Tanking as a Shadow

varactylking

Is the sticky post at the top of the forum still a good guide? I'm just coming back from a year break, and apparently I have forgotten how to shadow tank. I fell back into the Guardian groove fairly easy, but my Shadow seems to get spanked by everything in MM Flashpoints.

Right now my gear is mostly a set of 236 with a few higher pieces. Anybody have any tips to get me back in the swing? I did some searching on the forums, but most of it seems to be pretty old.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Is the sticky post at the top of the forum still a good guide? I'm just coming back from a year break, and apparently I have forgotten how to shadow tank. I fell back into the Guardian groove fairly easy, but my Shadow seems to get spanked by everything in MM Flashpoints.

Right now my gear is mostly a set of 236 with a few higher pieces. Anybody have any tips to get me back in the swing? I did some searching on the forums, but most of it seems to be pretty old.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Guardian has a lot of passive defensives, Shadow needs to time their dcds. In particular you want your force speed to be fully buffed so you get that 60% damage absorption every 15s.

That said - the 5.0 guides are still relevant, the rotations and main abilities haven't changed much.

http://dulfy.net/2017/01/29/swtor-5-0-kinetic-combat-shadow-pve-guide-by-numy/ is a good place to start. Pay attention to the stats and gearing section.

The gear the game gives you is way too high in defense and way too low in shield/absorb. Any defense rating over 2000 points should be fine, and for endgame you want a minimum of 1500 points in shield and absorb. When I get a squishy tank in MM fp and check their gear usually they're running with tons of defense, and less than 1000 points in shield and absorb.

If you have credits to burn I recommend using the setbonus armorings with crafted 246 high endurance mods/enhancements. It's expensive though.

If credits are an issue then the best thing you can do is augment your gear and use 228 rated shield and absorb augments. Try to get shield/absorb as high as you can, slightly more shield than absorb.

• 3 weeks later...