WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

Slowpokeking

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And remove the health stations in solo mode.

Why are you trying to take the fun from solo players? There are solo content and MMORPG nowadays shouldn't be about forcing ppl to group for a lot of content.

The most fun I've ever had in this game was when comps has item stats. I had Kira in all bis gear as well. I loved putting her on attack and just watching her destroy stuff and healing her when necessary .replaying/completing all planets multiple times,dailies, all heroics, the weekly quest vet fp.

The why ?? IMO What you said in your op is right it's mostly due to having to bribe/ force other players to join other content do to its niche nature the illogic is

Hardcore and group player can both solve their own problems at the player level

Yet with level sync , stat caps/ diminishing returns and open world mob buffs ...

There is NOTHING a player who wants the game EASIER can do to make it easier

For example if Hardcore players want more of a challenge in the open world they can wear lower tier armor , not assign ability points ,have the companion on passive ...etc etc ... if the group ques are not filling up then the group oriented people have the ability to find other people who actually want to group and form their own group that is what friends lists and guild are specifically for.

with all those option given to hardcore and group players .... what options does a easy solo easy player have ?

Nothing..not one option to make the game easier in general.

Also considering non-group activities make up the core audience as stated and staticically reported by other games in the below linked thread it really makes no sense that they would intentionally screw over their core audience other then to make it less appealing and to bribe , force and otherwise incentivise other aspects of the game they wanted to forcefully push people towards .

group oriented ques and raids are generally the vast minority of a player base mmo that have reported such statistics.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=750289

as demonstrated above both the group and hardcore problems can be fixed on the player level without the need for level sync, nerfing companions and incentivize harder content with better rewards or forcing grouping on people who do not want to engage in such activities.

I also made a recommendation regarding how to fix the game since the whole Bioware marketing campaign slogan "PLAY YOUR WAY" turn out to be just that a nice "catch phrase" that sounded good but had no actual application or substance in actual practice or reality.

with this suggestion EVERYONE and can choose a activity based on what they find the most enjoyable wins and no " group" is excluded or discriminated against and literally can "PLAY THEIR OWN WAY"

Part of that suggestion is returning companions to the state they were before when they received item stats as well and nerfing the world mobs to a state they were before when you could easy do vet fp solo.

My opinion of a possible solution on how to make EVERYONE happy without EXCLUDING or discriminating against any playstyle or difficulty choice].

1. There should be NO BONUS or INCENTIVES to do ANY specific activity for any reason that way no one is

pseudo forced though FOMO or "Carrot" .. ohh i have go do this "specific this" so i can get that "specific this" or this pays out that ..so i don't like that but i want the thing so i'm going to do it anyways.

As I explained below if they changed and streamlined the loot system to no matter what activity or difficulty you did you still got the same " payout" and stopped capping how powerful people and boosting world mobs so can be ...so people can be as overpowered as they want ( pvp would probably need adjustment for balance reasons i don't know how pvp works now as i don't do that) if that is how they have fun

So there is literally no difference what you do in game if you want to OPS all day, PVP all day Starfighter, Dallies , Questing Heroics... whatever you find the most enjoyable ....you will not " lose out" at the end of the day ... then EVERYONE can do what they enjoy and no one loses and everyone ends up with the "best loot" regardless if they statistically need it for their play style.

IMO the way to fix the game is to give companion back item stats / boost them considerably while nerfing wold mos/boss ingneral. Easy mod will be happy and there are many various ways to improve the difficulty though stats armor abilities etc manipulation. for hardcore people

However crafting is another issue ... I don't know how to make or what crafting needs to be enjoyable undertis system All my toon have have some sort of crafting closed to 500-600 on them ...but i have found crafting so useless in the past do to better gear elsewhere i just level it and it sits unused.

Logically Risk / reward effort /reward should not be a factor in a "play your own way system"

If someone finds their primary source of "fun" in content that takes "strategy" "knowing how to play " knowing mechanics" and 60 min of smashing buttons to clear one piece of content

.... why are they any better or deserve "better rewards" than people who don't??

The Motivation should NOT be "better loot" the PRIMARY reason they should be doing is because they enjoy doing it because that is the way they "Choose to play"

Level sync defeats the whole purpose of gear because you can never be "overpowered" anymore and raising difficulty content in a broad you are basically saying..." your fun is wrong if you don't like "challenge and want reward without "effort and "risk"

Why are you discriminating against someone who like to feel like they are a powerful unstoppable hero and can clear a veteran FP just solo with their companion smashing everything into oblivion without out every mob taking 5 min or the flash points IN STORY MODE taking 30 min or more to complete.

INB4 REEEE harder group content deserves better loot because effort /risk reward etc

harder content and raids are niche and the PRIMARY you should be doing such content because you enjoy it ..not because there is better loot... if you don't dont hard content because it "pays" the same as easy content ..then you are proving my point ...you are not doing it for "fun and challenge " you are doing it for better loot.

Ib4 REEEE "group ques would die if everything could be done easy /solo"

1. that statement itself proves my point completely .. like harder content it would simply show what people are doing for other reason than "enjoyment"

2. if you want to do such que instead of forcing people to do it for reason other than enjoyment ..the onus should be on the players to put the work in to find other player who have the same interests and not really on a que in the first place.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

People like me then. But sado-masochist is the wrong term. It doesn't hurt me but apparently it does you, so sadist would be the better term.

What kind of ppl would want to mess up with STORY MODE, which was MEANT to let everyone be able to solo and enjoy?

These ppl don't build their fun upon the game, they built it upon other's pain and "better than you", which is nothing but harmful garbage to any kind of player community.

What kind of ppl would want to mess up with STORY MODE, which was MEANT to let everyone be able to solo and enjoy?
Well you see, that's not true. Not everybody enjoys it when it's THAT easy. I certainly didnd't enjoy it and I do enjoy the gameplay better now. Point is that every change will be good for some and bad for others. There is no pleasing everyone and it wasn't fun for everyone before. It never will be for everyone.

These ppl don't build their fun upon the game, they built it upon other's pain and "better than you", which is nothing but harmful garbage to any kind of player community.

What do you want me say? You want me to have less fun so you can have more fun. So you were building on other people's pain as such. Are you seriously going to tell me that you were concerned for people like myself who didn't enjoy it because it was so easy? Of course not. Bottom line is that in the previous expansion it wasn't fun for me. Now it's more fun for me. Am I not allowed to enjoy this game? Cause in the end if they were to make it easier again, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Edited by Tsillah

As a solo player, I find the comps in a VERY similar place as they were. You just have to play a little smarter. Don't bounce into 10 mobs right off the bat. Hit attack on your comp before bounding in and that will take a couple of seconds off the prep time of the first heal. Solo Content is still super easy.

Well you see, that's not true. Not everybody enjoys it when it's THAT easy. I certainly didnd't enjoy it and I do enjoy the gameplay better now. Point is that every change will be good for some and bad for others. There is no pleasing everyone and it wasn't fun for everyone before. It never will be for everyone.

Then dismiss your companion and take off your gear, wish granted. WHY didn't you do so?

Because you don't even know how to do it?

If you know and not to do it, that means you chose not to do it with challenge.

WHY did you ask for change when you have the option to have challenge?

Because your "gamestyle" is to watch others fail and laugh at it, not wanting challenge yourself.

What do you want me say? You want me to have less fun so you can have more fun. So you were building on other people's pain as such. Are you seriously going to tell me that you were concerned for people like myself who didn't enjoy it because it was so easy? Of course not. Bottom line is that in the previous expansion it wasn't fun for me. Now it's more fun for me. Am I not allowed to enjoy this game? Cause in the end if they were to make it easier again, I wouldn't enjoy it.

WHY didn't you dismiss your companion and your gear?

Did I stop you to do so?

Did the game stop you to do so?

Are you not even able to do it yourself?

NO

Because that's not what you want, you want others to experience the same difficulty they didn't want to so you will feel GOOD.

That's the answer.

As a solo player, I find the comps in a VERY similar place as they were. You just have to play a little smarter. Don't bounce into 10 mobs right off the bat. Hit attack on your comp before bounding in and that will take a couple of seconds off the prep time of the first heal. Solo Content is still super easy.

Not really, the data and CD has been increased.

Also story mode=meant to let everyone easily go through. Do you have problem understanding it at all?!

Thing is if you want the game to be more difficult you can :

- play the hardest content

- take off your gear or wear the most basic unmodded one

- put your companions on passive so that they won't help you

What can anyone who want to play on easy mode do though if even the story content becomes too difficult / tedious ?

There's no way to make the game easier while there were ways to make it more difficult...

Edited by Goreshaga

Also story mode=meant to let everyone easily go through. Do you have problem understanding it at all?!

I don't, but you have a problem understanding.

First of all you say it is meant to let everyone easily through. That's your opinion, nothing more. I do not agree with that opinion.

Secondly you also said everyone should enjoy it. YOUR WORDS. So don't skip over that now. I told you that what you and I enjoy are different things. So if you get what you want, I don't enjoy it and when I get what I want, you don't enjoy it. So they can't please both of us it seems and therefore they cannot make it enjoyable for everyone. Again referring to YOUR WORDS.

So don't try to avoid your own statement. In the end I Story Mode doesn't mean it should be EASY for everyone so for you to say that's what SM is, is simply not true.

if there is one thing we can probably agree on it's that BioWare has not ever been consistent in what Story Mode means when it comes to difficulty.

I do see the point that SM should be possible for (almost) everyone to pass through, but I do not say everyone because if people ignore the tools they've been given because they don't want to put in any effort, I don't think you can demand that it should be made even easier just to suit that. That's my opinion.

But I don't remember BW ever saying that SM was about content that was easy for for everyone to pass. Easy enough perhaps but that's not the same.

Edited by Tsillah

I don't, but you have a problem understanding.

First of all you say it is meant to let everyone easily through. That's your opinion, nothing more. I do not agree with that opinion.

Yes it is, story mode is for that.

You want challenge, there is VET and MM. WHY didn't you go it?

Secondly you also said everyone should enjoy it. YOUR WORDS. So don't skip over that now. I told you that what you and I enjoy are different things. So if you get what you want, I don't enjoy it and when I get what I want, you don't enjoy it. So they can't please both of us it seems and therefore they cannot make it enjoyable for everyone. Again referring to YOUR WORDS.

And you have the option to do it.

DID I stop you from doing it?

DID I?

DID I?

WHY didn't you do it?

So don't try to avoid your own statement. In the end I Story Mode doesn't mean it should be EASY for everyone so for you to say that's what SM is, is simply not true.

It is designed for such purpose, and if you want difficulty you have the option to do so.

WHY didn't you do it?

WHY?

if there is one thing we can probably agree on it's that BioWare has not ever been consistent in what Story Mode means when it comes to difficulty.

No difficulty pleases everyone, THIS is why VET and MM were there, WHY didn't you go for them? I guess they are too hard for you? Otherwise why come back to pick on SM players?

I do see the point that SM should be possible for (almost) everyone to pass through, but I do not say everyone because if people ignore the tools they've been given because they don't want to put in any effort, I don't think you can demand that it should be made even easier just to suit that. That's my opinion.

WHY not? They don't hurt you at all. Did they mock on you? Did they mess up with your play?

You wanted others to fail, not to have challenge, you just proved it.

But I don't remember BW ever saying that SM was about content that was easy for for everyone to pass. You just made that up afaic because it suits your wishes.

SM is designed for it, VET and MM are for challenge, and you have the option to increase difficulty. WHY didn't you do so if you think it's to easy?

AND WHY does everyone being able to go through SM bother you? Because you want to see others fail.

THIS is why Bioware or any other game designers shouldn't listen to you.

The most fun I've ever had in this game was when comps has item stats. I had Kira in all bis gear as well. I loved putting her on attack and just watching her destroy stuff and healing her when necessary

Um sorry to bother you but I saw you say this in another thread too, and by now my curiosity just has to be assuaged...

Kira is a knight companion. Knights have no healing spec. I am confused by how you "healed" Kira. :)

Yes it is, story mode is for that.
Still your opinion, not a fact at all. If SM was designed for being easy as you say then Master and Blaster would be much easier in Story Mode for example.

YYou want challenge, there is VET and MM. WHY didn't you go it?
I can't play the character class stories in HM/NiM and BioWare has stopped rewarding harder content as it is.

That's because of people like you. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't.

Edited by Tsillah

See, that's the face of the elitists, what they wanted are not their "challenge" but seeing other ppl fail even through how others play the game have nothing to do with them at all.

Can't believe Bioware is still listening to these ppl.

You want to take other people's fun away so you have no right to speak. You focus on the point that I want certain things that take your fun away in your view, but you don't give a single damn about taking fun away from other people. So if I'm elitist then so are you, just from the other side of the issue.

Still your opinion, not a fact at all. If SM was designed for being easy as you say then Master and Blaster would be much easier in Story Mode for example.

I can't play the character class stories in HM/NiM and BioWare has stopped rewarding harder content as it is.

That's because of people like you. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't.

That makes absolutely no sense - you state you cant do the harder modes - i presume because they're harder? so therefore you want the story mode (the easy version) to be more difficult - and then finish with the reason because the hard modes are hard are because of the people who want story mode to be easier...

That makes absolutely no sense - you state you cant do the harder modes - i presume because they're harder? so therefore you want the story mode (the easy version) to be more difficult - and then finish with the reason because the hard modes are hard are because of the people who want story mode to be easier...

he can't do harder modes because no such things exists for class stories. the difficulty toggle affects kotet and kotfe only.

I do agree, comps were overpowered a little but the players complaining could do a lot to change that from removing gear to putting comps on tank or dps. As per usual they just ***** and complain instead of just using a little common sense and just change there own characters to the level they want. Then add gear back when needed. There's not much players can do the other way round, if they are struggling. Now if comps were down powered just a little it probably would not be an issue to anyone, which it is now, even if only for a few players. As per usual BW go from one extreme to another. seems BW are totally incapable of learning from pass errors as BW changed healing before only to change it back a few weeks later.

M&B should have been easier, sure.

SM is designed for ppl to go through, that's why other modes exist.

You can, take off the gear and dismiss the companion.