Ranked Arena LF Help

Ylich

Hello,

Just a little background on me, but I'm basically a super competitive tryhard. I've been multi-gladiator in multiple seasons with multiple classes in WoW and rank 1 multiple times. I played on a pro team for a small stint in Smite. I'm typically in the highest ranked bracket in most games that I devote any time to. No I'm not trying to stroke myself off here, but I want to at least set the expectation that I'm not looking for help to barely break 1000 rating. I'm looking for the type of knowledge to get to platinum rank, knowing that I can handle the mechanics of the game.

I started playing SWTOR for a month or so about a year ago and stopped again, but before that... I had not played since release. I'm wanting to get started back up, especially with expansion coming, and actually get into the ranked arena for this game. (I realize it's probably not all that competitive with how matchmaking is and the lower player base, and win trading). That's ok.

So some questions that I have from some of the seasoned higher ranked players:

1) Are marauders super viable for solo queue? group queue? (They look 'ok' in solo queue, except 1 guy)

2) Which spec of marauder is most played? Carnage?

3) Do I need to get 258 gear to compete at high ranks?

4) Stat priority for carnage marauders? How much hit % in PvP? Any must-have gear items?

5) What is the best team comp for me in group queue?

6) What talents do people run on the marauder builds for arena? Are there situational talents based on your comp?

7) What are typical target priorities for killing people? Train healer first, train snipers first, etc.?

8) Do people typically blow CDs liberally at the start, or do they typically try to force CDs on other team first and then blow theirs to net a kill?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but thanks for any insight! Obviously I can figure these out on my own I'm sure, but will take much more time to get ramped up.

Edited by Ylich

Hello,

Just a little background on me, but I'm basically a super competitive tryhard. I've been multi-gladiator in multiple seasons with multiple classes in WoW and rank 1 multiple times. I played on a pro team for a small stint in Smite. I'm typically in the highest ranked bracket in most games that I devote any time to. No I'm not trying to stroke myself off here, but I want to at least set the expectation that I'm not looking for help to barely break 1000 rating. I'm looking for the type of knowledge to get to platinum rank, knowing that I can handle the mechanics of the game.

I started playing SWTOR for a month or so about a year ago and stopped again, but before that... I had not played since release. I'm wanting to get started back up, especially with expansion coming, and actually get into the ranked arena for this game. (I realize it's probably not all that competitive with how matchmaking is and the lower player base, and win trading). That's ok.

1) Are marauders super viable for solo queue? group queue? (They look 'ok' in solo queue, except 1 guy)

4) Stat priority for carnage marauders? How much hit % in PvP? Any must-have gear items?

6) What talents do people run on the marauder builds for arena? Are there situational talents based on your comp?

7) What are typical target priorities for killing people? Train healer first, train snipers first, etc.?

8) Do people typically blow CDs liberally at the start, or do they typically try to force CDs on other team first and then blow theirs to net a kill?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but thanks for any insight! Obviously I can figure these out on my own I'm sure, but will take much more time to get ramped up.

Marauders playing Fury with the right utilities are VERY STRONG.

No you can compete with 230s

Targets vary depending on the opposing team comp, your comp and known players that are "bad"

As a mara try to use saberward and obfuscate first> then force camo> Heal to full> then use undying rage as your last standing dcd. In a healer match, use obfuscate> force camo as priority. Use force camo on cd if you are being focused. Also try to use mad dash to avoid big crits if you can. and try your hardest to preserve saber ward and undying rage because you will most likely only get one use of those per round.

Hello,

This is why we need atleast a month preseason before every season starts so players can get familar with the arena environment.

I'll answer a few of these for you.

1) Maras are the second best class in solo ranked after merc. They are also very good in group ranked (which unfortunately is dead right now, so doesn't really matter)

2) Fury is by far the best and most played spec, mainly due to its extensive cc immunity. Carnage is played occasionally, but is far less successful.

3) No. Bolster works pretty well and gives you the equivalent of 252 gear. No matter what level of gear you're wearing though, you will want to try to allocate your stats properly. And keep in mind that the lower your gear level, the more new you will look, and the more you will be focused, at least initially.

4) Stat priorities for pvp are rather subjective. You have a few important choices to make. How much accuracy and alacrity you want to run. A common set up would be to go for 105% accuracy (not sure on the exact numbers for that because I don't run any toons with it) and tier one alacrity, which is 702+. If you want, you could also go for tier 2 alacrity at 1857+, but that will mean a lot less crit/mastery. After you make those two choices, you should put up to about 1900-2300 in crit and the rest in mastery. You will need to augment your gear to get to the numbers you want.

5) Irrelevant because group ranked isn't popping. Maybe it will briefly revive in 6.0, who knows.

6) Others would be far better equipped than I to answer that because I don't play mara in ranked. But there is one quirk of playing maras that I should mention here, which is that your last ditch dcd is force camouflage, which allows you to stealth away from a fight. You need to use that and run across the map until you're out of combat, heal to full with out of combat regen, and then go rejoin the fight. I believe there are a few utilities that are important for that process.

7) Depends on the situation and the players involved, obviously. Target priorities for dps are typically something like: pt, jugg, sniper, sin, mara, sorc, merc, op. People could have mild disagreements about the ones in the middle. Sometimes you will want to go all out on sniper first above anything else, depending on your own team comp. Assassin might go higher if you know they're likely to guard. Any of the others could go higher if you know they're a bad player that will die quickly.

If it's a healer with 3 dps game, healers are almost never targeted first, because they can survive under focus far longer than a dps. The best strategy is almost always to focus a dps while cc'ing/interrupting/knocking off the healer. If it's a tank/healer 2 dps game, there are a variety of strats, but the most common is to swap dps based on who the tank is guarding while cc'ing the healer. If it's a tank 3 dps game, you usually want to swap between two of the dps and cc the third. But, with certain comps, tunneling the tank is a viable strategy. Anyone who has a problem with tunneling the tank (otherwise known as tt) is a laughable player who should not be taken seriously.

8) This is totally context dependent. If they are tunneling you hard, then you simply have to do your best to survive, and space your dcds out accordingly to survive as long as possible, while doing as much damage to relevant targets as you can. I'd say it's usually not worth overextending yourself for a kill. If you have to choose between securing a kill but dying in the process or surviving, surviving is usually the better choice, because your team should be able to clean up the kill, and then you'll still be available to contribute to the next kill. But it's a fine line. There are some players that prioritize surviving way too much, and they end up doing pitiful damage, and usually on the wrong targets. This is the kind of stuff you can really only learn by playing ranked.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Hello,

In general, marauders are extremely strong in solo queue and all 3 specs can be viable.

For group ranked, they have always been the best melee dps, especially for hardswap compositions. Carnage is the spec most players use for hard swaps. The best teams run either sorc/op healer, jugg/sin tank paired with sniper as other dps.

As for specifics for utilities(talents), i cannot comment as i do not play marauder myself.

All in all, they are strong in either format of ranked when played well.

I'll answer a few of these for you.

1) Maras are the second best class in solo ranked after merc. They are also very good in group ranked (which unfortunately is dead right now, so doesn't really matter)

2) Fury is by far the best and most played spec, mainly due to its extensive cc immunity. Carnage is played occasionally, but is far less successful.

3) No. Bolster works pretty well and gives you the equivalent of 252 gear. No matter what level of gear you're wearing though, you will want to try to allocate your stats properly. And keep in mind that the lower your gear level, the more new you will look, and the more you will be focused, at least initially.

4) Stat priorities for pvp are rather subjective. You have a few important choices to make. How much accuracy and alacrity you want to run. A common set up would be to go for 105% accuracy (not sure on the exact numbers for that because I don't run any toons with it) and tier one alacrity, which is 702+. If you want, you could also go for tier 2 alacrity at 1857+, but that will mean a lot less crit/mastery. After you make those two choices, you should put up to about 1900-2300 in crit and the rest in mastery. You will need to augment your gear to get to the numbers you want.

5) Irrelevant because group ranked isn't popping. Maybe it will briefly revive in 6.0, who knows.

6) Others would be far better equipped than I to answer that because I don't play mara in ranked. But there is one quirk of playing maras that I should mention here, which is that your last ditch dcd is force camouflage, which allows you to stealth away from a fight. You need to use that and run across the map until you're out of combat, heal to full with out of combat regen, and then go rejoin the fight. I believe there are a few utilities that are important for that process.

7) Depends on the situation and the players involved, obviously. Target priorities for dps are typically something like: pt, jugg, sniper, sin, mara, sorc, merc, op. People could have mild disagreements about the ones in the middle. Sometimes you will want to go all out on sniper first above anything else, depending on your own team comp. Assassin might go higher if you know they're likely to guard. Any of the others could go higher if you know they're a bad player that will die quickly.

If it's a healer with 3 dps game, healers are almost never targeted first, because they can survive under focus far longer than a dps. The best strategy is almost always to focus a dps while cc'ing/interrupting/knocking off the healer. If it's a tank/healer 2 dps game, there are a variety of strats, but the most common is to swap dps based on who the tank is guarding while cc'ing the healer. If it's a tank 3 dps game, you usually want to swap between two of the dps and cc the third. But, with certain comps, tunneling the tank is a viable strategy. Anyone who has a problem with tunneling the tank (otherwise known as tt) is a laughable player who should not be taken seriously.

8) This is totally context dependent. If they are tunneling you hard, then you simply have to do your best to survive, and space your dcds out accordingly to survive as long as possible, while doing as much damage to relevant targets as you can. I'd say it's usually not worth overextending yourself for a kill. If you have to choose between securing a kill but dying in the process or surviving, surviving is usually the better choice, because your team should be able to clean up the kill, and then you'll still be available to contribute to the next kill. But it's a fine line. There are some players that prioritize surviving way too much, and they end up doing pitiful damage, and usually on the wrong targets. This is the kind of stuff you can really only learn by playing ranked.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I find it interesting that Fury is more preferred than Carnage. I haven't played Fury for a year but it felt very rough and not as smooth to play as carnage and less burst. I'll have to look into the build again to look at the CC immunity options it has. I'll have to give it a shot again after I finish the inquisitor chapter 2 story for the buff. I know Fury was a solid pick before as well for PvP, but thought it was behind Carnage and Annihilation.

Do you know which talents are specced into for Fury in PvP consistently?

fury is easier, imo. although the pve write-ups say carny is the easiest. I think it has to do with gore. a guildy of mine watches a lot of streams, and he says he sees carny for most of the top maras, but I see mostly fury when I Q regs and yolo. so iunno. it makes zururles' comment seem plausible about the two.

I will just add one thing regarding gear.

Mainhand weapons don’t affect Bolsters. So you want to get the best main hand weapon you can get in a reasonable time frame.

A full 230 set is fine, just try to get a 252 main hand.

Also, don’t use 236-240 Augments with bolstered gear as it’s a complete waste of your credits. 228 Augments are the best to use until you get a full set of 252-258 gear.

Why? Because all Augment slots are bolstered to 236 Mastery Augments regardless if you have any Augments equiped of not ;)

Which means if you are going to equip any 228 Augments, don’t use any mastery ones. Just use Alacrity, crit or

Accuracy if you want it for pvp, but 230 Bolster does gives you about 103% Accuracy without equipping any Accuracy.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I play Combat which is mirror for Carnage in Sentinel language.

Fury should be the easier spec as it has a three step rotation versus the six step of Combat.

Also the initial immortal mode of Fury (or Concentration) makes it more easy in SR.

Combat is best (IMO) single burst target in the game, but ignore that part since I do not play all classes.

In my experience one of the Shadow specs could be as good. But my Shadow is a tank and have never played it in ranked and gearing is such a Pain in the *** nowadays, that is impossible to try.

Sentinels only need about 1400 alacrity since they have 5% bonus (to be spec'd), and you are in 1.3 gcd heaven.

ATM it is the most fun toon I have in Ranked. I have played Sage Seer and Sniper Eng this season, this last being the hardest IMO and most painful.

TBH on DM I see most people running in Fury (Concentration).

Edited by limenutpen

Hello,

I will answer the question about maras

In this current meta Fury is the PVP monster for the Marauder class and honestly there is no reason for you to play Carnage or Anni in ranked because Fury does everything better and has stun immunity every 30 seconds on top of that which feels kinda mandatory since there area a LOT of stuns in arenas, especially ranked ones...

Sure, Carnage is very good despite what people say.. I can easily break 5k dps with it and sometimes It shocks me how fast I can kill one target with it, but the lack of CC immunity makes me feel vulnerable and naked in ranked. It can work out for you if you are very skilled and dedicated to marauder class. ;)

Annihilation I feel that is very situational, but again if you are skilled you can do very good with it. Anni is least played in ranked I think. On Darth Malgus I have mostly never seen any Anni mara in ranked que except one guy and even carnage is pretty rare. *90% of the folk on DM are all fury which is very sad...

Honestly, Fury is a joke of a spec and feels very monkey like and klunky/slow.. It should never have been the top mara spec and it never really was until 5.0, but we are kinda forced to play it now because it's easy and does a lot of damage.

Build Wise, I play Fury with low alacrity(750) full burst build, while I prefer Anni and Carnage with high alacrity builds .

Edited by DavidAtkinson