Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Get rid of unranked

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Get rid of unranked

SlimeyDoom
05.08.2019 , 02:51 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
you're on SF aren't you? it's particularly bad when the best players in the WZ, usually in 2-4m grps, do nothing but farm kills. it's good in huttball and it's usually good in ahg (both at mid), but it's horrible in general because they NEVER come to node calls and when they do go to nodes, it's usually in a pack and then leave it unguarded after clearing it.
The main reason for this is that competitive pvp in this game does not revolve around objectives. It revolves around outplaying another group of pvpers in an arena. Objectives were only in ranked during the time of 8v8 group ranked; but that time has passed.

For someone who does alot of team ranked, such as myself or other members of my team, we do regs when we have no one to play in team ranked. Believe me, I have very little interest in doing regs or anything like that. We're pretty much forced to play it because it's the only form of pvp that we can queue with friends outside of team ranked.

Just like any other player that seeks to improve themselves, me and my friends practice our skills that we use in group ranked. This is why in regs, we don't sit on a node for 15 minutes guarding it. We try to seek out enemies and fight them, to practice skills that we need in arenas. This is why you can often see players with ranked flairs or well known group ranked guilds completely ignoring objectives, and preferring to fight enemy players. Practicing objectives gives no advantage outside regs, and we don't queue for pvp to twiddle our thumbs whilst watching a node. We queue to actually fight players.

I'm sure I'm about to be bashed by everyone for saying this. But objectives have not been relevant outside of regs for a very long time, and very few of the experienced and competent players that I play against and with even bother with them anymore.

Banderal
05.08.2019 , 09:06 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimeyDoom View Post
For someone who does alot of team ranked, such as myself or other members of my team, we do regs when we have no one to play in team ranked. Believe me, I have very little interest in doing regs or anything like that. We're pretty much forced to play it because it's the only form of pvp that we can queue with friends outside of team ranked.
You are not forced to do anything. By way of analogy, if I want to play chess, and the only thing going on is a big checkers tournament, it's not in any way OK for me to sign up for the checkers games and then start playing chess just because "well this is the only place where the boards are". I just don't get to play chess.

Also, with the "pvp stronghold" (ha! I know, right?) you can arrange PvP matches with friends all you want, and do "arena style" practice all day long. All without going into regs and then not playing the game. (Er, right? I don't actually have one of those strongholds.)

That said... I actually kinda agree with you. I mean, I at least understand the frustration. I commented in some previous, long ago thread the same basic idea that "it sucks that there's no place to practice just ranked play". My idea, not necessarily a good one, was that they should have a queue for "practice ranked". It should pop only arenas, and it should be the place to earn gear. We should not be playing ranked play to earn the gear that is mostly just needed to be on equal footing in ranked.

Also, of course, there seems to be more people on your side of the "how to play regs" division these days than there is on mine. So maybe by now it has become a chess game, even though it was originally checkers.
Spoiler

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

SlimeyDoom
05.08.2019 , 12:02 PM | #23
The issue with the rishi stronghold is that you can’t really get cxp or unassembled components from it. You’re right though, if there was a practice arena queue I would not touch regs lol

TrixxieTriss
05.08.2019 , 05:34 PM | #24
The issue with the rishi stronghold is that you can’t really get cxp or unassembled components from it. You’re right though, if there was a practice arena queue I would not touch regs lol
The Rishi strong hold is good for training. But you are correct, it would be used more often if there was some way to obtain some rewards.

davensuitelife
07.05.2019 , 01:39 AM | #25
I would be ok with 8v8 solo que
D'avin of The Ebon Hawk

foxmob
07.05.2019 , 08:40 AM | #26
you don't need the rishi stronghold. you get 2 groups of four and issue a "guild challenge."

you can also do this with 8 player teams on the larger maps, but that's outside your interest. just mentioning it for completion sake.

I'm in a PvE casual guild with a few ace PvPers from the 8v8 days. they don't play at all or very rarely (usually drunk). well, we grouped up for kickball group ranked and played a couple games -- we all tried, but the teams were designed to be balanced. after two games, ppl were tired and most went to bed. the next day, someone found out about the guild challenge thing. it's really cool. a few of use felt bad about using the grp Q but there's no way we were dumping 4-6 out of 8 guildies into ranked of any format. it was a blast.

the only down side, as slimeydoom mentioned, is that you also cannot collect cxp or anything in guild challenges. but you DO get to practice against properly balanced/role-balanced teams on the actual arena maps. that's pretty cool. the only other time you can do anything like that is during preseason of ranked, and that prevents anyone from dipping their feet into the water.
Krack