Name Unavailable, Please Choose Another.

MythosHero

I know, another one of these threads..

But, honestly, names are important to me, and I'm not the kind of person to just throw in an apostrophe (or one of those ill-conceived alt characters that makes contacting the character unnecessarily complicated). I just attempted to reserve names on my destination server. Several of them worked, but one of those that didn't was that of the character I've had since day one (well, technically, negative seven, but who's counting?)

Not saying that I'm more important or anything like that, but I won't be thrilled if I can't get Kalysta's name (or literally any of the alternates I was considering). BioWare's FAQ doesn't really elaborate much on the "number of factors" that will be taken into consideration.

I'm just hoping that this consolidation doesn't turn into an unmanageable clusterfluff of players who are upset about losing their names. Keep calm and carry on, I suppose.

Edited by MythosHero

My question is why the destination server wasn't made an empty server and names were assigned by a level and a "the person who got it first" method. (meaning hey this person made this toon on -6 but they aren't lvl 50 so we're gonna give it to the person who made there toon on -3 who is lvl 50) Had my name sence -6 and I just barely squeeked by keeping it with the first server transfer, now 6 of my 7 names have alrdy been taken. :(

My question is why the destination server wasn't made an empty server and names were assigned by a level and a "the person who got it first" method. (meaning hey this person made this toon on -6 but they aren't lvl 50 so we're gonna give it to the person who made there toon on -3 who is lvl 50) Had my name sence -6 and I just barely squeeked by keeping it with the first server transfer, now 6 of my 7 names have alrdy been taken. :(

This wouldn't be fair for people who reserve their names during early access and who are still subscribed. Your server had as much chance to be a destination server than any of current destination servers. As for unsubscribed players who haven't played for months, then I'm sure no has any problems with releasing their character names.

Edited by _Babydoll_

I know, another one of these threads..

But, honestly, names are important to me, and I'm not the kind of person to just throw in an apostrophe (or one of those ill-conceived alt characters that makes contacting the character unnecessarily complicated). I just attempted to reserve names on my destination server. Several of them worked, but one of those that didn't was that of the character I've had since day one (well, technically, negative seven, but who's counting?)

Not saying that I'm more important or anything like that, but I won't be thrilled if I can't get Kalysta's name (or literally any of the alternates I was considering). BioWare's FAQ doesn't really elaborate much on the "number of factors" that will be taken into consideration.

I'm just hoping that this consolidation doesn't turn into an unmanageable clusterfluff of players who are upset about losing their names. Keep calm and carry on, I suppose.

Most players already transferred. There are only two people left on a origin server. People who refused to transfer due the loss of their character names and those that couldn't transfer due to the 8 server limit. The first group will get what's coming to them in few hours.

This wouldn't be fair for people who reserve their names during early access and who are still subscribed. Your server had as much chance to be a destination server than any of current destination servers. As for unsubscribed players who haven't played for months, then I'm sure no has any problems with releasing their character names.

How exactly is it not fair for people who reserve their names during early access? This is exactly who it is fair to. People who made there toons and actually played the game. And it would be really easy to make long term unsubed people low priority aswell.

How exactly is it not fair for people who reserve their names during early access? This is exactly who it is fair to. People who made there toons and actually played the game. And it would be really easy to make long term unsubed people low priority aswell.

Each server had an equal chance to be a destination server. There is no reason for people who happen to pick a winning server to have to draw again because your server lost. That was the whole point of early access. It didn't guarantee that your server would survive the usual depopulation that happens in mmorpg. It only guarantee that you would get early access to the server and if your server happen to survive, then you get to keep your name if not well too bad.

This happens in every mmorpg even in wow. That's why I say that picking a server that is left standing is purely luck. If your lucky enough to have chosen a server that is left standing you get to keep your names otherwise your force to rename during transfer or reroll. Any mmorpg vet knows this. For BW to go against this unwritten rule, would not go so lightly with most of the mmorpg players. It's always first come and first serve. If your server sinks well too bad.

Edited by _Babydoll_

Most players already transferred. There are only two people left on a origin server. People who refused to transfer due the loss of their character names and those that couldn't transfer due to the 8 server limit. The first group will get what's coming to them in few hours.
Umm...what about the folks who already moved to a destination server, like Drooga or Canderous, who are being moved again? I can understand their frustration.

Each server had an equal chance to be a destination server. There is no reason for people who happen to pick a winning server to have to draw again because your server lost. That was the whole point of early access. It didn't guarantee that your server would survive the usual depopulation that happens in mmorpg. It only guarantee that you would get early access to the server and if your server happen to survive, then you get to keep your name if not well too bad.

This happens in every mmorpg even in wow. That's why I say that picking a server that is left standing is purely luck. If your lucky enough to have chosen a server that is left standing you get to keep your names otherwise your force to rename during transfer or reroll. Any mmorpg vet knows this. For BW to go against this unwritten rule, would not go so lightly with most of the mmorpg players. It's always first come and first server. If your server sinks well too bad.

Just figured they'd want to retain their most loyal customers. Not alienate them with your "name lottery" system and a "oh well too bad for you" attitude.

I've been on Canderous Ordo since launch. The move to Jedi Covenant came as a bit of a surprise to me.

• Dev Post

Hello everyone! Because we already have a thread for discussion of this issue, we're going to close this thread and ask you to join in the conversation there: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=533429.

Please note this post from Community Manager from Joveth Gonzalez about the topic:

When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.