Returning Player deciding whether or not to be a guardian or Vanguard?

AdrlanxG

I am interested in taking on a Tanky role on the Pub side and really want this to be the main guy that I push into late Game PVE and such, but I have a few questions and hope this is the right spot for it as I am a virgin with tanking.

1. Do I stick to a DPS role then transition into a proper tank role at a later level?

2. Which tank performs best, Vanguard or Guardian when focusing on PVE and do tanks do well in PVP, or is that just full-on damage focused?

3. I have always been a healer in previous MMO's I have played in, so I am wondering if it is better to play a healer than a tank first.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my questions!

Currently running with a Sniper toon, but feel like the early ques for flashpoints are filled with DPS. Does this change more towards the higher flashpoints?

I actually just level up through all the story stuff as tank on my guardian, figured it as good way to go to really learn the spec.Hard decision cause Vanguard is fun too so I just made both. I don't really do OPs anymore just stick to casual things so I couldn't tell you how they do in those. But me personally I feel like I reall want to wield a lightsaber, it is Star Wars I know there's classes that don't use them but at the end of the day you can make a lightsaber look super cool with the right wardrobe things.

I am interested in taking on a Tanky role on the Pub side and really want this to be the main guy that I push into late Game PVE and such, but I have a few questions and hope this is the right spot for it as I am a virgin with tanking.

1. Do I stick to a DPS role then transition into a proper tank role at a later level?

2. Which tank performs best, Vanguard or Guardian when focusing on PVE and do tanks do well in PVP, or is that just full-on damage focused?

3. I have always been a healer in previous MMO's I have played in, so I am wondering if it is better to play a healer than a tank first.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my questions!

Currently running with a Sniper toon, but feel like the early ques for flashpoints are filled with DPS. Does this change more towards the higher flashpoints?

1. If you want to level more quickly then yes but then again you may want to practice a bit with tanking so it's a double edged sword if you will.

2. I suppose there are different things to be said for both classes. I personally can't stand the way Vanguard plays because it's the most boring class in the game as far as I'm concerned. But others love it. The Guardian does have the most defensive cooldowns. Still, if you really are going to do harder content, you probably want to get both since some fights are easier with another tank class and it's seen as a positive that you have versatility that way.

3. Well as a healer you can get a feel for the raids (operations) before you get into tanking. Also the healer perspective I feel is important for a tank to understand so even if you don't play a healer first, I would play a healer at some point.

For your FP question. At lower level it's all veteran mode which is role neutral. At level 75 (or is it 70) you get to play Master Mode that's a set up that requires a tank, healer and 2 dps.

You can level up tanking, especially if you are not in a rush, and want to learn tanking. DPS can be faster (killing mobs, etc) But I've levelled up with tanks, and had no major issue.

I'm not really a PvP'r anymore, so I'll leave that to the experts. Don't forget you also have the shadow tank, which can be fun, in fact my fav tank is assassin , possibly because it was my first tank, and I loved the lightning, and all the close quarters stuff.

Personally I don't think it matters much, especially if you level up while tanking, and learn your craft :)

But I'm sure the experts will step in and correct me if I'm wrong. If you have the time, you could always set up the three tanks, run each through the first two planets, and get a hold of them. If space is limited, set them up on a different server, and test them there.

There are a lot more DPS in game than anything else, and in VET there's no 'trinity' , so you will see more DPS.

Been a while since I've done MM, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think MM still has to have the 'trinity' (Tank, Heal, and 2 DPS) so you'll see more when you start doing them.

I personally love my guardian tank, but I guess, that is persona lpreference. I find the jedi knight story more negaging than the soldier story. I levelled my guardian as a tank and had no problems at all. It helps with learning your skills. Before that tank, I had only played healer and damage dealer, but I must say, I'm really amazed by the guardian tank.

I personally love my guardian tank, but I guess, that is persona lpreference. I find the jedi knight story more negaging than the soldier story. I levelled my guardian as a tank and had no problems at all. It helps with learning your skills. Before that tank, I had only played healer and damage dealer, but I must say, I'm really amazed by the guardian tank.

I've found that my guardian tank has more survivability if I encounter a player on the same skill level as me, in PvP instances. I normally give people a wide berth, but when it's sudden, or they try their luck, I've managed to hold my own.

I'll echo a lot of these sentiments. Its a good idea to have a few tanks, because they play a little differently. I've always leveled my tank characters in the tank spec, but it is undoubtedly slower. You don't really learn much about boss mechanics in either the class story or even in veteran flashpoints to be honest. Leveling up as a tank doesn't really introduce you to many of the mechanics you'd encounter in operations. However, it will get you familiar with the abilities you have and get a sense of the flow of your rotation.

They both have access to a dps discipline that lights things on fire, which is always good.

Story wise I think the jedi knight story is better than the trooper. There are some logistical advantages to doing trooper if you plan on taking the trooper through the KOTFE expansion, but to say much more would be spoiler territory.