A Quick Thankyou to Whoever....

DarthSpuds

Let me start of by saying I hate PvP in MMORPGs.

Have never liked it because no MMORPG has come close, IMO, of having reasonably balanced PvP (LOTRO comes semi-close by having PvMP).

But it seems to do the Alliance thing I need to do some PvP.

So I just knuckled down to give it a go.

I have no clue what I am supposed to be doing.

I have no clue about gearing.

I have no clue about the Maps.

I have no clue about various map mechanics for attaining victory.

And if I am being totally honest I don't think I care enough about PvP to bother to learn all that.

I just played 5 WZ in a row, and in one of them, a player whose name I didn't catch said "nice charge" to me after I had charged the enemy and got stuck in (I'm an Assassin Tank) - he didn't have to, I'm fairly certain that anyone who sees me in a WZ will see straight away I am a total PvP noob who has no idea what he is doing.

But that guy may just have started to change my mind about PvP in MMORPGs - because one of the most off-putting elements of MMORPG PvP is usually the toxic playerbase who harangue newcomers to death and drive them away.

So, whoever it was who offered a simple word of encouragement - thanks.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

ok, aside from the complete snark that fills your entire post, let's talk a bit about this. Did you bother doing ANY research before you just decided to pvp? it's not a prerequisite, no, but there is a ton of information about gearing and the different war zones and how to counter this or that. But, as you said, you don't really care to learn it anyway. Do you raid in grean gear too? Not bother avoiding red circles. Ignoring mechanics? Put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself if PvEers wouldn't act the same way after 5 wipes. You are not FORCED to PvP. You made a choice to do it. Either learn something about what you are doing or be prepared for people to be rude. We have been dealing with the "Piercers" since KotFE came out and it gets really tiresome. So before you cry toxic community, try looking in the mirror.

So the PVE community in contrast to the PVP community is a nice little care bear hug group? They wont rage at me for not reading up on ops beforehand, stand in red circles on the floor or actually have passable performance in the ops? They wont rage at me if I cause a wipe with only 4% left on the boss fight?

Because just reading fleet chat I get the impression the pve community is an elitist bunch of douchebags. Because why else would you need hard mode achievements to queue for story mode ops through the group finder? Or optimised 220 gear or whatever the best pve gear that drops.

ok, aside from the complete snark that fills your entire post, let's talk a bit about this. Did you bother doing ANY research before you just decided to pvp? it's not a prerequisite, no, but there is a ton of information about gearing and the different war zones and how to counter this or that. But, as you said, you don't really care to learn it anyway. Do you raid in grean gear too? Not bother avoiding red circles. Ignoring mechanics? Put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself if PvEers wouldn't act the same way after 5 wipes. You are not FORCED to PvP. You made a choice to do it. Either learn something about what you are doing or be prepared for people to be rude. We have been dealing with the "Piercers" since KotFE came out and it gets really tiresome. So before you cry toxic community, try looking in the mirror.

Hold your horses mate.

I wasn't being snarky, I was being honest - as a general rule I don't like PvP in MMORPGs.

No, I didn't do any research at all.

My relics are 178 Blue, and everything else is 200 Purple or better.

I get out of red circles as soon as I can - its called common sense.

I never said we wiped 5 times. In fact the PUG team I was on won one match.

I am forced to do PvP; part of the KOTFE Alliance Storyline is locked behind PvP; honestly I wish MMORPG producers wouldn't do it, but they know it is the ONLY way that 80% of their players will ever PvP (IIRC only around 15-20% of MMORPG players regularly PvP). SO perhaps BW thought it necessary to do this in order to make continued support of PvP economically viable.

I never said anyone was rude - quite the opposite.

I never said the community here was toxic, just that I had often encountered such in other games.

Please don't blame the players for being "Piercers" most PvE-ers would be very happy to never have to PvP, but Bioware gated that part of the Alliance behind PvP - so blame them.

All The Best

All I care about when PVP'ing is that peoples try there best. But all to often I see this "I don't care" attitude, "I am just gonna go YOLO over here, screw my team they can go **** themselves". And then they are like "Oh no my team is mad at me, they are all such elitist morons". And then there is the actually elitist PVP'er who thinks that PVP can survive without new peoples, runs around and calls everyone noobs while at the same time flaming peoples who're just looking to improve at PVP, for not being good enough. PVP is a 2 sided coin, and both sides are at fault. Which one is at more fault than the other? Well idk. The guy looking to improve at PVP, kudos to you for actually caring. To the guy who just jumps in and ignores everyone else, at least try to be helpful to your team. And finally the elitist, be more open minded, pvp needs new peoples, and yes more often than not they are not gonna be very good right off the bat.

Getting praise in PVP is rare, I often top DPS and get the highest objective score, but unless I am in a premade I ain't getting any praise whatsoever. That is why I am gonna recommend finding a few peoples to q with, trust me when I say PVP is gonna be over 3x as fun.

/endrant

just played 5 WZ in a row, and in one of them, a player whose name I didn't catch said "nice charge" to me after I had charged the enemy and got stuck in (I'm an Assassin Tank)

What did you get stuck in? Why is it a part of Darkness? Inquiring minds want to know what has happened.

Edited by DomiSotto

Hold your horses mate.

I wasn't being snarky, I was being honest - as a general rule I don't like PvP in MMORPGs.

No, I didn't do any research at all.

My relics are 178 Blue, and everything else is 200 Purple or better.

I get out of red circles as soon as I can - its called common sense.

I never said we wiped 5 times. In fact the PUG team I was on won one match.

I am forced to do PvP; part of the KOTFE Alliance Storyline is locked behind PvP; honestly I wish MMORPG producers wouldn't do it, but they know it is the ONLY way that 80% of their players will ever PvP (IIRC only around 15-20% of MMORPG players regularly PvP). SO perhaps BW thought it necessary to do this in order to make continued support of PvP economically viable.

I never said anyone was rude - quite the opposite.

I never said the community here was toxic, just that I had often encountered such in other games.

Please don't blame the players for being "Piercers" most PvE-ers would be very happy to never have to PvP, but Bioware gated that part of the Alliance behind PvP - so blame them.

All The Best

No one gated anything. There is no prerequisite that requires anyone to have Pierce/M14x.

The toxic environment and PVP elitism existed long before Kotfe, in fact 3 years ago my first day in the game, leaving then Thton to do a WZ since that and other Things like going to fleet etc opened in the game.

I went there, I DIDN*T REASEARCH since I was i the middle of the game, a game I at the time ound super cool and fun, With tons of Nice soscial People willing to help.

Then I made the biggest mistake that could be done in SWTOR, nd I say the biggest mistake in this game for a reason.

I did what I suspect every New player does, I wanted to give the "New" stuff a chance, I read the short info given and then I quueud up.

What happened?

What ALLWAYS happens, I went to a wz, which one I can't recall, but one of them, and there was ONLY toxic comments, the fact I was New to the game etc had absolutely no bearing on the leitists who already at that time had monopolized the unraked zones With their strange Logic about being in the right since they didn't like the ranked maps, however ONLY they are in the right to make such choises...and when they then leve the ranked zones they make demands that are out of this world and keeps up the toxidity in the pvp areas.

I allways advice People NEVER to bother, other to get the endgame Companion and then I tell them is only to "be there" for 20 matches......if Lucky you have it done in a day. then you don't need to bother about the poison players ny more.

Since that dy back in 2012, I have done pvp enough to get the driod, but hardly anything else.

For the life of me I can not understand the mindset of the PVP majority:

They are unhappy With "their" content, so they inade "Our" content and then begin to "own" it since THEY are unhappy With their own content they THINK they have the right.

This is why I am a pvp hater and why I ahve yet to see much positivety in pvp.

Now the dream would be to meet mature adults in a wz, People that understand not their cahracter's abilities, but their TACTICAL ROLES, meaning using their strength rather then complaining about ohers.

Ballancing cries........allways from the PVP commuity, and ALLWAYS the effects impact PVE radically.Again 100% elitism and pvp community being in the wrong.

In fact the main reason People do leave the game is the toxic pvp

Had the pvp ben less toxic I would have loved I love it in other games With adult bing the players, not AFFLUENZA teens complaining about all the silliest things

No one gated anything. There is no prerequisite that requires anyone to have Pierce/M14x.

Perhaps you misunderstand the term gating in relation to MMORPGs.

It means placing something behind an achievement that must be completed to access that something.

So having Pierce/M1-4X IS gated. End Of.

Now, it may be that there is nothing that requires me to have Pierce/M4-1X, at this exact moment; but we don't yet know what happens in chapters subsequent to Ch9 - and it may be that you have to have them to unlock other alliance or story content later.

All The Best

Would you be fine with a huge influx of players with no knowledge of anything suddenly running operations? Would it annoy you if someone with terrible gear decided to join a HM FP or some random operation? What if they told you: "I am only here to unlock a new warzone map. I don't care about wasting all of your time with my lack of understanding of gear, tactics and symbiotic play style." You would be fine with that?

Don't get me wrong though. I mostly blame BW for this, but have the decency to not complain about us being annoying with your openly stated lack of effort. People like you are part of what is ruining what stale and limited PVP this game has to offer.

(Note: I have no idea if someone with terrible gear can even enter the above mentioned FP or OP. Perhaps there is some mechanic in place to prevent such players from entering like we have in ranked.)

Edited by Lundorff

The toxic environment and PVP elitism existed long before Kotfe, in fact 3 years ago my first day in the game, leaving then Thton to do a WZ since that and other Things like going to fleet etc opened in the game.

I went there, I DIDN*T REASEARCH since I was i the middle of the game, a game I at the time ound super cool and fun, With tons of Nice soscial People willing to help.

Then I made the biggest mistake that could be done in SWTOR, nd I say the biggest mistake in this game for a reason.

I did what I suspect every New player does, I wanted to give the "New" stuff a chance, I read the short info given and then I quueud up.

What happened?

What ALLWAYS happens, I went to a wz, which one I can't recall, but one of them, and there was ONLY toxic comments, the fact I was New to the game etc had absolutely no bearing on the leitists who already at that time had monopolized the unraked zones With their strange Logic about being in the right since they didn't like the ranked maps, however ONLY they are in the right to make such choises...and when they then leve the ranked zones they make demands that are out of this world and keeps up the toxidity in the pvp areas.

I allways advice People NEVER to bother, other to get the endgame Companion and then I tell them is only to "be there" for 20 matches......if Lucky you have it done in a day. then you don't need to bother about the poison players ny more.

Since that dy back in 2012, I have done pvp enough to get the driod, but hardly anything else.

For the life of me I can not understand the mindset of the PVP majority:

They are unhappy With "their" content, so they inade "Our" content and then begin to "own" it since THEY are unhappy With their own content they THINK they have the right.

This is why I am a pvp hater and why I ahve yet to see much positivety in pvp.

Now the dream would be to meet mature adults in a wz, People that understand not their cahracter's abilities, but their TACTICAL ROLES, meaning using their strength rather then complaining about ohers.

Ballancing cries........allways from the PVP commuity, and ALLWAYS the effects impact PVE radically.Again 100% elitism and pvp community being in the wrong.

In fact the main reason People do leave the game is the toxic pvp

Had the pvp ben less toxic I would have loved I love it in other games With adult bing the players, not AFFLUENZA teens complaining about all the silliest things

Right so PVEr's never rag on peeps when they don't do research and know the fights, have proper gear or god forbid cause a raid to fail your full of it mate. I have seen some harsh vitriol because tanks didn't do something right or healers failed to heal so its on both sides.

Yeah i'll grant we may cry out for balance because a jug dps shouldn't have the survivability of a tank when going up against other DPS and require 3 others to take him out or Sorc heals which currently are way to op for PVP or lol ops with there infinite stab stab stab stab roll stab stab stab roll bs because it ruins it for the other classes.

Now I would be completely okay with having abilities only for PVP so it doesn't mess up PVE so I wouldn't have to listen to you whine about how the nerf made it hard for you to kill the big bad NPC. As for Toxic, PVErs can be just as toxic if not more so when someone screws up their raid.

However, The real reason you hate it is you did something stupid and it drew a reaction from others who called you a bunch of names like noob and your feelings were hurt and because you were raised by some liberal wussifed parents who stressed that everyone gets a trophy and you didn't get bad grades only check marks they didn't prepare you to deal with failing and criticism and the harshness of life and are therefore unable to deal with it save to make useless posts telling peeps how unfair & mean PVP is when in reality they're peeps in PVP that would have been happy to help had you asked them.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Would you be fine with a huge influx of players with no knowledge of anything suddenly running operations? Would it annoy you if someone with terrible gear decided to join a HM FP or some random operation? What if they told you: "I am only here to unlock a new warzone map. I don't care about wasting all of your time with my lack of understanding of gear, tactics and symbiotic play style." You would be fine with that?

I would be 100% fine with that; I have absolutely no business telling someone else how to play their game UNLESS I am paying their subs for them.

Don't get me wrong though. I mostly blame BW for this, but have the decency to not complain about us being annoying with your openly stated lack of effort.

Please show me where I have complained about anything in this thread.

All The Best

Perhaps you misunderstand the term gating in relation to MMORPGs.

It means placing something behind an achievement that must be completed to access that something.

So having Pierce/M1-4X IS gated. End Of.

Now, it may be that there is nothing that requires me to have Pierce/M4-1X, at this exact moment; but we don't yet know what happens in chapters subsequent to Ch9 - and it may be that you have to have them to unlock other alliance or story content later.

All The Best

Dispite Your claim of knowlege you are wrong

M1 opens future Companions, none which have PVP requirements, only pe,

by Your Logic these are off for both and thus the game devs shoudnt have added them?

Stupid

Here is a fact!

M1 mission are PVP introductions, and they are made to appear mandantory much like the initial mission called intoduction to wzs etc. you get after start planet.

However since the intoduction of the leveling token, MANY New players will use this to Access the endgame and thus "need" another pvp intoduction, since they now are missing out on the initial one.

So the dev team had to figure out how, and to add pvp as a requisite for a very popular Companion was perhaps not a bad idea.

The problem is that most PVP minded players that play here do not underatnd tht in a MMO With 10% roughly PVP content PVP will never be the MAIN thing, it may be the player's main thing, but it will never be the Dev teams MAIN thing.

90=% is more profitable then 10%

I feel like a clarification is in order here, OP.

OP was complaining about the fact that he is forced to do PvP if he wants to get a companion, not about PvP. He also said that he genuinely appreciated that one person who encouraged him in a warzone, and that it made him feel better about PvP.

So all comments about how pve'rs are ruining PvP have nothing to do with this thread.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP was complaining about the fact that he is forced to do PvP if he wants to get a companion, not about PvP. He also said that he genuinely appreciated that one person who encouraged him in a warzone, and that it made him feel better about PvP.

So all comments about how pve'rs are ruining PvP have nothing to do with this thread.

^ This is correct.

If other ppl have misunderstood what I intended I can only apologise.

All The Best

Whether you believe me or not is of no consequence to me.

People who have gamed with me know what I have said to be the truth; because anyone who knows me even remotely well also knows I don't lie.

I don't get to tell someone how to play their game unless I am paying for it; and the flip side is unless you are paying for my subs you don't get to tell me how to play my game.

It is the only sensible, logical, and fair-minded way to be; I mean (and I hate using such an over-used buzzword) how entitled would I have to be to think I had any right to tell someone else how I wanted them to play the game.

All The Best

You and your reading comprehension skills....pffft. Embrace ignorance or ****!

:p

(LOTRO comes semi-close by having PvMP).

Comes close to what? Having balanced PvP? That must be the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long while. LotRO has the most unbalanced PvP in any MMO that I have ever seen. The reason I quit LotRO was that I could outheal more than ten players at once on a healing class. Even sorc healers aren't that crazy.

Comes close to what? Having balanced PvP? That must be the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long while. LotRO has the most unbalanced PvP in any MMO that I have ever seen. The reason I quit LotRO was that I could outheal more than ten players at once on a healing class. Even sorc healers aren't that crazy.

But balance can be bought to LOTRO PvMP WITHOUT the need to change anything at all PvE side.

So it is much easier to achieve that balance, and when I was PvMPing there was much closer balance than in any other MMORPG. That balance has drifted and not been rectified is an issue - but were the will present I guarantee that LOTRO could be balanced quicker and cheaper than most other MMORPGs.

MMORPG are simply not the correct platform for well balanced PvP; it is many times more difficult to achieve than in something like a FPS game. In fact the most balanced PvP I have seen was in America's Army 2.x series, because both teams had the EXACT same loudouts and abilities - PvP then becomes almost entirely based on skill (not FOTM builds and gear). I enjoyed my time with AA, even competing in a few Leagues - although I was never better than just above average.

All that said, the thanks in my original post remains, and when I next get a few days off work I will return to SWTOR PvP and see what I can learn.

All The Best

I just played 5 WZ in a row, and in one of them, a player whose name I didn't catch said "nice charge" to me after I had charged the enemy and got stuck in (I'm an Assassin Tank) - he didn't have to, I'm fairly certain that anyone who sees me in a WZ will see straight away I am a total PvP noob who has no idea what he is doing.

But that guy may just have started to change my mind about PvP in MMORPGs - because one of the most off-putting elements of MMORPG PvP is usually the toxic playerbase who harangue newcomers to death and drive them away.

So, whoever it was who offered a simple word of encouragement - thanks.

All The Best

Hey DarthSpuds, no problem man. I seen that charge that you did, and the timing was unbelievable. I had to let you know you did well, as I always try to spread the love in warzones. It betters morale for one...

I suspect you actually could become quite elite in PVP if you stuck with it, only because you seem to have those intangibles and foresight that only the best have.

With all of that being said, I appreciate the fact you appreciate the fact I complimented you and took notice of your actions in the warzone!

Keep up the good work, don't get discouraged by trolls (on the forums or in the game), and keep queing for those wz matches! You will only get better, as improvement only requires a couple things:

1. Practice

2. Diligence to keep practicing

Over time your skills will become finely honed like a razor-sharp blade steadily and continuously sharpened on a sharpening stone!

I bid you farewell and adieu, mon-cher!

Sincerely, Lhancelot.

P.S. Not all PVPers are trolls and ******s, it's not fair to generalize all players by what ingame activities they prefer whether it's RP, PVP, or PVE. All of these facets of the game have friendly players partaking, just as well as having real hard windowlickers from hell. You just have to ignore the noise sometimes, put the blinders on, and enjoy the game for what it has to offer, IMO. The people can add to the expereince or take away from it, depending on how you process them.

Ok, so I wasn't exactly the same guy who complimented DarthSpuds... But, who cares?! He thanked someone, and all that was needed was a simple "your welcome", and/or message acknowledging that YES, PVPers ARE NOT ALL SCUMBAGS. That's all that needed written in response to his letter of thanks IMO.

I'm fairly certain "nice charge" was a back-handed coment. I guess not knowing that would change the tone of the OP to something i had not considered. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but i think you were getting trolled.

I'm fairly certain "nice charge" was a back-handed coment. I guess not knowing that would change the tone of the OP to something i had not considered. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but i think you were getting trolled.

I don't see what that has to do with anything... OP said that the comment, back handed or not, made him feel better about PvP and pvp'ers. Who cares if it was a troll or not?

It would actually be funny if the guy was a troll, since it completely backfired...