consider my spec a "tank" spec, but I think part of me doing is well is how I've learned to play my spec in different situations.

Personally, I love my "tank" spec. There are a few things in our advanced class tree that I would prefer to have moved around, but I understand that abilties are placed where they are in order to have balance. Overall, I've had the same spec since January and enjoy it.

Vigilance Guard

1. The perception is we're still below par dps and lack the survivability of Sentinels.

2. The more I play the more I have been able to squeeze out substantial dps on par with other hybrid classes. I do lack some of the survivability of Sentinels, however knowing when damage is going to occur and positioning yourself appropriately makes it a moot point.

Hybrid Guard

1. We're too squishy and cannot hold threat outside of one or 2 targets.

2. I am able to hold aoe threat though maybe not as well as if I were full defense spec. Because I balance my stats appropriately and utilize Blade Barrier and Riposte I am not as squishy as people think.

as a tank/dps we are considered a threat but not over powered.

if your a pure dps guardian most people will prolly see you as someone who is not playing their class to the best of its potential. (in 1.3)

people who look for dps will not ever say we need a guardian dps.

11/28/2 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500RMG0zZMZfGM0rhdzG.2

i can tank pve and not have any problems with agro or staying alive.

pvp i benefit my team but the loss of addrenals kinda took the "burst" out of my burst dps :D. we are not under powered but losing addrenals and 2 relic cd's makes the "burst" random and way less efficient.

Edited by dufox

inferior in holding threat and receiving too much dmg on bosses who can't be reflected.

threat is ok. Sometimes spiky dmg received. On Bosses who can't be reflected inferior mitigation. 28% defense. 49% shield 47 % absorb 4 piece set bonus. 24k Hp.

Playing defense/Vig hybrid in dps gear for pvp and tanking in tank gear in pve (wish you had separate questions for pvp and pve)

In PvE we are seen as fine for dealing damage or tanking, if specced appropriately. Never had a problem with perception here.

In PVP, good players understand Guardians make good and valuable tanks. The biggest problem with how we are perceived: Focus is seen as being far superior to Vigilance. And of course, we are perceived as the gods of huttball :cool:

I perceive full Defense as practically useless in unranked pug PvP. I am still trying to decide between 29/12 or 17/24 for team pvp. 17/24 has good balance of damage and survival, great for 1v1 and group fights. Full Vigilance is fun and flows well, easy to manage resources, damage can feel subpar, or maybe it's a skill-cap issue; however, Focus is kind of a pain, bit of a one-trick pony, and less fun for me. Class is a blast in huttball!

PVE: I perceive myself as very viable in any spec, and the class is a blast to play! :)

Thank you for soliciting and reading our feedback!

PS As you can see I play various specs. I wish there was a cheaper/more convenient way to dual spec so I could play how I wanted in pvp and pve.

Edited by LarryRow

1. Not really had class related feedback relayed to me.

2. I'm 18 Defence / 23 Vigilance tanking spec. Seems pretty good, a little weak with aoe aggro, but not too bad. Have to use taunts well, but that's better than never having to try. My issues are how squishy tanks are against internal/elemental damage, and how crazy it is that my highest damaging attack is hitting someone with the hilt, not the blade, of a lightsaber!

Vigilance Guardian

I think that we are generally thought of as subpar when compared to our other melee counterparts, in both PvP and PvE.

I think the general perception is somewhat confused. For PvE, I find the AC to be relatively competitive with peers, if requiring a bit more focus during play. It could be brought more on target with other mDPS classes though. In PvP, we have some fair tools. Force Push is appreciated and quite useful, and the mechanics involving our instant CD on Master Strike even though other classes have tools that make that ability much better than when we use it.

In all, the spec can be fun. For PvE. Sometimes. PvP, I don't think it's too competitive in the least. I think it is a fun class to play but not an effective one.

Edited by AlyxDinas

My feedback will relate to tanking.

Weakest of the tanks in many areas such as damage output and threat generation. We do, however, have the superior tank cooldowns in comparison to other classes.

Defense specced Guardian is just not effective enough, especially at the highest end of the tree. There aren't any tank specific abilities up there that you can't get elsewhere and are better elsewhere (see Inner Peace versus Commanding Awe, Courage versus Effluence). Quite frankly, I find the Hybrid Vigilance/Defense spec far superior than just straight Defense. Upper Defense tree needs an overhaul, and honestly, the entire tree probably needs an overhaul by starting with ditching the Soresu Focus generation penalty and adjusting all the abilities in the lower tree.

Guardian tanks are extremely weak in terms of AE threat generation and the lowest tank in terms of damage output. We also are the lowest tank in terms of defense stats, lagging behind a full 10% (or more) in Shield and Absorption in comparison to our Shadow and Vanguard counterparts. Part of that can be made up with Blade Barrier, however, not all of it.

Edited by Blev

I don't really see people talking about Guardians much. Maybe a little bit of whining about the focus bomb spec but that's it.

Vigilance is just a poor spec. The focus management is far too delicate. The talent point cost for the basic spec is too high and leaves you with a spec that feels incomplete. Master Strike is also pretty problematic in PvP without a root.

A.) I think other classes see Guardian Tanks as decent tanks, provided they are well geared and know how to play their class, though we seem to be known as having a hard time holding AOE agro and if spec'd right we don't do much damage. It seems as though a Guardian really should be the most desired tanking profession in a group instead of simply an adequate tank.

A.) As a Guardian Tank I don't expect myself to do alot of damage but I would like to be able to do enough to help my groups out and to maintain agro without having to spam my taunts - it feels like my taunts are really the only way I am able to hold agro on a single target and I often loose agro on mobs when I am trying to agro a boss or champion as well as the mobs nearby.

I WOULD like to see a Guardians Defense Rating and Shield Rating and Absorb Rating be more useful / beneficial - I can accept not doing much damage but being well geared I should be able to hold alot of agro and take quite a pounding (thanks, hopefully, to a high Defense Rating, Shield Rating and Absorb Chance).

My Guardian is specced Vigilance right now. I haven't tried tanking with her yet.

Honestly I never really hear people talk much about Vigilance. When they do it's because they complain about Unremitting.

I was surprised at how well Vigilance can deal damage, so in that respect I think the spec is fine. However, survival as a Vigilance spec is terrible. Basically a Vigilance Guardian is like a weak Sentinel: most of the offense but worse utility and much worse survivability.

I play a Guardian tank. Guardian tanks are pereceived as okay tanks with no damage output by others. Thus they prefer Shadow and Vanguard tanks as they can take as much or more punishment and are able to deal damage at the same time. Damage is king in this game, especially with the boss enrage timers in PVE and also in PVP. Either enrage timers need to be abolished and tanking boosted in PVP, or the Guardian tank needs a serious DPS increase. Taking a guardian tank into your group is thus perceived as a disadvantage. It doesn't help that the Vigilance tree has a lot more useful tanking skills (the damage reduction from the Commanding Awe box and the defense increase from single saber Mastery, for example!) than the Defense tree as well and makes no sense at all. Also, nerfs like the removal of the taunt cooldown decrease among other things have hurt the Guardian Tank as well.

After playing the other tank classes, I mirror the sentiment of other players. Note that I believe the Jedi Guardian tank should be the ultimate group protector in the game, as Jedi Guardians are the protectors in Star Wars Lore. If we don't get as much damage as the tanking specs from other classes, we should at least be able to survive and hold aggro away from group members a lot better than them. Edited by Glzmo

1. i think the lowest treath is the guardian. Every time when we going to operation the sentinels and gunslingers always get agro, and the shadows or vanguards are getting more aggro then us so the only problem then i have is low aggro:(

2.I realy enjoy it. the focus spec is awesome, I just want to same agro as the other 2 tanks.

lvl 41 Defense Spec Guardian here (at the time of this writing).

1. Honestly haven't asked around to many people what their opinion of Guardians is. However, I have received quite a few compliments for my ability to tank through several Flash Points and Heroics so the class must have something going for it.

2. I love playing Guardian tank, the high mobility is great especially when coupled with the ability to screw around with whatever you're attacking, ie. Force Push, Force Stasis, Hilt Strike. While I do fare much better as a tank when fighting 1 target I can almost always manage a medium-large group if I remember to use all of my abilities. As far as I can tell the class may be a little worse at dealing with groups of enemies but this can be counteracted with decent gameplay.

I play a Defense Specced Guardian

I am most referring to PvP when I say that most people do not value a Defense specced Guardian. There is a lot of information on the forums suggesting that War Hero War Leader gear is not nearly as useful as DPS gear, and how most defensive stats and talents from the Defense tree are not useful in PvP. I think most other classes see us as a pain in the butt to kill when our defensive cooldowns are up, but also think we don't put out much damage in this spec.

2. I feel like I have enough abilities in this spec to make it worthwhile, although I feel that the damage I do is highly insignificant. If anything how tanks are functioning in PvP in general can be adjusted so that they perform better overall. Right now it just isn't clear to how much a tank actually helps you in group PvP and it's a cause for concern when Rated Teams are selecting their teammates to que up with them.

1.) By those who know litle of the Vigilance Dps spec it is quite heavily under rated and assumed to be below par in DPS terms. There is also a prefernce towards ranged DPS as they are easier to mange within boss fights and operations.

2.) I have tested this spec and build to destruction constantly monitoring the dps output via combat logs and can conclusively say with the right mods and used in conjunction with the correct build this spec is a doom bringer and I for one adore it. Just as a final point remember I adore it as it would be a terrible shame for it to get nerfed and then individuals cars might became strangely more flammable, you have been warned =).