Can't Decide on Advanced Class...help?

HKCHaN

Ok so I'm having trouble deciding on an advanced class for my smuggler so thought I would try and get some suggestions before I make my decision. I already have a healer (my vanguard) and I like the idea of dual wielding pistols, I like the look of dual wielding and typically I usually prefer ranged dps over healers (except for the trooper I prefer the vanguard over the other class and I did try the other class) I also did not like the Jedi Shadow though I normally enjoy stealth classes. Also I would like some good builds for both just in case I don't enjoy playing my first choice and have to go back. PS: I only play PVE.

I may be a little biased, but you should go with the gunslinger. I haven't tried scoundrel, but judging from the forums, they've been nerfed quite a bit, while the gunslinger seems to get a buff every other patch.

That said, full sharpshooter is a good build if you want to do only PVE, but I've been having fun with a 23/18/0 build.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bsrbdMRRZbIMbRob.1

You go up the sharpshooter tree enough to get trickshot and an energy reduction for it, but you also go up saboteur for your contingency charges on sabotage charges, which are always fun. Another fun bit is you not only get increased energy regeneration from Foxhole, but you also get energy back from each contingency charge that explodes, so you're almost never out of ammo.

You lose out on your extra Crit damage by not going up to Deadeye on the Sharpshooter tree, though, but I personally like the playstyle. That said, they're tweaking sharpshooter for 1.3, so you'll definitely have time to play around with skills to see what you like.

Ok so I'm having trouble deciding on an advanced class for my smuggler so thought I would try and get some suggestions before I make my decision. I already have a healer (my vanguard) and I like the idea of dual wielding pistols, I like the look of dual wielding and typically I usually prefer ranged dps over healers (except for the trooper I prefer the vanguard over the other class and I did try the other class) I also did not like the Jedi Shadow though I normally enjoy stealth classes. Also I would like some good builds for both just in case I don't enjoy playing my first choice and have to go back. PS: I only play PVE.

First thing I need to toss out right away is a Vanguard is NOT a healer. Do you possibly mean Commando? They are the trooper AC that has a healing tree...

That being said, it really comes down to preference of play style since both ACs are so different styles of play. Scoundrels are much more mobile and on-the-run and attack from close range. Gunslingers are very stationary in the sense that they do the most damage when they are behind cover and able to just mow down opponents.

Personally, I have a healing Operative (Scoundrel mirror) and I love it. To the one who said that, according to the forums, Scoundrels are nerfed messes, you broke the rule of believing all the QQing on the forums. Scoundrels can be very viable as a dps class and are amazing healers. The only thing is, they require a player who knows how to think ahead and manage their resources (energy) since it can easily run out in no time. But, yes, Scoundrels are a very viable class in both dps and healing should you choose to go that way, and I'm a bit biased in saying that you /should/ go healing should you choose Scoundrel.

Gunslingers, as I said, are much more stationary but do amazing ranged damage. They mostly hang back and stay stationary compared to most every other class that runs around like crazy. This is mostly because a lot of the powerful moves can be done from cover, and there's also an ability that they can't be jumped to or pushed from or pulled to anyone while in cover (although that's mostly considered a PvP skill more than a PvE one). Again, managing energy for Gunslingers is the key, since its very easy to suddenly be running dry in seconds.

Honestly though, it comes down to personal choice. If you like running around like crazy and being able to stealth and toss heals out as well, roll a Scoundral. If you basically want to be a turret that stays put but deals huge damage, roll the Gunslinger. Worst comes to worst: you roll one and find you dont like it so you just have to roll the other. This is a game and it's meant to be fun, so dont let anyone try and tell you which class is more fun than another. :)

Is this a good Scoundrel healing build?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MffrduoR0sZhfZb.1

Take out the points in Browbeater, your not DPS, so increased damage talents are worthless unless they are the best way to progress to the next tier, but you didn't get anything in the next tier, so there you go. Put these three points into Patient Studies, Emergent Emergencies, and No Holds Barred. I would also take the points from Scar Tissue and put them into Black Market Mods.

EDIT: Didn't see you had Sneaky talents, you really don't need them. You get an ability called SNEAK, that increases your stealth level, so don't worry about it,. So take those to points and put them into Black Market Mods, and keep Scar Tissue.

Edited by Ramahospitality

• 3 weeks later...