Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simple guide to gearing 6.0

TrixxieTriss
10.31.2019 , 03:14 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawkebatt View Post

Trixxie Take a break from Red reaper do the onderon dailies then come back. Daily and weekly crates are good.
Started to pvp again instead

I feel bad for the guys trying to gear up only in pvp (like I used to do).

The pvp weekly gave me two boxes that had 1 piece each. AND they were purple 294 non modíable gear AND my iRating is 306

I can completely understand why so many of my fellow pvpers are pissed because the drops are small and itís not even giving out the correct iRated gear.

In the time it takes to play a match, I can run red reaper and get 4-5 times more gear. Luckily Iím already geared (mostly) and I donít really care what drops for me.

Sarova
11.17.2019 , 04:35 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
<snipped>
As I am clueless about how to improve my gear (even though I did the PTS) I did a Google search for info and ended up in this thread. Having read through I'm not that much clearer on any thing.

1: As a lightning sorc to survive anything I've always made sure I have much higher gear / much better gear than most other classes would need at the same level. As a solo player currently I can't get above ilevel 273 and I'm pretty sure that's not just me sucking. I've had no end of gear boxes which contain nothing but lower than my ilevel useless disintegrate fodder.

2: I think I will have to accept the fact that I will be easy valor fodder in PvP until my sub runs out.

3:
13. Donít buy stuff from the vendors as you lvl unless you are desperate because itís a waste of tech frags. If you do max your tech frags, buy a set bonus piece on a little used Alt and log straight off. These pieces have a refund timer and as long as you donít login on that Alt and let the timer run down, you can basically store excess tech frags that way till itís time to buy your set pieces (which donít come with internals).
The first sentence of your advice above is good as in the recent patch this happened:
Quote:
Set Bonus gear and Tactical items purchased from the Class vendors on the fleet can no longer be refunded.

No refund timer whatsoever, so if you make a genuine mistake you are ****ed.

Other solo players: can anyone advise on the best way to improve my gear? Or is this now a high-level-group-stuff-only focused as well as RNG gearing system?
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treatsô
Add an option to switch off vendor icons
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

JennyFlynn
11.17.2019 , 05:16 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarova View Post

Other solo players: can anyone advise on the best way to improve my gear? Or is this now a high-level-group-stuff-only focused as well as RNG gearing system?
I haven't read the guide above so apologies, but my main is currently 291 and I have a Legacy bank full of stuff to get about 4-5 other toons to a comfortable 286 at the moment. I do things my own way and have barely touched group content (save for this past week as I did 5 Veteran FPs for the weekly/Conquest).

What I've done most is run Solo/Story FPs, especially all the SoR related ones as they're my favorite. They're easy enough to do and the bosses have been dropping upgrades for me. It's usually 1-2 items of the same item level I've got, and then 1-2 upgrade pieces per boss. Give or take a little less/more at times with the nature of RNG but I've consistently gotten at least 3 pieces of upgrades per FP, on top of tech fragments and potential upgrades from Renown/Reward boxes.

When I have 3/4th of a new level set (aka mostly 284 gear with a few 280/282 pieces left), I go to the vendor on the fleet to purchase replacements for those last few 280/282 pieces and always end up with the next, 284, or sometimes it'll proc a 286 item. Keeps my fragments below cap as well and boosts me up to the next 'level' so I'll start getting 286 drops in FPs. And it goes on like that. I always make sure to equip the highest item level stuff too, even if the stats look a little iffy.

I've also been doing Onderon weekly/dailies quite a bit, mostly for rep, but it's helped my renown ranks and those reward caches have dropped some really nice things as well.

I'm not up to 306 like everyone else is but I've also never been a hardcore player or someone who's made a lot of effort for gear as I just go about my own things and play the story. Still, what I've been doing in the past week has felt easy and relaxing, doing it at my own pace and still getting nice stuff. For being a filthy casual, I'd say 291 isn't too bad. My way may not be what's recommended or advised but it's what works for me and I'm happy.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

sharkfishman
11.17.2019 , 05:41 PM | #34
As I am clueless about how to improve my gear (even though I did the PTS) I did a Google search for info and ended up in this thread. Having read through I'm not that much clearer on any thing.

1: As a lightning sorc to survive anything I've always made sure I have much higher gear / much better gear than most other classes would need at the same level. As a solo player currently I can't get above ilevel 273 and I'm pretty sure that's not just me sucking. I've had no end of gear boxes which contain nothing but lower than my ilevel useless disintegrate fodder.

2: I think I will have to accept the fact that I will be easy valor fodder in PvP until my sub runs out.

3:

The first sentence of your advice above is good as in the recent patch this happened:

It's probably going to be a much longer grind without running group content (PVE I mean). However, you should be able to do it.

The key would be to do:

1. Story Mode flashpoints. These should continue giving you better gear and tech fragments.
2. Daily Onderon quests. These reward some boxes and tech frags. I don't think Ossus gives you any gear boxes, but I can't be sure.
3. Onderon weekly. Another few boxes.
4. Personal/guild conquest rewards. These may contain valuable set pieces for your Class (not discipline).

As you get enough tech fragments, make sure to replace your lowest gear pieces using the tech frag vendor on the fleet. Little by little, you can reach 306 using this vendor.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

sharkfishman
11.17.2019 , 05:42 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
I haven't read the guide above so apologies, but my main is currently 291 and I have a Legacy bank full of stuff to get about 4-5 other toons to a comfortable 286 at the moment. I do things my own way and have barely touched group content (save for this past week as I did 5 Veteran FPs for the weekly/Conquest).

What I've done most is run Solo/Story FPs, especially all the SoR related ones as they're my favorite. They're easy enough to do and the bosses have been dropping upgrades for me. It's usually 1-2 items of the same item level I've got, and then 1-2 upgrade pieces per boss. Give or take a little less/more at times with the nature of RNG but I've consistently gotten at least 3 pieces of upgrades per FP, on top of tech fragments and potential upgrades from Renown/Reward boxes.

When I have 3/4th of a new level set (aka mostly 284 gear with a few 280/282 pieces left), I go to the vendor on the fleet to purchase replacements for those last few 280/282 pieces and always end up with the next, 284, or sometimes it'll proc a 286 item. Keeps my fragments below cap as well and boosts me up to the next 'level' so I'll start getting 286 drops in FPs. And it goes on like that. I always make sure to equip the highest item level stuff too, even if the stats look a little iffy.

I've also been doing Onderon weekly/dailies quite a bit, mostly for rep, but it's helped my renown ranks and those reward caches have dropped some really nice things as well.

I'm not up to 306 like everyone else is but I've also never been a hardcore player or someone who's made a lot of effort for gear as I just go about my own things and play the story. Still, what I've been doing in the past week has felt easy and relaxing, doing it at my own pace and still getting nice stuff. For being a filthy casual, I'd say 291 isn't too bad. My way may not be what's recommended or advised but it's what works for me and I'm happy.
I guess you type faster than me, lol.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

TrixxieTriss
11.17.2019 , 06:29 PM | #36

3:

Sorry, I had not updated my OP since the 6.0.1 patch dropped the refund timer option to store tech frags. I have amended my OP.

It seems you are stuck at one of the artificial humps or gates in your gearing. This happens to all of us a few times as we level. For me it was going between green to blue, blue to purple and then purple to gold.

For some reason the right iRated drops can dry up at those points if you arenít pushing higher than your current rating.
After talking to many other players about their experiences and mine, my conclusion is Bioware have done this on purpose to make you use the RNG vendor when you get stuck.

The way to over come your situation is to make sure you have gear that is at or very close (with in 1 lvl) of your current iRating. If you have one piece that is too low, it will be slowing you down and can even stop the gear progressing. This is the offending piece you need to address first.

You can do this by using the RNG vendor to buy one. Usually, it will give you an item slightly higher than your iRating and this helps you over the gate. Sometimes itís as simple as upgrading an ear or hilt, mod, etc to bump up your rating.
If you have more than one offending piece or your gear has lots of variance between the highest and lowest, you may have to do this a few time because you will mostly get gear from drops if your iRating is similar across all your gear.

The other thing that can affect iRating is what content you play. If you are only playing pvp, then Iím sad to say, you wonít progress very fast or fairly because itís busted. It seems from my experience and others that the drops are always 2-8 lvls below your iRating, which make gearing neigh impossibly in pvp. ie, Iím iRating 306, but pvp drops 292-298 stuff for me most of the time. The highest items Iíve received in pvp was 302 and 300. FYI, Iíve on received 4 of those compared to a whole inventories worth of purple stuff.

Sadly for pvpers, the best way to gear is not in pvp . Many of us jumped to grinding flash points to get our gear. Veteran mode drops enough gear for a solo player until you reach around 292. Then you will slow down if you arenít doing master mode, which requires at least 2 people for most people.
Even in master mode, you will often get gear lower than your iRating. This is where you deconstruct enough to build up your stash of tech frags. So it is still worth it even if you arenít getting higher gear all the time. At least you will be getting a lot more gear, 2-5 pieces per boss = 6-15 pieces per run.

Lastly, if you have a treasure hunting profession, you can run the lvl 10 ďboxĒ missions to get to 276 (the highest it drops is 278, but I only got a couple of those). Their are only 2 x lvl 10 box missions, but for lvl 50 companions, it takes them about 3mins to complete. The more treasure hunting characters you have, the faster it will be. I have a lot, so it took me just 50 mins to get all lvl 276 blue gear.
You will get a lot of stuff that is worthless or below your lvl. Treasure hunting missions do not look at your iRating and you can even get the 270+ gear from them on low lvl characters, ie lvl 20. All the stuff you donít need, just deconstruct. You get 2-5 tech frags per piece. When ever Iím on with one of those Alts, my comps are continuously running those missions to get stuff to deconstruct for tech frags.

Anyway, I hope that helps. If you need any more help or you have questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer them.

JainiaDral
11.17.2019 , 07:01 PM | #37

3:

The big one-- you're not getting anywhere solo without spending tech fragments. So get ready to hear your favorite lotto vendor shouting at you at least once a day. My main is iLevel 303 now with some 306 pieces, and it's because I'm using my legacy and rewards across multiple 75's to fuel her.

1. Story Flashpoints. And don't do multiple flashpoints in a row.

This one's kind of weird. Pre-patch, I'd been grinding the first two bosses of Vet. Red Reaper because I'd get a decent drop or two. Post-patch, the drops dried up. I was solid gold, iLevel 302, but I was starting to see purple 290s without a single hint of gold. So, just to check, last night I dumped Red Reaper from my quest log and ran Story Korriban Incursion, then Story Legacy of the Rakata. Korriban got me two 306 relic drops off the last boss, raising my iLevel to 303. Legacy of the Rakata got me one 302 piece (I'm working on 304) and one mod at 300. The rest, really low-rated purples.

I think Bioware sneaked in some kind of anti-grind algorithm into rewards to keep us moving through content. So if you love flashpoints, you're going to have to mix it up. But based on getting gold rewards from story mode, I'm thinking trying to grind vet stuff isn't worth the stress anymore.

2. KOTFE/ET chapters

You get a "story crate" from each one when you complete it, except ch. 9. My JK got a 300-rated piece (think she's at 301 overall) from one last night. So it's possible to get decent level gear from them.

3. Conquest + Renown crates

Both give you tech fragments to gear your main. If you see one of your 75's close to the next crate, grind it out if you're close to 325-350 frags. That's a new piece for your main. Plus, if you're running old dailies, you're going to ding at least a couple of crates and a few hundred more frags in the process.

4. Onderon dailies/weekly

This one got mentioned already. Pub side is less grindy than Imp side now that they fixed the crashed ship daily.

5. Treasure Hunting

Oops, mentioned above me. Sorry!

Linuxizer
11.17.2019 , 09:59 PM | #38
Here is a simple guide to gearing up.

9. Itís important to have a full set of 268 iRated gear to then store for your other Alts.

** note ** Level 75 and 270+ iRated gearing,

10. When you get to lvl 75, you will hopefully be getting 270 gear, as you lvl the gear, itís important to watch that iRating or you will not get higher gear (very fast, if at all). That means watching all pieces and not just concentrating on getting up one piece you can min max.

11. You can achieve number 10 by also ripping out armoring, mods and enhancements. Even if you just rip out a 272 mod to a 270 hand, it can eventually contribute to your over all iRating.

Anyway, I hope that help people with gearing up. And I hope I havenít missed anything in my explanation.
The biggest challenge Iíve found so far is the ďhouse keepingĒ of all the gear in my legacy storage and making sure I donít deconstruct anything too early.
Thank you for the guide. I've reached an iRating of 305 so far. I've been playing since 2013 and never had highest level gear at any time before V6.0. I've never done ops or pvp and don't need highest level gear, but if it's in reach, why not go for it, right?

Here are some things I did or will do differently (not necessarily for the better):

- From level 70 to 75, I used the Dark vs. Light legacy armor for the XP bonus.

- I didn't want to do Red Reaper, and managed to get from iRating 268 to 297 by doing Onderon Dailies and Weeklies, Mek-Sha Heroics and GSF, all solo.

- I spent tech fragments along the way to keep the iRating going up and didn't buy any set bonus piece or tactical.

- I finally gave in and did Red Reaper veteran mode 10 times this weekend to go from 297 to 305.

- Moddable green or blue shells with lower green or blue mods or no mods are valuable! The reason is the high cost of removing old purple or gold mods, as we progress from about 290 to 304 and get new, better mods. Instead of upgrading an existing shell over and over, I would put the mods in a different shell each time, and sell the old shell to vendor. Armor shells are easy to get from Alliance Crates. Mainhand and Offhand shells are harder to come by and should be saved for later use, especially if they have low iRating. The orange ones from Collections are not as good because you can't sell or deconstruct them.

- I deconstruct only the items worth less than 2000 credits.

- I only have one set of clothes for all my level 75 toons. They all log off naked

- I park all my tank toons for now and wait until I get to 306 with my non-tank toons. Then I will start to build a second set of legacy clothes for the tank toons.

- I've gotten to 281 on another server. I'm going to stop that and just buy cartel coins to transfer a toon with 306 gear from my main server to each of the other servers.
Starfighter videos on youtube

Referral link: https://www.swtor.com/r/jBHrWL

Sarova
11.19.2019 , 09:32 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
<everything you suggested>
Quote: Originally Posted by sharkfishman View Post
Well, that was unexpected! Many thanks all three of you for the advice! I cut and pasted everything to create a document for future reference (a bit nerdy but I need that help).

Quote: Originally Posted by JainiaDral View Post
The big one-- you're not getting anywhere solo without spending tech fragments. So get ready to hear your favorite lotto vendor shouting at you at least once a day.
This is not helping. All the items available from the tech gear vendor are BELOW my current ilevel and I am unable to see the ilevel until it's bought. Since once bought they can no longer be refunded, I've had to stash them or destroy them because they are lower than what I have equipped. Kai Zykken only ever offers me crap I can't use and I'm not chancing it with the RNG vendor. Do the items on the class tech fragment gear vendor offer higher item level gear as yours levels up? I find that hard to believe.
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treatsô
Add an option to switch off vendor icons
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

JainiaDral
11.19.2019 , 05:10 PM | #40
Well, that was unexpected! Many thanks all three of you for the advice! I cut and pasted everything to create a document for future reference (a bit nerdy but I need that help).

This is not helping. All the items available from the tech gear vendor are BELOW my current ilevel and I am unable to see the ilevel until it's bought. Since once bought they can no longer be refunded, I've had to stash them or destroy them because they are lower than what I have equipped. Kai Zykken only ever offers me crap I can't use and I'm not chancing it with the RNG vendor. Do the items on the class tech fragment gear vendor offer higher item level gear as yours levels up? I find that hard to believe.
Are you using Takenna on the Imp side? The vendor behind the big desk. The lotto vendor is pretty much going to always give you an upgrade unless you get one of those moddable pieces. Then, you might get a downgrade if the RNG on the mods doesn't favor you. Rip out the good mod, or disintegrate the piece.

Otherwise, if you get a fixed-stat adaptive piece, it'll be a significant upgrade over what you're currently wearing. Stay away from the Unidentified Equipment piece at 250 frags-- but slot-specific unidentified stuff is usually a pretty sure bet. I'd estimate your chances of getting a useable upgraded piece at over 95%.

Ex. When I was at iLevel 303, the RNG vendor was giving me 306 upgrades from my 302s.

You're far away from using class vendors, Kai Zykken, or any set bonus stuff. Don't even worry about that until you're at 305 or 306. Most of your gear at this point is stuff you're going to be wearing for a day or two at maximum as you progress through the ranks.

Right now, I'm at 305, with three or four 304 pieces remaining, and most of that is thanks to the RNG vendor. The solo path takes longer, so you have to be willing to jettison the kinds of wisdom that work for people who grind group stuff heavily. The first thing to get rid of is the need for certainty. That's just going to hold you back in the new gearing system.