No Death, Only Wrath: Volume 3

bright_ephemera

And Nalenne continues to be wonderful. :D I like where you seem to be going with this; merging the two faction storylines does seem much more efficient, considering that the overall plot is the same.

I wish Rho good luck. I think he's going to need it. ;)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Nalenne continues to be wonderful. :D I like where you seem to be going with this; merging the two faction storylines does seem much more efficient, considering that the overall plot is the same.

I wish Rho good luck. I think he's going to need it. ;)

Unlike the level 1-50 planets or Makeb, SOR is one story with slight flavoring differences. I can't imagine the Imperial and Republic stories running truly in parallel unless Lana and Theron spend 80% of their time dashing from one safehouse to another briefing unsuspecting Imperial and Republic groups to do the same work twice. Which, come to think of it, might've been kind of entertaining.

I'm struggling with Rho's crew specifically but I have an idea to go forward with. The Red Hulls have a bright future.

Part 3-41. In which a reunion occurs

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan Rishi questline. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

This story contains very minor spoilers for the HK-51 acquisition questline.

I start taking liberties pretty early in this storyline.

There once was an android assassin

On targets galore he would fasten.

One shot to one kill

Was his ratio; still,

His social skills barely were passin’.

Nalenne, Rho, Jaesa, and Vette stood amidst the splinters of a former wall. People on the boardwalk were giving them a wide berth, as well they might since the announcement that Rho and Nalenne were leaders of the cannibalistic Red Hull pirates. Nalenne was feeling pretty good about things so far.

And then the upper edge of the jagged hole in the wall was knocked out of place by a gleaming durasteel head. The head was attached to a body. The body was attached to a truly improbably long sniper rifle.

The droid spoke.

"Observation: That fight could have gone much more smoothly with the early and emphatic application of superior firepower. Such as mine."

"You have an HK series?" said Nalenne, suddenly rapt.

"You know what an HK series is?" said Rho, suddenly worried.

"HK-47! Hero of Dantooine! Unless you were the locals, I guess. Revan's right-hand droid! There’s a whole spinoff series about him! Of course I recognize an HK!" She checked herself. "Wait. What are you doing with one?"

"It's a long story," said Rho. "Very long. With lots of walking in slow circles. But he's been a great force for good since I met him."

"Statement: I have eliminated many undesirables in the master's service," said the droid. "Passive-aggressive coda: not as many as I had the opportunity for."

“Do you have a brother?” said Nalenne.

“No,” Rho said hurriedly. HK-51 said something, not as loudly, followed by “Correction: Master, you cannot disable my vocabulator by Force pushing on my mouth.”

“I was just telling Nalenne ‘no,’” said Rho. His green eyes spoke desperation. “Now. I was close to solving the mystery of who’s been spreading these rumors about us. There’s a holocall with a local pirate who was ‘tipped off’ to our coming. It’s stored on a datapad. But when I went to retrieve the datapad…”

“Supplementary information: A monkey-lizard stole it,” said HK-51. “I regret that I did not get a shot off in time.”

“Our sole lead on the maniac that’s been dragging us into this bizarro world, and you let a monkey-lizard take it?”

“He was really fast,” Rho said miserably.

“So we have to find a monkey-lizard with a datapad in all…” she gestured around… “this?”

“It’s supposed to have a tracker on it,” said Rho. “That can narrow it down to the street at least.”

“Suggestion: I can clear the street once we have identified it.”

“That won’t be necessary,” said Rho.

“Don’t be so sure,” said Nalenne.

Part 3-42. In which Nalenne and Rho seek a plot device

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan Rishi questline. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

When seeking a criminal chum,

Don’t let pet selection be dumb.

A pirate, a parrot,

The pairing’s got merit -

Just watch for the droppings therefrom.

“Hands off the monkey-lizard!”

“Did it hand you a datapad in the last half-hour?”

“Shove off, baldy!”

“Oh, that was the wrong thing to say.” Nalenne raised one hand and focused on a Force choke on the grizzled pirate. “Did. You get. A datapad. Flail for yes, go limp for no.”

Gagging, the pirate made what appeared to be a titanic attempt to stay still.

“There now. That wasn’t so bad.” She let her hand fall and the pirate slammed to his chair, clutching his throat. “Red Bulls.”

“Hulls,” corrected Rho.

“Red Hulls. Spread the word.” Nalenne moved on.

“There has to be a better way to do this,” said Rho.

“Then why don’t you run along and find it?” Nalenne gestured down the boardwalk with its hodgepodge of storefronts and liberal sprinkling of sidewalk tables. “I’ll just keep working here.”

“Excuse me, sir,” said Rho, “did your monkey-lizard–”

“Pike off,” growled the lady pirate.

Nalenne watched. When Rho looked at her she raised her eyebrows expectantly.

“Er, please?” essayed Rho.

“Where’s our fearsome reputation when we need it?” said Nalenne. “Come on, let’s try the next one. Hey, you! The Red Skulls–”

“Hulls–” coughed Rho–

“–the Red Hulls want a datapad! Did your monkey-lizard take it?”

The Nikto heaved to his feet. “What if ‘e did?” he rumbled.

“Then I’m going to take it back,” said Nalenne. “And probably eat you and all your little friends, too.”

The Nikto backed down. “Whoa. Let’s not get crazy here.”

“Didn’t think so,” she said, with satisfaction. “All right, next!”

They wended their way down the boardwalk, accosting everyone with a monkey lizard and some without, Rho looking increasingly green as she went – and, correspondingly, Nalenne getting increasingly red.

“GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONKEY-LIZARDS,” she howled at the last table of pirates. “OR BE EATEN, MESSILY.”

The pirates exchanged looks.

“Hey, Dev,” said one. “Think this is about that datapad?”

“Yes!” Rho said relievedly. “Yes, it is! Would you please hand it over?”

“How much are you willing to give for such a nice outcome?” oozed the pirate.

“Well, I–”

“How about your life, for starters,” snarled Nalenne, and raised another Force choke. “Red Hulls forever!”

“At least you got our name right,” muttered Rho. “Is this really necessary?”

“It’s simple. If they like him, just one little squeeze is necessary. If they don’t, I’ll have to kill him and then start on the next guy.” She smiled. With teeth.

One of the pirates leaned forward, frowning. “Uh, which next guy, exactly? Just out of curiosity.”

Still holding one hand aloft to crush the unfortunate first pirate’s throat, Nalenne made a show of counting off between the other two. “Hmm, eenie, meenie, miney, moe, catch tuk’ata by the toe, spin him ‘round and let him go…oh, who am I kidding, you.” She pointed at the pirate who had spoken up.

Said pirate’s Adam’s apple waggled up and down several times before he managed to speak. “Here you go,” he said, and grabbed something beneath the table, and offered Nalenne a datapad.

“Good boy.” Nalenne let her hand fall. The choked pirate fell forward on the table, gasping. “Red Hulls. Don’t forget it.”

"Flail for yes, go limp for no.”

I am still giggling! Poor Rho!

I know where to go, if I need a smile. :D "Red bulls!" I'll never look at a can of that the same way ever again. Rho just doesn't cut it as a dread pirate does he lol. Nalenne however.... :D

I'm still laughing my self silly after reading that :D

:D Rho will get his chance to shine, I promise. Just...not during the cannibalistic piracy phase of his relationship.

Thanks for reading!

Part 3-43. In which Nalenne and Rho check holo records

When public relations are strained,

You may find your actions constrained.

The troubled relations

And grim expectations

May leave your good name (sort of) stained.

“Have you heard about the Red Hulls? Their unholy triad is coming to Rishi, so watch out!”

Nalenne looked at Rho. Rho looked at Nalenne. The bipedal droid sauntered past, its optical sensor scanning the boardwalk with every suggestion of enjoyment despite the local rabble.

“We’ve got the droids mad?” mouthed Nalenne.

“I don’t know,” said Rho. “You do have a way with droids, though.”

“Ugh. That’s the closest thing to a low blow I’ve ever heard you deliver.”

The crew, those that were there, was crowded around a public data terminal. Nalenne hooked up the hard-won datapad and pulled the contents up for view.

“Holo records,” said Nalenne.

“Yes,” said Rho.

“Where’s Quinn?” said Nalenne.

“We sent him back to the ship,” said Vette. “He was sneezing? And complaining about the health and building codes on the docks.”

“Go get him,” said Nalenne.

“I can go through this,” said Rho. “It shouldn’t take long.”

“You’re actually willing to spend your time digging through an entire datapad’s worth of boringite, with or without revanite inclusions.”

“Someone has to do it. Why not me?”

“Do you not have the slightest delusions of importance? I thought they trained Jedi to be too good for everything!”

“A Jedi’s life is service,” said Rho. “Look, a contact named ‘Mystery Woman.’ That sounds odd enough to be ours.”

“It can’t be. I wasn’t done complaining about the indignity of looking for it.”

Rho pushed a button.

Two figures showed up: a man, and a woman in a masked hood that left everything to the imagination paired with fitted clothes that left very little to the imagination.

“Kai Zykken, greetings,” said the masked figure standing opposite the punchworthy pirate. Her voice was heavy with artificial modulation.

The man, Kai Zykken, simpered. “Well, he looks like someone I’d like to punch,” muttered Nalenne. Rho was silent. Nalenne had the overwhelming impression that this was tact speaking.

“I speak to you now to deliver a warning,” continued the masked figure. “The Red Hulls are one of the galaxy’s most feared pirate associations. They have just now set their sights on Rishi. As you know, the Corellian Run Scoundrels owe the Red Hulls a great many credits. There is no telling what will happen when you are discovered.”

“Did she just Force wave?” said Nalenne.

“I think she just Force waved,” Rho said glumly.

“I suggest you herald the gang’s arrival to draw unwanted attention onto them,” continued the woman. “I’m dispatching droids across Raider’s Cove to do the same. Or you could do nothing and suffer the consequences. The choice is yours.” The call blinked out.

“So how are you at identifying women by their cup size?” said Nalenne. “Because that’s the only identifying information I could really get from that recording.”

“!!” said Rho.

“Just asking. Jeez. I guess ‘ID by *ss’ is also out of the question.”

“Why don’t we investigate those droids?” Rho said in a strangled voice. “One passed by just as we were starting this.”

“Right, then. Droid!” Nalenne bounded away from the holoterminal. “Droid! I swear sometimes I try not to let these things escalate with your kind, but…” She made a low lightsaber swing and flung it after the retreating droid, knocking both its legs out from under it.

“I thought you weren’t escalating!” said Rho.

“I wasn’t. Quite the opposite, it’s lower than ever.”

The droid swiveled to face Nalenne and Rho was they walked up, companions in tow. “Greetings to you!” it said cheerfully. “Would you like to hear a true story about the legendary Red Hulls?”

“Oh,” said Nalenne, “do tell.”

The droid’s forward LEDs flashed and blinked. “Oh – I beg your pardon! I didn’t realize it was you! Two out of the three! That’s almost enough for the cannibalistic orgies to start! How exciting! Such a pleasure to make your acquaintance!”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Rho said politely.

“Oh, indeed! My master did not prepare me for the sheer measure of awe I would be required to process! Why, in the time since your arrival you have already defeated the illustrious Gorro and Grumm, brought fear to the Corellian Run Scoundrels and Carida Corsairs…”

“…What?” Rho said defensively. “I was trying to have a polite conversation. With about fifteen people in quick succession.”

“Clarification: Matters took a turn for the violent. Fifteen times in glorious succession.”

“Yes,” groaned Rho, “thank you, HK.”

Nalenne made a token effort to stifle her grin. It fooled no one.

“Even the Nova Blades have taken notice of you!” burbled the droid. “My master would be most impressed!”

“Yes, about that,” said Nalenne. “I want to know who has you broadcasting these stories about me. Give me a name.”

“You may direct any and all questions to my master, as I have been authorized to arrange an introduction.”

“Yes,” said Rho, “do.”

Ah, fanfic, the refuge of the Internet-connected and bored...:)

Part 3-44. In which Nalenne and Rho prepare for the unknown

Dissimilar folk drawing nigh

May find enmity running high.

When gathered together,

These birds’ different feather

Can make it much harder to fly.

“Here we are,” said Rho. “Coordinates and everything.”

“We’re not going in alone,” said Nalenne.

“Why, that’s an excellent idea. Let’s bring our crews in.”

“‘Our’? Do you actually have friends here?”

They were trying to fix the Defender after a misunderstanding with some local ion cannons. I’ll call them.”

“Fine. Tell ‘em to meet – I sent Insanity Company to find a safe place to stay. Why don’t we go inform them they’re pirates now while we’re waiting for your crew to arrive?”

“Don’t we want to talk to the person who started the pirates rumor before we jump into the full impersonation act?”

Nalenne thought about it. Briefly. “No. Come on, I’ll call the company.”

They met in a stifling side-room in the Blaster’s Path cantina. The officership of Insanity Company were all in full uniform, tropical climate be damned. They stood to attention when Nalenne walked in.

And behind her…

“It’s the Hero of Tython!” In the time it took Captain Pandorr to say it, Captain Rutau and Lieutenant Ritter had already fired three blaster bolts each.

Rho whirled his saber out and deflected all six without looking particularly bothered.

“We’re keeping Rho for now,” Nalenne explained, thinking fast. “He’s bait.”

“Bait for…what, exactly?” said Rutau.

“Yes, what?” muttered Rho.

“That’s not important.”

“Query: Master, may I eliminate these undesirables now?”

“No,” said Rho. “We need to learn to work together.”

“Why,” Pandorr said flatly.

“Bigger fish to fry,” Nalenne said glibly. “Here’s the word. Someone spread word that Rho, Nis, and I head up the Red Trulls.”

“What?” said someone from the doorway.

“Hulls,” groaned Rho, covering his face.

“Hi, Kira,” said Jaesa.

“It’s a Jedi!” In the time it took Pandorr to say it, Lieutenant Hareth and Ensign Rylon had already fired three blaster bolts each. Rho and Kira deftly deflected.

“Can we please have a cease-fire long enough for me to finish a sentence?” said Nalenne.

“You tell ‘em,” Jaesa said.

“I didn’t say we were making friends with them,” said Nalenne. “Come on in, Kira. Doc. What’s-his-name. We were just discussing the fact that we’re the baddest pirates in all the galaxy. Well, we’re going to use that. It’ll be a lark.”

Vette shook herself. “Wait, this is fun now?”

“Sure! We’ll have the worst of the worst wetting themselves in terror because we might eat them! It’ll be great!”

“Uh, Rho?” said Kira.

“The whole town has already decided I’m a pirate cannibal,” said Rho. “I don’t see what else we could do. Except, maybe…” he got a lot more diffident… “we could get hats?”

“Pirate hats? Find me one that fits and I’ll sign up,” said Vette.

Jaesa spoke up. “Master, shouldn’t we find out who started these rumors before we–”

“Take control of them? Not at all. I think it’ll be fun.”

“So we’re going to be the Red Hulls,” said Rutau. “But we’re still working for the Empire?”

“Of course we are,” said Nalenne.

Rho made a small sad noise.

“We’re working for the greater good as long as that means the Empire,” clarified Nalenne in what she hoped was a conciliatory tone.

What’s-his-name growled. but Rho nodded grudging agreement. “We are getting the hats, though, right?”

“Of course we’re getting hats,” Nalenne said graciously. “Let’s go do that. And then practice being fearsome pirates.”

“I am not switching out my leg,” Rutau said loudly.

“Yeah,” said Ritter, “but you’re still getting a monkey-lizard.”

“They’re tetchy about those here,” warned Nalenne. “Let’s go.”

I love it :D It always makes me giggle. Love how Rho is excited about getting a pirate hat :D I'm also amused by 'what's-his-name'. I call him that myself half the time lol. That or Felix...because Fideltin is too hard to remember lol.

I adore Rusk as a character. I think he gets little love in a lot of scenarios and sadly apart from the Nalenne vs. Rho battle royale I've never really made the time to use him. But yeah, as far as Nalenne's concerned? Boring Republic Goon #1851153.

Edited by bright_ephemera

A/N: I said at the start that all companions are canonically alive at the start of this series. That wasn’t true. Lord Scourge died during the Helicarrier Chronicles.

Part 3-45. In which awkward adjustments are made

A dress-up in fanciest dress

Reduces a long day’s distress.

So hey, what the hell,

Accessorize well:

At least you’ll look good in this mess.

Sixteen pirate hats, one monkey-lizard, four capes, two eyepatches, one peg leg (“in case you change your mind”), and a few hefty measures of local rum later, Nalenne, Rho, what crew they had brought, and their soldiers met up outside an alley on the port town’s boardwalk.

“Hey,” said Pierce. “This eyepatch feeds into a digital HUD with targeting information. I think I could slice it to work with my rifle.”

“TMI, big guy,” said Vette.

“Just saying. I like the look, too.”

“Good to return to the ship as a genuine Red Skull?” said Nalenne.

Pierce grinned and strutted away.

Broonmark’s fur reasserted its normal orientation. The outsized pirate hat was flung up a few inches and fluttered down to hang lopsidedly off the Talz’s ear tuft.

“All you guys have to do,” said Nalenne, “is wait here and eat anybody who messes with you.”

“Master, the eating people doesn’t happen until all three of you are in one place,” Jaesa said primly.

“No, that’s the unholy orgies of eating people. Just regular eating people can happen at any time.”

Quinn, whose frown was multiple minutes in the making, finally opened his mouth. “My lord, just what were you doing in my absence?”

“Come along and find out!” said Nalenne.

“Sergeant,” cautioned Rho, “we’re not starting a shooting war with Insanity Company.”

The silent Chagrian finally manifested a facial expression, and it wasn’t a happy one. “What if they shoot first?”

“They won’t, because we’re working together for the greater good,” Rho told Nalenne.

“Fine.” Nalenne looked to her soldiers. “Don’t shoot him until we’ve found out how much trouble we’re in on this planet.”

“What if we have a reasonable estimate?” said Ensign Rylon.

“No,” said Nalenne.

Doc, having finished cocking his hat at precisely the right angle, coughed. “Any time you want to move on to a planet where we’re not working with a small convention of psychotic killers would be A-OK with me, boss.”

Rho leaned toward Lieutenant Hareth and scratched the monkey-lizard on her shoulder between the ears. “I think this is a historic opportunity to collaborate without regard to political lines,” he said.

Doc gulped. “I’m not ready to be history just yet.”

Nalenne scowled. “Honestly. Vette? Keep the peace.”

“Yarr,” said Vette from beneath a tricorn hat that might make a creditable boat in its own right. “Me hearties are all gonna play nice unless’n they want te walk the plank.” She looked at the boardwalk beneath her boots. “Planks.”

“Good enough,” said Nalenne, and she, Quinn, Jaesa, Rho, Kira, and HK-51 strode into the alleyway.

Part 3-46. In which a figure is unmasked

There once was a troublesome blonde

Who kept up the weirdest Force bond.

Her time she would sink

In a troublesome link

Then ask help for the trouble she spawned.

Nalenne and Rho led the way into the alley, side by side in either a heartwarming demonstration of solidarity or a locked-in knowledge that at least neither one could backstab the other without a really obvious maneuver first.

They passed by a couple of ramshackle heaps that might charitably be called buildings and around a couple of ragged, at times charred-looking holes in the boardwalk itself. Finally, in the shadow near a door at the far end, the same knockout figure that had appeared in the holo record waited.

“It’s her,” whispered Jaesa. “From the holo.”

“You can tell?” said Nalenne.

“Yes. It’s her, um, yes.”

“Right, then.” Nalenne kept her weapon in hand but deactivated. That was practically a peace sign right there.

The woman pulled her mask and hood away, revealing a cascade of mussed yellow hair.

“Lana Beniko!” Rho sounded genuinely happy to see her. “You’re safe!”

“And none the worse for wear,” said Lana in her habitual calm voice. “Wrath, good to see you again. Any word from your namesake?”

“Blah, blah, kill crush,” reported Nalenne. “Business as usual.”

“Pretty cagey.” Therobird Shan and his jacket shoulders swaggered out of the doorway and took up a station beside Lana. “Think you’d be more open with Lana after all she’s sacrificed for your Empire.”

“Oh, the Empire stays ill-informed, too,” Nalenne said cheerfully. Quinn made a small noise that might have been a whimper.

“Hello, Theron,” said Rho. “It’s good to see you.”

“You know what terrifies me about him?” said Nalenne. “He means it. He always means it.”

“Let’s get inside,” said Lana.

The Revanites, Lana Beniko went on to explain, were on Rishi, though in what numbers of what people doing what for what reason she didn’t know. In fact all they had managed to do to date was not get caught themselves, a feat they wished to continue for as long as possible.

The purpose of the Red Hulls, now that they existed as a pirate gang completely separate from outside affiliations (Nalenne was privately grateful that the hats and capes detracted a bit from Insanity Company’s uniforms), was to pick a fight with the Nova Blades, the gang supporting local Revan-villainy. For some reason the Nova Blades were attacking Republic and Imperial shipping lanes, remapping the sector for reasons unknown but probably bad. If the Red Hulls made enough noise, they could smash in and extract that information while just looking blindly destructive.

“You want someone to look blindly destructive?” said Nalenne. “Boy, do I have the pirate warlord for you.”

“There must be a simpler way to do this,” said Rho.

“Sorry, Master Jedi.” Theron didn’t look all that sorry. “We can’t use your status against this without alerting the Revanites to what we’re up to.”

“And they’re not alerted to people matching the descriptions of the Emperor’s Wrath and the Hero of Tython suddenly taking up shop as the city’s most notorious pirate masters?” said Nalenne.

There was an awkward silence.

“N-no,” said Lana. “I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

Part 3-47. In which a principled person has principles

A Jedi known only as Rho

Had, in practical terms, far to go.

His virtue was fine

When he played toe-the-line,

But his deadlier traits…well, you know.

“Should we contact your sister?” said Rho.

“Why would I ever want to contact my sister?” said Nalenne. “Apart from when I want her to do work for me.”

“Lana and Theron were expecting her. Hence the three Red Hull captains. She deserves to be in on this investigation.”

“She deserves a lot of things, none of them pleasant and none of them having to do with me. Do you really want another vote for ‘wanton destruction’ on this team?”

“Oh,” said Rho. “Maybe not.”

So, according to someone’s flawless logic, the thing to do was for Nalenne, Rho, and their pirate cohort to smash up the nearest Nova Blades encampment, posting the standard of the Red Hulls (an abstract muddle of Theron’s devising) and calling in air strikes from none other than Nic, who had apparently managed to negotiate a favorable enough rate to stick around.

Nalenne got to smash things. It was good. Even Rho seemed to be getting into the spirit of things, pausing to swing his hat and yell “Red Hulls!” between fights.

They called back to base in high spirits. Theron already had a suggestion for their next target: a slave camp on a nearby island.

“Slaves?” said Rho. “They deal in slaves?”

“Anybody who won’t give the Nova Blades their due gets packed away,” said Theron.

“Yes,” said Rho. “Let’s go there.”

“See?” said Nalenne. “You’re getting the hang of this.”

They got direction by the simple expedient of Nalenne holding a lightsaber to the temple of the next pilot due to leave from their current camp to the slave camp. He was very accommodating, a fact Nalenne almost regretted until Rho reminded her that the pilot couldn’t get them anywhere while dead.

“Fair game on the way back, though,” she said.

Rho’s usual equilibrium lasted exactly until they found the first massive wicker cage in the slave camps.

“Can we arrest all the slavers?” he said to no one in particular.

“No,” said Nalenne. “I’m pretty sure nothing is illegal on this planet.”

“Oh,” said Rho while he unhooked the cage. He directed the distinctly unhealthy-looking people streaming out back toward the landing pad, where Nalenne had left Jaesa waiting.

Then they rounded a corner. Four Nova Blades were lounging around. Rho, before Nalenne could move, jumped into the center and executed a flowing movement that started with a lateral sweep and ended with the fourth Nova Blade bending over his gut and dying.

“Uh,” said Nalenne. “Wow.”

“Red Hulls,” said Rho, unhooking another cage. “Come on, I bet there’s more.”

“So, uh. Strong feelings on slavers, then.”

“They’re the scum of the galaxy,” said Rho. “They deserve all the mercy and compassion they have extended to others.”

“Right. Yes. Of course.” Nalenne rubbed a suddenly tense muscle in her neck. “Vette,” she said, eyeing the Twi’lek’s collar, “could you just sidle over here by me?”

Vette looked up from checking her blaster. “No. Hey, while we’re at it on Slave Island could we keep an eye out for a universal slave remote?”

Rho cast them both a befuddled look. “To be honest I sort of assumed her collar was a fashion statement,” he said. “She’s not very…slave-y.”

“You’re too kind,” Vette said, in a tone of voice no one could immediately classify.

Rho brought his saber up to guard again and stepped forward. “Come on, there’s another cage over there.”

“Wait a minute, are you earning us a reputation for being nice?” said Nalenne.

Rho scowled at a few distant silhouettes. “Not to them.”

Part 3-48. In which the plan is torched

Protection is tricky at best:

So you serve at somebody’s behest.

First here and then there,

Just guard everywhere,

Or you flub it and fail the test.

Rho and Nalenne stood awkwardly side by side.

“Are you sure you remembered the right address?” said Rho.

“I just want to know what burned this exact building to the ground without taking out the rest of the boardwalk,” said Nalenne.

An enterprising Devaronian had set up a desk next to the scorch mark and was loudly offering fabulous ready-to-build real estate here in highly desirable downtown.

Nalenne extended what passed for her non-combat Force sense into the drunkenly leaning remainders of support beams. “They aren’t in there.”

“Neither is anybody else,” said Rho.

“Right. I was going to care about that, too.”

There was a pause.

“You know,” said Rho, “when decency happens to coincide with self-interest I think there’s hope for you.”

“I will give that…flattery?...exactly the recognition it deserves,” said Nalenne. “Here, let’s try the holo.”

While the Devaronian started chatting up a Trandoshan in slick business wear, Nalenne pulled out her holo and dialed Lana Beniko.

“Who are we supposed to kill to find the Revanites if our non-combat minions are dead?” Nalenne said uneasily while the ringing went on.

“I can investigate. Teeseven will help slicing their systems.”

“Does your droid even know what undercover means?”

“He can learn,” Rho said stoutly.

“Republic technology,” scoffed Rutau. “My lord. Permission to go secure the Blaster’s Path?”

“Granted. Keep Hareth out of trouble. I’ll update you once – oh, there.”

Lana’s yellow hair might have been more mussed than usual. It was hard to tell. “Lord Wrath. Master Rho. I’m so relieved.”

“I couldn’t tell whether our emergency message made it out,” elaborated Theron. “You both there?”

Rho stepped in entirely too close. Nalenne was keenly aware of his hovering virtue field. “Yes, we’re all safe,” he said. “What happened?”

“Our cover was blown,” said Lana. “It can’t have been an accident, the destruction was too precise.”

“So,” said Kira. “We visit you and an hour later you’re on fire.”

“The mission has to go on,” said Theron. “It’ll take me some time to slice what I need to get you guys into the Nova Blade base. But once you’re in we need you ready to pull every file having to do with the Revanites. That hasn’t changed.”

“Yes,” said Lana. “We’ll just take our time finding a safer safe house.”

“You could stick with Insanity Company,” said Nalenne. “Nobody’s set them on fire yet.”

“Thanks,” said Theron, “but no thanks.”

What! Did I miss Talk Like a Pirate Day?? Ah well, they'll have their chance...

Part 3-49. In which our heroes idle over heroes

With different mindsets we flirt,

A true tête-a-tête might not hurt.

First impressions aside,

Let’s open minds wide:

Common ground is as common as dirt.

“Duranium Man,” said Nalenne.

“Captain Kaas,” said Rho.

“What?”

“Obviously I don’t agree with his principles, but I admire his single-mindedness in upholding them. He selflessly fights for what he believes in. And maybe he was manipulated into that position, but he never complains. He chose to trust his government to implement his enhancements and he uses them with judgment and loyalty.”

“And brings the crushing might of the Empire against Republic and Jedi.”

“Give me an opponent who fights for what he believes in over a wastrel like Duranium Man or a blind bruiser like the Remarkable Brute every time.”

“Wastrel, in possession of an ounce of style, same thing, right?”

“I’m a little surprised you didn’t say Scarlet Nexu, to be honest.”

“Is she really in S.A.B.E.R? Apart from that one crossover.”

“It counts.”

“And how do you know about Scarlet Nexu?”

Rho blushed darker green. “I did read the crossover when it came up. Honestly, she s-sort of reminds me of you.”

“I don’t know whether to be flattered or creeped out. Little of both.”

“So,” Kira said loudly, “you think we got their attention?”

“My lord,” added Quinn, “I need you to sign this.”

Nalenne, curious at the interruption, squinted at the datapad. “Quinn, this looks like a form, uh, 268 Format B, for approval to paint a ship.”

“Is it?” he said blandly. “Why yes, it’s so.”

“Why are we painting the Helicarrier?”

He straightened to a marginally crisper pose. “I have predicted a point three six two percent improvement in atmospheric maneuvering if we provide a fresh coat of paint, my lord.”

“That and he pulled up the first form he could find to shove in your face to get you to stop talking to Rho,” chirped Vette.

Quinn clamped his teeth together. “Vette…”

“Rho and I weren’t even talking,” said Nalenne. “I was talking and he was periodically making noise to convince himself this was a conversation.” She looked around. “Where’d he go, anyway?”

“Right around when Captain Smooth made his move Kira said she and Rho really needed to meditate,” said Vette, as cheerfully as before. “With those two I honestly can’t decide whether that’s a euphemism.”

“Eugh,” said Nalenne. “I think I need a drink after that mental image. Follow me, everybody.” She swept her cape around dramatically and started walking. “Captain Kaas,” she muttered. “Really.”

I like Captain Kaas,” muttered Quinn, in the tones of a man seriously reevaluating his life choices.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Woo, 100 posts! Nalenne always did know how to get me babbling...

Part 3-50 In which Nalenne hears from an old sorta kinda friend

This story contains spoilers for the Sith Warrior Rishi quest.

There once was a – spoiler? Oh, right,

Who worked with the Empire’s might.

Though suave and urbane,

He might not be quite sane;

His plans are as kooky as bright.

The fearsome pirates of the Red Hulls were based out of the Blaster’s Path cantina, a circumstance that led to some heavy reshuffling of pirate gang turf boundaries. Disagreements were dealt with quickly and loudly. Eventually they got the hint.

However, Nalenne also liked patrolling her new territory on the crazed cascade of boardwalks that was a Rishi city, and Rho usually came with her in a dismal attempt to restrain her usual excesses. In a way it all contributed towards the Red Hulls’ psychotically split reputation. The rumors of the missing third head were legendary in scale.

Rho stumbled and clutched his head.

Nalenne reflexively reached out. “Are you – I mean, ha! ha! Why would I care! Dumb Jedi!” Nalenne dropped her hand and took a quick look around to make sure nobody thought she was treating him like one of her crew. “Haha! Oh look I have to take this.” She grabbed her buzzing holo and ran around the corner.

Only to see Darth Vowrawn’s holo image beaming up at her. “My dear friend the Wrath! Always a pleasure to see you intact.”

“This is kind of a busy time,” she said.

“Well, what’s life without a few surprises? There are matters I would like to discuss in person, and I happen to be near the Rishi system. Perhaps we can meet? Enjoy a respite from the bloodshed and destruction?”

“I’m still trying to get to the bloodshed and destruction,” she said desperately.

Vowrawn sighed, but his smile never wavered. “I just may have a direction for you.”

The office was a surprisingly cool and comfortable haven after the steamy grime of the rest of Rishi. It was a little sterile by Vowrawn’s standards; a rental, then, for yet another high-ranking Force user who thought he would only be here a little while.

Vowrawn beamed, his textured Sith features making Nalenne’s few ridges feel inadequate. “My good Wrath, you look the same as ever. How many Jedi have you slain today?”

Nalenne stopped, transfixed by guilt. And suddenly regretting having brought half her crew to witness. “Lots,” she said quickly. “A dozen at least. It’s been great. You?”

“Oh, I leave such pleasures to you, my friend! Yet I worry for your future. The Republic claims the Emperor is dead, but I hear rumors to the contrary. The game pieces are moving.”

Game pieces? Tools, more like, if he was talking about the Emperor’s people. “Really? They haven’t called me in weeks. I’ve been enjoying the quiet.”

Vowrawn leaned forward conspiratorially. “Consider this: the last Wrath of the Emperor served in that position for centuries, only departing after turning traitor. As I understand, you never chose to become the Wrath – the position was thrust upon you. What is it you truly desire?”

Her companions were, she thought, very, very attentive.

She knew where to start, at least. “Friends? Check. Husband? After a few minor problems, check. Freedom to hack down anything I want anywhere I go? Check. I’m pretty happy.”

“Ah,” sighed Vowrawn, “no doubt. Well. I have a gift to aid you in your endeavors. I have come upon indications that you are being watched, and have been for some time. These spies are mechanical, but ingeniously hidden using combinations of ancient and modern technology, welded into form using the Force.”

“…Droids,” said Nalenne.

“None other.”

“Oh that’s it.”

“If unknown forces are tracking and spying, then surely that concerns us all. An associate of mine with connections in the Gree Enclave manufactured this: a device to reveal them. Use it to reclaim your privacy, if you wish, or to look on the face of your watchers.”

“I have to go,” said Nalenne and Rho.

“Oh,” said Nalenne and Rho. “That’s fine. Yes. Go do your thing.”

“Rho?” said Kira.

“My lord?” said Quinn.

“Quinn, you’re with me. Vette, Jaesa, you too. The rest of you, guard the Blaster’s Path. Make sure everyone knows it’s ours. Oh, and try to get me a pirate ship or something. The watery kind. With sails. Huge sails.”

“Kira,” said Rho, “I need to meditate. I’m probably going to need you after.”

“You got it, boss.”

“Euphemism…?” Vette stage-whispered.

Kira shot her a blazing look. “Ugh.”