Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you play for the solo stories or group content?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you play for the solo stories or group content?

Jedi_riches
09.21.2020 , 02:19 AM | #21
Solo, I just prefer running things at my own pace, my perfect game would be one where I could have my own instance but still access gen chat and the occasional non story version of flashpoints.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Fluffometer
09.21.2020 , 05:05 AM | #22
Since I've returned after a four-year gap it's been only solo / story and I would be surprised if that changes.

Before it was mostly this too until the last few months of my playing-time where I figured I'd try out a few new things before I stopped played. I joined a guild, which was nice - just a small one and did a few Heroics etc and had people to chat to while playing. I tried GSF a few times, but found that really clunky and the people were generally a bit obnoxious. I tried PVP when it was a condition of getting M1-4X, and, oh god... never again - I get that a lot of the PVP crowd might have been upset with an influx of inexperienced and disinterested PVE players, but the atmosphere was unreal.
Did a fair number of flashpoints through GF and had mixed experiences. Either the team were completely silent, in which case just felt like I might as well solo it. Or, I'd get stuck with one real aggressive so-and-so that would pick on whomever was the weakest group member and just target them with abuse. A few were nice experiences, but too low a number to make me want to continue. And that, together with a big lull in content, was largely what pushed me away from the game for so long.

As I said: I doubt I'll return to group stuff, but never say never and all that - I'd like to try an operation one of these days, but only if I could guarantee that it would be with normal, reasonable people and not absolute nightmares!
A referral link that makes you glow in the dark and be able to communicate with cats - Clickify Me! Not really - you and I get free stuff.

turbomagnus
09.21.2020 , 05:42 AM | #23
In no particular order...
  • Relatively casual (took three years just to reach Chapter Three on four characters, and that only because I finally decided I wanted the various class buffs that you get from completing Chapter Two...)
  • Solo - though if I see another player low on health or even defeated in PvE, I'll usually try to help them if I can.
  • Story, mostly. Although there's content outside the storyline that I enjoy; I try not to miss Bounty Contract Week if I can avoid it, for example.

RameiArashi
09.21.2020 , 09:04 AM | #24
Solo. I hate PVP , avoid Heroic that actually require a group and have only done OPs when I was in a guild that did what thye called the lama droid once a week. That guild theoretically exists but all the OPs players left the game long ago. I believe the founder actually went to work for another game company.

HuaRya
09.21.2020 , 12:24 PM | #25
Long Answer:
I've recruited for my guild since 2013'ish and all I can say is that the people back then seemed ex-Wow raider types and had a fervor for Operations of all difficulty levels. They were very chatty people and there was a lot of camaraderie on VOIP (ventrillo, teamspeak, mumble, and now discord).

Fast forward the people I recruit are here for the story. Because SWTOR doesn't let you repeat the main story like other MMO's those people abandon their toons to play the story on another one (because SWTOR doesn't have legacy based guild membership like other MMO's) guilds serve as a storage facility for dead alts. Clear them out to make room for more every 30 days.

Short Answer:
Long ago it was all about group content but these days it seems people are mainly here for the story.
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Nemmar
09.21.2020 , 03:31 PM | #26
Both.

eldefail
09.22.2020 , 05:56 AM | #27
I play for the solo content. This is mostly because I have internet that is not suitable for online gaming (Hughesnet) and won't subject groups to my 2k+ latency. Until Starlink officially launches I really can't do group content. But I really, really like the story stuff and that's what I have always focused on even when I had good internet.
New or returning players can receive in-game goodies through the Refer a Friend feature! Click HERE to jumpstart your leveling experience now!

More information here. I have already obtained the rewards myself, this really only benefits you.

ElZaguero
09.22.2020 , 09:15 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Erevan_Kindelar View Post
Galactic Star Fighter. PvP in space, which is completely different to the "shoot stuff while the game flies you around on rails" space PvE missions that you can access from onboard your class starship.
So if you have tried one of those missions and hated it, but you do not mind the idea of going up against other players, I would recommend reading a bit about GSF and then queueing for a couple of battles to try it out.
The big problem with GSF is that it's really hard to begin. The system is not intuitive at all, and the tutorial is utterly freaking worthless.

I strongly suspect that the number of people playing GSF could be multiplied by 10 if the barriers to entry were not so incredibly, overwhelmingly discouraging.

And in reply to the OP's question, I like both Solo and Group PVE, but I utterly despise PVP in this game.

casirabit
09.22.2020 , 09:18 AM | #29
When I play, solo unless my guild members are online then group. But never pvp.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

Stradlin
09.22.2020 , 03:52 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ElZaguero View Post
The big problem with GSF is that it's really hard to begin. The system is not intuitive at all, and the tutorial is utterly freaking worthless.

I strongly suspect that the number of people playing GSF could be multiplied by 10 if the barriers to entry were not so incredibly, overwhelmingly discouraging.
Yes..sadly tutorial in GSF is very bad indeed. One gets thrown to deep end right away. Good thing the GSF community been awesome in this regard and has created a ton of great guides.

Despon's GSF school series is great at showing basics.

Jinnora has made an actual, extensive manual for GSF.

Vulkk has a great, up to date guide.

SWTORISTA been doing lots of GSF of late, has a great collection of articles and videos that have been made with a fresh pilot in mind.

Additionally, fleet&ship req been buffed so much over the years, one gets all the ships pretty much immediately and maxed out ships quite easily.